• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter World (XB1/PS4, PC later, Early 2018) E3 info [Up: Effectively MH5]

Tom_Cody

why would you credit more capcom than nintendo, when nintendo is doing the job of advertising MH on the West? o_O
Great community support:

-The Monster Hunter blog and other online content
-Great participation at conventions like PAX East. I was convinced to buy my first MH title after experiencing their presence at NYCC.
-Great community management staff

Nintendo has definitely been a great partner, but I would credit Capcom just as much and I would credit the amazing MH community even moreso.

Nerazar

I think the opposite, it will tank in Japan (still do a million but not 3DS-PSP numbers) but will make up for it in the west with 5-6 million across 3 platforms

And what are you basing that on? The console performance so far is not doing your analysis a favor. Just because something releases on a platform (or 3 of them) does not make the general Western audience want to pursue it. Especially when the Japanese market will not cover the losses, which it probably won't.

aBarreras

Can everyone just stop with the "this isn't true monster hunter" talk? It's just flat out wrong. I'm sorry to portable fans and people that want offline multiplayer but beyond that this is Monster hunter. I have been a fan since PSP and the moment I saw that trailer on sonys conference I knew it was true Monster Hunter. It's the same art style. It's the same animation style. It's perfect. It's not some radical new take on Monster Hunter. People comparing it to Dmc are just wrong.

did you read the Dangeki information?

seems pretty radical change to me

This is the point that angers me the most, too. MH got bigger in the west over the years thanks to Nintendo actually doing fucking marketing and putting that shit out for Capcom.

World at least should've been on Switch. Not saying it should've been exclusive. Let everyone have a taste of the cake. But this? This is fucking horseshit.

It's Capcom's game. They don't owe it to any publisher. And considering where they are financially, I don't blame them for wanting to try something different with their most prized brand. While this game was initially in development, Capcom observed the industry landscape and all they saw in their best-friend Nintendo were two options: an archaic handheld and a failed home console. For all we know, the Switch might just get MHW (just not in Japan). Sucks for XX, though, but it's understandable why neither party are tripping over themselves to publish it in the West.

This might be even funnier than the Bayonetta 2 thread. I don't get why so many people feel entitled to the series. People act like the PSP games bombed when they did pretty good in their own right. Be vocal if you want MonHun on the Switch in your native language, but don't shit on the next mainline entry when everything points to it being just as good as any of the previous entries.

Mr Swine

Banned
Please, don't give Capcom any forecasting ideas.

What? I really don't think they are expecting that World will do 2-3 million worldwide when they want to expand the franchise. They could have let the game be on Switch/3DS then. I think they are hoping it will do more than 4 million in west and at least over a million in Japan

Metal B

The first infos are promising. They are sticking to the core parts while offering some nice-to-have features for modern audiences. But I still think that people will be debating about the changes which will happen quite passionately. The core audience is pretty strong with MH. And I don't know how Capcom wants to expand that group of people.
The last part is the most interesting, i read a few times, how Capcom tried to appeal more to the west. In the past they always seen to hold back to not alienate their fan base, but this time they seen to go all the way out. With the previews Resident Evil games, Street Fighter 5 and other games they had a questionable background, but since the new Resident Evil there position is a little more positive.

Quonny

Nice, all this sounds good to me. And even better that I'll be able to play it on a platform that doesn't murder my hand.

Demoli

What? I really don't think they are expecting that World will do 2-3 million worldwide when they want to expand the franchise. They could have let the game be on Switch/3DS then. I think they are hoping it will do more than 4 million in west and at least over a million in Japan

As shown by that table just psoted the highest selling MH when all stars alligned, was just short of 5M.

We all want this to be a success, but temper your expectations

studyguy

Knowing Capcom though, if it's successful, I'd put money down on them throwing MHW to handhelds or switch in some form or another.

Idk, I can't get behind the people taking this going multiplat console as a slight against them. I took issue with them jumping ship from PSP, but like this level of vitriol is a bit much.

Cuburt

I think its poetic how before MH World was announced, many disbelieved the 4chan rumour as it would result in MH5 not coming to Switch, and now some want to believe it as it undermines MHW and claims the true MH is coming to SW.

Confirmation bias 101.
There were also lots of people who derailed a XX announcement thread with a rumor to talk about MH5 (to the point mods had to step in and attempt to discourage rumor talk) when there was little hint of it being true besides the rumor and now that MH5/World is confirmed, people that are excited about their PS4 Monster Hunter want people to stop talking about the rumor or the Switch because it's ruining their excitement, even though MH5's confirmation makes it another detail the rumors got right, possibly confirming other unknown details.

You are right about it being a case of confirmation bias.

Knowing Capcom though, if it's successful, I'd put money down on them throwing MHW to handhelds or switch in some form or another.

Idk, I can't get behind the people taking this going multiplat console as a slight against them. I took issue with them jumping ship from PSP, but like this level of vitriol is a bit much.
Funny how them shoes fit differently when they switch feet.

Kinsei

Banned
What exactly feels differnt to you? No loading between areas? They still have differnt maps for vacant area, snow mountain area. That's still the same. It's just no loading in the area.

Moving while healing can drastically change the game. The quest structure is also radically different.

Ridley327

It's not hard to be somewhat pessimistic about its chances because of things like this:

That's an unrealistic number. Not even RE7 could reach 4 millions after RE5/6's number

...on top of all the other games that seemed like sure things failing to reach their forecasted numbers. I hope for their sake that this isn't so highly budgeted that it needs a big threshold to cross, but they still have a lot to lose if they overshoot their expectations.

aBarreras

What exactly feels differnt to you? No loading between areas? They still have differnt maps for valcano area, snow mountain area. That's still the same. It's just no loading in the area.

it seems it wont be mission based,

they just drop you on a map and the monsters are there.

they have territories? and sometimes you need to lure one to the other territory to it to reveal?

i just want to slay big monsters,

I think the opposite, it will tank in Japan (still do a million but not 3DS-PSP numbers) but will make up for it in the west with 5-6 million across 3 platforms

Definitely not 5-6 million but I agree that the PS4/XB1/PC demographic will easily make up for "losing" the players who only would play on portable platforms.

The Wii numbers were never really high so I think Nintendo console owners are not an issue to them at all. The only platform barely powerful enough to run it would be the Switch and that one hasn't sold enough yet to make a port profitable (maybe later). Not to mention that Capcom wants to finally utilize modern online systems in this series.

However, profits might be down because this game will likely cost much more to make than the previous games and their PS2 template.
So to be a hit, let's say above 3-4 million total, this game will need good word of mouth (and to be a good game of course). It's a very Japanese game and they should basically market it as a coop-Souls game.

rockyt

Kinda mix on this. It feels like Capcom is abandoning their Japan market in pursuit of the Western market again with the game focus toward the west. From my understanding Monster Hunter has only sold not so well to decent on console in the west where the crowd is in Japan and the game series usually rely on the ability to take the game with you and play against friends. I am interested in seeing the outcome of this one particulary. It might destroy the series, blow it up (succeed), or just plain not sell in one territory to do bad to decent in the other territory.

Nerazar

The last part is the most interesting, i read a few times, how Capcom tried to appeal more to the west. In the past they always seen to hold back to not alienate their fan base, but this time they seen to go all the way out. With the previews Resident Evil games, Street Fighter 5 and other games they had a questionable background, but since the new Resident Evil there position is a little more positive.

Capcom wouldn't want to tank their biggest franchise in Japan. So they will put a lot of effort into marketing etc. But as a home console experience, I would say that we should look at Dragon's Dogmas numbers (also a very Western game) instead of topping every record set so far. I mean, even MH Tri didn't destroy any record, even though it got promoted heavily and was an exclusive main title on a very successful platform.

Resident Evil and Street Fighter are just known in the West. MH is pretty niche compared to that. And one of its strong points was that you were able to play on the go for quick hunting action.

MH:W is a more sandbox experience compared to that. I think I would enjoy that as well since Tri was also my favorite title, but I'm the minority so far. The majority so far wants to have a title on the go.

Defuser

untitled-1ihuyi.jpg

I speculate those narrow areas shown in the image will probably act as 'loading area'

Means Monsters will have a hard time following you thus you can rest and use your potions. Thats probably to their solution for removing zones.

they have territories? and sometimes you need to lure one to the other territory to it to reveal?

There's definitly going to be a town and a place to cook food and prepare and probably a guild hall and all the things we are used to. I guess we just have to wait for them to show it but I really doubt it's gone. The quest structure is going to be similar. The rank system leading to G rank. That's all going to be there.

Kinsei

Banned
There's definitly going to be a town and a place to cook food and prepare and probably a guild hall and all the things we are used to. I guess we just have to wait for them to show it but I really doubt it's gone. The quest structure is going to be similar. The rank system leading to G rank. That's all going to be there.

I wouldn't hold your breath on G rank. That will be part of an expansion or DLC.

R0ckman

What exactly feels differnt to you? No loading between areas? They still have differnt maps for valcano area, snow mountain area. That's still the same. It's just no loading in the area.

He means this -

Originally Posted by Dengeki

Monster Hunter: World has been in development for four years.

Originally, it was going to be called "Monster Hunter 5", but the development team really liked the name, "World"

The Base Camp spawns in random places. Each time a hunt starts, hunters will be at a different Base Camp.

Hunters can change weapons and armor midhunt by going to the Base Camp. This feature was added due to there usually being multiple large monsters in an area and from each having a different strength or weakness.

Hunters can now hunt freely without being held back by the main objective/quest, even if the quest is complete. Hunters can hunt freely without any limits now.

Hunters use Scout Flies as guides to help them navigate the area if they can't find the monster and to find certain items, including drool and footprints.

The monsters can easily change the environment you are fighting in with certain attacks and destroying certain objects.

Each large monster in a location has a territory in a certain part of the area. In some cases, hunters may need to lure another threat into their territory in order to get their target to reveal itself.

By hiding from monsters, hunters can avoid fighting them or prepare for a silent escape from the battle.

Capcom thought about giving the monsters health bars due to a majority of people. Globally, fans requested for a way to see how much damage they were dealing, so Capcom decided to add damage numbers to the this game.

The Quest Giver was fully voiced in English, and she sent the hunter on a quest to hunt an Anjanath, the T-rex-like monster shown in the reveal.

Hunters can quickly pick up resources as they run by, meaning you don’t have to stop and wait for foraging animations.

These are minor tweaks that are just more respect to the players time playing and enjoying themselves. Honestly, time was never really a factor if you were really good at the game or were hunting with a full party. Forging for items time was dastrically reduce (you could easily tell in the videos too).

jrDev

If this sells more than 3 million combined across all platforms in the west, I'll be surprised...

And what exactly did you read to come to this conclusion? From what I read the game is still quest based, only difference is that there is no timer.

OmegaZero

I speculate those narrow areas shown in the image will probably act as 'loading area'

Means Monsters will have a hard time following you thus you can rest and use your potions. Thats probably to their solution for removing zones.

That's exactly what I was assuming they would do in an open world type MH. :0
This is looking more and more like my dream MH game. If certain monsters can also actively "stalk" you and engage the fight themselves than I would probably be the most hyped I've ever been for a game.

thefil

Huge fan of the series and saw the single player theatre demo at E3. I came away feeling this is definitely a traditional Monster Hunter made "next-gen". Here are my notes:

+ Health and stamina bars not always visible
+ Use items at near full movement speed
+ Can lock on to monsters and quick turn camera like 3DS
+ Scout flies replace paintballs and show both trail and location
+ you activate scout flies by finding residue from a monster and taking samples, seems you can get enough to make it permanently on
+ Minimap can zoom to zone
+ Map still segregated into numbered zones, more interconnected, and no loading between them. But moving between zones is generally via narrow corridors
+ Slingshot used a lot for luring monsters
+ Traps and flash bombs built into environment, maybe still consumables available?
+ Some kind of paralysis inducing consumable knife
+ Monsters have a lot of cool animations for fighting each other, picking each other up
+ Mounting works like 4U, but you can move between mount spots. Also some way of eventually doing an attack
+ Great Sword moveset looks the same, but the effects for charge were much less intense audiovisually
+ Cutting tail looks hilariously exactly the same
+ Can use hookshot thing to repel down surfaces
+ Two new large monsters - the TRex and the frog thing
+ frog thing regurgitated some food it ate for little monsters to enjoy
+ had some way of summoning the flying monster to take you to base camp at seemingly any time
+ change weapons and armour at base camp
+ had a Palico buddy complete with its own weapon armour
+ HBG looked like it could always move slowly while shooting
+ HBG machine gun thing seemed like a special mode, depleted a meter
+ HBG had many ammo types and traditional ammo switching mechanics
+ sharpness meter was visible but never sharpened
+ gathering plants was instant with no animation
+ carving was slow
+ the demo had really aggressive tutorializing with the quest giver talking to you throughout and her head popping up on the right of the screen

Kinsei

Banned
And what exactly did you read to come to this conclusion? From what I read the game is still quest based, only difference is that there is no timer.

The Dengeki info makes it sound like the "quests" are just objectives for you to complete in free hunt areas.

Ridley327

There's no question about it, same as the interactive zone changes, like the waterfall sequence. One of my big concerns is how frequent they might be, since it has the potential to bog down hunts, so I hope they're not as numerous as I fear.

+ Great Sword moveset looks the same, but the effects for charge were much less intense audiovisually

STOP EVERYTHING AND FIX THIS NOW

aBarreras

it reads like it will be a quest checklist, because you can continue to hunt even if you already completed the quest.

so thats a big difference.

Cuburt

It's multiplat coming to every platform but the Switch, while Nintendo platforms are proven to have an audience for it. This isn't like Sony fans melting down over FF13 also coming to Xbox 360.

Besides, I don't think most people are mad about this "going multi plat" but that Capcom has made it a point that they are only focusing on World for the West and refuse to comment on XX being localized, a game that already exists and has some localization already done, especially since they know there is an audience for it.

They can't even sell 3 million copies of Resident Evil. What makes you think this brand (which draw was portability in the first place) will suddenly pull that? Sales than not even horizon, as pushed as it was, has been able to pull?

This game will be lucky if it sells over 300k first month in the US. I don't see how this isn't a super risky gamble for Capcom.

Kinsei

Banned
There's no question about it, same as the interactive zone changes, like the waterfall sequence. One of my big concerns is how frequent they might be, since it has the potential to bog down hunts, so I hope they're not as numerous as I fear.

STOP EVERYTHING AND FIX THIS NOW

Seriously. What's the rationale behind making the attacks of the heavy weapon less satisfying.

Nah it's still mission based. You do start in a randomised location for your base camp though, guessing there's a preset bunch of areas your camp can be.

Also, mission givers have voice overs now.

Huge fan of the series and just saw the single player theatre demo at E3. I came away feeling this is definitely a traditional Monster Hunter made "next-gen". Here are my notes:

+ Use items at near full movement speed
+ you activate scout flies by finding residue from a monster and taking samples, seems you can get enough to make it permanently on
+ Minimap can zoom to zone
+ Map still segregated into numbered zones, more interconnected, and no loading between them. But moving between zones is generally via narrow corridors
+ Slingshot used a lot for luring monsters
+ Traps and flash bombs built into environment, maybe still consumables available?
+ Some kind of paralysis inducing consumable knife
+ Monsters have a lot of cool animations for fighting each other, picking each other up
+ Mounting works like 4U, but you can move between mount spots. Also some way of eventually doing an attack
+ Can use hookshot thing to repel down surfaces
+ Two new large monsters - the TRex and the frog thing
+ frog thing regurgitated some food it ate for little monsters to enjoy
+ had some way of summoning the flying monster to take you to base camp at seemingly any time
+ change weapons and armour at base camp
+ had a Palico buddy complete with its own weapon armour
+ HBG looked like it could always move slowly while shooting
+ HBG machine gun thing seemed like a special mode, depleted a meter
+ HBG had many ammo types and traditional ammo switching mechanics
+ carving was slow

Thank you for this. :) You're awesome.

The Dengeki info makes it sound like the "quests" are just objectives for you to complete in free hunt areas.
It sounds more like you are free to hunt other monsters after a quest is completed. I bet you'll still only be able to accept one quest at a time.

Would prefer no lock-on and animations for gathering (as well using potions should also take a bit of effort/planning). Or have a feline auto-picking it up for you :)

I hope they will change the attacks to be more flashy. I guess they want it to look less arcade-y but there doing themselves a disservice.

Mr Swine

Banned
They can't even sell 3 million copies of Resident Evil. What makes you think this brand (which draw was portability in the first place) will suddenly pull that? Sales than not even horizon, as pushed as it was, has been able to pull?

This game will be lucky if it sells over 300k first month in the US. I don't see how this isn't a super risky gamble for Capcom.

Seeing how RE7 is a first person game and not a third person I think that is the reason to why it's not been selling as well as RE4/5/6.

MonHun is mostly the same like the other games and I think that with good marketing it will be successful. If not then I have misjudged the market if it doesn't do at least 3-4 million worldwide. Or it does 3 million in Japan and 1-2 million in west lol

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Just a auto-hide HUD thing I take it?

+ you activate scout flies by finding residue from a monster and taking samples,
Oh! Glad this is a consumable item and not a modern "detective mode" kind of thing --
seems you can get enough to make it permanently on
.....Goddammit?

Excellent

Not sure what this means? There was a sharpness meter but the player never took it into account/never sharpened during the demo?

+ carving was slow
That should be OK. Gathering plants was a bit tedious, though I didn't mind the animation. But it's not like you usually had a "risk" in gathering 'cause you'd usually wait for the area to be clear of monsters anyway. Carving is different so I'm glad it's riskier, plus the carving animation was satisfying.

+ the demo had really aggressive tutorializing with the quest giver talking to you throughout and her head popping up on the right of the screen
If it's just for a first mission/tutorial that should be fine.

gconsole

This is the point that angers me the most, too. MH got bigger in the west over the years thanks to Nintendo actually doing fucking marketing and putting that shit out for Capcom.

World at least should've been on Switch. Not saying it should've been exclusive. Let everyone have a taste of the cake. But this? This is fucking horseshit.

It is popular because it is Monster Hunter not because Nintendo publish it ....

Top Bottom