• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More PS3 box arts

Forsete

Well at least they look better than the blue mock-up boxes. I was expecting black boxes though, but white/transparent is good enough. Just glad they didnt go with the blue.

kenta

Has no PEINS
reminder said:
tgs156mg5.jpg
This is the only shot that shows the spine and I think I see the PS3 logo on the bottom there...

PS3 case spines getting GameCubed?

kenta said:
This is the only shot that shows the spine and I think I see the PS3 logo on the bottom there...

PS3 case spines getting GameCubed?

Sony copies anything and everything Nintendo does!

ANyone have a better shot of the top of the box?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
oh oh, the "ps3" is on the bottom of the spine? =(

i guess it'll be easier to pick out a ps3 game from the ps2 collection then

(i think they're gonna alternate back and forth between each generation or something)

wasting

Banned
davepoobond said:

(i think they're gonna alternate back and forth between each generation or something)

the overall size of the case is smaller. have you not seen a bluray/hddvd case yet?

Captain N

davepoobond said:

I can share in your feelings here. I would've liked the PS3 being up in the same spot that it was for the PS2.

mollipen

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Wasn't there a Playstation case that predated that big jewel case one? It was like cardboard or something and the left side had actual ridges on it instead of the picture insert to look like ridges near the spine of the case on the regular jewel cae.

There were actually four styles of cases for PlayStation games, but I'm having trouble remembering the exact order they came in. There was an all cardboard one where the front lid flipped open, there was the Saturn-style large jewel case, there was something that resembled the Saturn-style case, but was a different kind of plastic, more rugged, and had a ridged spine, and then there was the standard CD jewel case type.

I think they came in that order, but my memory is a bit hazy. I'm trying to think of which games were in which cases. I have some old PSX games around here somewhere in those bigger cases, but I can't find them to check to see which game was in what.

Agent X

shidoshi said:
There were actually four styles of cases for PlayStation games, but I'm having trouble remembering the exact order they came in. There was an all cardboard one where the front lid flipped open, there was the Saturn-style large jewel case, there was something that resembled the Saturn-style case, but was a different kind of plastic, more rugged, and had a ridged spine, and then there was the standard CD jewel case type.

I think they came in that order, but my memory is a bit hazy. I'm trying to think of which games were in which cases. I have some old PSX games around here somewhere in those bigger cases, but I can't find them to check to see which game was in what.

The Saturn-style plastic boxes definitely came first. I read somewhere that Sony initially had plans for a different type of box for PlayStation games, but it wasn't ready for launch, so they contacted the company that manufactured the Sega CD and Saturn boxes for Sega and used those boxes instead.

The second was the plastic box with paperboard cover and the ridged spine. That's probably my favorite of the early PlayStation boxes, as it was somewhat durable, and not easily prone to cracking from accidental dropping like the Saturn-style boxes. The ridged spine was very distinctive and looked good. The only problem with them is that as time passes, the glue holding the paperboard to the plastic sometimes dries out, causing the paperboard portion to loosen and peel away from the plastic.

The third was the all-cardboard box. They had an image of the ridged spine (from the second box) on the left side.

Finally, they changed over to small CD-style jewel cases that most people are familiar with.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
nice find reminder, better look at the spine...
ps786783t09.jpg

Bud said:
GT:HD better be included with the ps3.
it wont be, it comes out in december. but it wont be full (60 dollar) price either.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Oh god I like the clear cases a lot. They are basically bigger versions of the PSP games ones. Makes sense.
The PLAYSTATION 3 logo seems to be done with reflective/metallic material (EDIT: upon closer inspection - or not?). That's pretty awesome.

Rlan

I think I remember some old NBA game [97?] which had some cardboard-esque Jewel Case kind of thing with a bumpy front too.

Speaking of covers.. back in the day I remember Bubsy 1 Genesis coming in a cardboard case. Did many games do that?

Megadrive had your Regular Case, Regular Case for big cartridge, Fat EA Csing, Soft plastic EA casing [WTF were these for? I have Jungle Strike in 3 different case styles], ultra-mega case for Virtua Racing, Cardboard casing for later life [S&K, Ristar], then in Australia the last few just came in altered VHS cases.

Edit: What's with the really ugly

PS

at the top of the spine? Ew.

ZeoVGM

Banned
holy crap those boxes are the ugliest in years.

that spine better not have the ugly PS3 in red in America. that looks like crap and doesn't go with the rest of the box at all

indie85

Banned
omg rite said:
holy crap those boxes are the ugliest in years.

that spine better not have the ugly PS3 in red in America. that looks like crap and doesn't go with the rest of the box at all
omg if their that ugly i wont buy the game and i will boycott the PS3 Riiiite?

REV 09

i actually like them w/ the clear cases. They'll probably have inside cover art as well which is something i liked about the PSP cases. Motorstorm, Heavenly Sword, and Resistance all have awesome art.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I honestly have little problem with the PS3 strip. It looks a lot better than the PSone spine art, and it uses translucent cases. The blue cases on PS2 made them look cheap. :(

Fuzzy said:
So will the ESRB rating be on the spine here like the CERO rating will be in Japan?

CERO ratings are on the spines even now. They`ve been doing that since they switched to CERO letter grades. I`m pretty sure that`s a regulation. In other words, I doubt it has any bearing on ESRB placement.

I'm really liking the boxes. Glad they got rid of those stupid blue cases and opted for the clear. I also like how small it is in comparison to DVD cases. Looking back on it, DVD cases really shouldn't be that big at all. There's a lot of wasted space in em

noizbot

Safe Bet said:
Might be better if it wasn't going the wrong damn direction...
We read from top to bottom in this part of the world guys...

Yep. It's actually incredibly weird that they're writing the text in that direction. It's very awkward to look at, because our brain is used to text flowing the other way -- ie: on practically every book, cd/dvd spine.

I mean it's not a huge deal, but you'd think someone somewhere would have mentioned that during the design process.. hehe.

Andy787

Banned
I actually like the PS3 stripe a lot. Works better for the art, and goes well with pretty much all of the boxarts so far.

However, that spine is awful. They seriously better work on that before release. PlayStation 3 logo at the top of the spine just like PS2 pls. And the CERO/ESRB logo should not have a spot on the spine. That is horrible.

Also, I would prefer the case itself to be translucent black or dark blue, but I'm not going to complain about that because I'm just happy it's not the disgusting Blu-Ray movie blue.

I like the Motorstorm box art. :lol

It reminds me of an old offroad magazine I used to read when I was younger back in the late 80s or early 90s.

"Crash & Burn" I think it was called. It had a knack at finding great pictures like that on Motorstorm box.

Top Bottom