• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More PS4 exclusives in development - Shuhei Yoshida

nowhat

I don't think this is surprising at all, Sony has spread the announcements a bit more across the year lately.

My guess is that we'll see at least one third-party exclusive from a Japanese developer at TGS, and then one exclusive announcement at Gamescom, PGW or PSX (by first or third party, that I cannot say).

thelastword

Banned
Well, no surprise to me. It's a statement I made in the SONY Conference thread. The games Sony showcased are games that are hitting 2018/2019. It makes no sense to show games that are not hitting consoles till 2020 or till PS5/XB2.

Besides the 4; we have

Concrete Genie
Dreams
A tonne of VR games
Syphon Filter
Bluepoint Remaster

etc...

I think they had to keep a couple of announcments for PSX....especially if the games are not landing this year...

nowhat

HZD 2 and a GOW sequel
While I've no doubt we will get both, those would be about the least surprising announcements out there.

Don't get me wrong, I want to play both. But I'd rather have announcements that I didn't see coming.

Anyone who thought that the four first-party exclusives shown at their showcase were the last ones is delusional.

Curious to see what coming to close out the PS4.

Bryank75

Banned
I’d like to see some really different stuff from one or two of the studios, maybe a 2.5D platformer of Jak and Daxter or something similar.

I always wanted Sony to do a Pokémon-like game using their ASOBI robot design as the basis for a huge variety. Add Aibo, the ninja ASOBI and other types and varieties.... could be really good.

Psykodad

Banned
While I've no doubt we will get both, those would be about the least surprising announcements out there.

Don't get me wrong, I want to play both. But I'd rather have announcements that I didn't see coming.
Agreed, but I didn't realize we were discussing possible surprises.

All in all, at least those two are guaranteed system-sellers.

New single upgraded hardware for 2019 or GTFO.

I don't care about new exclusives as long as Sony hasn't fixed it's fragmented and half-assed hardware releases of 2016, and releases a single PS Neo that is backward compatible at least to the extent Microsoft has been doing it, has modern platform, connectivity and medias functionalities, and is somewhat upgraded to match the Xbox One X performance. Oh and a new PSVR, it's already getting old.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Yeah because Sony didn't show Death Stranding 3 years ago and it's a PS5 game....
Well your math is wrong, but It's a Kojima game. Sony just wanted to announce that they got Kojima, is all.....Of course, also a followup to Kojima going all over the world to choose the best engine for his needs. Seems he found it, because his open world game is functional can be traversed and of course the story is weird Kojima style. The only thing remaining to be seen is the combat, which I imagine they will leave for PSX or even next year E3, but we've already seen vintage Kojima stealth at this E3. So his game si coming together well...

They released exclusives for their consoles after those machines were succeeded right?
Of course the they did, or at least, they released exclusives close to the release of the next generation, it's something that is kind a Sony trademark, they don't abandon their consoles in a hurry. PS3 got Ascension, GT6 and TLOU pretty close to PS4. PS2 got GOW 2 pretty close to PS3. I imagine we will get quite a few exclusives on PS4 pretty close to PS5's launch just the same.....at least 6 months to a year prior or even closer....Many multiplats and some cross gen releases as well, but 60fps on 5 will be a hard thing to deny.....

My face cringes everytime i hear/read Crackdown 3.... that Terry Crews trailer thing was abominable.
Yeah, that was hard to watch. I love Terry Crews, but it's like he is in an unfunny movie here. It's like he's trying too hard. I loved the first crackdown for what it was, the collecting, trying to get everything on the map et al, but it has not been anything genre defining. Maybe the pull is multiplayer, I know XBOX fans are big proponents of that, but by the time it releases, Crackdown will have a million Multiplayer TPS to contend with.....So it cannot be just another MP shooter for XBOX, it has to be great to make an impact for XBOX...

Last edited:

THE:MILKMAN

I didn't hear him confirm any WWS games there. I seriously doubt any more PS4 games will get announced going forward but we'll see.

No doubt there are smaller exclusive games to come but the questions were poor and the answers careful.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I think most people assumed there would be but it's nice to have it confirmed. Snd of course it gives those people who 'assumed' a chance to claim they 'knew'. :)

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Well, let's analyze their studio situation. Just going down the list from their wiki.

Japan Studio could be doing anything.
Polyphony is obviously doing Gran Turismo.
Naughty Dog is on TLOU2.
Bend is on Days Gone.
San Diego keeps making MLB.
Santa Monica is making the next GoW.
Sucker Punch is on Ghost of Tsushima.
Guerrilla Games is on the next Horizon game.
London Studios is unknown, but usually making small projects.
Media Molecule is on Dreams.

First party seems busy apart from Japan Studios (Bloodborne 2?). As far as second party goes, Kojima, Insomniac, and Quantic Dreams are busy. Supermassive Games and Bluepoint are freed up. Maybe Ready at Dawn is still a partner?

hiphopcr

Something something Crackdown 3
But no one is saying Microsoft has never done that. A certain lastword is saying stupid garbage like "It makes no sense to show games that are not hitting consoles till 2020" when Sony has been the king of that this gen. Where's Shenmue and Final Fantasy remake?

NahaNago

Well, let's analyze their studio situation. Just going down the list from their wiki.

Naughty Dog is on TLOU2.
Bend is on Days Gone.

First party seems busy apart from Japan Studios (Bloodborne 2?). As far as second party goes, Kojima, Insomniac, and Quantic Dreams are busy. Supermassive Games and Bluepoint are freed up. Maybe Ready at Dawn is still a partner?

That list makes me feel like they still need several more studios. They really shouldn't have gotten rid of evolution studios but had them refocus on a fun arcade game instead of the hybrid they had created.

WaterAstro

That list makes me feel like they still need several more studios. They really shouldn't have gotten rid of evolution studios but had them refocus on a fun arcade game instead of the hybrid they had created.
Well, before Microsoft did all their buying, they were literally at only 4 studios (343, Turn 10, Mojang, Rare). Sony has more than Nintendo and Microsoft still. I didn't name the few smaller studios that they have doing small projects.

With Sony's close partners making exclusives, I think Sony has more than enough.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Well, before Microsoft did all their buying, they were literally at only 4 studios (343, Turn 10, Mojang, Rare). Sony has more than Nintendo and Microsoft still. I didn't name the few smaller studios that they have doing small projects.

With Sony's close partners making exclusives, I think Sony has more than enough.

I was just figuring that games take 3 to 4 years to make and they have 10 major studios. So i was thinking that 4 games a year you would need about 12 to 16 studios.

nowhat

But no one is saying Microsoft has never done that. A certain lastword is saying stupid garbage like "It makes no sense to show games that are not hitting consoles till 2020" when Sony has been the king of that this gen. Where's Shenmue and Final Fantasy remake?
A certain lastword is not me, so do complain to him directly.

Seriously. I do get you like Xbox, and dislike Playstation. To each their own. But you could be replaced with a Markov chain generator (the source being your own posts in any Sony-related thread) and the quality of the thread would probably improve. Give it a rest already.

CJY

Banned
And here I was thinking that 1st party studios like GG, SSM, et al. without announced games were just sitting on their hands.

nowhat

And here I was thinking that 1st party studios like GG, SSM, et al. without announced games were just sitting on their hands.
Guerrilla will do Horizon 2, Santa Monica will do a sequel to God of War, both are pretty much given. But they will not be this gen, and will not be announced before the next hardware.

(is my estimate, at any rate)

THE:MILKMAN

If Shuhei had been specifically asked if any new WWS are still to be announced for PS4 he either would have not answered or given an evasive non-answer.

No new WWS games were announced at E3 and there is a running joke that they get three E3 showings before releasing.

hiphopcr

A certain lastword is not me, so do complain to him directly.

Seriously. I do get you like Xbox, and dislike Playstation. To each their own. But you could be replaced with a Markov chain generator (the source being your own posts in any Sony-related thread) and the quality of the thread would probably improve. Give it a rest already.
Calling out thelastword's insanity can be a bipartisan activity.

Handy Fake

Naughty Dog is on TLOU2.
Bend is on Days Gone.

Bluepoint need to be given the chance to do their own game. It wouldn't surprise me if that's on the cards.

Ar¢tos

Bluepoint need to be given the chance to do their own game. It wouldn't surprise me if that's on the cards.
They have done their own game in the past and could do any time they want, with their rep securing funds would be easy.
Has it occurred to you that they do remasters/remakes because that is what they enjoy doing?

nowhat

They have done their own game in the past and could do any time they want, with their rep securing funds would be easy.
Has it occurred to you that they do remasters/remakes because that is what they enjoy doing?
One game, a very simple PSN title. For a long time they didn't have that many artists employed, but they've been gradually increasing their staff in that department and currently it seems they really have art covered by themselves too (see: Shadow of the Colossus). And they sure know their tech (I was really surprised and impressed to learn SotC actually runs two engines in parallel, the Bluepoint engine handling most of what's on display and the original SotC engine handling much of the game logic).

If they are just satisfied with doing remasters/remakes that's fine, but I'd be really interested to see if they can come up with an original AAA title.

Bryank75

Banned

Naughty Dog is on TLOU2.
Bend is on Days Gone.

They have a new studio supposedly working on the Uncharted franchise too. San Mateo?
And Manchester Studio along with PixelOpus.

Housemarque also often do exclusives for PlayStation...

Top Bottom