• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More evidence Guerrilla Games developing open world RPG?

KZObsessed

I was gonna make a thread about this months a go but completely forgot.

Guerrilla Games have hired the former Lead Creative Designer / Lead Writer of Obsidian Entertainment John Gonzales (actually back in September)

His profile states he was "the lead story guy on Fallout: New Vegas"

Narrative designer with extensive in-house game development experience. My focus is storytelling for open-world role-playing games. Because they are awesome.

Specialties
Narrative design, dialogue systems, creative writing, world design, documentation, voice direction.

Lead Writer at Guerrilla Games
Lead Designer, Narrative at WB Games
Lead Creative Designer / Lead Writer at Obsidian Entertainment
Lead Narrative Designer at Ubisoft Entertainment (Shanghai)
Writer at Outrage Entertainment

More evidence mounts for a GG open world RPG. Personally I hope it's sci-fi or cyberpunk. I'm sick of generic fantasy.

Hmn.... Damn, i'd love to see what they are working on..
No fantasy i hope, but judging on the taste of some of the artdirectors there i don't think it will be a fantasy setting.
It will involve tech, distopian worldviews i think. And lighting. Lots of cool lighting.

hemtae

Well an Obsidian hire was a good first step towards getting me interested in whatever game they're working on.

Good find.

I mostly enjoyed Killzone: Shadow Fall but I'm ready for GG to move on to something else, and an open world RPG sounds great.

DieH@rd

Banned
Hopefully this new game will not be placed in a science fiction world. That team needs a break from industrial / sf / warzone artstyle.

kevm3

Sounds like a great idea to me. Sony pretty much had all genres covered with their first party except rpgs.

I genuinely liked the world created in Killzone. I just hate modern FPS games.

GG have the tech and people to make something amazing here.

DieH@rd

Banned
"As a studio we do want to branch out," lead designer Eric Boltjes told Eurogamer, "and we have started work on a new IP, something completely different to Killzone. I don't want to say anything about it right now, but as a studio we do want to keep it fresh."

It wont be a shooter, that's for sure...

Fezan

SOny you spent so much money on GG. get obsdion onbaord too and merge them with GG. You will have GG graphics with obsdion story . best of both world

"As a studio we do want to branch out," lead designer Eric Boltjes told Eurogamer, "and we have started work on a new IP, something completely different to Killzone. I don't want to say anything about it right now, but as a studio we do want to keep it fresh."

It wont be a shooter, that's for sure...

Not necessarily, shooter itself has way too many subgenres that it can be very different and still be a shooter.

KZObsessed

Hiring a former Obsidian employee doesn't necessarily mean he's going to work at a RPG even this time.

True, and normally I wouldn't jump to such a conclusion but there's been a self perpetuating GAF rumour of them making an RPG. Just thought I'd add some fuel to the (possibly BS) fire. :p

Thinking about it though, if they are making an RPG I think it's more likely they'd make something more akin to Mass Effect than a true open world game. A kind of linear TPS/RPG hybrid. Personally I'd be sad to see them leave the first person perspective because they're animators are so good at it and their gunplay is top tier but from comments they've made it seems they want to branch out and do something new. Can't blame them.

My dream game though would be a Fallout game with KZ2 style visuals and gunplay. I'd even fund it myself. Call me Guerrilla Games.

True, and normally I wouldn't jump to such a conclusion but there's been a self perpetuating GAF rumour of them making an RPG. Just thought I'd add some fuel to the (possibly BS) fire. :p

Thinking about it though, if they are making an RPG I think it's more likely they'd make something more akin to Mass Effect than a true open world game. A kind of linear TPS/RPG hybrid. Personally I'd be sad to see them leave the first person perspective because they're animators are so good at it and their gunplay is top tier but from comments they've made it seems they want to branch out and do something new. Can't blame them.

My dream game though would be a Fallout game with KZ2 style visuals and gunplay. I'd even fund it myself. Call me Guerrilla Games.
If you have that much money, you should call sony, probably shu yoshida

noah111

Still Alive
Really can't wait to see what they're up to. Part of me hopes it's still in the Killzone universe, though. The story and lore of that universe is just so deep and untapped (unfortunately).

Perhaps back on Earth?

Dinda

I would really like a modern day Open World RPG.

There are really too few of that. Something like "The Secret World" in Singleplayer.

TheOddOne

Sounds like he worked on WB's open world game Shadow of Mordor?

Two straight back-to-back RPG credits. That is intresting.

Xater

I would really like a modern day Open World RPG.

There are really too few of that. Something like "The Secret World" in Singleplayer.

Our current times are really underutilized in RPGs. The only series that is still doing it is basically Persona and that has also a lot to do with why I like it so much. It would be great to see a western RPG that does it.

As much as I love the Killzone games (Mercenary is my current addiction, at least until my PS4 and Shadow Fall turn up) it is the right time for Guerilla to move away from the property.

A whole new genre is certainly something I would like to see them try to attempt, if it leads to some fresh ideas (and hopefully a decent story this time?!) then I'll be over the moon. They have certainly shown they have potential when it comes to the FPS market, I hope that translates into something greater when approaching something different.

SOny you spent so much money on GG. get obsdion onbaord too and merge them with GG. You will have GG graphics with obsdion story . best of both world

This is actually a great idea. I think Obsidian are a seriously underrated developer who've always got the short straw from publishers. Guerrilla are technical wizards who can't write for shit. Merge the two and they'll become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.

Averon

I hope GG is making a Western RPG.

Hell, I hope GG does anything other than another Killzone game. Let them spread their wings in other genres/gametypes.

V_Ben

Banned
Sounds like he worked on WB's open world game Shadow of Mordor?

Two straight back-to-back RPG credits. That is intresting.

Aye, very interesting. Shadow of Mordor looks like it's leaning more towards hard fantasy, so... it wouldn't surprise me if Guerilla advertised to studios they were working on something similar. Or, if they went after him deliberately.

Hopefully this new game will not be placed in a science fiction world. That team needs a break from industrial / sf / warzone artstyle.

You know, with a rpg, they might finally be able to tap into all the art and backstory they've probably amassed for the Killzone universe.

Great hire. Guerilla taking on a RPG with the Killzone writers seemed like a disaster in the making. Hopefully this comes at a stage in development where he can make a proper difference.

duckroll

Should probably also note that he wasn't hired directly from Obsidian. He left after New Vegas wrapped up, and joined Warner Brothers to work on some LotR game. Not sure if it ever came out, of it its the new one they just announced, but he left WB some time ago and joined Guerilla.

ArjanN

Our current times are really underutilized in RPGs. The only series that is still doing it is basically Persona and that has also a lot to do with why I like it so much. It would be great to see a western RPG that does it.

Vampire Bloodlines <3

It's probably because in a modern setting you notice the stuff that doesn't make sense a lot more.

Alienous

Judging by how Shadow Fall seems to be fufilling a quota, and that I remember Hulst talking about it during PS4 previews, I think we should all be excited.

Truant

Guerilla graphics and world design coupled with interesting gameplay and an open world is a recipe for success.

They've been wasting their talent on those terrible Killzone shooters for way too long.

Xater

Vampire Bloodlines <3

It's probably because in a modern setting you notice the stuff that doesn't make sense a lot more.

Maybe, but there ways to introduce supernatural or sc-fi elements into such games. I also think you could totally do one without such elements.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
ewwww no Guerilla Games doing an open world RPG is like that shitty guy who suddenly decides he wants to learn guitar because he thinks it will help him get laid.

skybald

After Killzone Shadow Fall I have a hard time thinking this team will be able to put together an interesting story.

Top Bottom