• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter X (3DS) announced

NA release 2017?

mid-late 2016 is my bet. Relative to when it came out in Japan, we got 4G/4U pretty quickly. Also given that 4U did so well over here, I reckon that's even more reason for Capcom/Nintendo to get this one out in the west quicker.

If that ends up being the case I may hold off on importing since I'll still be knee deep in 4U and don't want to burn myself out.

ramyeon

I hope so too, but the hunting seems the same as the main series. I don't get why this is a spin off if that's the case. Why they didn't just simply name it MH4X or something else.
I suppose if the combat is significantly different or sped up then they may want to play it safe by keeping it separate from the mainline games for now? Hard to tell much from the trailer though, yeah.

I hope so too, but the hunting seems the same as the main series. I don't get why this is a spin off if that's the case. Why they didn't just simply name it MH4X or something else.

To make people who just bought 4G/4U feel less exploited by branding it as a spinoff instead of another expansion/upgrade/re-release thing

To give themselves the freedom to leave the gameplay changes quarantined in a side-game if they prove unpopular.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Well that makes two MH spin-offs that might be more to my taste. This looks more like a fast-action game. Does it say if it's the same 4 player format for this? Really curious if they want to make it a single player focused game.

raven777

ReflectingWeeFlounder.gif

Apenheul

Could this be a single-player focused Monster Hunter spinoff? I didn't see any other hunter besides the main character.

Did I just see Yukumo Village and also Pokke Village in that trailer? If so, that doubles my hype :O I hope it releases here next year.... I need this. We all do!

But is it really a spinoff? Since they've skipped the usual second iteration (Portable series) of 4, this might just be its equivalent (but even more fleshed out).

R.D.Blax

Never got in Monster Hunter before, the gameplay always looked to stiff to me but this spin off seeùs interesting. Going to keep an eye on this

magnetic

This looks way more similar to regular MH than I anticipated.

Faster combat plus hopefully less running around mining shit for hours sounds like my personal dream game, though. Grinding for materials is what killed my interest after 100 hours of MH4U. Love the combat, hate the progression.

If this is more arcadey (maybe even giving ranking for performance!) I'll be all over it.

I would also love at least slightly shorter battles, the ones on regular MH can often drag on much longer than I enjoy them and feel more like a war of attrition.

But is it really a spinoff? Since they've skipped the usual second iteration (Portable series) of 4, this might just be its equivalent (but even more fleshed out).

I thought the Portable series was redundant now that mainline games are handheld. It does looks pretty beefy, though. Almost like a MH4.5, which is great.

I thought the Portable series was redundant now that mainline games are handheld. It does looks pretty beefy, though. Almost like a MH4.5, which is great.
That is dead because they are basically Nintendo exclusive.

That's why I said equivalent. The Portable series took the main game, but with different villages and story than in the original (and G), but added tons of new shit. This seems pretty similar, especially when you rewatch the trailer and notice that it actually has most areas from 4 again (not to mention that the core gameplay still looks like the usual MH). However, this time they've clearly put even more new things into it, since G is already out. I just don't think this really looks like a spinoff. The cat game was an actual spinoff, or the RPG.

18-Volt

Looks awesome. But ı'm probably gonna buy Monster Hunter XG for NX instead. Improved graphics on a gorgeous 1080p screen (well, I can dream, can't i).

Xater

That's why I said equivalent. The Portable series took the main game, but with different villages and story than in the original (and G), but added tons of new shit. This seems pretty similar, especially when you rewatch the trailer and notice that it actually has most areas from 4 again (not to mention that the core gameplay still looks like the usual MH). However, this time they've clearly put even more new things into it, since G is already out. I just don't think this really looks like a spinoff. The cat game was an actual spinoff, or the RPG.

To me it looks like they probably had tons of more mobility ideas for 4 but didn't want to commit to such big changes right away, so we get this spin-off. If it does well I can see stuff from it influencing MH5.

Top Bottom