• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

JP_

Banned
Read the OP. It comes from their stream.

No it sources this tweet: https://twitter.com/SocksyBear/status/874767706716852224

Which is responding to a question about XX, not the focus of World in terms of game design.

Actual statement:
is MHworld the next main series title and anything on MHXX for Switch?
"We're 100% focused on World for western audiences. Yes, this is next main title! We have nothing to announce for Switch currently"

"focused on World for western audiences" does not mean "focused on western audiences for World" -- they're just telling them not to expect XX in the west, to look forward to World instead.

MarkusRJR

Holy shit those screenshots look phenomenal. My last Monster Hunter was 3 Ultimate on Wii U and this looks to be a massive visual upgrade to say the least.

Still disappointed about there being no Xbox & PS4 crossplay for any games (but particularly in this case). All of my online gaming friends moved over to the PS4 this generation and now I can't play with them when I get this game. Hope they have AI companions ala God Eater for us single player plebs.

Qvoth

the suits system is intriguing... but i fear this might become too abusable, especially the lure/taunt suit?
like a lance or gunlance user can equip it and basically have a taunt? that seems pretty OP

The combat not being changed is great, but doesn't really address my concerns about the tracking stuff, the stealth elements, how well they'll handle the gameplay changes that will surround seamless zones, the poor monster designs, or how I honestly worry that the living stuff of monsters swooping in to fight each other or luring them to different areas sounds like it's the sort of thing that looks cool the first time but by the tenth hunt you just want to fight them normally.

Since they're not localizing Switch, it's very weird. Or this being MT Framework, which ran on Wii no problem, lacking a portable version makes very little sense.

This:
You're taking that quote out of context. They meant that their teams are focusing only on bringing MHW west, not that they're focusing the gameplay around the west.

Runner67

Day 1 for me too. I do hope that with the focus on the west now with the main series (bringing it to the west, not specifically western RPG changes), this means they will slow down releases and continue to support their games with updates. Monster Hunter has never had actual updates or DLC, its usually just locked on disc until a specific date. It would be nice to have a certain set of monsters and areas in this game, only to release sets of previous and new monsters and areas over time either as free updates or paid DLC if its warranted before they move on to a sequel. Anyway, I'm excited.

Chindogg

No it sources this tweet: https://twitter.com/SocksyBear/status/874767706716852224

Which is responding to a question about XX, not the focus of World.

Actual statement:

"focused on World for western audiences" does not mean "focused on western audiences for World"

I rewrote it, it came from discussions with Capcom employees. I misread and thought it was a stream but it was from Reddit.

There'll need to be some clarification. It doesn't come from that tweet. That's what confuses me.

You're taking that quote out of context. They meant that their teams are focusing only on bringing MHW west, not that they're focusing the gameplay around the west.

I didn't say anything about gameplay. My concern is that they're just putting the game on home consoles. I travel a lot and can't lug around a console with me. MH is a staple game on my travels. I moved on to Switch since it's a portable console. The fact they won't localize XX for Switch and are pushing this through really bothers me.

Day 1 for me too. I do hope that with the focus on the west now with the main series (bringing it to the west, not specifically western RPG changes), this means they will slow down releases and continue to support their games with updates. Monster Hunter has never had actual updates or DLC, its usually just locked on disc until a specific date. It would be nice to have a certain set of monsters and areas in this game, only to release sets of previous and new monsters and areas over time either as free updates or paid DLC if its warranted. Anyway, I'm excited.

I don't think anything was preventing them from doing that before, and it's not like GaaS/DLC are a western concept either

ldar247

Banned
Holy shit it sounds like it'll be the best MH game by far. Same top tier mechanics but upping the scale and grafix, removing the loading times between zones and new shit like the grappling hook. This is EXACTLY what I wanted out of a next gen MH game. And the best part is that I can use cheat engine to bypass all of the grinding and mining and other skinnerbox time waster bullshit in the game (seriously, that crap made me burnout on MH3U so hard after spending 150+ on it that I gave up 4U after 7 hours and didn't even bother with any of the subsequent games).

I was pretty sold on this for PS4, but if the PC version is going to be a great port at a higher potential frame rate (I imagine my i5-2500K and GTX 1060 can muscle through it) I may just get it on PC and use my DS4 to play it. Seems like a game that would be way easier with a controller than KB/M.

Boogiepop

Hmm... still say that if this game works for me, it'll be in spite of the additions, not because of them, but I'm becoming slightly less concerned. I at least realized that the removal of zones in turn removes the issues of a monster chilling near the edge of the zone, so that's nice.

My big concern right now is all the grappling stuff and environmental interaction. Like, if it's a small thing that occassionally supplements your normal gameplay loop then I guess that's fine (ala mounting, at least when you're not playing super mounting heavy), but I really, really hope it's not intrusive. And that the environment stuff isn't too super scripted/cinematic garbage that'll get old real quick.

Also really hate the idea of monsters fighting one another, as that sounds like it'll just make the game easier in a real lame way. In theory though, hopefully that points to the more interesting case of, say, actually having monsters team up in significant ways, to better challenge the player. (Actually, I'd similarly be a lot more cool with environmental stuff if it was more focused on the monster primarily using it to make things harder for players).

Oh, and I am never warming up on that bland as hell T-rex. Bottom tier (if not absolute worst in series) large monster design, and it's scary to me that THAT is what they want to show off in terms of designs, front and center.

Edit: Oh right, and I better not ever, ever need to bother with that stealth and tracking crap, as that looks like nothing I want to do in MH in the least.

^I honestly don't know how anyone expected otherwise.

I'm gonna have to double dip on this one. My friends are all on PS4, but I also want some glorious 60fps hunting. Also, I really want this to be successful, and buying it twice will help with that as well.

Yo damn. Spin-off naysayers just got blown the fuck out.

Without sounding like a "team non spin off fuck yeah suck it haterzzz" dbag, i am happy this is not a spin off. I am happy we are getting a full blown technologically current MH game. I was done with 3ds graphics and an XX port was not easing the pain.

A full from the ground switch game wouldve sufficed too. But as it stands, this is just as good for my personal tastes.

Chindogg

Without sounding like a "team non spin off fuck yeah suck it haterzzz" dbag, i am happy this is not a spin off. I am happy we are getting a full blown technologically current MH game. I was done with 3ds graphics and an XX port was not easing the pain.

A full from the ground switch game wouldve sufficed too. But as it stands, this is just as good for my personal tastes.

I just want a portable version for my travels. I'll probably get this on PC but the lack of a portable version is just frustrating.

eggandI

Banned
Looks like the MH I've always wanted. Very glad They've made these changes to the game. Hope the PC version isn't too far off

My only question is... how many new monsters and how many of current monsters comes back and in total?

My guess would be at least 1 or 2 new monster for each new map. So like a volcano, desert and snow field. Roughly 6-8 new monsters would be my bet with about the same number of returning monsters.

I am honestly not expecting a large number at all for World around mid 20s including elder dragons if we're lucky. Lets not forget post launch DLC!

The Gematsu screens appear to show 3200x1800 checkerboard rendering for the game. (Just my initial quick analysis, could be wrong.)

Nerazar

Considering there are 2 teams for Monster Hunter, the XX team will probably do Monster Hunter Portable 5.

Nah, the Switch will never get another Monster Hunter, you heard GAF. :)

The infos do sound great! Well, then I'll wait until the end of 2018 for my PC version, then. At least that's something to be grateful about: The First true MH experience on PC and it's even coming to the West.

Vena

No local is a hard pass unless it can be modded back in on PC.

I play these games with friends at game nights, not interested in online MH.

Top Bottom