• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Mass Effect 3 details [Planet Aesthetics Detailed, Verdict On Space Battles]

Clott

Nirolak said:
Well, you can't really do math like that since the locations are made in parallel.

Right, I hope they learned a lot from developing the first two and we get an unprecedented amount of new places to explore.

Dennis

Banned
The fighting will be more intense than ever, with a rate between 10% and 15% higher. It has paid particular attention to the combat, which has been expanded and improved to the point of giving way to a new class that will make the most: the "Heavy Melee.

After Mass Effect 2 will focus on improving the mechanical action of the parties, the end of the trilogy will attempt to recover some of the elements rolero that fell by the wayside. Will not play as dense as the first part, but an inventory will be more generous, more types of objects to collect, a skill tree much richer and weapons can be customized mounting accessories such as scopes or canyons, which also have a aesthetic effect.
Not crazy about even more combat than ME2

But nice that they are at least expanding inventory and skills. Those were really bare-bones in ME2.

Lakitu

st5fu
DennisK4 said:
Not crazy about even more combat than ME2

It probably means the combat will be more intense and faster, at least I hope that's what it means. ME 2 had more than enough combat to go around.

Dennis

Banned
Lakitu said:
It probably means the combat will be more intense and faster, at least I hope that's what it means. ME 2 had more than enough combat to go around.
I took it to mean the enemy encounter rate will be 15% higher

Kyoufu

I thought ME1 was fine.

Rachni
Plenty of Geth variants
Asari
Krogan
Batarian

and probably more I've missed out.

DennisK4 said:
Because grimdark is how most hardcore games look ike these days.

I haven't seen anything, in ME1, 2 or screens of 3, that is "grimdark", unless you are abusing that phrase to mean anything that is dark in tone or style.

Grimdark is when you have giant Gothic cathedral-ships powered by the souls of orphans flying through hell as a shortcut to their destination, which is a battle against a living god-demon (sorry, daemon) who eats hope. Grimdark is when stuff is so ridiculously over-the-top dark and hardcore that it has become self-parody.

ME2 was just regular old dark. The grimiest places were that Krogan wasteland (which looked like wartorn Africa in the aftermath of an invasion of chest-high walls) and Omega, which was a bit flat and lifeless but nothing too offensive. What, precisely are you unhappy with? Colour palette?

ThoseDeafMutes said:
ME2 was just regular old dark. The grimiest places were that Krogan wasteland (which looked like wartorn Africa in the aftermath of an invasion of chest-high walls) and Omega, which was a bit flat and lifeless but nothing too offensive. What, precisely are you unhappy with? Colour palette?
Those were dirty and grimy. But Illium and the Zakera ward were also dark. Most of the game has dark tones and colors.

Lakitu said:

Yeah I thought of it as more shit happening or just quicker combat but it was probably just my hope that ME3 won't be like Arrival

Kurtofan

Kyoufu said:
I thought ME1 was fine.

Rachni
Plenty of Geth variants
Asari
Krogan
Batarian

and probably more I've missed out.
Batarians were only in the DLC, and there weren't that many Asari, Krogans and Rachni were limited to one mission(and some sidequest)

There weren't plenty of Geth variants.

IoCaster

Gold Member
Lots of focus on weapons and melee so far with the info released. I'm hoping that they don't gimp the biotic classes any further than what was done in ME2. I want my space mages to get equal representation as far as combat ability/utility is concerned.

Kyoufu

Kurtofan said:
Batarians were only in the DLC, and there weren't that many Asari, Krogans and Rachni were limited to one mission(and some sidequest)

There weren't plenty of Geth variants.

5 types man!

Acidote said:
What magazine is it? Marca Player maybe?

:lol if its Marca Player you know they have probably messed the things up during the interview.
What Im talking about, even Hobby Consolas makes shitty mistakes like this, spanish videogame magazines are horrible.

EvaTType01

Neo Member
I dont understand, why it is that every single darn game that comes out needs to have an online multiplayer component.....

i mean mass effect 1 and 2 did great without online multiplayer did it not? so many awards, recommendations and GOTY! unless the multplayer is similar to how uncharted/dead space was handled, IE separate team etc, then i guess it would be ok.....

hearing turrets spawning engineers reminds me of something.....

EvaTType01 said:
I dont understand, why it is that every single darn game that comes out needs to have an online multiplayer component.....

i mean mass effect 1 and 2 did great without online multiplayer did it not? so many awards, recommendations and GOTY! unless the multplayer is similar to how uncharted/dead space was handled, IE separate team etc, then i guess it would be ok.....

Relax, there's no multiplayer at all in 3. That was confirmed by Game Informer, so crisis avoided.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
We should probably make a new thread for the screenshots since I imagine some people are probably interested in seeing them even if they have been on an information black out.

IoCaster

Gold Member
EvaTType01 said:

It seems kind of odd that they're highlighting a bigger, more badass faster, more immediate and responsive combat focus, but then would implement a turret placement power/talent. That's more of a short term tactical or siege type of approach. I guess it's either extremely situational or the turrets themselves are shielded to give them a measure of survivability that would make them useful. Since engineer and vanguard are my two preferred classes, I'm anxious to hear more details about biotics and turrets.

Dennis

Banned
Nirolak said:
We should probably make a new thread for the screenshots since I imagine some people are probably interested in seeing them even if they have been on an information black out.
Yes, please.

If you can't be bothered to make it, you can direct me to the screenshots and I will make the thread.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DennisK4 said:
Yes, please.

If you can't be bothered to make it, you can direct me to the screenshots and I will make the thread.
Well, the reason I just left a note instead of doing it is because they're not up yet and I will be gone for around 2 hours when they will most likely be going up and thus can't split the thread if someone posts them here.

Dennis

Banned
Nirolak said:
Well, the reason I just left a note instead of doing it is because they're not up yet and I will be gone for around 2 hours when they will most likely be going up and thus can't split the thread if someone posts them here.
I will make thread when they go up then, if you or someone else haven't already.

Dany

Banned
Geewunner said:
Anyone else eager to play all three games in one continues playthrough? I sure can't wait!
I already started my renegade male shepard in ME1

The thing is, I have a female paragon who romanced liara in 1 and in 2 and in lair of hte shadow broker but I don't know if I saved the rachni, is their a way too check?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lostconfused said:
I wish. But it would have to be something like this and I don't really see it working in the mass effect universe without some silly justification.
I was thinking more like this:

4c437592.gif

1d097d4d.gif

Nirolak said:

*Explosions of blood*
But...but they said they didn't want to dudebro it up. Well I wish mass effect moved more in the direction of LoGH and be more serious than go in the over the top action game direction. Even if the later is what is likely to happen.

Nirolak said:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/gifs/Space%20Marine/4c437592.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff144/derFeef/gifs/Space%20Marine/1d097d4d.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
I'd be up for that.

*pulls out sword*

SLASHY!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lostconfused said:
But...but they said they didn't want to dudebro it up. Well I wish mass effect moved more in the direction of LoGH and be more serious than go in the over the top action game direction. Even if the later is what is likely to happen.
Oh, I didn't mean the blood, just the mechanic of seamless shooting and melee transitions.

There are a lot of melee enemies in the game, so being able to do more than just whack them with the rifle might be nice.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
EatChildren said:
halolz-dot-com-nope.avauhp.gif

I bet Mars, at the original dig site, is where we find the magical all powerful Reaper stopping deus ex machina.

It allows you to control a hypervelocity star to destroy the Reaper fleet

Nirolak said:
Oh, I didn't mean the blood, just the mechanic of seamless shooting and melee transitions.

There are a lot of melee enemies in the game, so being able to do more than just whack them with the rifle might be nice.
It really depends on the encounter design in Mass Effect 3. Having even one enemy up close was a problem in 2. It was poor design but a single flamethrower enemy could easily stunlock and kill you on insanity and even regular ones could possibly push you out of cover.

While Space Marine is clearly more of an action game so there is a lot more freedom of movement, camera isn't restricted. Melee attacks have wide arcs and probably hit most if not all of the nearby enemies and the animations greatly change the characters position.

For melee to be effective in Mass Effect it would have to be in close quarters and it would have to take out several enemies at once. Whacking enemies in 1 and 2 doesn't even begin to be a basis of a melee combat system, its just something you do to drop a nearby enemies health or to play a cool looking animation.

Maybe I'll think about it some more and come up with something later but for now I think you can't put a good or even workable melee combat system into mass effect without some major changes.

Edit: Human shields. They would have to put some kind of a human shield mechanic like gears or CQC in MGS. Not original but it solves the problem having to boost players survivability outside of cover without overpowering that survivability outside of melee combat.

Well, they could always use the camera mode when you have weapons put away. It pulls back enough that I think it would be possible to do some melee combat (at least, within similar locations as 2's level designs).
Though, I agree. The enemies and level layout really doesn't lend itself to fighting in the open. At least, not if we stick to what ME2 used.

Please don't retcon the game again to put in melee fighting, though. Not another thermal clips... not again...

Subitai said:
I thought it was an Ork? Are there ogre greenskins?
Wait nvm.

Edit: There are trolls in Warhammer, I was thinking of those. There are Ogryn in 40k but they are really big and ugly humans so that might not qualify them for that.

Gvaz

Banned
Salz01 said:
-Scenarios: larger. We will see people walking.....

I dont know why this made me laugh. I guess NPC's just stood around? Now they will walk around the battlefield or ship interiors? Epic....
That's pretty typical of ALL bioware games though

CrazyDude

I wonder if the magazine is mistaken in that we go to cities like New York and London. The Game Informer Magazine quoted Hudson saying that in the opening they are just showing what is happening in these major cities first and then Shepard looks out the window and it arrives. He is pretty much implying we won't actually be in these cities.

Top Bottom