• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morbius trailer

VulcanRaven

Trailer was just released:

I don't like the idea of making movies about villians without Spider-Man but this looks ok.

Looks very meh.

Spider-man grafitti.

Oh look it's Michael Keaton. Is that the villain from Home Coming? I don't get it because that was the MCU.

Cgi looks like dirt.

How does cgi still look like 90s effects in 2020?

kunonabi

Man, what a boring, pedestrian approach to take with the material. Should have been a crazy mix of The Crow and Hammer Horror sensibilities.

x4IjiAz.jpg

v1xF5he.jpg

KO00zzf.jpg

DxMy19b.jpg

uYrTmaz.jpg

lnAoOxA.jpg

fhtEBQV.jpg

owUsb4U.jpg

VulcanRaven

Looks very meh.

Spider-man grafitti.

Oh look it's Michael Keaton. Is that the villain from Home Coming? I don't get it because that was the MCU.

Cgi looks like dirt.

How does cgi still look like 90s effects in 2020?
That Spider-Man pic in the trailer is from the PS4 game:
Du1qOSmXgAAPVQD.0.jpg

It looks like this is part of the MCU but I don't think these characters will appear in Marvel Studios movies.

Last edited:
Man, what a boring, pedestrian approach to take with the material. Should have been a crazy mix of The Crow and Hammer Horror sensibilities.

x4IjiAz.jpg

v1xF5he.jpg

KO00zzf.jpg

DxMy19b.jpg

uYrTmaz.jpg

lnAoOxA.jpg

fhtEBQV.jpg

owUsb4U.jpg
Damn those look good.

Completely agree with you. Movie looks so boring but the comics look amazing.

I remember having a Doctor Strange comic where he shows up.

Potential thrown out with the film if you ask me.

Venom is a very popular character and Morbius is not. The only way they can make this a big success is to have many MCU references so people will watch it.

I know what Venom is.

People love Vampires. I think you're wrong

We'll see, I stand by my prediction. Looking forward to the results

Also, there's a pre-existing discussion unless this is supposed to be film's OT (sorry its a weird pet peeve of mine. Having multiple threads dedicated to single clips or news drops of a single movie just fragments the discussion imo)

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Producers need to understand that it's been 20 years since X-men came out. We need something other than, "look I have cool powers!" in the trailer to get us interested. There is nothing in this trailer that makes me curious about Morbius. They gotta bring more than that to get me in the theater.

TrainedRage

Banned
Man not getting ‘Joker’ really lit a fire under Letos ass.

I didn’t even know who Morpheus was. Is this part of the MCU or is this literally an attempt at Joker 2.0?

I didn’t even know who Morpheus was. Is this part of the MCU or is this literally an attempt at Joker 2.0?
Morbius is an old vampiric Marvel character. I don't know a lot about him.

I think he and Blade and a few other supernatural types basically formed a supernatural Avengers-type team called Midnight Sons.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not gonna lie, that looks pretty neat. Noticed a huge vampire push again in pop culture recently. Need to wipe the taste from the Twilight gutter trash, and make vampires great again.

Are they going to spawn a version of the Sinister 6 after this?

Last edited:

He's basically Venom but a vampire and a Spiderman villain. Considering they're also making a Blade movie, my guess is Spiderman at some point will have to deal with Venom, Vulture, Morbius and others in a spectacular movie if my dreams come true and then they're probably going to make an anti-hero team up with these characters or something.

VulcanRaven

I know what Venom is.

Also, there's a pre-existing discussion unless this is supposed to be film's OT (sorry its a weird pet peeve of mine. Having multiple threads dedicated to single clips or news drops of a single movie just fragments the discussion imo)

I think its a good idea to make new threads for big news and movie trailers. People might not notice them if they are posted in an old thread.

Last edited:

trikster40

Wow. Looked a lot better than I thought it would, and Vultures making a cameo? Sony setting up for life after the MCU.

sol_bad

Venom was a shit film and this looks so mundane. Not excited at all. And what's worse is they are trying to connect it to the MCU.
:(

DESTROYA

He does fight SpiderMan many times in the comics but I wouldn’t exactly call him a villain , more like a misunderstood antihero.
Trailer looks pretty good.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Wow. Looked a lot better than I thought it would, and Vultures making a cameo? Sony setting up for life after the MCU.

It's pretty much set IN the MCU. Just not gonna be a lot of crossover.. maybe with Blade, though. Spiderman is a given at this point.

Last edited:

DESTROYA

It's pretty much set IN the MCU. Just not gonna be a lot of crossover.. maybe with Blade, though. Spiderman is a given at this point.
I thought all the Sony/MCU separation was settled? So Tom Holland’s SM still going to be in the MCU or not?
From what I remember Sony controlled they rights and they sort of “leased” out the character to be in the MCU.
Would love to see a Blade or SpiderMan cameo but that goes back to who owns the right to the character.It’s all very confusing

Mato

I'm not familiar with the comic but I feel like this could have perhaps worked as a noir thriller. Judging from the trailer it just looks like a basic, second-rate, superhero film.

the meeting for this movie:

"you seen batman, the way the bats fly around him? yeah do that. and the blue night crawler from x-men and the flying smoke, get that in there. batman but nightcrawler. get me holland on the phone. where's my diet pepsi? also, i find milk in my soy latte one more time i'm gonna rip your tits off."

cryptoadam

Banned
Echo the statement that this looks like a 90's early 2000's pre MCU superhero movie.

Not getting the hook from this but the trailer was kinda lame.

Last edited:

quickwhips

I know what Venom is.

Where were the vampire parts in this trailer though. I just saw a pretty face fake being crippled.

Dacon

Banned
Morbius the Living Vampire, a.k.a. Dr. Michael Morbius, Ph.D.,[1] M.D.,[2] is a fictional antihero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. Created by writer Roy Thomas and originally designed by penciler Gil Kane, the character first appeared as an antagonist in The Amazing Spider-Man #101

Whether he changed over the years I would not know. They'll all fight against Spiderman. It's really obvious.

You said he's basically Venom, he is not.

That's not what you said.

You literally said right there, that he is basically Venom. He is not, the two characters are very different.

I'm not disputing that he is a sometimes Spider-Man villain who evolved into an anti hero in his later adventures.

You do realize I did not say he is literally Venom as in they have the same superpowers or are exactly the same in character right? He's basically Venom because he gets his own origin movie just like Venom, he is a spiderman villain just like Venom, he is also an anti-hero at times just like venom and whatever else. My bad for not being more descriptive of what I meant by basically.

Last edited:

sol_bad

Vulture isn’t MCU. He’s a character Sony owns so they can use him however they see fit.

He is MCU just like Holland Spider-Man is MCU.
Vulture is owned by Sony but they licensed the character out to Marvel to use. Sony would have had to get permission from Marvel to use the exact same actor for Vulture. They need permission to use Holland Spidey too. There is no way they could just freely hire Michael Keaton or Holland without Marvels approval. This cross over thing is from a brand new deal. I wouldn't be surprised if Keaton's scene is small and was done during the re-shoot period after the deal was signed.

bitbydeath

He is MCU just like Holland Spider-Man is MCU.
Vulture is owned by Sony but they licensed the character out to Marvel to use. Sony would have had to get permission from Marvel to use the exact same actor for Vulture. They need permission to use Holland Spidey too. There is no way they could just freely hire Michael Keaton or Holland without Marvels approval. This cross over thing is from a brand new deal. I wouldn't be surprised if Keaton's scene is small and was done during the re-shoot period after the deal was signed.

You got any links for that?
When Spider-Man was going to leave the MCU Sony were still planning Spider-Man movies with Tom in them.

bitbydeath

How's that work when he's in a movie that had Iron Man and where the Avengers exist?

AFAIK the Spider-Man films are joint movies and not just MCU films so Sony can still use the characters they own and the actors whom play them however they want.

Last edited:

gatti-man

I thought the trailer was great. As good as could be imagined with the actors attached. People wanting crazy stuff need to remember it’s pg13 and a marvel movie. They aren’t going to go nuts.

sol_bad

You got any links for that?
When Spider-Man was going to leave the MCU Sony were still planning Spider-Man movies with Tom in them.

I know that Holland said he'd be making more movies without Marvel but I'm going to throw my own speculation out there. I wouldn't be surprised if that whole MCU no longer making Spidey movies was all a massive publicity stunt.

Why do I think this? Because Holland told Hollywood Reporter back in 2016 that he was signed on for 6 films. Call me crazy if you want but it would be very weird to have him sign on for 6 films and for that 6th film not to be MCU based.

*EDIT*
And I stick by my statement that Sony can't use MCU characters without Marvel's approval. And why do I think that? Because if Sony could use any of the Spidey based MCU characters as they please, they could have put characters from the MCU in Venom but they did not. The new deal that was made allows them to use MCU characters which is why Toomes is in Morbius.
And again, I wouldn't be surprised if Toomes is a last minute addition during re-shoots after the deal was struck.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Why are people shocked Vulture is in it?
I thought it was made clear Sony's Spidy Universe will be part of the MCU.
I wouldn't expect Morbius to show up anytime soon in Disneys films
But I bet MCU characters will make gust appearances to connect the worlds.
As well as Tom being Spider Man in these spin offs.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I know that Holland said he'd be making more movies without Marvel but I'm going to throw my own speculation out there. I wouldn't be surprised if that whole MCU no longer making Spidey movies was all a massive publicity stunt.

Why do I think this? Because Holland told Hollywood Reporter back in 2016 that he was signed on for 6 films. Call me crazy if you want but it would be very weird to have him sign on for 6 films and for that 6th film not to be MCU based.

*EDIT*
And I stick by my statement that Sony can't use MCU characters without Marvel's approval. And why do I think that? Because if Sony could use any of the Spidey based MCU characters as they please, they could have put characters from the MCU in Venom but they did not. The new deal that was made allows them to use MCU characters which is why Toomes is in Morbius.
And again, I wouldn't be surprised if Toomes is a last minute addition during re-shoots after the deal was struck.

They might not have found a place for another character in it. Sony have already spoken of their own Spider-Verse so I doubt putting characters in their Spider-Man movies would limit that world they want to create.

Top Bottom