• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

Phazon_Chaos

Neo Member
Would it though? He gets a Japanese copy, sets Switch to Japan mode, transfers save, flips it back to US (?) and his save should be there, don't see how it wouldn't work that way

I considered this, but I'm pretty sure save files on the Switch are tied to the account, so If I wanted to switch (HAHA!) back to my NA account, I don't think I could keep the save file, even if it would let me play the game in English.

Kyoufu

Would it though? He gets a Japanese copy, sets Switch to Japan mode, transfers save, flips it back to US (?) and his save should be there, don't see how it wouldn't work that way

If I read the post right, he wants to use his Japanese save on the English version of the game. I don't think any system ever made has allowed you to do that without an external, unofficial save file converter?

giphy.gif

How much content does XX have compared to Generations and prior games? The wikia doesn't have a comparison on their page, hell for a game two months old, they've done like NOTHING in it...

Ridley327

it has multiplayer with the 3DS version too right? i didn't know switch games could play with 3DS games

From the trailer, it looks like that they're doing this by having them share the same online servers. It doesn't look like it has proper local play between Switch and 3DS.

PKrockin

You can't transfer a Generations save file to XX, so I don't see why X to Double Generations would work.

Toxi

Banned
Only thing that convices me would a new retooled mh designed to be played on a home console(including switch) that at least takes some cues from dragons dogma where the combat precision doesnt feel like such a crapshoot
Ew no.

Monster Hunter combat is elegant and rewarding of skill, and hopefully it stays that way.

hatchx

Banned
At this point Stars and Smash hitting this year would be overkill. Switch is already going to be out of stock for the remainder of the year in Japan, possibly everywhere.

Nintendo should save Stars and Smash for Q1 and Summer of next year, respectively.

If we look at the current holiday lineup, Mario Odyssey and Fire Emblem Warriors are kind of the only exclusives that could sell over 2 million units. That's supposed to cover September-December. Both seem heavily single-player.

I also doubt they're launching their new paid online network without a game.

The Art Direction looks a lot nicer when it's uprezzed. Yeah, I'll take this. The monsters look lovely. Could care less about ground textures, when the stars of the show look great.

that's an odd statement to make?? I can name several games which have received ports with extra features add to it. (Mario kart 8)

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a port that came out several years after the original release. XX was released on the 3DS March of this year. I don't think it's fair to make that comparison.

Shengar

Those who say the game looks the same must haven't played the game. It is not graphical leap, but there is definitely an improvement over the 3DS.

that's an odd statement to make?? I can name several games which have received ports with extra features add to it. (Mario kart 8)
MK8 on Switch is called MK8 Deluxe.
MHXX Switch version is releasing on the same year as MH XX for 3DS. It is a quick and dirty port, but nothing really implied it would be otherwise.

spelen

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a port that came out several years after the original release. XX was released on the 3DS March of this year. I don't think it's fair to make that comparison.

fair or not there's sufficient precedent for such expectations imo is all i'm saying.

Only thing that convices me would a new retooled mh designed to be played on a home console(including switch) that at least takes some cues from dragons dogma where the combat precision doesnt feel like such a crapshoot

How is the combat in any way a crapshoot? It was designed for substance rather than Dragon's Dogma's style.

Monster Hunter's combat as a whole is so far above Dragon's Dogma, it's not funny.

fair or not there's sufficient precedent for such expectations imo is all i'm saying.

Yes, there is sufficient "precedent" for ports released several years after the original release to have additional features. This is not even nearly the situation XX Switch is in. You're free to have whatever expectations you want, but to think XX Switch would be anything other than a direct port with a higher resolution is unrealistic and a little deluded imo.

I remember playing on PSP and remembering man I cannot wait for a good HD Monster hunter and now it's coming true.

Well, this isn't really HD MH. It's more like 3 Ultimate only on the Switch. So think PS2 visuals with some AA and higher resolution.

Question. Has any Monster Hunter entry done well in the West?

I'm pretty sure 4U was pretty successful actually. Not a monster like Japan, but it did break a million across the seas.

Question. Has any Monster Hunter entry done well in the West?

Yes. Capcom was happy with 3U's western performance, 4U sold over a million units outside Japan, and Generations had a strong launch in NA, placing pretty high on the NPD charts during release month.

Top Bottom