• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World | Review Thread

DryvBy

OpenCritic Overall = Mighty (32 reviews as of writing this)

Pre-order for tomorrow

IGN - 9.5/10
Whether or not it's the best, this is certainly the most audacious Monster Hunter game. World takes a dramatic leap into a look, feel, and size that feels truly new, simultaneously staying true to the series' ideals by maintaining the addictive loop of combat, intimidating monsters and meaningful upgrades that fans love. The sheer depth and commitment required is still intense, but it clearly isn't Capcom's aim to court a casual crowd. This is as all-consuming and incredible a ride as ever.

DualShockers - 9.5 / 10
They created an immersive living and breathing world, allowing players to fully enjoy the charm of the titular monsters within a credible ecosystem. Combined with solid improvements in story and gameplay, this makes Monster Hunter World a must-have game for veteran fans and novices alike.

RPG Site - 9 / 10
Capcom brings Monster Hunter back to the big screen in a big way, culminating in perhaps the best game in the franchise's history.

Destructoid - 9 / 10
If you've been skipping out on Monster Hunter games for a while because they seem to blend together, jumping into World is your chance to get in. Just know that Capcom hasn't really shaken up the formula enough to piss off veterans or appeal to people who don't welcome grinding with open arms.

USGamer - 5 / 5
Monster Hunter has been in need of a big change for years, and this reboot-of-sorts could have easily gone wrong. Instead, Capcom took a careful look at Monster Hunter's design and cut all the fat while leaving the series trademark dense gameplay completely intact. All the changes, from the broad, sweeping ones to the granular alterations, only serve to improve an already winning formula. The next generation of Monster Hunter has finally begun, and, with Monster Hunter World, it's off to an incredibly good start.

God is a Geek - 8.5 / 10
From the gorgeous visuals to the design in its monsters and ecosystems, Capcom has made the best Monster Hunter game yet. It's just a shame it doesn't help with its complex systems an occasionally poor explanations of them.

GameSpot - 8 / 10
Monster Hunter World successfully proves that it's both about size and how you use it.

Push Square - 8 / 10
Monster Hunter: World is easily the finest entry in the franchise to date. The move to PS4 has only done it favours, with stunning visuals and environments that you'll want to get lost in. Flashy, satisfying combat will lead to many water cooler chats, and vastly improved online features make it a breeze to find help. It's a real shame that Capcom still hasn't found an ideal way to welcome new players, but if you are able to sink your teeth into World, you'll discover an incredible action RPG experience.

Last edited:
I just watched the IGN video review & I was waiting for this thread to go up. It's getting some great review scores so far; I might have to make this the first Monster Hunter title that I add to my collection.

I know that Monster Hunter is a big deal for a lot of gamers but was there much hype for MH World leading up to its release? It managed to completely slip under my radar.

Last edited:

Z3M0G

So IGN says this is NOT a "casual Monster Hunter" in any way shape or form. It is absolutely the hardcore experience. And people new to the series should not expect this to be an easy gate-way in.

I must way I was hoping for the easy way in, personally. I've tried 2 MH games in the past, I believe, and I found them a bit too demanding. The online multiplayer aspect of this one makes it more tempting, but I'm not sure if I want to get into it now.

But for the fans that were worried this would be watered down... great news for them.

Last edited:

DonF

I played a little of mon hon 2 f I believe on the psp and the gameplay loop and grind weren't for me. But it's getting good reviews and some even mention that the game has been streamlined in a good way. I might pick it up in the future.

DryvBy

I played a little of mon hon 2 f I believe on the psp and the gameplay loop and grind weren't for me. But it's getting good reviews and some even mention that the game has been streamlined in a good way. I might pick it up in the future.

I hated my experiences with MH outside of this one. Maybe because it's easier to play a console game vs a handheld and I'm playing with friends now.

Pejo

So IGN says this is NOT a "casual Monster Hunter" in any way shape or form. It is absolutely the hardcore experience. And people new to the series should not expect this to be an easy gate-way in.

I must way I was hoping for the easy way in, personally. I've tried 2 MH games in the past, I believe, and I found them a bit too demanding. The online multiplayer aspect of this one makes it more tempting, but I'm not sure if I want to get into it now.

But for the fans that were worried this would be watered down... great news for them.
In any Monster Hunter, there are definitely ways to ease into the game. For World, only based on the beta, I'd say it's picking a ranged class and learning the systems. Also, focus on armor with Defense armor skills, it will let you survive a lot of hits at low rank and get the feel for the combat. In this game, uniquely, you don't have to wear objectively worse defense armor to use a ranged class, so it's a lot nicer of a learning curve. Plus you can now move while shooting.

Also, find solace in the fact that there are going to be literally tons of new players joining the game for the first time like you. Plus I think it was Reddit that was doing an Adopt a Hunter program to teach new players the ropes.

Lilseb93

I'm excited to play this. This will be my first Monster Hunter game since I played one on the PSP (yes that long ago).

Velius

Banned
I only buy mature rated games for hardcore players such as myself.

If there's enough blood I think I'll pick this one up

Fbh

Great reviews.

I'm really undecided on this one. As allways the combat looks fun and now it's also visually great and they seem to have included some welcome qol improvements.

On the other hand I hate nothing more in a game than for it to not respect my time (I'd take P2W lootboxes over that) and every previous experience I've had with this franchise has been a textbook example of just that .

Last edited:

Sorne

Damn, looks like I'm gonna have to get this. I was on the edge before, but it seems to be legit good. Never played any MH games before though.

Grinchy

Banned
It's such torture to see the twitch streamers with their early access copies and I just have a timer on my PS4 telling me I have to wait until midnight.

G
Damn, looks like I'm gonna have to get this. I was on the edge before, but it seems to be legit good. Never played any MH games before though.

Great time to join the hunt! The tutorial is the most accessible from all the monster hunter games yet. And the big screen and dualshock 4 really helps too. Playing it on the psp was rough without the analog sticks.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Ugh, I was hoping when I went into Asda they would have it out early like they usually do, but no dice :(

Sucks I have to wait until tomorrow, plus it’s not being sent by royal main but by amazon logistics, which means knowing my luck it will get here at 11pm...

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Is there single player too? I I know the benefits are multi player, but for when those experiences aren’t available for me, there’s still a game I can play?

Or should I base it all on I’ll have a shit time if I’m playing by myself?

splattered

I wish Xbox got some sort of exclusive Dlc like ps4 has... Savage marcus/Dom or something with a Lancer could be fun :p

So happy to see it reviewing well!
Just about to go pick up my copy. Unbelievably hyped.
Hope to help out as many people as I can!

edit*

Or should I base it all on I’ll have a shit time if I’m playing by myself?

U can definitely play alone offline, it does not require u to stay online just to play the game.
U have an AI companion (a cat) that helps u on hunts providing support like healing.
The game isn't so unforgiving as to make ur life hell - it gives u all the tools u need to tackle all obstacles as long as u put the time into learning and mastering these systems.
One thing I find about playing solo is how immersive the experience can get - there's just nothing like standing toe to toe with a giant beast.
When u become familliar with ur target the hunt becomes almost like a dance - following ur partner's move accordingly through a dance of death.

tldr; yes u can play alone/offline - no u probably won't be at a disadvantage for doing so

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Bah... heard reports of performance being bad on Xbox one x, lower resolution than Pro and lots of LOD issues with foliage, making it the worst of the two...

I’m hoping to god that’s a cock up in either the site or the devs part because that should not be happening. At all.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
pislxL6.jpg

OvU2UoJ.jpg

*please be wrong*
*please be wrong*
*please be wrong*

Not my pics FYI.

I'll be picking this up tomorrow. My first Monster Hunter game too. I remember seeing screenshots of old MH games in gamepro but was sad to learn it was a handheld game.

I just hope I can find the time to get the most out of it.

PulseONE

That's excellent, about in line with the Famitsu ones

This is my first real dive into MH, along with 3 friends, all first timers, I'm so excited :D

Is it multiplayer?

Yeah 1-4 players, but from what I heard in reviews its perfectly playable solo, at least the main story

Last edited:

Unity2012

Great reviews. This will be my first MH game. I dabbled a little bit on the 3DS a long time ago for like 10mns and was lost. I did a bit of research before preordering yesterday and now I can't wait to get my hands on the game tonight when it releases. Great reviews. Thank you T The OP.

scydrex

Never played a Monster Hunter game... im intrigued by this game. Should i get it now or wait for later? Did not played the betas.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Never played a Monster Hunter game... im intrigued by this game. Should i get it now or wait for later? Did not played the betas.
Grind for gear don't rush the story. And try to stick to one style at first. And learn it.
The game WILL get hard but it pays out when you finally beat that one difficult boss.

Its ok to fail 10+ times. Your own skills at killing bosses get better and that is the thing most people like about monhun.

Mexen

I played the beta. As someone somewhat new to the series, I would say capcom did a good job at making it accessible. Plan on buying.

Been messing around the game all day today and gotta say it seems to be performing better than the beta (I have a base PS4). Especially after applying the day 1 patch.
I think I need serious help getting away from this game hahah

The Shepard

Finally can post!
Took a gamble pre ordering this game last week digitaly because I enjoyed the beta but was unsure if it would review well. I seem to have made the right choice according to the reviews. Looking forward to starting it later on.

jadedm17

I think it was Reddit that was doing an Adopt a Hunter program to teach new players the ropes.

I'm just finishing Breathe of the Wild, my first 3D Zelda game, and I've found it to be an incredible experience. Knowing fans are dedicated enough to their franchise to show the ropes* is really amazing to me. Glad to know Monster Hunter will have the same set of classy types: This may be my first Monster Hunter as well.

*DestinyGAF is the first to show me this passion. Sadly Destiny 2 has been a roller coaster of garbage idea, we are sorry, garbage idea, we are sorry etc

Last edited:

Rodolink

It's funny how MH being such an amazing experience since the first games, gets the attention now just because it's abstraction level is lower (aka "realistic" graphics) the only really big change imo this time is the open world levels and multiplayer structures

ps. I've played MH2, MH2FU, MH3 and the demo of MHW

Top Bottom