• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Executive designers leave 343, According to Brad Sams.

Dabaus

Banned
343 went out of their to brag about hiring people that Hate halo. Think of how insane, out of touch, and degrading to your fanbase that is. Halo 1,2,3, and Reach are some of the best games of all time. Like we can argue which one of them are better than the other, but they stand head and shoulders above whatever crap 343 is putting out. And i dont think infinite will change the trend. Id love to be wrong.

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is genuinely depressing, if true. I was very much looking forward to Halo Infinite, but knowing who runs the show at 343 made me realize it would never live up to expectations.

Not sure if this is who you meant, but the director of franchise development being a Reseterror that yelled about wanting to punch kids in MAGA hats, tells you everything you need to know about why things are going so poorly for Halo.

I agree. I want nothing more than what Halo Infinite promised. A return to form on today’s technology and level of production, with all the incredible opportunities that would afford. It’s just not looking great for that vision to become a cohesive product.

Not sure if this is who you meant, but the director of franchise development being a Reseterror that yelled about wanting to punch kids in MAGA hats, tells you everything you need to know about why things are going so poorly for Halo.

I agree. I want nothing more than what Halo Infinite promised. A return to form on today’s technology and level of production, with all the incredible opportunities that would afford. It’s just not looking great for that vision to become a cohesive product.
That employee should've been fired from his job after making a statement like that in public. What a joke 343 has become. Bonnie is most likely the culprit behind this debacle. The only person to keep her job after shipping less than great halo games this past decade.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
HGJAHvl.png

(lol)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
343 went out of their to brag about hiring people that Hate halo. Think of how insane, out of touch, and degrading to your fanbase that is. Halo 1,2,3, and Reach are some of the best games of all time. Like we can argue which one of them are better than the other, but they stand head and shoulders above whatever crap 343 is putting out. And i dont think infinite will change the trend. Id love to be wrong.

Did the bolded really happen?

ExpandKong

Banned
Did the bolded really happen?

EDIT can’t link right lol found this quote

"We had people who we hired who hated Halo because of 'X,'" says O'Connor. "But what that really meant was, 'I feel like this game could be awesome because of 'Y input' that I'm going to bring into it. I want to prove it, and I'm passionate about proving it.' So we ended up with a bunch of people who were genuinely passionate about the product. That is a huge advantage, and that helped in hiring and forming our team."

Last edited:

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
For Halo 4, he says there were a few epiphany moments that helped boost the morale of the team. One of the earlier ones that Holmes recalls was when the team completed a small piece of the Halo experience that he described as a "very traditional" Halo. User research showed that people thought it was a lot of fun, and it showed that the team was capable of making a Halo game that was true to what the series was about.

343 scrapped it, Holmes says, as it was too traditional.
:messenger_fearful:

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
Jeez. And now we know why Halo is the way is viewed the way it is right now.
JFC. How hard is it to give people a traditional Halo game?! Maybe they should try making a good Halo game before trying to reinvent the wheel. It seems like the talent at 343 is there it's just being put to use in making a Halo game people who like Halo don't want.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Welp, I was fearing that Halo Infinite won't launch with Scarlett when the Creative Director left. Now I'm actually hoping it doesn't. They need time to fix this shit if it's true.

They better get their shit together!

jakinov

Could be nothing. Could be something bigger. Even if they left for negative reasons, doesn't necessarily mean bad things. It frees up positions that you didn't have to lay people off to fill. We don't work for 343 so we don't even know if those guys had a positive impact. They could have been why Halo 5 sucked for all we know. It's more likely a bigger issue when more key/influential people leave but it can also lead to better prospects with the new people's ideas. For example, a lot of Playstation execs shakeup since PS3 gen and they better than ever. No more Phil Harrison, Jack Tretton, etc. Starting of X1 generation has some corporate shakeups too. No more Phil Harrison, Don Mattrick, etc. Just watch when Stadia fails, and Phil Harrison "leaves", just you wait and see how much better Google's gaming initiative gets.

Varteras

Gold Member
Typically not a good look for a game. Especially when we still haven't actually seen it. 343 isn't a bad studio, but it hasn't recaptured the magic of Halo from the Bungie days and that was the expectation placed on it by many. It's an expectation that probably shouldn't exist anymore at this point. It's the same thing with The Coalition and Gears. They haven't managed to make Gears as big as it used to be under Epic and people should probably stop anticipating that it ever will.

Lone Wolf

Could be nothing. Could be something bigger. Even if they left for negative reasons, doesn't necessarily mean bad things. It frees up positions that you didn't have to lay people off to fill. We don't work for 343 so we don't even know if those guys had a positive impact. They could have been why Halo 5 sucked for all we know. It's more likely a bigger issue when more key/influential people leave but it can also lead to better prospects with the new people's ideas. For example, a lot of Playstation execs shakeup since PS3 gen and they better than ever. No more Phil Harrison, Jack Tretton, etc. Starting of X1 generation has some corporate shakeups too. No more Phil Harrison, Don Mattrick, etc. Just watch when Stadia fails, and Phil Harrison "leaves", just you wait and see how much better Google's gaming initiative gets.
Lol what’s up with Harrison, he has some strange timing with his employments.

BlackTron

Typically not a good look for a game. Especially when we still haven't actually seen it. 343 isn't a bad studio, but it hasn't recaptured the magic of Halo from the Bungie days and that was the expectation placed on it by many. It's an expectation that probably shouldn't exist anymore at this point. It's the same thing with The Coalition and Gears. They haven't managed to make Gears as big as it used to be under Epic and people should probably stop anticipating that it ever will.

Ah, but apparently they DID. They just decided to intentionally scrap it to do something different.

Maybe that was our last chance to get a legit modern Halo game, and by now all the people responsible for getting it right are tired of the bullshit.

Halo is like Microsoft's Mario. And they're a software company. How can they let such a critical franchise endure so many failures. They couldn't even get the MC Collection right, and that was a major blow to the health of the XB One as a platform.

All I see from them is failure and pontificating about theories of game development and diversity. Fuck your theories and do some work god dammit.

Again, at this point I'll be impressed and relieved if they can actually push out one, single, fully functioning Halo game to Steam without another black eye. Come on guys this is pathetic. Microsoft is being too complacent with their incompetence.

oldergamer

People leave game studios all the time. Considering they have what, 300 people? i wouldn't be suprised if they have a few departures each week. Also who knows what these people were working on. It could have been R&D

Last edited:

oldergamer

I think most people here have no idea how hard it is to keep everyone happy at large development studios. Its next to impossible.

When a large studio lose upwards of 40 to 50 people, or a mass exodus of studio management thats where an impact is felt.

Last edited:
Hey MS it’s time you save your most valuable IP and kick 343 to the curb we waited a year and still only got a cinematic trailer at E3 😂

lucius

Could be a good thing 5 was the worst campaign of all the games, now Halo can try again because the series isn’t gonna end not matter what happens with Infinite. Maybe Microsoft can buy back Bungie give them whatever they want (I know not likely) but you never know.

Top Bottom