• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Edition (JP) |OT| The World is not enough

tuffy

I'm glad they at least overhauled the UI in World for item shortcuts and stuff like that. This game on Switch feels like a downgrade in that department because no attempt was made to make up for the loss of the 2nd screen. It's not a huge deal but if you're used to the quick shortcuts on 3DS you'll be sad about it when playing the Switch version.
Combining shots is going to be more cumbersome without having a touch screen. But I played 3 Ultimate on the Wii U with off-TV play and managed it from the menu, so I'm confident I'll be able to it again.

lyrick

Argh...

So I created an Amazon.co.jp acct using the info linked in the demo thread and after going through with the transaction the new acct & transaction is under investigation and on hold until I fax Amazon CS bank statements, utility bill, citizen ID and/ or passport.

So fuck that route. What are my other options to procure a DL code?

OmegaFax

Argh...

So I created an Amazon.co.jp acct using the info linked in the demo thread and after going through with the transaction the new acct & transaction is under investigation and on hold until I fax CS bank statements, utility bill, citizen ID and/ or passport.

Geez. Amazon Japan. What next ... instead of verifying you're human with a CAPTCHA, they send someone to your house to do a Voight-Kampff test.

luulubuu

Argh...

So I created an Amazon.co.jp acct using the info linked in the demo thread and after going through with the transaction the new acct & transaction is under investigation and on hold until I fax Amazon CS bank statements, utility bill, citizen ID and/ or passport.

Ask a japanese friend to buy it for you

Juraash

Well I was debating this release as I think I mentioned in prior post. But Amazon Japan shipped it out and it should be here on Monday. I've kind of got the bug for MH right now so I'm actually fairly excited about having it when I get home from work early next week.

Then the fast track to G-Rank begins.

Pila

Hmmm... read the save transfer process for MHGen to MHXX. Doesn't seem too bad, but I saw there is a patch to make the 3DS MHXX have english UI. It's very tempting to maybe just stay on 3DS to play with english UI or go to Switch version for HD glory.

Cool, gonna gather some info. Thanks a lot!

Cool, gonna gather some info. Thanks a lot!

I take that back. The way MHGen saves are encrypted on the SD card. It's so stupid you can't transfer the save from 3DS to 3DS easily without hacking both 3DS. I only have one 3DS hacked and wanted to keep the other one homebrew free. I'm just going to use the MHX Data Manager and cheat my equips back into a MHX save then transfer that to MHXX. Much less headache.

Lizardus

I take that back. The way MHGen saves are encrypted on the SD card. It's so stupid you can't transfer the save from 3DS to 3DS easily without hacking both 3DS. I only have one 3DS hacked and wanted to keep the other one homebrew free. I'm just going to use the MHX Data Manager and cheat my equips back into a MHX save then transfer that to MHXX. Much less headache.

You only need Homebrew on the source 3DS (Generations). After the save has been exported, you can get rid of Homebrew.

You only need Homebrew on the source 3DS (Generations). After the save has been exported, you can get rid of Homebrew.

Yeah, but my source 3DS is currently on the latest firmware (11.5.0), so in order to put homebrew on that I need to wipe all the data on it. Can't do that have too much precious saves on it.

Lizardus

Yeah, but my source 3DS is currently on the latest firmware (11.5.0), so in order to put homebrew on that I need to wipe all the data on it. Can't do that have too much precious saves on it.

You don't need to wipe anything for just Homebrew (userland), it gets added to the system. On 11.5, few methods like ninjahax and freakyhax work.

EDIT: Forgot about RPGMaker method, totally free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ZWRHQ7S7Y

Boogiepop

So wait, if a friend has an unhacked 3DS, should it be easy and not require extra resources to get things hacked appropriately to run it fine, preferebly with that English patch too? Trying to get my group of friends onboard for this, and he doesn't have a Switch (and is actually the one in the group who doesn't know Japanese to at least some degree). Also, any risks, and if he wanted to get it digitally from the Japanese eShop instead, would that be a possiblity?

You don't need to wipe anything for just Homebrew (userland), it gets added to the system. On 11.5, few methods like ninjahax and freakyhax work.

EDIT: Forgot about RPGMaker method, totally free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5ZWRHQ7S7Y

Oh, I didn't see that method thanks got my save transferred to the hacked 3DS now.

So wait, if a friend has an unhacked 3DS, should it be easy and not require extra resources to get things hacked appropriately to run it fine, preferebly with that English patch too? Trying to get my group of friends onboard for this, and he doesn't have a Switch (and is actually the one in the group who doesn't know Japanese to at least some degree). Also, any risks, and if he wanted to get it digitally from the Japanese eShop instead, would that be a possiblity?

To play the english patched MHXX you need a fully hacked 3DS. To fully hack it on firmware 11.5.0 you'll need an already hacked 3DS to transfer it, so basically it's not going to work and you should give up for now.

Boogiepop

Oh, I didn't see that method thanks got my save transferred to the hacked 3DS now.

To play the english patched MHXX you need a fully hacked 3DS. To fully hack it on firmware 11.5.0 you'll need an already hacked 3DS to transfer it, so basically it's not going to work and you should give up for now.

I still have my original 3DS sitting around that should have plenty old firmware sitting around (got a new3DS when those came out, transferred everything to there, and haven't touched it since). Should I be able to hack that, then use that to hack my friends 11.5 firmware 3DS? And would his save data be safe? (Trying to figure out the process, which looks hella complex, and it mentions formatting and transferring stuff)

I still have my original 3DS sitting around that should have plenty old firmware sitting around (got a new3DS when those came out, transferred everything to there, and haven't touched it since). Should I be able to hack that, then use that to hack my friends 11.5 firmware 3DS? And would his save data be safe? (Trying to figure out the process, which looks hella complex, and it mentions formatting and transferring stuff)

To get full CFW on his 3DS you'll have to erase everything and all his save files. That's why I was apprehensive at first to do it and only did the Homebrew launcher hack which will not allow him to play the english patch MHXX.

Boogiepop

To get full CFW on his 3DS you'll have to erase everything and all his save files. That's why I was apprehensive at first to do it and only did the Homebrew launcher hack which will not allow him to play the english patch MHXX.
Oof. That sucks, but thanks for the heads up. Well, it's not ideal, but maybe I can still loan him my Japanese 3DS for a while, much as that sounds like a weird proposition for a game we'll be playing for a while, haha.

Damn, everyone in the MHW thread harping about its QoL improvements while we're here using translators and spreadsheets just to understand this game, we got quite the quality of life experience here shit.

Alric

Got a few questions I'm sure have been answered before.

If I buy a physical version of the game will I still be able to download any dlc content that comes out?

My main account is USA but I did make another account just to download the demo. So my question is do I need to make saves under the japanese account or do I need to physically change my main account to japanese when I want to d/l the dlc or do I not even need to do any of that and can use my USA account no problem with a physical version?

luulubuu

Damn, everyone in the MHW thread harping about its QoL improvements while we're here using translators and spreadsheets just to understand this game, we got quite the quality of life experience here shit.

Nobody pointed a gun at you to buy a game you dont understand, buddy. Keep the victimism low.

4 pages and already 2 dudes with the same message, is not the objective of the thread and it's derailing it, jokes or not

Haha chill, man. It's all good! Anyway I'm on the verge of downloading. This purchase is wholly unnecessary but I want to return to Generations to tide me over until World and the 3DS version just feels like poverty in comparison to XX Switch.

Being honest, is there a hope in hell of being able to enjoy/appreciate this game if you don't understand Japanese and have no context of Monster Hunter games?

I've always liked the look of the franchise but didn't have a WiiU and didn't want to commit to hours on the 3DS screen. Switch seems perfect for it but of course it's JPN only.

Lizardus

Got a few questions I'm sure have been answered before.

If I buy a physical version of the game will I still be able to download any dlc content that comes out?

My main account is USA but I did make another account just to download the demo. So my question is do I need to make saves under the japanese account or do I need to physically change my main account to japanese when I want to d/l the dlc or do I not even need to do any of that and can use my USA account no problem with a physical version?

I'm also waiting on my physical copy but since it's region free, you can play any Japanese games under your NA account exclusively if you wanted.

I'm not sure how they're handling the DLC in the Switch version but you MIGHT need a Japanese account just to download it? DLC is out so someone else can answer.

sirap

The ๖ۜBronx;247024260 said:
Being honest, is there a hope in hell of being able to enjoy/appreciate this game if you don't understand Japanese and have no context of Monster Hunter games?

I've always liked the look of the franchise but didn't have a WiiU and didn't want to commit to hours on the 3DS screen. Switch seems perfect for it but of course it's JPN only.

Hmm...MH can be a frustrating series if you're new and playing it in a foreign language seems like a bad idea. It's different when you're a veteran, 90% of your time will be spent grinding out HR and armor. For beginners, there are a ton of mechanics to understand and playing it in english will undoubtably make it easier.

You'll also miss out on a lot of charm if you don't understand NPC dialog. The localization team behind these games do a pretty good job.

Hmm...MH can be a frustrating series if you're new and playing it in a foreign language seems like a bad idea. It's different when you're a veteran, 90% of your time will be spent grinding out HR and armor. For beginners, there are a ton of mechanics to understand and playing it in english will undoubtably make it easier.

You'll also miss out on a lot of charm if you don't understand NPC dialog. The localization team behind these games do a pretty good job.
Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case, and will wait for the PS4 one to try it out then. From what I've heard despite initial concerns it seems to still very much be a 'Monster Hunter' game. I've also heard a few comparisons between mechanics in it and the Souls games, and even PSO in places. Both of which I love.

Really want to jump in but will wait to give it a fair chance. Don't want to end up frustrated and leave a bad impression.

Kinsei

Banned
The ๖ۜBronx;247026512 said:
Thanks for the reply. I thought that might be the case, and will wait for the PS4 one to try it out then. From what I've heard despite initial concerns it seems to still very much be a 'Monster Hunter' game. I've also heard a few comparisons between mechanics in it and the Souls games, and even PSO in places. Both of which I love.

Really want to jump in but will wait to give it a fair chance. Don't want to end up frustrated and leave a bad impression.

Yeah, you should definitely wait for World. I couldn't imagine trying to come to grips with all the systems in XX in a foreign language while not having any prior experience with the series. You would end up being totally frustrated.

Deband

The ๖ۜBronx;247026512 said:

Or you could find a cheap copy of 4 for the 3ds. Since world is quite a way off and it's the best mh.

kubus

I just carted 3x on Great Maccao lol

It's been way too long (last MH was MH3U on Wii U I think) and I wasn't prepared, time was running out, got sloppy, etc.

And yet I'm not salty or angry at the game, even though I basically just wasted 50 minutes. I think that speaks volumes about how awesome Monster Hunter is - I don't think there's any other game that can actually make failing this fun. Can't wait to try again tomorrow, using everything I learned about his attack patterns, hiding locations, etc. from my failed attempt today.

I really missed this series. Skipped all of the 3DS versions so there's a ton of new content for me to explore :D.

(And noticing how my Japanese has improved is pretty dope)

Meesh

Kinda jealous of all you chaps downloading right now... *sigh...
Silly question, do I gotta chanhe the region to play my import? Probably eh? Do I need to make a new user?

Haha chill, man. It's all good! Anyway I'm on the verge of downloading. This purchase is wholly unnecessary but I want to return to Generations to tide me over until World and the 3DS version just feels like poverty in comparison to XX Switch.

Gotta have a bridge game!

Thankfully im shifting to Destiny 2 to take my mind off of how much I want to play Monster Hunter

Didnt feel the effort was worth it for a game I already played most of and arent getting in english

Legit jealous of those of you who can play this comfortably! Enjoy and Ill see you all in 2018 for the next big hunting adventure!

Chindogg

Kinda jealous of all you chaps downloading right now... *sigh...
Silly question, do I gotta chanhe the region to play my import? Probably eh? Do I need to make a new user?

Nah you can play it on your US user. But you won't get any My Nintendo gold coins for it. You'd have to make a JP account to do that. It's what I did with I Am Setsuna physical.

Deband

Well I finally managed to buy the code from Amazon. Would be nice if Nintendo made it a bit easier, but I have the one game I'll probably buy for now at least. Now gunna muddle through, hopefully the language barrier doesn't curtail my set building too much.

Do we have a list of switch id's of the people who have the game?

In character creation, whats the thing its asking about after you pick your style? It seems to be a bunch of escape stuff or something? I dont remember that stuff from Generations, but its been a while.

Edit: Oh, the Hunter arts. Whoops.

Meesh

Nah you can play it on your US user. But you won't get any My Nintendo gold coins for it. You'd have to make a JP account to do that. It's what I did with I Am Setsuna physical.
K thanks ;)

Can anyone relate how it looks in both docked and undocked?

Deband

I need cat info. I've put 120 hours into generations but can't remember much. When do I unlock my cat friend? I've recently been playing mh4u and you start with one on that. Have I missed an option?

Edit. Nvm I've remembered it.

Does anyone know how to change the map from full to area and back? Twice I've changed it while fighting and can't work out how to change back. My Google skills have failed to find an answer.

Lizardus

I need cat info. I've put 120 hours into generations but can't remember much. When do I unlock my cat friend? I've recently been playing mh4u and you start with one on that. Have I missed an option?

Edit. Nvm I've remembered it.

Does anyone know how to change the map from full to area and back? Twice I've changed it while fighting and can't work out how to change back. My Google skills have failed to find an answer.

L3 (click the left stick)

Deband

I'm really not finding it so bad, but I've played about 30 hours of 4 recently, so a lot of the menus are more than familiar.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The game definitely doesn't look bad on the Switch, although text not being broken for larger text boxes and low res 2D icons are 2 things that I wish were improved. That said, I can finally play MH for longer periods of time without hurting my hands, which is great.

So far I've done 3 runs through HR 1-2 with 3 different groups of people, since I'm using my 3DS save, ha ha.

Top Bottom