• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts III news coming in future... maybe at E3...

KoopaTheCasual

You're faith crumbled when he continued to push brand new IPs (TWEWY?), the highest rated games in his main franchise (Birth By Sleep?), and wants his 1 and only Final Fantasy to be similar to that of FF XII and distance himself away from XIII? Or how he pushed new blood in the company into director roles?

Can you explain to me exactly when your faith was shaken other then platform choice?
I see this statement being thrown around a lot. I would love to believe it, but I can't find any source on it. Was it in some interview or untranslated tid-bit that I missed? I want it to be true, but I need a source, first.

Beth Cyra

I see this statement being thrown around a lot. I would love to believe it, but I can't find any source on it. Was it in some interview or untranslated tid-bit that I missed? I want it to be true, but I need a source, first.
An interview. Nomura has repeatedly talked highly of FF XII and has said he wants his game to take elements from it.

DieH@rd

Banned
If there isn't an FFXV trailer with a release date at E3, I'm going to lose my shit.

978b4b9cdca175fcd0f2fab1b57600a24829309d41939e4dd721d9415ebca025.jpg

Famassu

I am not the only one who has seen his or her faith in Nomura crumble to dust over the better part of the past decade.

I'm not trying to start a flame war. I'm really hopeful for KH3 and FFXV but I am apprehensive, sorry.
Why would you have your faith in Nomura crumble? If it's because Versus XIII, that's silly, because things have mostly been out of his control (not only did SQEX announce it years too early and have bigger company-wide problems that hugely affected VsXIII's development no matter what he did, higher-ups put Nomura's team to work on XIII, XIV and then give XIII-2 & LR a higher priority, all of which aren't really stuff Nomura can magically fix or change). The only thing Nomura is somewhat responsible in XV's "delays" are the decisions to want to develop such ambitious Final Fantasy in the first place and, more recently (in 2012), to turn FFXV into "next-gen" only game instead of being shackled down by PS3's crapola hardware as a cross-gen game (which I see purely as a great decision for the game, even if it means more waiting).

If anything, the last decade should have given you more reason to love Nomura. He's nurtured some incredible talent/teams, is one of the biggest reasons why a game like TWEWY is what it is today (it was originally a much smaller project, until Nomura took notice and took it under his wing and became somewhat involved with the project), has been creative director on games like Theatrhythm etc. and despite all difficulties & delays, seems to be delivering what could end up being one of the pinnacles of the FF franchise.

It's a 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 4 thing. There was a Famitsu interview in, like, 2010 or 2011 or something where Nomura said that they scrapped their early prototypes of an old school world map because they felt it didn't quite fit the style of the game (1) and that they had "replaced it with something more in line with Final Fantasy ???" (+1) (for some stupid PR reason, Famitsu had to censor what FF he actually meant, which is why I used the ???). We also know Nomura is a fan of FFXII (+1). And we've actually seen the game in action and the explorable overworld looks a lot like what FFXII would probably have looked like if they didn't have to change things due to the limitations of PS2 (+1). So... yeah, Nomura has clearly took some pointers from how FFXII did things.

Also, getting Jun Akiyama (who is/was one of the go-to guys for Matsuno for event/scenario direction & writing) involved + the storyline being about betrayal, politics, scheming & war is certainly a lot more like what Matsuno would do & did do with FFXII than some "giant monster returns every now & then to wreck shit up, only a dream can destroy it" stuff like X.

If you're going to use "BUT KINGDOM HEARTS! CONVOLUTED" against Nomura as if he could never direct anything like FFXII, then you have to understand that Nomura has somewhat deliberately taken KH's story into that kind of direction (not that it completely excuses the shoddy storylines, but meh, some of us enjoy some of the batshit crazy story developments). He noticed early on that a big portion of the KH fanbase really like all the speculation about what certain cryptic stuff might mean and where the storyline would go next (if we would see some epic Keyblade War and stuff like that). I don't think that should be used against his ability to do something more serious.

I think you're really confused here. Luminous is certainly not canned. They said specifically that right now XV isn't running entirely on the Luminous Engine because it's not entirely done, but they're hoping that will be the case by the time the game is released.

As for target renders, I believe Hashimoto confirmed at the Q&A session for the press at E3 itself that for FFXV the trailer contained a number of target render scenes because they didn't have a lot of time to put it together. That's why they put out another video right after that containing actual in-game combat.

Hashimoto said no such thing. I watched that entire Q&A session multiple times. Target render was something Kagari brought forth around E3.

Edit: I am assuming you are talking about this Q&A session he did at E3 about the future of FF. http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/...v-e3-2013--q---a-part-1?xrs=share_gtios_email

You guys need to stop worrying about a release date. It'll come when it comes. Just hope to see a trailer that shows the game very far along, hopefully showcasing the world map, chocobos, other cities and towns, and please finally, some new music.

I'll be happy with that, and to see that the game will hopefully be a true Final Fantasy.

jimmypython

Why would you have your faith in Nomura crumble? If it's because Versus XIII, that's silly, because things have mostly been out of his control (not only did SQEX announce it years too early and have bigger company-wide problems that hugely affected VsXIII's development no matter what he did, higher-ups put Nomura's team to work on XIII, XIV and then give XIII-2 & LR a higher priority, all of which aren't really stuff Nomura can magically fix or change). The only thing Nomura is somewhat responsible in XV's "delays" are the decisions to want to develop such ambitious Final Fantasy in the first place and, more recently (in 2012), to turn FFXV into "next-gen" only game instead of being shackled down by PS3's crapola hardware as a cross-gen game (which I see purely as a great decision for the game, even if it means more waiting).

If anything, the last decade should have given you more reason to love Nomura. He's nurtured some incredible talent/teams, is one of the biggest reasons why a game like TWEWY is what it is today (it was originally a much smaller project, until Nomura took notice and took it under his wing and became somewhat involved with the project), has been creative director on games like Theatrhythm etc. and despite all difficulties & delays, seems to be delivering what could end up being one of the pinnacles of the FF franchise.

It's a 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 4 thing. There was a Famitsu interview in, like, 2010 or 2011 or something where Nomura said that they scrapped their early prototypes of an old school world map because they felt it didn't quite fit the style of the game (1) and that they had "replaced it with something more in line with Final Fantasy ???" (+1) (for some stupid PR reason, Famitsu had to censor what FF he actually meant, which is why I used the ???). We also know Nomura is a fan of FFXII (+1). And we've actually seen the game in action and the explorable overworld looks a lot like what FFXII would probably have looked like if they didn't have to change things due to the limitations of PS2 (+1). So... yeah, Nomura has clearly took some pointers from how FFXII did things.

Also, getting Jun Akiyama (who is/was one of the go-to guys for Matsuno for event/scenario direction & writing) involved + the storyline being about betrayal, politics, scheming & war is certainly a lot more like what Matsuno would do & did do with FFXII than some "giant monster returns every now & then to wreck shit up, only a dream can destroy it" stuff like X.

If you're going to use "BUT KINGDOM HEARTS! CONVOLUTED" against Nomura as if he could never direct anything like FFXII, then you have to understand that Nomura has somewhat deliberately taken KH's story into that kind of direction (not that it completely excuses the shoddy storylines, but meh, some of us enjoy some of the batshit crazy story developments). He noticed early on that a big portion of the KH fanbase really like all the speculation about what certain cryptic stuff might mean and where the storyline would go next (if we would see some epic Keyblade War and stuff like that). I don't think that should be used against his ability to do something more serious.

This is the man~!

I really feel like the release window is obviously going to be somewhere from Spring to Fall 2015. Of course it could slip to 2016, but I'm doubting that at this point. 2015 sounds about right.

I just want the game to be amazing. Graphically impressive, Exploration, HD Towns and Cities, World Map with airships, chocobos and other vehicles (as they had planned), along with a hopefully good story and amazing Yoko Shimomura soundtrack. I'm not too worried about the battle system, I'm sure it will be fine and it looks fun.

And speaking of storylines, I tend to like the giant monster only a dream can destroy it FFX style story, over the political betrayal stuff of FFT and FF12. This a Final Fantasy, I want some crazy fantastical elements. I hope FFXV draws a good balance here.

KoopaTheCasual

Sorry, to ask again, but can you link me to him talking about it? My google-fu is super weak, because I can't get anything on him in regards to FFXII, except for random haters on gamefaqs.

And I actually like Kingdom Hearts. It only started getting really wonky, when he let Watanabe write. Between the two of them, I don't know who's more responsible, but every story Watanabe touches has a tendency to be a garbled mess. It's ok. I'm still really down with that franchise.

This man preaches the gospel everytime and instills faith in me everytime a FFXV thread comes along. I'm still of the mindset that FFXV=2015

clem84

Gold Member
Aren't those things a given? There was a trailer last year and last I checked, XV is still scheduled to come out this year. So, it goes without saying that there should be a trailer. Unless... things aren't going as smoothly as expected in FF land.

HeelPower

Yeah, it pretty well blows, but on the other hand, I'm almost caught off-guard by the fact that E3 is just a little over 2 months away. To me, it feels like E3 2013 was relatively recent.

I am looking forward to this E3 way more than TGS.

TGS is a source of pain and misery xD

I also can't believe almost a full year has already passed since last year's E3 as well.Crazy.

I sincerely believe we could have gotten FF Versus 13/XV on PS3 had Toriyama not embarked on his Bizzare Lightningu Adventure all of last gen. I called it a few yers ago that 2015 is the earliest we would see Versus/XV. It made no sense to release two massive Console FFs in the same year.

All in all, I blame SE CEO for prioritizing Toriyama's waifu wank over Nomura's vision.

Beth Cyra

I sincerely believe we could have gotten FF Versus 13/XV on PS3 had Toriyama not embarked on his Bizzare Lightningu Adventure all of last gen. I called it a few yers ago that 2015 is the earliest we would see Versus/XV. It made no sense to release two massive Console FFs in the same year.

All in all, I blame SE CEO for prioritizing Toriyama's waifu wank over Nomura's vision.
I hate stuff like XIII-2 and LR, but the existence of these things doesn't really impact Nomura. XIII proper did, but the rest of the stuff would fall on to resources being relocated for FF XIV.

Toriyama's games, XIII-2 in particular were heavily out sourced and done with shoe string budgets.

Famassu

Sorry, to ask again, but can you link me to him talking about it? My google-fu is super weak, because I can't get anything on him in regards to FFXII, except for random haters on gamefaqs.
http://www.examiner.com/article/nomura-discusses-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-s-world-map

Here's a translation of the interview that mentions the change from an old school world map to something else in "FF#". It ditches a world map like FFI-IX and everything we've seen so far looks nothing like X or XIII, which means XII is a pretty logical conclusion of the FF they are taking example of.

EDIT: oh, wait, you were asking about the liking FFXII part. I'll try to find that...

HeelPower

http://www.examiner.com/article/nomura-discusses-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-s-world-map

Here's a translation of the interview that mentions the change from an old school world map to something else in "FF#". It ditches a world map like FFI-IX and everything we've seen so far looks nothing like X or XIII, which means XII is a pretty logical conclusion of the FF they are taking example of.

EDIT: oh, wait, you were asking about the liking FFXII part. I'll try to find that...

Its gonna be NOTHING like XII or any other FF for that matter.

This game is gonna be a mature take on KH style of gameplay.There is nothing to point that its gonna be similar to XII.

Its gonna be a thing of its own within series.

This game is just going to be different.

Famassu

Its gonna be NOTHING like XII or any other FF for that matter.

This game is gonna be a mature take on KH style of gameplay.There is nothing to point that its gonna be similar to XII.

Its gonna be a thing of its own within series.

This game is just going to be different.
Sure, it has its own era/style and the combat is completely different from FFXII, but the more realistically proportioned overworld type (with obvious technological advantages that PS3 offered and now PS4Bone offer in comparison to the highly limiting PS2 hardware) is something Nomura has somewhat "copied" from FFXII because he felt those kinds of explorable environments work better in the kind of game he's making FFXV into.

It's there in the interview's translation I linked to; "we ditched the old school world map in favor of an overworld like that in FF???" (us know having seen the game, FFXV is clearly more like FFXII with its overworld than any other (non-MMO) FF). Then there's the fact that he specifically wanted Jun Akiyama to be involved due to admiring his work in FFXII (and possible before).

It's clear that Nomura is going for a more FFXII-like vibe with the way they are handling the environments and with the seemingly politics, war & betrayal filled story than, say, more or less fantastical FFVII's we-are-sucking-out-the-planet's-lifestream-and-a-giant-meteor-has-been-summoned-to-destroy-us, FFVIII's schoolboys & girls playing war with silly orphanages and weird witches or X's huge-monster-is-about-to-destroy-the-world storylines. That doesn't mean the WHOLE game will be just like FFXII (and even the overworld is a much more advanced version of FFXII's, from what we've seen), just that Nomura is using some parts of it as an example for XV.

I'd say the blame lies more on the original FFXIII and XIV1.0 than XIII-2 & LR per se. The thing about XIII-2 & Lightning Returns is... they were kind of "necessary".

The big problem from VsXIII's production timeline's POV was that Versus XIII was always going to be a multi-year project. It was always going to be a massive project (after KHII's release and when Nomura was vaguely talking about his next big it's-not-KHIII project, even in early 2006 he was all like "yeah, it'll be a big project that will take years"). I mean this in a way that, even if Nomura had gotten a big team in mid-to-late 2006 or early 2007 and even if SQEX hadn't had any problems with Crystal Tools (and all that it entailed) and even if the KH Team et all didn't have to participate in FFXIII's development for a whole year and whatever at least part of them might've had to do at times on XIV, VsXIII would probably not have been released until, like, 2010-2011.

But all of that DID happen and they didn't do much with FFVsXIII until 2010. It being a long project, they needed to fill the release calendar with something (-> enter a quick-ish asset recycle XIII-2). After XIII-2's release, it was already late 2011-early 2012 -> they had already worked on XV as a cross-gen title in 2011 and moved on fully to current gen in 2012, meaning the development was prolonged and SQEX was again in a situation where they were looking at a long period with very few console releases -> Lightning Returns to end up PS3 generation of FFs while Nomura continued with FFXV's conversion to a PS4Bone game.

Koozek

How many of the XIII/LR team are working on XV, right now? Or is it safe to say that those guys are already working on the next big project like XVI or even VIIR (who knows :p)?
I mean, it's known that Kitase left XV for a new project recently. Maybe it's really X-3, despite SE denying it a while ago^^

How many of the XIII/LR team are working on XV, right now?Or is it safe to say that those guys are already working on the next big project like XVI or even VIIR (who knows :p)?
I would imagine nobody knows for sure, but it's probably safe to say that, for the positions where it will really make the difference, very close to zero. The core of the XV team is the original KH1/KH2 team.

As others have also said, I do not agree with this. Despite my dislike for Toriyama, I don't think he really had anything to do with this. The real blame lies with XIV 1.0 - that game bombed so hard, they had to reallocate most of the staff to rebooting it. XIII-2 and LR were made as basically stopgaps to get some money creating lower budgeted (reuse of assets, less CG, less everything pretty much) games; hell, some of those games were outsourced to other devs iirc (didn't Tri-Ace work on XIII-2 some?). I would have much preferred they used that time/energy to create a brand new game than have two sequels, but I can't imagine the cost would have equaled out.

ZSeba

Okay, they have no excuses now, since they released XIII, XIII-2, LR, FFXIV ARR, and eeeeverything they prioritised over FFXV (then called versus XIII).

I'm gonna lose my shit too if they don't show anything this E3 ....

Okay, they have no excuses now, since they released XIII, XIII-2, LR, FFXIV ARR, and eeeeverything they prioritised over FFXV (then called versus XIII).

I'm gonna lose my shit too if they don't show anything this E3 ....

Hope you're ready for Revenant Wings HD Remaster and FFX-3: Playing Blitzball with Tidus' Head

todd360

I could have sworn Square said they were going to be releasing info about FFXV more frequently.

You know now that I think about it, releasing info at this years e3 makes it a year between releasing info. Thats actually releasing info more frequently than usual. I mean before last years e3 many people have given the game up as being dead vapor ware lol. We went years without seeing the game. One year and then concrete info is more than what we used to get. That is if we see the game again at this years e3.

HeelPower

Sure, it has its own era/style and the combat is completely different from FFXII, but the more realistically proportioned overworld type (with obvious technological advantages that PS3 offered and now PS4Bone offer in comparison to the highly limiting PS2 hardware) is something Nomura has somewhat "copied" from FFXII because he felt those kinds of explorable environments work better in the kind of game he's making FFXV into.

It's there in the interview's translation I linked to; "we ditched the old school world map in favor of an overworld like that in FF???" (us know having seen the game, FFXV is clearly more like FFXII with its overworld than any other (non-MMO) FF). Then there's the fact that he specifically wanted Jun Akiyama to be involved due to admiring his work in FFXII (and possible before).

It's clear that Nomura is going for a more FFXII-like vibe with the way they are handling the environments and with the seemingly politics, war & betrayal filled story than, say, more or less fantastical FFVII's we-are-sucking-out-the-planet's-lifestream-and-a-giant-meteor-has-been-summoned-to-destroy-us, FFVIII's schoolboys & girls playing war with silly orphanages and weird witches or X's huge-monster-is-about-to-destroy-the-world storylines. That doesn't mean the WHOLE game will be just like FFXII (and even the overworld is a much more advanced version of FFXII's, from what we've seen), just that Nomura is using some parts of it as an example for XV.

Don't forget that Nojima is writing the game and that the game centers around the complex FNC mythos.

There will be a lot of pure fantasy in FFXV.

I don't expect FFXV to be entirely inundated with politics ,and frankly it shouldn't.

A mix of both would be nice.

Famassu

Don't forget that Nojima is writing the game and that the game centers around the complex FNC mythos.

There will be a lot of pure fantasy in FFXV.

I don't expect FFXV to be entirely inundated with politics ,and frankly it shouldn't.

A mix of both would be nice.

Well, the fantasy part comes in mostly in the form of the crystal and however that is tied to the storyline as well as events like giant Leviathans being summoned as huge boss battles (in addition to other kinds of smaller fantasy-elements). But mostly it seems to be more or less character-driven drama amidst possibly huge, world-changing events.

I would imagine nobody knows for sure, but it's probably safe to say that, for the positions where it will really make the difference, very close to zero. The core of the XV team is the original KH1/KH2 team.
From my understanding, a surprisingly big number of people are also key staff from FFVII's development team. IIRC, I even remember Nomura saying the team felt the same kind of enthusiasm as when they were creating FFVII.

How many of the XIII/LR team are working on XV, right now? Or is it safe to say that those guys are already working on the next big project like XVI or even VIIR (who knows :p)?
Probably very few if any key people, but they do move around a lot of people who do the grunt work (3d modellers and such) between projects, so there are probably some people who've done something or the other for one or more of the FFXIII games. That is to say, pretty much none of the people who made the bigger decisions with XIII saga have any role in FFXV's development. The combat people are mostly KH & Type-0 staff, I'd reckon, and I think the map/world (lead) designer is someone from FFVII and so on..

duckroll

Hashimoto said no such thing. I watched that entire Q&A session multiple times. Target render was something Kagari brought forth around E3.

Edit: I am assuming you are talking about this Q&A session he did at E3 about the future of FF. http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/...v-e3-2013--q---a-part-1?xrs=share_gtios_email

Hmmm yeah I wasn't 100% if he said it there, that's why I said I believe. Thanks for checking. They did specify that the footage they released after was completely "in-engine" though, which suggests that the trailer is not completely in-engine. There are certainly differences in some of the bigger set pieces.

Hmmm yeah I wasn't 100% if he said it there, that's why I said I believe. Thanks for checking. They did specify that the footage they released after was completely "in-engine" though, which suggests that the trailer is not completely in-engine. There are certainly differences in some of the bigger set pieces.

There is definitely at least a mix in builds. For instance, some of the stuff looks as good as anything we have seen revealed for next gen, for instance: indoor fight scene and the leviathon fight. Other stuff, such as the close up of the protags looks like it has a lot of PS3/X360 level assets...

Top Bottom