• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More FOBs coming to The Phantom Pain at a date "yet to be fixed" (?)

Alo0oy

Banned
So I contacted Konami support & I told them that I bought the large coins pack with no use for them except buying one FOB, & they emailed me back telling me that more are coming soon at a "date that is yet to be fixed".

Here's a screenshot of their email.

P3U7Kqa.jpg

(I'm playing it on PS4 so I don't know why they said PS3).

Alo0oy

Banned
You bought the large coin pack without doing any research whatsoever?

Nice.

In the pre-release microtransactions thread people were saying you could buy 4 FoBs, & even after release there was no concrete info, but the game shipped with only one FoB purchaseable with coins, you get the main motherbase & an additional online FoB for "free".

Mikey Jr.

.... how does blaming the victim justify what Konami continues to have on sale?

Didn't say I was justifying Konami at all.

I think the whole FOB thing is fucking stupid as shit.

But at least find out what these stupid phantom coins do before you plunk down $50+ dollars.

JPS Kai

I love Metal Gear & I wanted to experience the entire game, so I bought the largest coins pack, I didn't know I'd be stuck with 80% of the bought coins having absolutely no use.

You can use those coins to immediately finish the 13/25 hour missions.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I love Metal Gear & I wanted to experience the entire game, so I bought the largest coins pack, I didn't know I'd be stuck with 80% of the bought coins having absolutely no use.

But you can experience the entire game without the FOB coins. You get one whole FOB for free, even! But hey, hope you get your money's worth.

Crazy that Konami expects people to buy more than one FOB. Seems like overkill when they don't really help you all that much.

Alo0oy

Banned
In my opinion, never -ever- buy into real money consumable currency garbage in a full priced game. But at the very least, for damned sure don't buy into this kind of shit when they are being intentionally vague about how you can use the currency at all.

I'd like to say hopefully people realize how shitty Konami is for doing this and don't support their future titles... but well.

I'm normally against microtransactions that affect the core game, but this is Metal Gear, I had no choice.

Kinda like how people are against DLC until their favorite game has it.

Outrun

After playing through the single player up to chapter 1, I don't intend to get back to MGS until "a date yet to be fixed."

Great gameplay, confusing story, but I just could not get into base building.

As soon as I booted up the game for the first time, and read the EULA, I realized that Konami were acting... strange. I would not trust them with 10 cents Canadian...

Fisty

I think microtransactions for this kind of stuff is a terrible practice and I was very disappointed that it made its way into the game. I dont see why I should pay money just to make my counters go up faster, they should make the process more engaging instead of just annoying you until you pay to make it go faster.

i bought the $10 pack

Alo0oy

Banned
You can use those coins to immediately finish the 13/25 hour missions.

It costs 300-400 coins to finish those, & you only get like 1k fuel resources & some GMP for finishing them, for reference: it costs 1.2k coins to buy an entire FOB, & the largest coins pack has 6k coins.

Those missions are not worth it, I'd rather keep the coins forever.

Mikey Jr.

It costs 300-400 coins to finish those, & you only get like 1k fuel resources & some GMP for finishing them, for reference: it costs 1.2k coins to buy an entire FOB, & the largest coins pack has 6k coins.

Those missions are not worth it, I'd rather keep the coins forever.

Honestly?

Just save them up for MG Online if you are into that stuff.

I guarantee you that coin shit will be able to buy you some clothes or something.

I think microtransactions for this kind of stuff is a terrible practice and I was very disappointed that it made its way into the game. I dont see why I should pay money just to make my counters go up faster, they should make the process more engaging instead of just annoying you until you pay to make it go faster.

i bought the $10 pack
You can speed up timers? How?

Alo0oy

Banned
Honestly?

Just save them up for MG Online if you are into that stuff.

I guarantee you that coin shit will be able to buy you some clothes or something.

That's assuming MGO uses the same currency, the currency is called "Mother Base coins" after all.

Mikey Jr.

That's assuming MGO uses the same currency, the currency is called "Mother Base coins" after all.

PvgbwUB.jpg

May I ask why you bought these coins? So far, the only point I see with them is to get more staff. But I don't see the point. I beat the game with my normal tranq gun. Game is stupidly easy. Do you really need S rank weather reports?

PvgbwUB.jpg

May I ask why you bought these coins? So far, the only point I see with them is to get more staff. But I don't see the point. I beat the game with my normal tranq gun. Game is stupidly easy. Do you really need S rank weather reports?

Have you invaded a FOB? Have you retaliated?

VARIA

I'm about to start mission 22 and I'm thinking of playing offline after that. Am I hurting my play experience by NOT going the FOB route?

Losing hard earned soldiers and materials just sounds like a huge pain.

I'm about to start mission 22 and I'm thinking of playing offline after that. Am I hurting my play experience by NOT going the FOB route?

tbh nobody's gonna invade you unless you start invading. I barely get invaded and I've played a decent amount of FOB missions. Don't worry about it.

I've invaded 22 times successfully. I've only been invaded twice and those were counter invasions (because I was seen on other bases).

My tips: On your FOB: don't do 1, 1, 1, 1, for all your areas. Build one up over time so it's defense increases and it will deter people from invading even if they do find you. I see a lot of people online that have intel @ 1, r&d @ 1, base dev @ 1, command @ 1. They spread themselves out and their defense sucks.

duckroll

They already announced at TGS that there is a big FOB update coming along with MGO on Oct 6, so this is probably related to that.

I'm normally against microtransactions that affect the core game, but this is Metal Gear, I had no choice.

Kinda like how people are against DLC until their favorite game has it.

I don't understand your logic here. Are you trying to imply that you need extra FOBs to experience the full extent of the game? Do you honestly believe that? I'm on mission 38, having fun, and am in absolutely NO need of any extra FOBs than the free one I got in game. I've heard people beat the game with close to fully spec'd out gear without buying a single MB coin, or by extension an extra FOB.

Are you saying that FOB invasions are an integral part of the 'Metal Gear' experience? Because I can tell you, they may have their moments, but it's a flash in the pan.

Xanathus

The stupidest thing is that you have more than enough resources and max staff capacity in order to research every single thing with just the single free FOB. There is absolutely zero use for having more than one FOB except for someone who wants to get things "faster" although you end up being capped by resources which FOB doesn't really help at all.

Unless they add more stuff to research in the FOB update, it's completely pointless to buy any FOB.

Mikey Jr.

The stupidest thing is that you have more than enough resources and max staff capacity in order to research every single thing with just the single free FOB. There is absolutely zero use for having more than one FOB except for someone who wants to get things "faster" although you end up being capped by resources which FOB doesn't really help at all.

Unless they add more stuff to research in the FOB update, it's completely pointless to buy any FOB.

To be fair, the staff on the platforms are ranked by how well they can do their job. The more staff you have, the better the rank.

So for instance, the support team has different rankings for weather reports and finding medicinal plants. So if they are S rank, they'll better at giving you those reports. If the medical team is S rank, they will heal guys quicker, etc. etc.Or your guys can better at calling in more airstrikes. Shit like that.

At the end of the day though, I had 1 extra FOB, kind of shit staff, and I beat that game with my eyes closed with the basic tranq gun.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lol Why would you want more than 1? The staff increase isn't really needed beyond that one for unlocking everything.

Xanathus

To be fair, the staff on the platforms are ranked by how well they can do their job. The more staff you have, the better the rank.

So for instance, the support team has different rankings for weather reports and finding medicinal plants. So if they are S rank, they'll better at giving you those reports. If the medical team is S rank, they will heal guys quicker, etc. etc.Or your guys can better at calling in more airstrikes. Shit like that.

At the end of the day though, I had 1 extra FOB, kind of shit staff, and I beat that game with my eyes closed with the basic tranq gun.
Ummm that's completely irrelevant to what I posted? I'm saying you have access to *all* of the abilities and can have enough total staff capacity to research everything with just the single free FOB, and possibly even without it.

Why would you spend money on this
when you should be saving it for the Metal Gear Solid pachinko.

It's coming. You know this to be true.

Alo0oy

Banned
Ummm that's completely irrelevant to what I posted? I'm saying you have access to *all* of the abilities and can have enough total staff capacity to research everything with just the single free FOB, and possibly even without it.

I can beat the game using a tranq gun only, but I didn't buy the game to beat it, I bought it to complete it.

Besides, they're there for multiplayer too.

As far as I know, you can't directly shortcut timers with your real money currency. They might have meant how FOBs can reduce the amount of material grind by having more teams out on missions at once. That definitely reduces the grind and you definitely have to pay real money for that.

You can pay to immediately complete the online dispatch missions. I believe that's it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I can beat the game using a tranq gun only, but I didn't buy the game to beat it, I bought it to complete it.

Besides, they're there for multiplayer too.

You get an FOB for free, how does buying more help you "complete" MGSV? That's what some of us are trying to understand.

I mean, it's your money and you can spend it however you like! But it feels like you're expecting way more out of the FOB than it really gives you.

Alo0oy

Banned
You get an FOB for free, how does buying more help you "complete" MGSV? That's what some of us are trying to understand.

I mean, it's your money and you can spend it however you like! But it feels like you're expecting way more out of the FOB than it really gives you.

Well, you can't make all the unit functions level "S" unless you have two FoBs.

Top Bottom