• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Mass Effect 3 details [Planet Aesthetics Detailed, Verdict On Space Battles]

Arjen

Only location that sounds interesting is a salarian world, i don't want to visit freakin London and New York in a space game, i can do that irl.
I'm hoping for Hanar home world/ Turian world/ Quarian home world.

DaBuddaDa

Sir Fragula said:
How often do you get
English
cities in games?
London
is *not* heavily used.
Regardless of its ingemination, when I think of an 80s pulp sci-fi space role playing game, the last location I would want to visit is future London or...Mars! Whoopty fucking doo.

Jarmel

Banned
Tunesmith said:
My Spanish is very rusty but I don't see the actual article mention Herald as a name, just that the biggest ships would be 2km and the smaller ones 5-600m.

They way they capitalized Herald though either that means that Herald is a specific class of Reapers, top dawgs if you will, or it's one specific Reaper. Take that as you will.

I looked at the scans and most is old stuff except two particular images. One being on the influences page, in which they have some godly picks for influences, and the other being on the page with the Cerberus operatives and Sergeant Anderson. The first picture has a rather interesting enemy design. It kinda has a Crysis kind of super-soldier look to it. The other picture is much more interesting. It looks almost like the inside of a Reaper but it doesn't make any sense. A Reaper wouldn't have windows and the lighting is too bright.

Walshicus

DaBuddaDa said:
Regardless of its ingemination, when I think of an 80s pulp sci-fi space role playing game, the last location I would want to visit is future London or...Mars! Whoopty fucking doo.
Well, I'm very much looking forward to it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Zenith said:
maybe they named him Geraldo?
The article says (pardon my Spanish):

"The Reapers themselves will appear, with the ship Sovereign leading the fleet, being 2 kilometers high, flanked by other smaller ships of 500 to 600 meters in size."

My guess is Herald is a mistranslation of Harbinger, and Sovereign is the class of ship he is / Sovereign was.

Jarmel

Banned
Sir Fragula said:
Well, I'm very much looking forward to it.

You and a bunch of other people. Just because some people can't imagine London or New York being interesting and different doesn't mean other people can't.

Acidote said:
Herald is not a new reaper. The translation for Harbinger in Spanish is Heraldo.

So I guess that means Harbinger is indeed one of the big shots. That's good news.

Lakitu

st5fu
DaBuddaDa said:

Initially you were supposed to go to Mars during ME 1 via DLC.

I can't see us not going to places like Rannoch (Quarian / Geth homeworld), Thessia and Palaven.

Marleyman

Banned
DennisK4 said:
huh?

They also mention Krogan moon (boring war-torn grimdark) and Mars (red and bland and familiar)

That isn't something I can get wildly excited about.

There isn't any of those locations that jumps out at me as something wondrous and new.

What would get you excited for this? I mean, this title is going to be dark in tone and story - why does it matter if the worlds are as well?

Kurtofan

DennisK4 said:
huh?

They also mention Krogan moon (boring war torn grimdark) and Mars (red and bland and familiar)

Krogans are important whether you like it or not.
I don't understand this hatred for "grimdark", who cares as long as it's good?

Gears of Wars doesn't have the monopoly of dark environments.

Jarmel

Banned
Lakitu said:
Initially you were supposed to go to Mars during ME 1 via DLC.

I can't see us not going to places like Rannoch (Quarian / Geth homeworld), Thessia and Palaven.

Well they already confirmed Rannoch. I can see them cutting out Thessia and just expanding Illium as if my memory serves me correctly, Illium is really the highlight of the Asari Empire.

They HAVE to show Palaven though. I need to see what the Turian females look like.

Acidote

Kyoufu said:
Usted sabrá que el dolor, Shepardo.

The game is not dubbed, so... You will know pain, Shepard. In fact the "combat voices" aren't even subbed (and it's a good call, I don't want annoying lines over and over).

Marleyman

Banned
Arjen said:
Only location that sounds interesting is a salarian world, i don't want to visit freakin London and New York in a space game, i can do that irl.
I'm hoping for Hanar home world/ Turian world/ Quarian home world.

They need to advance the story and the story makes sense to have Shepard defending Earth. As for the other locations, unless they are relevant to stopping the Reaper invasion I see no need to include them just because - this isn't a Milky Way tour game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DennisK4 said:
They also mention Krogan moon (boring war-torn grimdark) and Mars (red and bland and familiar)

There isn't any of those locations that jumps out at me as something wondrous and new.

Salarian homeworld, and they dont mention a Krogan or Quarian moon. They mention a moon of "koriano".

Dont beat around the bush Dennis. You're Ilos/Virmire campaign is a never ending speel of whining that manages to rear it's ugly head in every Mass Effect thread, almost as often as Krogran anus.

You should try waiting until you actually see some footage or shots of any of the environments before you start your bitching.

Rodhull

DaBuddaDa said:
I don't see why not. The alien cities we've seen thus far in the series haven't stood out that much to make me think a human City would be any less interesting. Omega could easily have been used as an underworld area of a City on earth without much needing to be changed.

I'm at least going to wait and see some art before getting down on it.

Walshicus

Jarmel said:
Illium is really the highlight of the Asari Empire.
It was? I might have misread, but I thought it was just one of many similar mid-tier colonies?

From the wiki:

Officially, Illium is not an asari world; it is colonized and operated by asari corporate interests.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
BioWare said:
In which way this issue evolves the franchise?

Great challenge of Mass Effect 3 was our own ambition and goals. We wanted to increase the level of adventure and at the same time satisfy the expectations of the players. The aim was to make Mass Effect the best possible and we're getting to a comprehensive improvement of all the sections from the technical aspects to the most minute details of the gameplay. Details such as improvements in the combat system and the increasing importance of the inventory system are the most tangible proof of this.
This one actually translated surprisingly well.

There doesn't seem to be much else new unfortunately that's not art related.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm watching Caprica right now... and no matter how cool they try to make it look, it just looks like Vancouver.

Dennis

Banned
Marleyman said:
What would get you excited for this? I mean, this title is going to be dark in tone and story - why does it matter if the worlds are as well?
Because grimdark is how most hardcore games look ike these days.

Is it so hard to understand that I would rather have something different for a change?

The visual design of the first game was much better than the second game. Mainly because the design of the second game was mostly the cliched 'dark and edgy' stuff we are overfed with.

EatChildren said:
Salarian homeworld, and they dont mention a Krogan or Quarian moon. They mention a moon of "koriano".

Dont beat around the bush Dennis. You're Ilos/Virmire campaign is a never ending speel of whining that manages to rear it's ugly head in every Mass Effect thread, almost as often as Krogran anus.

You should try waiting until you actually see some footage or shots of any of the environments before you start your bitching.
People who take offense that threads with news on anticipated are not just simple circle-jerks are going to be eternally frustrated.

I will continue post my actual impression the news. Here it is on location, and I find little to excite me. Hopefully the game will have lots more, and more interestingg planets but I can only judge the news that is out.

Acidote

That "koriano" thing... Sounds weird. It could be "Quariano" or Krogan (obviously quarian). I have to see the mag myself.

Peff

EatChildren said:

It would actually translate as "Korian moon"/"moon of Korian", so I'm pretty sure it's just Quarian misspelt, probably because the interviewer wrote it down the way it's said out loud.

Stumpokapow said:
I'm watching Caprica right now... and no matter how cool they try to make it look, it just looks like Vancouver.
You have to understand that to Americans a clean-looking city is impossibly futuristic.

It sounds like they're trying to add in too much which could mean the game will be long but each location will be short and meh. Space battles now? Keep that for another game, I can guarantee it right now they won't be able to add it in an interesting way.

Not thrilled about going to several Earth cities either but we've already discussed the problem of focusing on Earth too much in other threads.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DennisK4 said:

Is it so hard to understand that I would rather have something different for a change?

The visual design of the first game was much better than the second game. Mainly because the design of the second game was mostly the cliched 'dark and edgy' stuff we are overfed with.

And if you had read the news from the Game Informer mag, and seen the screenshots/scans, you'd know that BioWare has already stated they're not going for a 'sylized dark' feel to Mass Effect 3's art, and the environments of Earth at the very least seem far more vibrant than anything in ME3.

You're basically writing off ME3's visuals based entirely on ME2. It's pretty foolish considering how little we've seen of the game, but whatever.

Peff said:
It would actually translate as "Korian moon"/"moon of Korian", so I'm pretty sure it's just Quarian misspelt, probably because the interviewer wrote it down the way it's said out loud.

This I agree with. It's probably a Quarian moon.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I tried googling Koriano and someone on a Spanish forum wrote this:

Algunas localizaciones confirmadas son el planeta de origen de los salarianos, Marte, una luna del mundo koriano (esto parece un error de transcripción, probablemente quiera decir "mundo quariano") y varias ciudades de la Tierra, entre ellas probablemente Londres y Nueva York.
This would definitely point to Quarians.

Kyoufu

Ickman3400 said:
It sounds like they're trying to add in too much which could mean the game will be long but each location will be short and meh. Space battles now? Keep that for another game, I can guarantee it right now they won't be able to add it in an interesting way.

I thought the flight section in the Shadow Broker DLC was done really well. If you want to see how it is going to be done, look at THIS for an idea. I personally welcome it.

In fact, they should make the planet "scanning" actual space flight where you can pick up mineral debris. :3

Acidote

Acidote said:
That "koriano" thing... Sounds weird. It could be "Quariano" or Krogan (obviously quarian). I have to see the mag myself.

I think I've figured this one out.

It's probably a quarian homeworld moon. In the GI info, or previous rumors I can't recall, there was something about tough decisions and one of them was supposed to be something about the geth, the quarians and their homeworld.

If that part ends up being true, I guess it won't be decided on the world itself, but this moon.

Jarmel

Banned
Sir Fragula said:
It was? I might have misread, but I thought it was just one of many similar mid-tier colonies?

From the wiki:

I thought it was mentioned somewhere in the game that Illium was one of the main colonial planets of the Asari's and it seems to be a non-Asari run planet in name only.

Dennis

Banned
EatChildren said:
You're basically writing off ME3's visuals based entirely on ME2. It's pretty foolish considering how little we've seen of the game, but whatever.
I am judging the available information and nothing else.

If and when new information comes along that I am happy about I will be sure to join in the cheering.

And no, I certainly haven't written off ME3 or else I wouldn't bother typing my feelings about any news.

Lakitu

st5fu
EatChildren said:
And if you had read the news from the Game Informer mag, and seen the screenshots/scans, you'd know that BioWare has already stated they're not going for a 'sylized dark' feel to Mass Effect 3's art, and the environments of Earth at the very least seem far more vibrant than anything in ME3.

Pretty much. Everything we've seen seems to hint at a brighter art style and we don't even know that much about the places we're going.

There's some concept art of an interior that reminds me of the Council Tower but much different. Wonder what it could be.

Kyoufu said:
I thought the flight section in the Shadow Broker DLC was done really well. If you want to see how it is going to be done, look at THIS for an idea. I personally welcome it.

In fact, they should make the planet "scanning" actual space flight where you can pick up mineral debris. :3

I didn't like the car chase since it was on rails the whole time. I also can't look at that video since it's not available for my country (US), first time that's happened to me :(

Marleyman

Banned
DennisK4 said:

That is where the story is going though, plus you haven't even seen the game yet, just some details.

DennisK4 said:

The first was about getting to know the game world, in this case, the Milky Way and all of it's inhabitants. The 2nd and 3rd are going to be darker because of the huge, civilization-ending Reapers coming to destroy everything. I don't want to go to a planet with lush plains filled with pink and yellow flowers in the 3rd game; I want to fight the damn Reapers and save the galaxy. Afterwards, or in an MMO, I can see them really going all out with the different races, locations, etc. Bioware has built up a solid database of information on all of the races, their worlds, etc that they should have no problem creating a cool MMO-type game.

Jarmel

Banned
Lakitu said:
Pretty much. Everything we've seen seems to hint at a brighter art style and we don't even know that much about the places we're going.

There's some concept art of an interior that reminds me of the Council Tower but much different. Wonder what it could be.

That's the one I was talking about earlier. I think it might be Arcturus. My initial impressions were that it was the inside of a Reaper due to the color of the lighting as well as the Relay-type statues inside but Arcturus makes more sense.

Peff

Acidote said:
What magazine is it? Marca Player maybe?

Yes.

They mention that Sovereign is leading the fleet, so don't take everything very literally. The Max Payne comparison for instance doesn't actually mean it's similar to it, just that they added jumping (maybe sliding) to cover.

Nirolak said:
While cut off in the Game Informer scans, it seems that the ninja does indeed use a full sized ninja sword and not a somewhat longer shock stick, in case anyone else was also confused by the first scans like I was.

On the one hand, goddammit Bioware why would you put ninjas in your game that makes no sense. On the other hand, they already have plenty of other stupid shit, so why not.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here we go, an entire google translated recap article.

Universo Mass Effect said:
Coincidence or not, the May issue contains a first look at Mass Effect 3 exclusive national was also the fastest to hit newsstands in the history of Marca Player. Today, 19 April, I had no trouble finding the magazine in a relatively small town lost in the southeast Spanish. After a brief stop on the way to work and 1.90 euros less in the pocket, case solved.

To avoid legal problems I have chosen not to reproduce the image story. Yes I can, at least broadly discuss what you can find in the report. The magazine costs less than 2 euros, so I encourage you to buy some and you to take a firsthand look.

Modesty

The most and the least has been able to see scanned the 12 pages published by GameInformer, the first magazine in the world to open fire. It is well known reputation of "cazaexclusivas" this veteran American publication. Almost always the first and the most material received, so it was not expected that a young Spanish head could make shadow.

In total, the story of Mark Player has an area of ​​seven pages, of which the first two are a double page purely introductory, half page with a list of influences and a small one-page interview with producer Casey Hudson (rather soda, by the way). That leaves three and a half pages "useful", although it should be clear that the space is pretty well spent thanks to the good work layout.

As for photos, things are regular. Most of the catches of Mass Effect 3 have already been published by GameInformer. To these are added a few new images, four of them in-game and a pair of conceptual designs. This may disappoint the fans more anxious, but is in line with what was expected.

I assume you've all read the summary of the progress of GameInformer (and if not, here is the link ), so I omit all that has already been told to avoid repeating information. It is well known BioWare secrecy, so we appreciate the good work of writer Mark Player, which has managed to get some new details.

The Galaxy is never big enough

The most interesting part of the story is probably the one devoted to the stage. It is confirmed that the maps will be considerably larger and open. Also transmit more life, more supporting characters and certain dynamic events, which may be interactive or not. A level of detail we can enjoy a more complex architecture and implementation of new lighting effects.

Some locations are confirmed planet of origin salarianos, Mars, moon Koriano world (this seems a transcription error, probably means "world quarians") and several cities on Earth, including London and New York probably. According to the BioWare team has been a challenge to imagine what could be the cities earthlings in the future. The artists have finally chosen to design mega halfway between Seattle and Vancouver.

Something does not change too much of Mass Effect 2 on the third installment: Normandy. Although the ship is now in the hands of the Alliance, which will make some small changes, the overall design will remain, so the units will be very familiar.

Making friends

This time the enemies pose a greater challenge than ever. AI has been greatly improved by introducing a new system of coordinated assault. This means that every enemy will have a specific role within their group, like chess pieces, and will be able to adopt strategies based on their own role. The variety of enemies is much higher, with units of different size and power. Even within the reapers will own ranks, from the main buildings of 2 km in length to a smaller escort reapers of between 500 and 600 meters.

In general it will be a game harder than previous ones, but Shepard also have new advantages. For starters there is a new dynamic damage system that will injure or destroy specific parts of enemies. For example, shielded enemies will be defeated only be hurting their weaknesses. The character will also be much more agile, able to perform new actions such as seeking cover roll, roll or jump over obstacles without prior barricade (about time).

The fighting will be more intense than ever, with a rate between 10% and 15% higher. It has paid particular attention to the combat, which has been expanded and improved to the point of giving way to a new class that will make the most: the "Heavy Melee.

Are in some respects as air vehicles. Instead of reusing the Mako or Firewalker will be new vehicles and a new navigation system that, for now, is a mystery.

Becomes the role

After Mass Effect 2 will focus on improving the mechanical action of the parties, the end of the trilogy will attempt to recover some of the elements rolero that fell by the wayside. Will not play as dense as the first part, but an inventory will be more generous, more types of objects to collect, a skill tree much richer and weapons can be customized mounting accessories such as scopes or canyons, which also have a aesthetic effect.

The dialogue system will remain virtually unchanged, though BioWare "is putting emphasis on increasing the bond between the player and their characters." For its part, the decisions will be more important than ever and have an effect more evident. As the end of the trilogy, BioWare has no pressure to prevent chaos things too, so there will be many and very different end.

On the argument has not been said virtually nothing we do not know. There are no confirmed new names of colleagues or clarified what happens with Cerberus. At least the producer is wet and has promised that the story will be less evident than in Mass Effect 2. The plot will be revealed little by little, instead of showing all his cards right from the start, and vary throughout the adventure as the player's own choices.
Source: http://translate.google.com/transla...s/178-avance-de-mass-effect-3-en-marca-player

Clott

6 months to build and test a location? how many months have they been working on this already? I want to estimate how many locations we can expect in that case. I wish to return to Illium and the Citadel again, I can't get enough of those places.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Clott said:
6 months to build and test a location? how many months have they been working on this already? I want to estimate how many locations we can expect in that case. I wish to return to Illium and the Citadel again, I can't get enough of those places.
Well, you can't really do math like that since the locations are made in parallel.

Kyoufu said:
My Lazarus body is ready.

Melee heavy class, is this going to be completely new or just Vanguard modified?

hopefully it's something like alpha protocol. I ended up stealthing and karate chopping more people than I shot.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wiggum2007 said:
Haha that Cerberus SWAT-looking trooper on one of the last pages looks so out of place, like he accidentally wandered into the photo from a nearby Tom Clancy game article.
I noticed that too. :lol

I thought I had Crysis scans up for a moment.

Top Bottom