• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Praise: Next Consoles Are Delivering High FrameRate In Spades

Tqaulity

So I know it's the internet and I know most of you aren't happy unless you're arguing and pointing out all the negatives about games, hardware etc. Hell the last time I tried to do a "positive" post it literally had crickets in less than a day. But any fanbody debates and bickering threads can have threads with multiple pages in a few hours :messenger_face_steam:

Nevertheless, it's such a great time to be a gamer and these next gen consoles in particular are delivering in such spades that it deserves heaps of praise. In particular:

60fps is (Almost) The New Standard
Ok let me remind everyone of where we are at today. After 7 years of the PS4 and Xbox One with those horribly weak Jaguar CPUs and seeing title after title struggle to hit their 60fps targets even on the "enhanced" consoles, we are seeing quite the turnaround right at launch on the new Gen. Consider this: there are currently a total of ~45 native PS5 games available today. ALL BUT 1 OF THEM HAVE 60 fps support!! Again, literally 98% of all PS5 games released to date have 60fps support. (The 1 game that doesn't: Watch Dogs Legion) This is as close to "standard" as well will get folks. Of course, as the generation moves on and developers really start to push these machines, we will see more 30fps games for sure. But it will still be a far cry from the % of 30fps games we saw last gen.

In addition, not only are we seeing games "target" 60fps, but they are hitting that target with a near locked framerate in the vast majority of cases. We aren't seeing games with framerates all over the place jumping between 30-60. Even something like the unprecedented Assassin's Creed Valhalla at 60fps or Spider Man now running at 60fps with Ray-Tracing enabled on PS5 is showing very little frame drops from the 60fps target. Simply amazing stuff and great times ahead!

*Note: I highlighted the PS5 only because that's what I actually own at the moment but everything applies to the Series X as well

120fps Not As Rare As You Thought
To date, there are ~9 PS5 games and ~22 Xbox Series X games that support 120fps at launch! (source). That is way more than most were expecting and again it is simply amazing to see these consoles delivering on so much of their potential right away!

See all your talk about how important framerate is to the experience is playing off! We really need to take some time and appreciate what Sony and Microsoft has done here. Anybody old enough to remember the PS4/XB1 launch (Recall the struggles of Killzone SF, Knack, Battlefield 4, and Call of Duty Ghosts) or the PS3/Xbox360 (Oblivion, Call of Duty 2/3, GRAW, Genji, Madden, Marvel Ultimate Alliance) launches will understand and appreciate what an accomplishment this is. And we still have the excellent BC support with games like Days Gone and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice made new again with technical improvements and 60fps support.

Meanwhile, high end PC gamers are getting their systems push to the limit with one of the most beautiful games ever made in Cyberpunk 2077. Great time to be a gamer all around!!! Stop arguing and complaining and enjoy it people :messenger_winking:

OrtizTwelve

So I know it's the internet and I know most of you aren't happy unless you're arguing and pointing out all the negatives about games, hardware etc. Hell the last time I tried to do a "positive" post it literally had crickets in less than a day. But any fanbody debates and bickering threads can have threads with multiple pages in a few hours :messenger_face_steam:

Nevertheless, it's such a great time to be a gamer and these next gen consoles in particular are delivering in such spades that it deserves heaps of praise. In particular:

60fps is (Almost) The New Standard
Ok let me remind everyone of where we are at today. After 7 years of the PS4 and Xbox One with those horribly weak Jaguar CPUs and seeing title after title struggle to hit their 60fps targets even on the "enhanced" consoles, we are seeing quite the turnaround right at launch on the new Gen. Consider this: there are currently a total of ~45 native PS5 games available today. ALL BUT 1 OF THEM HAVE 60 fps support!! Again, literally 98% of all PS5 games released to date have 60fps support. (The 1 game that doesn't: Watch Dogs Legion) This is as close to "standard" as well will get folks. Of course, as the generation moves on and developers really start to push these machines, we will see more 30fps games for sure. But it will still be a far cry from the % of 30fps games we saw last gen.

In addition, not only are we seeing games "target" 60fps, but they are hitting that target with a near locked framerate in the vast majority of cases. We aren't seeing games with framerates all over the place jumping between 30-60. Even something like the unprecedented Assassin's Creed Valhalla at 60fps or Spider Man now running at 60fps with Ray-Tracing enabled on PS5 is showing very little frame drops from the 60fps target. Simply amazing stuff and great times ahead!

*Note: I highlighted the PS5 only because that's what I actually own at the moment but everything applies to the Series X as well

120fps Not As Rare As You Thought
To date, there are ~9 PS5 games and ~22 Xbox Series X games that support 120fps at launch! (source). That is way more than most were expecting and again it is simply amazing to see these consoles delivering on so much of their potential right away!

See all your talk about how important framerate is to the experience is playing off! We really need to take some time and appreciate what Sony and Microsoft has done here. Anybody old enough to remember the PS4/XB1 launch (Recall the struggles of Killzone SF, Knack, Battlefield 4, and Call of Duty Ghosts) or the PS3/Xbox360 (Oblivion, Call of Duty 2/3, GRAW, Genji, Madden, Marvel Ultimate Alliance) launches will understand and appreciate what an accomplishment this is. And we still have the excellent BC support with games like Days Gone and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice made new again with technical improvements and 60fps support.

Meanwhile, high end PC gamers are getting their systems push to the limit with one of the most beautiful games ever made in Cyberpunk 2077. Great time to be a gamer all around!!! Stop arguing and complaining and enjoy it people :messenger_winking:

Hopefully 60 fps is the bare minimum standard this generation. Games are just so much more enjoyable.

Ballthyrm

So Far™

YOu are missing the Forest for the trees.
Games are running 60 FPS because dev haven't been accustomed to the technology yet so they are dumping the performance into extra frames.
Wait until they invent a new rendering method that take advantage of the SDD and we'll be back to 1080p 30FPS

I guarantee it.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
For now. These are mostly cross-gen games that don't come close to fully utilizing the power that's there, so getting them to 60 is easy. Once games start really taking advantage of what the CPU can do in particular (that doesn't scale with resolution like GPU does) we're gonna start seeing a lot more 30fps games again.

This didn't happen the same way during the previous generation switch because the PS4 and XBO had CPUs that were barely more powerful than the previous generation. It was really just a GPU and memory leap that time.

Tqaulity

For now. These are mostly cross-gen games that don't come close to fully utilizing the power that's there, so getting them to 60 is easy. Once games start really taking advantage of what the CPU can do in particular (that doesn't scale with resolution like GPU does) we're gonna start seeing a lot more 30fps games again.

This didn't happen the same way during the previous generation switch because the PS4 and XBO had CPUs that were barely more powerful than the previous generation. It was really just a GPU and memory leap that time.
Yes, I did point out that we'll see more 30fps games in the future once developers start pushing the hardware. I will point out that:
A.) All of Sony and Microsoft 1st party titles at launch have 60fps (PS5 games like Astro, Demon's Souls, and Godfall are not cross gen)
B.) Looking at past generations you still saw many games struggling with performance and having to make technical concessions at launch. If what you are saying is that this is the best it will be since the loads are easiest at launch, then it is still way beyond what we've seen in the past across 1st and 3rd party.

High framerates is what pushed me to PC. If this keeps up with consoles ill considering getting a PS5.

WakeTheWolf

I'm thinking of getting a ps5 even at scalper price because the price of upgrading my pc will be twice as much

Last edited:

Boss Mog

I'm thinking of getting a ps5 even at scalper price because the price of upgrading my pc will be twice as much
Honestly just wait to buy it when it's back in stock at a store or online. And honestly signup for the notification from Amazon, that's actually how I snagged my preorder.

MiguelItUp

Always a big fan of giving the user the option to choose.

But for me, man, 60+fps is always best.

I'm fortunate to have received a PS5, here's to hoping people interested have no problem getting one sooner than later.

Jtibh

Banned
The new consoles are on paar with higher spec pc's of today. Not high end but its way above midd range pc's and thats excluding the customizations done to the gpu and cpu.

Makes you really wonder if we got ripped off with ps4 and xboxone given they cost the same at launch.

Fbh

While this is great, it's also true that almost every game on these new consoles is cross gen.
As the gen moves on and we get more and more abitious games actually made from the ground up for these machines I think we'll start seeing plenty of 30fps games again.

Something like AC Valhalla is already pushing the Ps5 to 1440p and the Series X even lower.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The options are great, that's really what I love about PC. Options fine tuned to the specific console are all I'd ever want from graphics.

A console that required all games to support mouse and keyboard is my real dream lol

ACESHIGH

Banned
The PlayStation is all about graphics. Proper next gen games will run at dynamic 1440p 30 FPS at most

Xbox may have higher framerates as a priority for some multiplayer games. But other than that it will always be about graphics and setpieces at the expense of playability.

The second next gen game cyberpunk 2077 is already maxing consoles running the game at low presets without RT. I have no doubt it will be optimized. but don't expect miracles.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yeah but I haven't seen anything that's Wowed me..so....

Tqaulity

The PlayStation is all about graphics. Proper next gen games will run at dynamic 1440p 30 FPS at most
Except EVERY 1st PS5 game that is either out or coming out in the near future will also have 60fps support. Demon's Souls, Sackboy, Astro, Spider Man, Returnal, Gran Turismo 7, Destruction All Stars, and Rachet & Clank are all confirmed to have 60fps support.

Now once we get out to later next year with Horizon FW and God of War....we'll see. But I wouldn't be surprised to a fidelity and performance options on those as well.

The difference is majority of the 22 games on series x is through bc which i would love sony to change its stance on bc for 60fps or 120fps.

It's not a stance. It's just the way BC is done that usually allows better BC performance on Series X.

Surprisingly, actual next-gen games tend to run a bit better on PS5.

VFXVeteran

Banned
While this is great, it's also true that almost every game on these new consoles is cross gen.
As the gen moves on and we get more and more abitious games actually made from the ground up for these machines I think we'll start seeing plenty of 30fps games again.

Something like AC Valhalla is already pushing the Ps5 to 1440p and the Series X even lower.

I think they'll try to keep the 60FPS narrative, but the games will lose some luster visually.

Longcat

I honestly hope it lasts. You console peeps deserve it after having to deal with the shitty Jaguar for so long.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The difference is majority of the 22 games on series x is through bc which i would love sony to change its stance on bc for 60fps or 120fps.
This is the thing though, PS5 is supposed to have 3 profiles, PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5 Boost
everything do far has been limited to what it ran like on the PS4/Pro consoles.
Wheres the fucking Boost because I'm not seeing it.
The games hitting 60fps locked are PS4 Pro profiled games.
Where's the "doing things far beyond what we seen with BC in the past" stuff

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I agree with some posters. I wouldn’t claim victory yet. It won’t be long before another dev trades a better player experience for graphics that only look great on marketing shots.

Console will never beat PC but this gen is looking good I'm sure they do everything they can to maximize performance at that price point, so you're usually getting quite a good rig for the time, plus it comes with more integrated software. I think the biggest draw has been console exclusives but those are rarer and rarer.

Hunnybun

It's weird, I could almost swear that it annoys some people that 60fps is becoming standard on consoles.

It's like they're so wrapped up in being right about the (valid) observation that a high frame rate is always a trade off with fidelity and therefore (invalid conclusion) developers will ALWAYS choose fidelity because (unexamined assumption) that's what gamers want, that they refuse to look at the evidence.

There's never been this level of support for 60fps games. At least, not in the 3d era. This alone is good evidence for the change being a lasting one, because more and more gamers are now being educated about the significance of 60fps vs 30fps, and the difference is so vast that the average gamer is always likely to choose frame rate SO LONG AS THEY UNDERSTAND WHAT THAT ENTAILS.

Hunnybun

I agree with some posters. I wouldn’t claim victory yet. It won’t be long before another dev trades a better player experience for graphics that only look great on marketing shots.

Marketing shots? It's nearly 2021. It's all video and YouTube now.

What things look like in motion is VASTLY more important for marketing these days.

Fbh

I think they'll try to keep the 60FPS narrative, but the games will lose some luster visually.

To be fair, scaling in a lot of modern games and engines is often quite good. The requirements to run something with mid settings at 1080p are drastically different than ultra at 4K with ray tracing.

So I wouldn't be surprised if a 60fps mode does become sort of common. But I think as time moves on, the tradeoff for 60fps might become bigger.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Marketing shots? It's nearly 2021. It's all video and YouTube now.

What things look like in motion is VASTLY more important for marketing these days.
You are right, but even things in video can look better than the actual gameplay experience.

Shmunter

This is the thing though, PS5 is supposed to have 3 profiles, PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5 Boost
everything do far has been limited to what it ran like on the PS4/Pro consoles.
Wheres the fucking Boost because I'm not seeing it.
The games hitting 60fps locked are PS4 Pro profiled games.
Where's the "doing things far beyond what we seen with BC in the past" stuff
Check out Days Gone and Ghosts of Tsushima

Top Bottom