• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More bad news for Nintendo: Wiikey team claims WiiU cracked.

WiikeÜ - Its True!

[2013.05.01]

Yes, its real - we have now completely reversed the WiiU drive authentification, disk encryption, file system, and everything else needed for this next generation K3y. Stay tuned for updates!
Source: http://wiikey.com/news/

more stuff:

Okay, this got a new thread, before things get outlandish, let me put this into perspective (OP feel free to steal this)

This device will...

Allow 1:1 backups only (no hacked/cheated games)

This device will not...

Enable homebrew
Help hackers break the Wii U's game or system encryptions
Allow cheaters to hack online games

This device PROBABLY will not...

Allow for region free (unless Nintendo forgot to give seperate regions different encryption keys, again)

Nintendo Responds:
"Nintendo is aware that a hacking group claims to have compromised Wii U security," a spokesperson told Eurogamer. "However, we have no reports of illegal Wii U games nor unauthorized applications playable on the system while in Wii U mode.

"Nintendo continuously monitors all threats to its products' security and will use technology and will take the necessary legal steps to prevent the facilitation of piracy."
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ims-to-have-hacked-wii-u-to-play-copied-games

gngf123

Good job there is nothing to pirate then.

This'll be good for region lock breaking. EDIT: Or not.

Mario Kart Wii U gonna be abysmal

To my knowledge, this only allows for running duplicated games. It doesn't bypass any software checks, only the disc drive. Online play should be mostly unaffected.

Fularu

Banned
Sounds like a hardware mod (and not a software one)

Should prevent its widespread use (the more I read about it, the more it sounds like first PS3 dongles)

SmokyDave

At least it won't affect third party support too much.

I really like the idea of ripping my discs to a drive, it felt weird going back to optical media.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
how is this possible while 3DS still has to see something similar?!?
Let's see if updates in the future won't allow this anymore, though. ..it's so strange.

Omikaru

Well, at least I don't have to worry about the region lock now.
3DS next, please.

Edit: Guess not. Just a drive emulator. No interest in that. *sadface*

Deku Tree

Wonder if Nintendo will eventually be able to detect this and ban WiiU consoles which install this and make the mistake of going online with it?

Not sure the real uses for this.

Will it allow region free?

If not then I guess the legitimate use is to rip the (albeit less expensive) physical discs to a USB drive.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nice, now I'll just wait for a price drop... and probably Steam's Summer Sale.

Edit: Oh, this won't make the console effectively region-free? Boo-urns.

I hope this doesn't lead to pirating...

2344422_f260.jpg

Anteo

Übermatik;56242648 said:
Er, won't this just get patched? And what does this hack do exactly? Just makes it region free?

Not even that, just the hability to dump and play WiiU games.

Top Bottom