• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon Details Revealed!

Forkball

The empty lots from SM are still empty outside of two exceptions (the one in the trailer and another one) lol

Gotta wait for Pokemon Stars to hit the Switch so we can get the real REAL ending to the Sun and Moon saga.

Not a lot of info, but this certainly kicks off the update cycle that Sun/Moon had last year. A lot of people complained about the lack of info (including myself), but they didn't start doing big website updates and trailers until about August of last year. Granted they showed off a lot of the game with the initial trailer and E3 showing, but we already know much about the core game already. With this update, I hope it means we get a consistent flow of info and news. I thought the way they handled Sun/Moon info was fantastic last year. They managed to build up hype by announcing a date in advance, released a trailer outlining a lot of new features, and managed to tease some future surprises.

MomoQca

Sadly, this doesn't grab me as much as the previous generations. Pokemon started going downhill since the start of the sixth generation. :(

Aleh

Noooooo am I the only one hyped by this trailer?
The new map looks fantastic, and I can spot new places. The new building in Hau'oli is also present in Konikoni, there's a a new beach arean in Heahea behind next to the hotel, a new building on the right part of the Battle Royale, new buildings in the small beach in the bottom right corner of Ula'ula, and yet another new building in the empty spot of Malie. Then there's that forest-like area in the trailer.

The possibility of Pokémon following you again is huge if true (not the first time they just hint at a feature and fully reveal it in another trailer), and now that the switch to 3D is complete they won't have to remove it ever again which is just awesome.

The story stuff just always hypes me I can't help it. I can't wait to see what's up with Necrozma and the huge black clouds/portal in the sky which is very reminiscent of the Distortion world portal they put onto Sinnoh's map for Platinum.
That mysterious light with eyes in the box art is trippyyyy. Arceus? Necrozma? Bidoof?

New Z-Moves and new bracelet.

The added graphical details in the overworld are well done too, see Exeggutor island or even just the grass having more detail here and there.

It's also fairly safe to assume they expanded trainer customization with more clothes and hairstyles, which is welcome.

yuoke

Banned
When has this ever been confirmed?

To me, this looks like a 'few years later' story ala BW2.
How does it look like that at all? Same protagonists, they are in the same house. Same cutscene getting starters.

Plus masuda said it's an alternate universe to sun and moon. They arent sequels.

Caelus

Will they ever give us the choice of an adult avatar? :/

Not for the mainline, it doesn't mesh with the coming of age story and the assumed naivety of the player character.

I'd love if they did, but I can see why they won't. As long as customization is good I'm fine with it.

Eumi

So have they confirmed what this is yet or not? Like, actually stated "this is a sequel" or "this is the same game with extra content".

Aleh

So have they confirmed what this is yet or not? Like, actually stated "this is a sequel" or "this is the same game with extra content".

This can't really be a sequel if the playable characters are the same as Sun and Moon.
Also they called it "alternate story" so far which suggests it's a third version kind of deal but split in two.

Eumi

This can't really be a sequel if the playable characters are the same as Sun and Moon.
Also they called it "alternate story" so far which suggests it's a third version kind of deal but split in two.
Alternate story can literally mean anything from the same game with some new plot beats to a completely different plot with reused assets.

I seriously have no idea why on earth Nintendo are being so vague about this.

Atheerios

It seems like a story sequel that takes place in the same area, but remixed a bit. If that is indeed the case I will definitely pass.

Alternate story can literally mean anything from the same game with some new plot beats to a completely different plot with reused assets.

From the official website:

Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon have been powered up with new additions to the story and features of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon! These titles are coming to the Nintendo 3DS family of systems on November 17, 2017.

It's not a sequel. It's just an enhanced version based on the same story.

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/ultra/en-us/alola-region.html

From the official website:

Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon have been powered up with new additions to the story and features of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon! These titles are coming to the Nintendo 3DS family of systems on November 17, 2017.

It's not a sequel. It's just an enhanced version based on the same story.

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/ultra/en-us/alola-region.html

Might be jumping to a conclusion there.

barber

This can't be worse than Platinum, this can't be worse than Platinum.

What's worse is that XY doesn't get the polishing that USUM gives SM.

It looks like the same protagonists so I doubt this is like BW2 anymore.

But Platinum was the best thing ever? Like after playing it, you realize how much Diamond and Pearl sucked.

otakukidd

It really is pissing me off if I should buy sun or moon before ultra. If it's a different story but same people I wouldn't mind playing both. But if it's a upgrade with very little changes I will know to wait.

tauroxd

Might be jumping to a conclusion there.

Expecting more that that it just wanting to be very disappointed. It's clear that it is a retelling, what it is left to know is how big of a retelling it is, but this doesn't seem to be a sequel or prequel.

Dad

So comparing the new map with the old, I'm seeing a new beach and building on Melemele, two new buildings and a new beach on Akala, two new buildings on Ula'ula, and Poni looks identical beyond the evil rift thing.

I might have missed something, but I wouldn't expect these versions to be significantly different from Sun and Moon.

Aleh

"Sun and Moon sucked! They were thin on content and had a bunch of problems, I wish they went back to Platinum and Black and White 2 quality!"

GameFreak gives Sun and Moon the third version treatment

"Ultra Sun and Moon are a shallow cash grab! This should be a DLC, GameFreak is out of ideas!"

smh

Kyzer

Banned
This better be B2W2 level of content otherwise the whole family of 3DS games will have taken a big dip in content

Gin-Shiio

"Sun and Moon sucked! They were thin on content and had a bunch of problems, I wish they went back to Platinum and Black and White 2 quality!"

"Ultra Sun and Moon are a shallow cash grab! This should be a DLC, GameFreak is out of ideas!"

smh

Dude, they have failed to show off anything substantial so far. How do you expect people to get excited? We know next to nothing.

MegaMelon

smh

Hardly a fair summarisation of the situation but then again if you're simply going to state 2 extremes then it should be expected.

With past 3rd versions they at least added a significant battle facility like the frontier or world tournament, but GFs made it clear they don't see the point in making those anymore.

The storyline being mostly the same has ALWAYS been critisized and B2W2 was praised precisely because it was a completely different story which USUM will not be.

Toxi

Banned

smh
I thought Sun and Moon were great, and I loved Platinum and Black 2.

Nothing Gamefreak has shown for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon has excited me at all.

Aleh

Hardly a fair summarisation of the situation but then again if you're simply going to state 2 extremes then it should be expected.

Dude, they have failed to show off anything substantial so far. How do you expect people to get excited? We know next to nothing.

I thought Sun and Moon were great, and I loved Platinum and Black 2.

Nothing Gamefreak has shown for Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon has excited me at all.

This is literally. The first. Real trailer/news.

smh

When the major selling points so far are:

Lunala and Solgaleo with armor
A Cheeto-stained Midday Lycanroc
More hats
New Z-Moves

...pardon me if I'm not chomping at the bit to throw $40 on this.

night814

Will this one run at 20fps still lol

This should be the biggest concern, if the framerate in battles slogs as bad as SM this game shouldn't even be released

Will they ever give us the choice of an adult avatar? :/

This would be a great idea for a console coloseum style game, where someone gets into pkmn later in life. This could be successful given Go's exposure to older people who never liked pkmn before until it was a mobile game.

This game looks akin to Crystal more than say Platinum or BW2, in that there will be minor story adjustments to make it about the legendary they are trying to push but it will mostly be the same game. If performance isn't increased at all I don't see why anyone would want this.

brinstar

Does anyone know how the marketing timeline for this lines up with Emerald/Platinum/BW2? That could give us an idea of what to expect

smh

Nobody can speak for USM's content since GF has refused to talk about it for two and a half months. Even today's trailer was just some brief area pans and some box artwork.

MegaMelon

Shouldn't that be telling you something then if 3 months to release this is all the real news we've gotten? It won't have a new story, won't have a big battle facility, so far we've gotten 3 new formes thst have been extremely derivative to say the least.

I mean I'm still going to buy it but I don't see why you have such a problem with people expecting some more effort from GF. I had hoped that GFs progress with gens 4 and 5 would continue but then starting with XY they've slowed down, picked up a little with SM then went even slower with USUM

Aleh

When the major selling points so far are:

Lunala and Solgaleo with armor
A Cheeto-stained Midday Lycanroc
More hats
New Z-Moves

...pardon me if I'm not chomping at the bit to throw $40 on this.

You're expecting them to show everything off in the first trailer?

For reference, this is Platinum's updated map of the region:

14c8e149af977755a3267e4e06c5eaae.jpg

You can only spot 3 restyled (not even new, just restyled) buildings, and you can't even see the Battle Frontier or anything else in the big post game area which got a major makeover in the game.

I'm just saying people look like they've never seen how pre-release news for Pokémon games work...

Toxi

Banned
Oh of course, all that news before like the new legendary and Lycanroc forms wasn't "real news".

So what's super exciting about this trailer now that we finally have "real news"?

Oh sorry, I guess the "real news" still hasn't actually started yet.

tauroxd

You can only spot 3 restyled (not even new, just restyled) buildings, and you can't even see the Battle Frontier or anything else in the big post game area which got a major makeover in the game.

I'm just saying people look like they've never seen how pre-release news for Pokémon games work...

But also expecting major changes and addition it is not healthy, the best way to go is to temper expectations by a lot, it is better to be surprised than to be disappointed.

MegaMelon

Funny cause 3 months before the Japanese release (June 2008 corocoro) we had the confirmation of a brand new Battle Frontier for Platinum which is...far more significant than anything we've seen so far.

Top Bottom