• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moon landing conspiracy and Flat Earth conspiracy theories go here and nowhere else

Status
Not open for further replies.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
We'd prefer every thread about space didn't get derailed with conspiracy theories. If you post conspiracy theories about the moon landing/Apollo missions being faked, or Flat Earth conspiracies, outside of this thread, you will be banned in order to keep discussions on-track. Discussing those conspiracy theories will be permitted in this thread.

Thanks.

Grinchy

Banned
Sometimes I like reading the thoughts of the....special people...who are capable of believing the Earth is flat, but it really was getting annoying to see so many threads derailed for pages and pages every time. It's too juicy not to jump on, so everyone jumps on it.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
giphy.gif

I don't buy the flat earth stuff but I have my own skepticism of the moon landings mainly due to the steep acceleration in technology that has occurred since we supposedly went there. I'd think we would be trying to learn how to inhabit another rock by now but we just decided nah, fuck the moon, we'll just go to Mars instead?

I think there is more going on than we're privy to including the possibility that:
  • the moon landings were fake
  • they were real but we found something that hasn't been shared publically
  • they were real and we have continued to explore the moon secretly ever since
Of course I also accept that they may have occurred just as we've been told but I think that is the least likely reality.

Prison Mike

Banned
We'd prefer every thread about space didn't get derailed with conspiracy theories. If you post conspiracy theories about the moon landing/Apollo missions being faked, or Flat Earth conspiracies, outside of this thread, you will be banned in order to keep discussions on-track. Discussing those conspiracy theories will be permitted in this thread.

Thanks.
Finally the powers that be have the solution goid work sir

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
I must have missed these discussions on gaf. What would be the most common (and equally absurd) argument for a flat Earth here?

DESTROYA

Great idea EviLore.
Im a closet science nerd and did point this out, I like hearing different takes but back them up with actual proof instead of just saying that’s “science math” as a excuse.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I don't buy the flat earth stuff but I have my own skepticism of the moon landings mainly due to the steep acceleration in technology that has occurred since we supposedly went there. I'd think we would be trying to learn how to inhabit another rock by now but we just decided nah, fuck the moon, we'll just go to Mars instead?

I think there is more going on than we're privy to including the possibility that:
Of course I also accept that they may have occurred just as we've been told but I think that is the least likely reality.

The primary motivation was beating the Soviet Union to the Moon, and, after Kennedy's assassination, honoring his memory and fulfilling that dream. Hundreds of thousands of people worked on the space race in the United States. Once we achieved the goal and beat the Soviets, the public quickly lost interest. Television ratings for the subsequent Apollo moon landings plummeted. The Moon is a rock and of limited practical utility on its own (helium-3 mining, perhaps, and as a staging area for Mars etc.). There wasn't a public mandate to go beyond the Moon, and the space program was a massive financial sink, so progress stabilized into an incremental pace.

Lupin3

Why would they waste the insane amount of time, money and resources just to go back to the moon if Mars is at least somewhat within reach? Do they really need the moon for that?

Television ratings for the subsequent Apollo moon landings plummeted.

What an American reason for science to fail. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

You have to come at me all rationally like in a thread for conspiracy theories!!

The explorer in me just feels like shifting from the Moon to Mars without ever really understanding the Moon or how to survive on a foreign rock is missing the forest for the trees.

And beating the Russians is exactly the kind of thing we would've setup a photo op for! :messenger_beaming:

No disrespect to the guys who did it though! I don't want to get knocked the fuck out!

ManaByte

Gold Member
I know nothing of what these flat earth folk believe as I just assumed they were too mental to listen to

I mean you could go to the zoo and a monkey throws shit at you but you dont analyse his motivation you just laugh and move on

I think the monkey is smarter than most of them, actually.

Why would they waste the insane amount of time, money and resources just to go back to the moon if Mars is at least somewhat within reach? Do they really need the moon for that?

Practice baby! It is the only rock that we can currently travel to and potentially attempt to live on. How the fuck are we going to live on mars if we can't even spend the weekend on the moon?

I am only partially serious here by the way. I think the moon landing conspiracy is a fun one to play around with because it is fairly innocuous.

Right seeing as I know nothing about this, educate me on the following please, flat earth believers

1) do you believe if you dig deep enough your just fall out into space?

2) what do you think happens when you travel as far as the edge?

3) when people go "round" the world do you think they get to the end then come back the way underneath the earth and come back up the other side?

Lupin3

Practice baby! It is the only rock that we can currently travel to and potentially attempt to live on. How the fuck are we going to live on mars if we can't even spend the weekend on the moon?

I am only partially serious here by the way. I think the moon landing conspiracy is a fun one to play around with because it is fairly innocuous.

So how do you practice for going to the moon, and why does that not apply to Mars?

I'm almost completely somewhat totally dead serious!

Nymphae

Banned
The primary motivation was beating the Soviet Union to the Moon

I am honestly puzzled by the fact that no one else has ever bothered to visit the moon since then. No other nation would take pride in that achievement? Race implies more than one party attempting to get to the same goal. Why did everyone else stop trying?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Right seeing as I know nothing about this, educate me on the following please, flat earth believers

1) do you believe if you dig deep enough your just fall out into space?

2) what do you think happens when you travel as far as the edge?

3) when people go "round" the world do you think they get to the end then come back the way underneath the earth and come back up the other side?

Do you have Netflix? Watch Behind the Curve. It’s a documentary about these idiots.

So how do you practice for going to the moon, and why does that not apply to Mars?

I'm almost completely somewhat totally dead serious!

My point is that we CAN send people to the moon right now but we CAN'T send people to Mars right now. Going to the Moon could be practice for visiting a foreign rock while we work on the technology to ACTUALLY go to Mars.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
My point is that we CAN send people to the moon right now but we CAN'T send people to Mars right now. Going to the Moon could be practice for visiting a foreign rock while we work on the technology to ACTUALLY go to Mars.

I'm sure we could go to mars right now. I think the return flight is the problem.

I'm of the belief that you need to break a few Kerbals to make an omelet. I'm just not sure if the public would be as willing though to see a few astronauts go splat, turn into astrocicles or die alone, drifting off into the void.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Brilliant

Guy doesnt believe he walked on the moon ut wants him to swear on a fairytale book about floating sky wizards

The guy Buzz punched was on Coast to Coast AM about a decade ago and they had actual NASA employees who worked on Apollo calling in to tell him how stupid he was as they actually processed material from the moon. He refused to believe them. I wanted to punch him through my radio.

Last edited:
Also plausible is that we did go, but the footage was faked because a) wasn't possible to broadcast it, but the govt wanted a spectacle anyway. Or b) They didn't want to show astronauts dying on tv if something went wrong

While I believe the earth is round, I'm highly skeptical of the moon landings for millions of reasons.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I am honestly puzzled by the fact that no one else has ever bothered to visit the moon since then. No other nation would take pride in that achievement? Race implies more than one party attempting to get to the same goal. Why did everyone else stop trying?

Only the USA and the Russians have the tech to put people into orbit. It's expensive and difficult.

After World War 2, those two became the dominant superpowers of the Earth. Much of the world was either developmentally very far behind or in shambles due to the war.

I'm sure we could go to mars right now. I think the return flight is the problem.

Another reason to practice on the Moon. Start small and work your way up to Mars.

EDIT: Of course I rush to answer without thinking of the implications. Returning from Mars is obviously a very different beast than returning from the Moon.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Also plausible is that we did go, but the footage was faked because a) wasn't possible to broadcast it, but the govt wanted a spectacle anyway. Or b) They didn't want to show astronauts dying on tv if something went wrong

While I believe the earth is round, I'm highly skeptical of the moon landings for millions of reasons.

You realize that with a good telescope you can still see the landers, the rover tracks, and if it’s a BIG telescope HUMAN FOOTPRINTS ...right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom