• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

YBdisk

I mean this t-rex already show'd various patterns, it could move from one area to another and shit...

And then you realize it's just a minor monster when the fucking dragon comes and picks it up or the lizards eats it :D

Rathalos is a wyvern and the Royal Ludroth clone was eating an Aptonoth. Get it right! (I'm joking).

I'm liking how this entry feels way more "alive".
I actually like the segregated/numbered area approach of previous games, but it always felt weird seeing loading screens and monsters vanishing into another area.

I wouldn't mind a free flowing map as long as the areas in between aren't too big/take too long to traverse. Just up the time limit to 1 hour.

Raide

Rathalos is a wyvern and the Royal Ludroth clone was eating an Aptonoth. Get it right! (I'm joking).

I'm liking how this entry feels way more "alive".
I actually like the segregated/numbered area approach of previous games, but it always felt weird seeing loading screens and monsters vanishing into another area.

I wouldn't mind a free flowing map as long as the areas in between aren't too big/take too long to traverse. Just up the time limit to 1 hour.

The maps are supposed to be pretty big. The showed off those flying monsters that might be a part of traversing the map when you're not on foot. Maybe leads to more than one monster perhaps?

JP_

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii9H4_hONKo

He mentions the maps are like 2.5x size of old maps. Still have numbered zones but they're connected without loading screens (mentions narrow pathways connecting some of them -- based on the footage, it appears that maybe monsters can chase you through those narrow pathways between zones).

YBdisk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii9H4_hONKo

He mentions the maps are like 2.5x size of old maps. Still have numbered zones but they're connected without loading screens (mentions narrow pathways connecting some of them -- based on the footage, it appears that maybe monsters can chase you through those narrow pathways between zones).

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Egg quests will hopefully be interesting again instead of just taking a mega dash juice and running the same path while the dumb AI is trying to catch up.

Wollan

First impression having seen the closed theatre demo:
It's better looking than what the trailer indicated (to me). It seems very clean and it's nice to see MH action crafted for the big screen without UI covering everything. Very thunderous.

Very cool how they were aggroing big nasties against each other. Also cool how the tracking & guide are flies that you can level up.

First impression having seen the closed theatre demo:
It's better looking than what the trailer indicated (to me). It seems very clean and it's nice to see MH action crafted for the big screen without UI covering everything. Very thunderous.

Very cool how they were aggroing big nasties against each other. Also cool how the tracking & guide are flies that you can level up.
Nice!

Thanks.

JP_

Banned
Some new clips from same demo (mostly old stuff): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL1v_AXeBZE

edit: I think new clips are 3:40-4:00 and 3:50-5:47

bNwiVV8.gif

Related to Royal Ludroth?

Du1LwTg.gif

Pack of Jagras attacking an Anjanath?

FwVqfzz.gif

Anjanath kicking up dirt as it attacks with its head (notice the player character puts their hands up when there's dirt flying -- also happens in above gif with Great Jagras)

1JcqOL2.gif

Jagras seem to respond to fire (at least when it's thrown)

edit: also, if you hadn't noticed, the nose isn't the only thing that Anjanath can expand

NiftyAmazingHarpyeagle.gif

bNwiVV8.gif

Du1LwTg.gif

FwVqfzz.gif

Anjanath kicking up dirt as it attacks with its head (notice the player character puts their hands up when there's dirt flying -- also happens in above gif with Great Jagras)

1JcqOL2.gif

edit: also, if you hadn't noticed, the nose isn't the only thing that Anjanath can expand

Very impressive attention to detail, thanks.

thefil

Notes from the multiplayer demo I saw:

+ 25 min limit for the mission popped up at beginning
+ scoutflies meter filled up as take samples, only gave trail after first 3rd, map after 2nd 3rd
+ bow can do a short dash between charge fire and free followup shot
+ no fall damage when going down waterfall
+ break waterfall dam with barrel bombs
+ returning to camp after mission objective
+ chasing a wounded monster around trying to finish it off was very hilarious
+ can do jump attacks off of sliding down inclines
+ environment has tons of gameplay element interactibles that would previously be only on consumers

Saw a bit more but they asked us not to talk about that. It was all very awesome.

JP_

Banned
I wonder if they're getting rid of blademaster/gunner armor distinction.

- Now that it all demands HD assets, it'd make sense to want to shrink your workload by half
- Now you can swap equipment at basecamp mid-mission -- putting aside presets, sharing armor would make swapping to gun more convenient
- In the short gunner clip, it looks like the same armor to me.

Can anyone that saw the demos confirm?

+ scoutflies meter filled up as take samples, only gave trail after first 3rd, map after 2nd 3rd
+ environment has tons of gameplay element interactibles that would previously be only on consumers

Saw a bit more but they asked us not to talk about that. It was all very awesome.

So jealous >.<

Huh? Is this a Dark Souls 2 style thing, where co-op partners have a limited time in your world? Or were the people that said "time limits are out" wrong?

I can say this now: If Capcom keeps time limits in and expects widespread appeal, they seriously don't understand the audience they're pursuing. Even good time limits like the ones in the Dead Rising series were stamped out because it's just a reviled concept in modern gaming.

thefil

Huh? Is this a Dark Souls 2 style thing, where co-op partners have a limited time in your world? Or were the people that said "time limits are out" wrong?

I can say this now: If Capcom keeps time limits in and expects widespread appeal, they seriously don't understand the audience they're pursuing. Even good time limits like the ones in the Dead Rising series were stamped out because it's just a reviled concept in modern gaming.

At the very start of the mission it said 25 min. No idea what happens if that timer runs out, or maybe the timer was just for the eventual Gamescom playable demo.

JP_

Banned

It might just be a limit for the e3 demo to keep the lines moving

Sarcasm

At the very start of the mission it said 25 min. No idea what happens if that timer runs out, or maybe the timer was just for the eventual Gamescom playable demo.

There has always been time limits in MH. Single player & multiplayer.

mhtimen6s1q.png

silva1991

bNwiVV8.gif

Du1LwTg.gif

FwVqfzz.gif

1JcqOL2.gif

Looking good.

All this info. Basically this is turning out to be a real evolution of the franchise. Can't wait.

wuth

I was skeptical, but after seeing the single player demo at E3 I am impressed. So many quality of life changes and new ways to disable or outmaneuver monster. Got to see some sick greatsword combat and a bit of the bowgun. A lot of what I saw were things I wished the portable versions had implemented that had finally been realized.

Good job, Capcom. If the game lives up to the demo's promises I am so in.

Skyzard

Banned
It looks better and funner than Ark, though if you can't have a dinosaur mount to ride about and mounted combat, they should have that.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So many quality of life and environment improvements. A real next gen leap.

Imagine not having to hover around zone boundaries as all kinds of shit occurs.

There has always been time limits in MH. Single player & multiplayer.

mhtimen6s1q.png

Of course, but previous info said that the timer was gone because of the change to mission structure. Probably one of the least controversial removals Capcom could make, the timer was always vestigial.

Now the question is whether this was a special timer for the demo only, or if that earlier info was incorrect and hunts are still timed.

Comandr

Of course, but previous info said that the timer was gone because of the change to mission structure. Probably one of the least controversial removals Capcom could make, the timer was always vestigial.

Now the question is whether this was a special timer for the demo only, or if that earlier info was incorrect and hunts are still timed.

It's extremely likely that this build is just a demo build. A small vertical slice with special rules meant for demoing. We will probably see this same demo at other events should there be any more that Capcom comes to. I have no idea how long the multiplayer demo was, but 25 minutes seems like a good duration for a demo at an expo. It's worth noting that 25 minutes is exactly half of their traditional timer length, lending credence to ”demo timer"

Anura

Well, even if hunts are still timed we can still assume that the 25min is demo only. The trial demos tend to give you far less time than normal.

Kyoufu

I'll enjoy not having monsters knock me into loading screens lol

The other day I got knocked into a loading screen (by a player) so I was like "I can't wait for next gen MH" as I dried my eyes and loaded back into the zone to continue the fight.

Turns out that as I loaded back in, Glavenus thought it would be a good idea to charge his spinning tail attack to OHKO me as soon as the zone loads.

I was so salty.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I'll enjoy not having monsters knock me into loading screens lol

The other day I got knocked into a loading screen (by a player) so I was like "I can't wait for next gen MH" as I dried my eyes and loaded back into the zone to continue the fight.

Turns out that as I loaded back in, Glavenus thought it would be a good idea to charge his spinning tail attack to OHKO me as soon as the zone loads.

I was so salty.

Severed tails a pixel off of the invisible "next area" point.

It looks better and funner than Ark, though if you can't have a dinosaur mount to ride about and mounted combat, they should have that.

You really can't compare MH and Ark. MH is designed with some actual balance and mechanics in place. Looks like the flying things are going to be transport in some sense anyway but these two games have virtually nothing in common.

So everyone realizes that this is basically the huge mainline next-gen MH title they've been asking for? Good. :D

I remember the hate of the first few pages.

Sarcasm

I hope some missions do. Maybe not all but it could be fun for some things.

Now take out egg carrying quests please lol.

Kinsei

Banned
So everyone realizes that this is basically the huge mainline next-gen MH title they've been asking for? Good. :D

I'm still unconvinced. I need to see a full hunt (Preferably without them also trying to pimp the new features) before I commit to thinking this game will be good.

I'm beyond sold at this point.

Kyoufu

I hope some missions do. Maybe not all but it could be fun for some things.

Now take out egg carrying quests please lol.

Egg carrying quests are awful...

...but maybe they'll be awesome in MHW? lol. Pop on your stealth mantle, grab the egg and get the hell out of th-*walks into a fly and drops egg*

Yeah, get rid of that shit.

Kinsei

Banned
Egg carrying quests are awful...

...but maybe they'll be awesome in MHW? lol. Pop on your stealth mantle, grab the egg and get the hell out of th-*walks into a fly and drops egg*

Yeah, get rid of that shit.

More like you'll be walking by a pack of <insert Bullfango equivalent here> and the stealth will wear off.

Jawmuncher

bNwiVV8.gif

Du1LwTg.gif

FwVqfzz.gif

1JcqOL2.gif

Definitely using some of these in an upcoming thread

PokéKong

It's safe to assume hunting styles from X aren't coming back, but there's not much need for Aerial with there being more ways to mount, including grapple swinging around. But has there been any sight of any mechanics which would somehow fill the role of Adept or Brave?

lyrick

I'm still not convinced. It's going to take a lot more info before my worries of them making it too accessible in an attempt to capture a larger audience are put to rest.

Absolutely no way in hell that Capcom is dumb enough to have a time limit on a co-op session. You have (pre) party system so it makes zero sense to have anything resembling a DS type co-op, not in a game where teamwork and communication is key. There might be certain quests with time limit but that's normal in MH.

I'm still not convinced. It's going to take a lot more info before my worries of them making it too accessible in an attempt to capture a larger audience are put to rest.

I feel bad for you. I was sold the moment I saw the trailer and the first tidbits came out. This is MH and a damn good one.

Kyoufu

Nope. You gather in a hub, you form your party of hunters and go out for some hunting action.

Monster Hunter is designed around multiplayer whereas Dark Souls is... not.

Top Bottom