• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More PS4 exclusives in development - Shuhei Yoshida

nowhat

San Diego keeps making MLB.
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not American and really baseball is not that much of a thing elsewhere - is it really that successful that it's worth dedicating one studio to churn out new versions every year? Although, sports games can be quite safe investments, just tweak the game a bit, update the roster and laugh all the way to the bank.

Housemarque also often do exclusives for PlayStation...
For a long time they were PSN-only, but Nex Machina was on Steam too and was self-published, I guess their next game (which apparently will be a battle royale game of sorts, sigh) will be at least PS4 and PC.

WaterAstro

They have a new studio supposedly working on the Uncharted franchise too. San Mateo?
And Manchester Studio along with PixelOpus.

Yeah, I skipped out some that are really small teams. Just going for the big games.
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not American and really baseball is not that much of a thing elsewhere - is it really that successful that it's worth dedicating one studio to churn out new versions every year? Although, sports games can be quite safe investments, just tweak the game a bit, update the roster and laugh all the way to the bank.

For a long time they were PSN-only, but Nex Machina was on Steam too and was self-published, I guess their next game (which apparently will be a battle royale game of sorts, sigh) will be at least PS4 and PC.
Well, I dunno, but San Diego just focuses on MLB from looking at their releases. The only non-MLB thing they do is when they collaborate with another studio.

Tarkus98

Well, let's analyze their studio situation. Just going down the list from their wiki.

Japan Studio could be doing anything.
Polyphony is obviously doing Gran Turismo.
Naughty Dog is on TLOU2.
Bend is on Days Gone.
Santa Monica is making the next GoW.
Sucker Punch is on Ghost of Tsushima.
Guerrilla Games is on the next Horizon game.
London Studios is unknown, but usually making small projects.
Media Molecule is on Dreams.

First party seems busy apart from Japan Studios (Bloodborne 2?). As far as second party goes, Kojima, Insomniac, and Quantic Dreams are busy. Supermassive Games and Bluepoint are freed up. Maybe Ready at Dawn is still a partner?
I believe Naughty Dog has a second team also working on an IP.

Toe-Knee

Well, let's analyze their studio situation. Just going down the list from their wiki.

Naughty Dog is on TLOU2.
Bend is on Days Gone.

First party seems busy apart from Japan Studios (Bloodborne 2?). As far as second party goes, Kojima, Insomniac, and Quantic Dreams are busy. Supermassive Games and Bluepoint are freed up. Maybe Ready at Dawn is still a partner?
Aren't London studio doing blood and truth?

Ar¢tos

One game, a very simple PSN title. For a long time they didn't have that many artists employed, but they've been gradually increasing their staff in that department and currently it seems they really have art covered by themselves too (see: Shadow of the Colossus). And they sure know their tech (I was really surprised and impressed to learn SotC actually runs two engines in parallel, the Bluepoint engine handling most of what's on display and the original SotC engine handling much of the game logic).

If they are just satisfied with doing remasters/remakes that's fine, but I'd be really interested to see if they can come up with an original AAA title.
Why take such a risk?
They have no competition at their level, they only work on good games, there is no need to create gameplay, lore or characters, they are only judged by the improvements they make and not by the content itself. It's like the best thing a developer could wish for.

The other team is most likely working on a ps5 launch title.

Last edited:

daibaron

Banned
Why take such a risk?
They have no competition at their level, they only work on good games, there is no need to create gameplay, lore or characters, they are only judged by the improvements they make and not by the content itself. It's like the best thing a developer could wish for.

They do a very valuable work. thanks to them i will finally play SOTC with good performance. It was annoying playing it on ps2.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
If only I could, I´d make a deal with God... for Bloodborne 2 and Demon´s Souls remake.
I don't think we're getting a Bloodborne 2 this gen.......A Demon Souls Remaster is possible or a Medievel remaster......

At this point, a Syphon Filter Remake may be possible this gen and perhaps a reboot of the series for PS5. Yet I think most of the studios are in next gen transition mode or will be soon. Days Gone will be done in a couple of months, Naughty is finishing TLOU2, Santa Monica is probably preparing a new IP or are going fullfledged into the concept phase for GOW2 for PS5. PD is probably working on GT7 for PS5 etc etc...

Despite that, there are stil many studios that have not released their wares and smaller studios that have games in development. Dreams is one, Concrete Genie is another. As for second party, I imagine after Insomniac is done with Spiderman they should get a contract with Sony for something else on PS5....Hope RAD gets a second shot too...

Last edited:

WaterAstro

I don't think they work like they have two teams. I believe when one game is almost finished, then they can afford to have some people work on the next game.
Aren't London studio doing blood and truth?
Well, I dunno, I didn't count it as a big game because it's VR. Maybe it's a AAA VR game. Not sure.
Lets not forget that Cerny might be working on Knack 3!
Cerny is working with Kojima or something, so Death Stranding = Knack 3?

Handy Fake

They have done their own game in the past and could do any time they want, with their rep securing funds would be easy.
Has it occurred to you that they do remasters/remakes because that is what they enjoy doing?
One game, a very simple PSN title. For a long time they didn't have that many artists employed, but they've been gradually increasing their staff in that department and currently it seems they really have art covered by themselves too (see: Shadow of the Colossus). And they sure know their tech (I was really surprised and impressed to learn SotC actually runs two engines in parallel, the Bluepoint engine handling most of what's on display and the original SotC engine handling much of the game logic).

If they are just satisfied with doing remasters/remakes that's fine, but I'd be really interested to see if they can come up with an original AAA title.

This ^.

Toe-Knee

Well, I dunno, I didn't count it as a big game because it's VR. Maybe it's a AAA VR game. Not sure.

Is the one that sony are betting on currently and looks better everytime they show it. As far as I know London studio only does VR that is what they were created for. They did world's for the launch which was well received and their main selling push.

Ar¢tos

I don't think they work like they have two teams. I believe when one game is almost finished, then they can afford to have some people work on the next game.

Cerny is working with Kojima or something, so Death Stranding = Knack 3?
They have 2 teams. They are always working on 2 things at the same time, moving people between teams depending on where they are needed the most. SSM also has 2 teams, so while GoW was being made, another smaller team probably started working on something else or GoW 2. SSM also has the incubation studio where they help launching new indie studios, so something will come out of there too.
Guerrilla Games is also probably working on a Ps5 launch title.

nowhat

They have 2 teams. They are always working on 2 things at the same time, moving people between teams depending on where they are needed the most.
If we redefine what "always" means, sure. UC3 and the original TLoU was the first time they had two teams working on two games at the same time.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

They have 2 teams. They are always working on 2 things at the same time, moving people between teams depending on where they are needed the most. SSM also has 2 teams, so while GoW was being made, another smaller team probably started working on something else or GoW 2. SSM also has the incubation studio where they help launching new indie studios, so something will come out of there too.
Guerrilla Games is also probably working on a Ps5 launch title.
Nah, I don't think it's like that. I really think it's 2-3 year cycle with almost the entire team on one game at a time. If they're coming up with a new game, they have a handful of people to create the concept design. You don't throw 300 members on concept work.

photogaz

That's why we won't see a PS5 any sooner. Too many games on PS4 still to come and not enough resources.

Sony is in a difficult position at the moment with how the games have fallen. I feel the PS5 launch window games will be:

Killzone (Launch Title)
GT7 (GT6 for PS3 was a mistake and won't happen again)
Sony Japan Title (Launch Title)

Last edited:
Guys of course there are exclusive games. The PS2 and the PS3 both continued getting support for like YEARS after the PS3 and PS4 were released.

demigod

Naughty Dog is on TLOU2.
Bend is on Days Gone.

Maybe Guerilla Cambridge is working on the next Killzone. Man i wish Resistance would come back, prefer that over Killzone.

Also Sony has 3 shows a year so its not surprising that they spread the game news out.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
I still think SOCOM is one of those unannounced games. And if I had to bet I'd say it'll be a PS5 launch title. Makes sense to do it that way to reboot the series. With the success of R6 Siege it proves there's still a market for tactical FPS games.

nowhat

Ahh crap I didn’t know that. Thats pretty fast since Rigs came out 3 months before.
Yeah it came a bit out of the blue. By all accounts RIGS was decent at least, haven't tried it myself.

My guess as to why is that the studio was rebranded in 2012 as Guerrilla Cambridge to work mainly on Killzone games on Vita. While the Killzone franchise may see some future releases (not soon at least by Guerrilla proper though, HZD 2 is all but confirmed), I think we can all agree Vita is pretty much done with, especially outside Japan.

Alcaze

Neo Member
Personally, i'm still hoping for either a Demon's Souls remake, Bloodborne 2 or some wild new IP, something that doesn't necessarily scream Sony.. Maybe something akin to Sunset Overdrive, crazy, fun and weird with some decent humour (though SO fell short more often than not, imo) not sure which western devs would be a good fit though.

What was that game called that Let It Die bacame? It was an anime girl with ribbons as a weapon or something akin to it. Thought it looked amazing, but then they shitcanned it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
According to An interview conducted during E3, Shuhei revealed that there are still some PS4 exclusives still in development and yet to be revealed.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018...exclusives_in_development_says_shuhei_yoshida

Fire's hot
Ice is not
Sky is blue
but not on the moon

How is this news? Kudos to Sony for creating an environment where these kind of things are not even remotely surprising.

It's reassuring yea...a tweet would have sufficed though.

Naughty Dog is on TLOU2.
Bend is on Days Gone.

Assuming none of those studios are working on two games at a time. Naughty Dog was a two team studio for a short period before they lost some people and went back to a single team to finish UC4 and then work on the TLOU2 but it's not impossible to think they or one of the other larger studios have a second team starting work on another title that will get larger efforts after the current title nears completion. Look at Media Molecule for example, if you look at when games were released/unannounced it's not crazy to think at some point they were working in some capacity on Little Big Planet 3, Tearaway and Dreams at the same time.

NahaNago

Naughty Dog is on TLOU2.
Bend is on Days Gone.

They really need more Japanese studios, well just more studios period considering how long it takes to make a game. If you add in the companies who have only released like one game this gen like Polyphony and Media Molecule who haven't released anything this gen except for a port, and Sony Bend is finally releasing a game next year and the last game they released was in 2012 then you can see that they really do need more studios. I really think they need to like double the amount of studios they have and touch on some of the more niche side of gaming like fighting , music, anime or animation , and strategy. In my opinion Media Molecule should have released some games from their Dreams game maker already to just tide folks over until they finished this software.

They have a new studio supposedly working on the Uncharted franchise too. San Mateo?
And Manchester Studio along with PixelOpus.

I think Housemarque is going to go the Pc and playstation route.

Sony is kind of in a rough spot right now with what they should announce and when games will actually ship. This is what happens when you continue to show games too early and next generation is coming up.

EDMIX

Sony is kind of in a rough spot right now with what they should announce and when games will actually ship. This is what happens when you continue to show games too early and next generation is coming up.

Too early? lol ok pal.

They market how they feel just. They have enough studios to market that way. So next gen is coming up, but Shu has confirmed they have more games in development, so I could care less when they announce a game, I care that I'm getting a game period.

So they are ahead this gen not based on when their games release, but that they release period. I don't play "release dates" or "announcements" I play games, thus don't care when or how its announced, only when I'm right there playing the actual game. As to why 80 million bought PS4s, they didn't buy them based on this fake idea that games might be coming, they bought it based on historically Sony's ability to release quality games.

No matter how long that takes. Sony can market the long run because they release AAA hits every year, they can market year ahead cause they have teams ALWAYS making games around the clock, so they have no ode to keep a game silent as if someone is buying a game they would have hated, cause its releasing earlier from when they originally heard of it.

That just doesn't sound like a real reason someone buys games, ie I hate Call Of Duty series, but I'll buy it if it releases the same day it was announced.......who is REALLY thinking this way?

Too early? lol ok pal.

They market how they feel just. They have enough studios to market that way. So next gen is coming up, but Shu has confirmed they have more games in development, so I could care less when they announce a game, I care that I'm getting a game period.

So they are ahead this gen not based on when their games release, but that they release period. I don't play "release dates" or "announcements" I play games, thus don't care when or how its announced, only when I'm right there playing the actual game. As to why 80 million bought PS4s, they didn't buy them based on this fake idea that games might be coming, they bought it based on historically Sony's ability to release quality games.

No matter how long that takes. Sony can market the long run because they release AAA hits every year, they can market year ahead cause they have teams ALWAYS making games around the clock, so they have no ode to keep a game silent as if someone is buying a game they would have hated, cause its releasing earlier from when they originally heard of it.

That just doesn't sound like a real reason someone buys games, ie I hate Call Of Duty series, but I'll buy it if it releases the same day it was announced.......who is REALLY thinking this way?

Feel better now? This is a reflection of their E3 shows and this years was terrible and like last year hardly anything was announced we didn't already know about. That's what happens when you show the games so early. The other problem Sony has is they do too many shows per year which kind of takes away the suspense of things like E3. That does not mean I hate Sony or hate their games or am clueless why they sold 80 million systems. My gosh you take things personal, nobody is attacking your plastic toy.

For the last 2 E3s Sony's showings have been slender. My belief is that they are taking steps to shorten the gap between announce and release. To make that change you have to pick up that slack somewhere - so stop talking about so much stuff for a couple of years as that new cycle beds in.

It's not uncommon for enthusiast gamers to bemoan their backlog, so having to wait for games to come out isn't really a hardship. There's plenty for everyone.

My gosh you take things personal, nobody is attacking your plastic toy.
Please can you point out, specifically where in the comment you quoted as to the personal behaviour that justifies your remark? I genuinely don't see it. Thanks.

Last edited:
For the last 2 E3s Sony's showings have been slender. My belief is that they are taking steps to shorten the gap between announce and release. To make that change you have to pick up that slack somewhere - so stop talking about so much stuff for a couple of years as that new cycle beds in.

It's not uncommon for enthusiast gamers to bemoan their backlog, so having to wait for games to come out isn't really a hardship. There's plenty for everyone.

Please can you point out, specifically where in the comment you quoted as to the personal behaviour that justifies your remark? I genuinely don't see it. Thanks.

How do you explain anything to those who are obsessed with only seeing things from their point of view? We already had this circle jerk with Sony's stance on crossplay and my gullible nature eventually confirmed that debating with fanboys is a complete waste of time.

I'm sorry, but rather than answering the question you've just doubled-down on the personal remarks.
Could you answer the question please?

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but rather than answering the question you've just doubled-down on the personal remarks.
Could you answer the question please?

How do you explain anything to those who are obsessed with only seeing things from their point of view? We already had this circle jerk with Sony's stance on crossplay and my gullible nature eventually confirmed that debating with fanboys is a complete waste of time.

I don't see how repeatedly refusing to answer simple questions about your own claims, being needlessly personal, and being confrontational is an effective way to make your point.

Rather than allowing me to better understand your position, you have forced me to draw my own conclusions.

Last edited:

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member
Feel better now? *snip* My gosh you take things personal, nobody is attacking your plastic toy.

You appear to be the one taking things personally here. Your post was addressed reasonably and you responded with personal commentary to mock that member. You have been politely asked for an explanation and have double posted a non-answer. You decry other people being singular in viewpoint while dismissing views that differ from your own as some kind of emotional weakness. That is hypocrisy as its finest.

Please reflect on your own behavior, before, during and after considering what you don't like about other peoples.

You appear to be the one taking things personally here. Your post was addressed reasonably and you responded with personal commentary to mock that member. You have been politely asked for an explanation and have double posted a non-answer. You decry other people being singular in viewpoint while dismissing views that differ from your own as some kind of emotional weakness. That is hypocrisy as its finest.

Please reflect on your own behavior, before, during and after considering what you don't like about other peoples.

First off I am not going to waste my time with the member who continues to ask but never answers questions in return. The Sony crossplay topic was a complete waste of time with him and he only answers partial questions, it was constant runaround with him talking like a lawyer. As for my initial response to EDMIX he has clearly shown his attitude to how I expressed myself to the way Sony markets its games way too early. "Too early? lol ok pal." He is scoffing at the idea I put forward was baseless even though it was pretty evident that what I said was true.

Then to top it all off he ends with this "That just doesn't sound like a real reason someone buys games, ie I hate Call Of Duty series, but I'll buy it if it releases the same day it was announced.......who is REALLY thinking this way?"

Bethesda is a prime example of how wrong he is. Fallout 4 was announced just months before. Did it not sell? Sony in their wisdom this year decided to get close and personal with 4 titles, 3 of which still have no actual release date. The irony to all of this is you now have Shu coming out and letting people know they have other games in development. That to me suggests the message they gave at this years E3 wasn't very clear and when you compound last years E3 with no new titles aside from Ghost then of course it questions what's in the pipeline for the PS4. This would have been a non-issue if we didn't see a lot of the same games for at least 2 years now. Which is why I highlighted how they are in the situation they are in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom