• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon Details Revealed!

ZVngWTb.png

I find it kinda of funny that the director/staff is using the first 3DS version and not one of the superior/better ones.

maybe it's a sign that it'll actually run well on the original 3DS models?

lol

Literally the most interesting thing about this trailer is that place that looks like Surge's gym.
At this point, I don't get why they aren't showing anything more significant, and it makes me wonder if that's because there's so little to show.

Yo Kommo-o might be cool with this new z-move now, especially since his stats are so balanced yet extremely powerful, he can be very dangerous once he activated the z-move

SuperOrez

I don't even care if it's mostly the same game as sun and moon. I'm hoping for move tutors to expand on the competitive side of things.

spad3

3ZwR4jc.jpg

New legendary? ��

New Z-Moves!

In Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, the main character wears a Z-Ring in order to use Z-Moves. In Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon, the main character will put on a Z-Power Ring, which can use even more varieties of Z-Moves than the Z-Ring! And the games also feature new Z-Moves for certain Pokémon!

Ominous dark clouds are spreading in the sky above the Alola region, the setting of Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon. New buildings and landscapes appear that were not previously seen in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.

Necrozma's New Tale

In Pokémon Ultra Sun and Pokémon Ultra Moon, a story unfolds on a grand scale, with the Legendary Pokémon Solgaleo, Lunala, and Necrozma at its center. Secrets about Necrozma and the Alola region—undisclosed in the previous games—will come to light.

I love how diff people put different pieces on the board but let's now put put 2 and 2 together:

pokemon-ultra-sun-and-moon-ds1-670x376-constrain.jpg

What we see here is Solgaleo and Lunala with aspects of Necrozma all over them.

Now we see this mysterious light with eyes in the above image...

My assumption is that light with eyes is Necrozma's new form when it sheds its prism armor. The armor connects with Solgaleo/Lunala to give them new forms, but the remainder from within the shell emerges as a being of just light.

Necrozma's Moon Entry:

Necrozma
Prism Pokemon
"Light is apparently the source of its energy. It has an extraordinarily vicious disposition and is constantly firing off laser beams"

Calling it now, Necrozma Light Form incoming.

Also, new forms for existing Pokemon [especially legendaries] during the same generation isn't a new thing. Giratina, Shaymin, Kyurem all got additional forms in the same generation they were introduced...all notably not in the original games they were introduced in...

Btw, It's shape is literally a star. There's your Pokemon Stars everyone.

Oswen

I wonder if we'll actually get new pokémon in the form of Alola forms or even megas.

It may be early still but I'm starting to have doubts, even a single Alola form would be a good tease in the way of "Hey don't worry, there are more of these!".

And no, dusk Lycanroc doesn't really count, I see it more like a cross between Ash-Greninja and Rotom forms because of how it is obtained.

MicH

God, I hope they have a lot more stuff to reveal because everything they've shown so far is super dull. Probably the least excited I've been for a mainline game ever.

Absolute missed opportunity to not make it a sequel a La BW2. Could have been really interesting. Instead we get another boring third version with seemingly minor changes.

Magnus

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I'm not feeling the need to get this 'third' version like I ever did any of the others, from Crystal up to B/W 2. What's the real incentive this time? It can't be 8 more gyms/trials, a couple of new form/es and that's it. Isn't there always more to the 3rd versions than that? New zones, new Pokemon, new modes/post-game events, etc?

Until I know what kind of game this is in relation to sun and moon, I'm not buying any of these titles.

Though I still need to finish x and y.

ZVngWTb.png

I find it kinda of funny that the director/staff is using the first 3DS version and not one of the superior/better ones.
It makes sense to develop and test software on your lowest common denominator hardware.

You guys are finally getting some more info after complaining so much about it in the Lycanroc thread and you're STILL complaining.

Wow.

There new news that Game Freak releases and then there's new news that Poké Gaf expects. Poké Gaf wants a massive info dump while also wanting Game Freak to hold back to also surprise them during their play through.

As for me

Game Freak show me everything except the story. I don't care how mundane or predictable it is I like to experience a new story on my own. Show me all the new Alolan forms and (hopefully) new Mega evolutions! Why? Because I like going into a new game knowing there will be more options for me and my team. Show me the new features and a sizzle wheel possible new characters with updated visuals of returning characters.

I also won't lie to myself. If Game Freak doesn't have much new content for the Ultra games... I'm still buying for move tutors and hopefully a better handle on online 6v6 battles.

13ruce

Banned
I love how diff people put different pieces on the board but let's now put put 2 and 2 together:

pokemon-ultra-sun-and-moon-ds1-670x376-constrain.jpg

What we see here is Solgaleo and Lunala with aspects of Necrozma all over them.

Now we see this mysterious light with eyes in the above image...

My assumption is that light with eyes is Necrozma's new form when it sheds its prism armor. The armor connects with Solgaleo/Lunala to give them new forms, but the remainder from within the shell emerges as a being of just light.

Necrozma's Moon Entry:

Necrozma
Prism Pokemon
"Light is apparently the source of its energy. It has an extraordinarily vicious disposition and is constantly firing off laser beams"

Calling it now, Necrozma Light Form incoming.

Also, new forms for existing Pokemon [especially legendaries] during the same generation isn't a new thing. Giratina, Shaymin, Kyurem all got additional forms in the same generation they were introduced...all notably not in the original games they were introduced in...

Btw, It's shape is literally a star. There's your Pokemon Stars everyone.

This makes so much sense. It's probably true.

PK Gaming

The speed stat issue is mitigated quite a bit by the fact that Clamorous Soulblaze increases every stat including speed

I could see this move making it MUCH more useful in singles, where boosting moves are quite viable. But it still won't help all that much in the VGC, where taking down boosting Pokémon (Dragon-types no less) is far easier.

Idk

Still have to finish Sun/Moon (I always seem to get bored with it halfway through), yet these new trailers still get me hyped.

My biggest hope is that there will be more pokémon to catch. It doesn't have to be on XY levels, but something akin to B2W2 would be nice.

I like the new protagonist designs. Hopefully they add more clothes to the game as well. I want to be able to wear a classy suit, dammit.

I could see this move making it MUCH more useful in singles, where boosting moves are quite viable. But it still won't help all that much in the VGC, where taking down boosting Pokémon (Dragon-types no less) is far easier.

Idk

Except the move is both boosting and damaging (to both opponents no less), so it's not quite the same.

I mean, Kommo-o isn't great in VGC-17, but it does still have a small niche even now

PK Gaming

Except the move is both boosting and damaging (to both opponents no less), so it's not quite the same.

I mean, Kommo-o isn't great in VGC-17, but it does still have a small niche even now

I know, I know. There's no move quite like it. I guess the main thing is seeing how strong it's coverage moves (Flash Cannon) will be against Fairies.

Looks like the prerelease info lead-up to the game is finally starting. I'm not really seeing much so far that shows US/UM being more expansive than a third version like Emerald or Platinum, though. The Alola map doesn't seem to show a ton of major changes and I'm not sure if the scene with Rockruff following the trainer indicated that every Pokemon will follow the trainer since it could be tied to the event Rockruff. I'm curious about the room that looks like Vermilion City gym, but we don't know the context for it yet. I'm hoping there's substantially more to these games that we haven't seen yet, but I'm staying on the cautious side for now just in case.

Game Informer did mention that at least half of Game Freak's staff seems to be busy with US/UM at the moment.

It's also nice to know who the director of US/UM is. His prior credits can be found here: http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,410193/

Since Ohmori isn't directing US/UM, it seems safe to assume that he's directing Pokemon Switch.

brinstar

I'm in the same boat as everyone else. I'm not feeling the need to get this 'third' version like I ever did any of the others, from Crystal up to B/W 2. What's the real incentive this time? It can't be 8 more gyms/trials, a couple of new form/es and that's it. Isn't there always more to the 3rd versions than that? New zones, new Pokemon, new modes/post-game events, etc?
There's never been completely new Pokemon introduced within the same gen. So far what we've seen is in line with previous third versions.

I know, I know. There's no move quite like it. I guess the main thing is seeing how strong it's coverage moves (Flash Cannon) will be against Fairies.

I checked. The main fairy type threats I'd expect to deal with are the tapus, and you wouldn't OHKO any of them with a +1 Flash cannon(except maybe Bulu depending on how it's built, but Bulu doesn't typically carry fairy type moves so it's not a major threat regardless). You could still do a very significant amount (over 50%) of damage to all but Fini, which could be enough to take them out with another pokemon as support to get damage on them beforehand

spad3

3rd/Sequel versions usually have New Zones/Areas, new forms, new items, new post-game content, new NPCs, new story

But as far as history goes, never new Pokemon. New forms for existing Pokemon that are unobtainable in the previous games but never new Pokemon.

Boogiepop

Man, starting to think the ORAS set my expectations too high for mid-gen games and new forms. Thought for sure after that we could expect a similar number of new Megas (or Regional Variants) from then on for games like this, but starting to get worried we're back to the way things used to be, looking at what they've shown off so far.

We thought the same about the ORAS Hoenn map and they just turned out to be random clouds.

It's been a while since I saw that one so you could be right. I'm not going to assume there's anything hidden there yet, but I might keep the possibility in mind going forward.

Who's directing? At work and can't watch video

Is it just me, or does it seem like the large Southeast cloud could be covering a new island?
I thought the clouds on the ORAS map was hiding the Battle Frontier.
Heh..
I hope there is, considering they're teased in SM.

But you know what I'll give GF the benefit of the doubt on these games despite the infomation deficit. They haven't done a bad version of the third game yet.
Still hyped for the game but I'm keeping my expectations in check this time around. Hoping they end the 3DS era with a bang but if not oh well, time to move on to the Switch era.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the large Southeast cloud could be covering a new island?

Looking at this map makes me realize once more how awfully small Alola really is. It's one of the things that bothered me about Sun/Moon, and XY somewhat as well. I guess it's due to the 3D engine, but the routes are short and even the big towns have a few houses at best. I don't know if the 2D games had bigger maps, but at least they felt big due to the character sprites being small, as well as the illusion of somewhat big cities like Castellia and Goldenrod.

Crayolan

Same protagonists with an updated look is enough evidence for me that this is a 3rd version like Emerald/Platinum rather than a BW2 situation. If following pokemon really is back that's amazing but I feel like they would've made a bigger deal of it.

Kommo-o's new Z move looks OP as fuck.

spad3

Looking at this map makes me realize once more how awfully small Alola really is. It's one of the things that bothered me about Sun/Moon, and XY somewhat as well. I guess it's due to the 3D engine, but the routes are short and even the big towns have a few houses at best. I don't know if the 2D games had bigger maps, but at least they felt big due to the character sprites being small, as well as the illusion of somewhat big cities like Castellia and Goldenrod.

Goldenrod felt huge because of the crazy amount of buildings, but in reality the pathways were fairly short.

Castellia felt huge because of the illusion of the buildings

Lumiose City was ACTUALLY huge.

Hau-oli City is bigger than Castellia and Goldenrod in terms of space.

I beat Sun and was kind of...meh afterwords. Good game but there was very little to actually have me stay past the end. This has given me ZERO reason to want to pick up this copy. It so far feels like a straight up cash grab, hopefully much more is added.

Kurita

This can't be worse than Platinum, this can't be worse than Platinum.

What's worse is that XY doesn't get the polishing that USUM gives SM.

It looks like the same protagonists so I doubt this is like BW2 anymore.
But Platinum is the best Pokémon game

As for these games, I don't know. Not really excited. I think I kinda hit franchise fatigue once the series became 3D. They don't feel as fun to play for me. I enjoyed SM (XY was heeeh) but haven't touched the postgame.
Will wait for more info about these I guess. Pokémon Switch better deliver.

Maxinas

I beat Sun and was kind of...meh afterwords. Good game but there was very little to actually have me stay past the end. This has given me ZERO reason to want to pick up this copy. It so far feels like a straight up cash grab, hopefully much more is added.

If it follows Emerald, Platinum, B2/W2, it should get a significant amount of new content to justify the purchase. However, its 1 month away from being 5 years since we last had a proper "third version/sequel" of pokemon games in a new generation (The Kalos region was pretty much shafted and left to be forgotten). So, i'm also cautious, and this isn't a day one buy for me yet.

Top Bottom