• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moon: Remix RPG Adventure - Fan Translation Project Almost Done (Testing Phase)

Despera

Banned
First an introduction:

it361POR2bzC.jpg

Moon: Remix RPG Adventure (ムーンリミックスRPGアドベンチャー Moon Rimikkusu RPG Adobencha?), usually referred to simply as Moon, is a 1997 role-playing video game developed by Love-de-Lic and published by ASCII Entertainment. The game was first released on October 16, 1997, and was re-released as part of the PlayStation the Best line on November 5, 1998. The game was directed by Kenichi Nishi.

Although the game was apparently featured prominently at E3 in 1997 with plans to release the game the following year, ASCII decided not to release Moon outside Japan. The game was advertised shortly afterward for a US release in GamePro magazine, but was never published by another company. Despite its critical praise as a role-playing game that defies convention in its own genre, Moon remains an extremely obscure Japan-exclusive title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon:_Remix_RPG_Adventure

The latest fan translation project was announced back in 2011. Since then we barely got any updates from the team, despite the fact they've been hard at work translating what's supposed to be one of the best PSX titles that sadly never saw release outside of Japan.

Our fellow GAFfer, cj_iwakura, was fortunate enough to test the alpha ver. of the translation patch recently and confirms that it's pretty much done. He also provided these screenshots for us to oogle at:

The official release of the patch shouldn't be that far off now, so the next update will probably be when the project is done.

I also recommend checking out GhaleonQ's extensive write-up about Moon and the Love-de-Lic team.

VERY interested thanks to GhaleonQ.

But what is the deal with the overlapping characters in the font? Makes it hard to read.

Reveirg

Woah, I somehow never heard of this game before. Very interested, I love when old japan-only games don't get forgotten and get picked up for fan translations. Great job!

Seriously so glad that this is still going on. Ever since I've read GhaleonQ's post, I've been pretty intrigued in the game. Looks like it does a lot of really cool things in relation to genre.

Phamit

Is the game about a guy
who get sucked into his videogame and realize that the hero of the game is actually th bad guy?

Cosmonaut

VERY interested thanks to GhaleonQ.

But what is the deal with the overlapping characters in the font? Makes it hard to read.
I only got introduced to Moon fairly recently so I searched GAF for any threads on the game. That's how I stumbled upon GhaleonQ's thread and became fascinated by the game's concept.

I'm pretty excited to finally get to play this game especially since it parodies one of my favourite genres :p

As for those overlapping characters I think that's a common occurrence in translation projects which usually gets worked out, but in some cases they just can't eliminate it entirely.

Koozek

Haha, what a coincidence! I was wondering about this project a few days ago and tried finding some new info - without success. I even asked in the thread about the most-wanted fan-translations the other day^^

Very happy to hear about its progress! Can't wait to play it, finally.

Despera

Banned
Haha, what a coincidence! I was wondering about this project a few days ago and tried finding some new info - without success. I even asked in the thread about the most-wanted fan-translations the other day^^

Very happy to hear about its progress! Can't wait to play it, finally.
A number of people did the same as well, myself included. Basically one of the main reasons behind creating this thread.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's actually interesting that this game wasn't localized considering its release date and how everyone and their mother got out all the JRPGS they could on the PSX so long as they weren't super duper Japanese.

Nice didn't know there was a fan translation going on. There isn't as much buzz for the other 2 Love de Lic games: how were UFO: A Day in the Life and L.O.L.: Lack of Love?

Feep

Banned
I remember that dude with the Kings Quest VI Alexander Avatar made a thread about how this was like the best game ever made, or something.

WE SHALL SEE. GAF hype has been failing me lately (TitS, FF Type-0)

Edit: Yes, GhaleonQ, that was him, I should read the damn OP

Re-edit: Man and I gave a snarky first reply in that thread, like, five years ago, damn

cj_iwakura

You linked him to that dead thread in the other thread, too. I'm just not seeing much to inspire hope that it's coming soon, is all.

EsperKnight's the hacker, and he's actively working on it. The team haven't updated, but I work with him daily and he's been keeping me posted.

Cosmonaut

Apparently the game is sold at the reasonable price range of $80-90 on ebay and such. Much cheaper than I expected considering.

krYlon

Yes, like many others I've been wanting to play this since GhaleonQ's megapost. At one point I thought the translation fell through because of the lack of updates. Glad to see that's not the case!

Would be quite something to play this and TitS SC in the same year. Here's hoping!
Probably next year.

That's fantastic news. I was pleased to see how many GAFers mentioned in the other recent thread about games they wanted to see fan-translated.

Best of luck to the team during the final stretch.

GhaleonQ

I love you all.

I ended my video game hiatus (1 1/2 years!) late last month, so I'm catching up with so much news, music, and old projects.

As I understand it, the translators do 90 percent of the work and then go into the weeds for the last 10 percent. So, while there was a period of inactivity, I didn't fear for the completion of the project.

Special thanks to cj_iwakura for being 1 of my favorite NeoGAF posters and for invaluable work outside of the forum.

I remember that dude with the Kings Quest VI Alexander Avatar made a thread about how this was like the best game ever made, or something.

WE SHALL SEE. GAF hype has been failing me lately (TitS, FF Type-0)

Edit: Yes, GhaleonQ, that was him, I should read the damn OP

Re-edit: Man and I gave a snarky first reply in that thread, like, five years ago, damn

Ha! All is forgiven. Of activity I've seen since, only 2 of 25 or so have been disappointed, but it's inevitable.

The 1 thing I HOPE EVERYONE SEES (and that is often misinterpreted) is that this is an adventure game parody of a role-playing game. It has an rpg "skin," but is not an rpg.

Nice didn't know there was a fan translation going on. There isn't as much buzz for the other 2 Love de Lic games: how were UFO: A Day in the Life and L.O.L.: Lack of Love?

There's actually far more for L.O.L., mostly because Dreamcast was region-free and groups like Consolevania studied it.

It's like what Spore was supposed to be. Your ever-evolving organism moves from basic to beautifully complex, and your own body is the "item" that you point-and-click on, so to speak. It all tells a wonderful story of ecology.

So, really, it's like Spore plus Botanicula.

U.F.O. is definitely the most obscure, because its gameplay systems are so arcane. You find hidden aliens in 9 rooms, 1 hour at a time, for 24 hours in fake real-time. You uncover the aliens by doing adventure game-style puzzle-solving in environments. I'm sad it's so hard to play well and that it requires patience, because the story is 1 of the best in video games. People lead quietly desperate lives, but when the little things cease to matter, they discover their truest selves, good or bad.

So, really, it's like The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask plus Pokemon Snap.

Cosmonaut

I love you all.

I ended my video game hiatus (1 1/2 years!) late last month, so I'm catching up with so much news, music, and old projects.

As I understand it, the translators do 90 percent of the work and then go into the weeds for the last 10 percent. So, while there was a period of inactivity, I didn't fear for the completion of the project.

Special thanks to cj_iwakura for being 1 of my favorite NeoGAF posters and for invaluable work outside of the forum.

Ha! All is forgiven. Of activity I've seen since, only 2 of 25 or so have been disappointed, but it's inevitable.

The 1 thing I HOPE EVERYONE SEES (and that is often misinterpreted) is that this is an adventure game parody of a role-playing game. It has an rpg "skin," but is not an rpg.

There's actually far more for L.O.L., mostly because Dreamcast was region-free and groups like Consolevania studied it.

It's like what Spore was supposed to be. Your ever-evolving organism moves from basic to beautifully complex, and your own body is the "item" that you point-and-click on, so to speak. It all tells a wonderful story of ecology.

So, really, it's like Spore plus Botanicula.

U.F.O. is definitely the most obscure, because its gameplay systems are so arcane. You find hidden aliens in 9 rooms, 1 hour at a time, for 24 hours in fake real-time. You uncover the aliens by doing adventure game-style puzzle-solving in environments. I'm sad it's so hard to play well and that it requires patience, because the story is 1 of the best in video games. People lead quietly desperate lives, but when the little things cease to matter, they discover their truest selves, good or bad.

So, really, it's like The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask plus Pokemon Snap.
If it isn't the man of the hour himself <3

It saddens me that Love-de-Lic disbanded. They seem to have succeeded in transforming their weird and original ideas into interesting and fun-to-play games on multiple occasions, which isn't an easy feat. I would love to play all 3 of their games, Moon being the first one I tackle.

cj_iwakura

Not yet. It's in the 'next update it will be done' phase.

Incidentally, we're neck deep in Shadowrun at the moment.

GhaleonQ

Not yet. It's in the 'next update it will be done' phase.

Incidentally, we're neck deep in Shadowrun at the moment.

Not that anyone is in the dark about Shadowrun specifically, but people ought to check out the other amazing projects over there. It's filled with obscurities and cult classics that deserve a greater audience.

What else are you going to do, read more angry internet posts about Destiny?

Bogeypop

Great news! Been wanting to play this for years now!
(could have probably learned MORE Japanese in that time though...)

This is great! Another thread jogged my mind to mention the developer, and then..well...you know, then came the info diving. And here I am.

Very lucky and happy someone decided to take up the initiative; from what I've read the game deserves more players. Sadly besides the language barrier it's also insanely expensive*

*Actually, not nearly as much as I thought. But still, $90-$100 for a text-heavy game I can't understand 90% of the text in is not my idea of money well spent. Maybe some day, purely for collector's value.

cj_iwakura

anything new cj_iwakura ?

Not yet, but Esper's working on the VWF. He has a ton of projects, but he always delivers. Heck, I'm lucky to only be involved in 3. I think he has at least ten.

He says it is playable, so there's that. I guess we could theoretically release a beta if he wanted.

Top Bottom