• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Montreal-Age |OT| No Mayor, No Water, No Metro: No Problem!

228503_10151341817565828_1941412592_n.jpg

Hey GAF!

I did a few searches and realized that even if Montreal is one of the biggest video game hub in the world, there is no official Montreal GAF thread, LET'S FIX THIS MONTREAL-GAF!

This is even stranger as I regularly meet some Montreal people in the Gaming, NHL and Music threads, so let's unite! (and eventually organise a meet up?)

Let's also celebrate our beautiful city: with the perfect size, not too big so that it takes super long to go anywhere (LA I am looking at you) but still big enough to attract big events / with its perfect music/art scene / and with its perfect bicycle tracks all over the city!

Of course, what would be Montreal without the Canadiens? (and let's all shed a tear for the Expos!).

Please join me in celebrating all of this Montreal-GAF!

- The top photo is on the bridge from the Parc Jean Drapeau with a fixie crew

- The thread name is based on what happened a few weeks ago: the mayor of Montreal stepped down this year after some turmoil, the water was not drinkable, and the metro was not working, but still, you are all welcome in our cool city!

---

Salut GAF!

J'ai fait quelques recherches et il n'y a pas d'OT pour Montreal, qui est pourtant une vraie ville de jeu vidéo, il faut changer ca TOUT DE SUITE!

En plus je croise souvent des Montrealais dans gaming, NHL et autres, regroupons nous!

Célèbrons notre chouette ville: de taille parfaite, pas trop grosse de telle maniere a ce qu'on puisse aller partout en peu de temps, ni trop petite - et donc avec une vraie vie musicale, et culturelle en general.

Et enfin, que serait Montreal sans les Canadiens - et une petite pensée pour les Expos.

Tout cela mérite bien un thread!

- La photo en haut est du coté du parc Jean-Drapeau sur un pont en face du port

- La photo en bas est une blague datant du moment ou l'OT a été crée, un maire corrompu et pas encore remplacé, des pannes de métro a répétition, et pendant quelques jours une eau impropre a la consomation :)

QG5PCd7.jpg

Not from Montreal nor do I live there, but its my favorite city in Canada.

But you are such a big CH guy, how is that even possible?!? :D

tumblr_ll8vs3fHVg1qaym6w.gif

I've been living mainly in Europe all my life, but the past few years in Montreal have been magical, the city has everything you can ask for. I'll try to update the first 2 posts with some relevant information on the city and what to do/visit, where to go out and shop when I have some time :)

I'm applying for a job in Montreal (starting in 2014) and the monthly pay is €2005/2,794.28 CAD.

Since I've never known anything but minimum-wage jobs and internships in France and I don't know how the standard of living is in Canada, would this pay be a decent one? How hard is it to find some place to rent (especially from France)? How's transportation?

Oh god, someone revived my dying thread and I did not even notice!

Let's get to work!

I was searching for a Montreal thread and stumbled upon this OT. Why is it so empty :(

Partly because my first post is a bit boring :), and partly because there are not as much Montrealers on the GAF as one would have expected?

Hey guys, are any of you going to comic con?

I did, but I did not stay long to be honest... What did you think?

I'm applying for a job in Montreal (starting in 2014) and the monthly pay is €2005/2,794.28 CAD.

Since I've never known anything but minimum-wage jobs and internships in France and I don't know how the standard of living is in Canada, would this pay be a decent one? How hard is it to find some place to rent (especially from France)? How's transportation?

Hey mister, I am French and moved to Canada 3-4 years ago, I will be happy to help with anything, just PM me.

Usually the pay are every 2 weeks here, but with this monthly salary you will double your life quality if you come from Paris with a similar pay (twice the space for less money, and much more opportunity to go out/buy stuff with the money left :) ).

It's much easier to find a place here - they might ask for references, your former landlord and your current employer - but if everything is ok, you are basically getting the place.

Transportation is ok but not great, the metro network is much less dense than in Paris and technical issues stopping the traffic are happening often, but there are lots of buses (usually on time)

PFD

Was anyone there today? The PS4 booth is huge this year. I tried out Driveclub, and they have a bunch of other games (The Order, Far Cry 4, LBP 3, etc.)

I also talked to the Bioware staff at their booth and asked about the panels. There's going to be just two, one of them is tomorrow and it's all about the Dragon Age Keep, and the other panel on Sunday is about life as a Bioware employee. I'll try to go to both

I'm still there. I tried out The Order for a bit. Otherwise didn't really spend much time in the Playstation section. Still have to find a place to eat. Contemplating whether I should walk to Five Guys. Kinda sucks that the weather turned awful though.

Ok, I imagine I have some responsibility in the fact the thread is pretty much dead.

So, Montrealers, challenge me:

- What should I add to the OP to make it more interesting? (stuff to see/do in Montreal? A calendars of activities in the city? Something around Montreal and the video game industry? Something else?)
- Maybe a list of PSN ID/Gamertag/steam id of Montreal gaffers?
- How do we spread the word about this thread in neogaf to make sure all Montrealers join the discussion? (Basically Montrealers GAF unite! :D)
- Next steps: get together? Play together? Something else?

Tell me guys, I'll try my best when I have some time :)

Ricker

Honoring one of the greatest and the greatest Football quarterback in the CFL this afternnon in Montreal...Anthony Calvillo,oh yeah...follow that with a victory guys.

Samara

Gaz is cheap as hell today, if you need some go today. Went to Parc Maisonneuve this past saturday, was just gorgeous, then we went to Midway bar which was nice.

They closed that awful chicken'n'waffle place too, praise be.

Hieberrr

Came by to say that I stayed in the city for 4 days during the summer and it was absolutely amazing. I love Montreal!

PFD

Guys, what's the best car wash in Montreal? My parents have a large 4X4 (Nissan Pathfinder) that they want cleaned thoroughly inside and out. Any suggestions?

DSFan1970

Montréal is one of my favorite cities. Why is this thread so dead? So many wonderful places! Does everyone like he new Mayor?

Montréal is one of my favorite cities. Why is this thread so dead? So many wonderful places! Does everyone like he new Mayor?

I am the worst OP ever I guess :D

I am not too sure what to think about the new mayor, let's just say he feels less atrocious than his predecessor :)

Awesome photos from the Japan festival on Saturday, check it out:

http://www.projectvalence.com/2015/08/16/matsuri-japon-2015/

Those pics were super cool indeed, but you clearly chose the best one :D

dankir

Man this thread is 2 years old and we're not even at 50 posts. And there's a thread like every week on what do in MTL on Gaf.

Minus_Me

I'm going to Montreal in exactly six weeks from today. Any good food spots to recommend?

Sumac, Satay Brothers, Sparrow, Magpie, Maison Publique, Nouveau Palais, and Ice House.

If you have expensive taste: Toqué, Le Club Chasse et Pêche, Milos Restaurant, Nora Gray, Park Sushi*, Pharos.

Brunch: Fabergé, Reservoir Brewpub

Might as well throw in Kem CoBa if you want ice cream. Darling of the moment in the Plateau.

* I consider this on Par with what you can find in Tokyo, at a considerable premium though.

I like Chinese and Italian, but I'm open to anything else like jerk chicken.

I plan on using the public transit. (STM)

Sumac, Satay Brothers, Sparrow, Magpie, Maison Publique, Nouveau Palais, and Ice House.

If you have expensive taste: Toqué, Le Club Chasse et Pêche, Milos Restaurant, Nora Gray, Park Sushi*, Pharos.

Brunch: Fabergé, Reservoir Brewpub

Might as well throw in Kem CoBa if you want ice cream. Darling of the moment in the Plateau.

* I consider this on Par with what you can find in Tokyo, at a considerable premium though.

Please! Kem CoBa is 100% mile end, the plateau stops at St Joseph :D

Also, if you are under a budget, a brunch at 'L'gros Luxe' is super cheap, and very good.

And on Asian, I also recommend the excellent (and not too expensive) Café Saigon around St Catherine :)

And finally if you want the 'full Quebec experience' Le Pied de Cochon is really good if you are into heavy authentic food).

Enjoy!

Minus_Me

Was trying to make a snide comment that the plateau doesn't have the best of something, but I missed the mark clearly haha.

Top Bottom