• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More PSP Action: Dantes Inferno

ram

EA INVITES PSP OWNERS TO GO TO HELL

EA Redwood Shores' Dante's Inferno Coming to Sony's PlayStation Portable Alongside PLAYSTATION 3 and Xbox 360

Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: ERTS) today announced that its highly anticipated action adventure game Dante’s InfernoTM will be coming to the PSP® (Sony PlayStation® Portable). Based on part one of Dante Alighieri’s classic, “The Divine Comedy,” EA’s Dante’s Inferno will also take players on an epic adventure through Dante’s famously mapped nine circles of hell. Dante’s Inferno will be available simultaneously for the PSP, the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system next year.

Dante’s Inferno for the PSP is being developed by EA’s award-winning EA Redwood Shores studio and Artificial Mind and Movement (A2M), based in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

“Our team and the team at A2M are taking the vision for Dante’s Inferno and translating it directly to the PSP,” said Jonathan Knight, executive producer and creative director on Dante’s Inferno. “PSP owners can expect to get the same level of fast, responsive gameplay through all nine detailed and unique circles of hell we are aiming to achieve on the consoles.”

Alighieri’s “Dante’s Inferno” is widely credited for being the work that has defined the western world’s contemporary conception of hell and purgatory. Just like the poem, players of EA’s 3rd person action adventure game will descend through all nine circles of hell: limbo, lust, gluttony, greed, anger, heresy, violence, fraud and treachery, playing as Dante as they battle through a gauntlet of unimaginable evils, fighting to recapture the soul of his beloved Beatrice.

Dante’s Inferno has not yet been rated by PEGI. For more information about Dante’s Inferno, please visit www.dantesinferno.com.

Good to see Barlowe's Inferno is receiving a wide platform release. Wayne's a great artist, its nice that he will pick up some cash from EA's God of War game.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
jess_psp.jpg

°°ToMmY°° said:
seems sony is really trying to push the psp this year.

Thank God!

*edit

ram said:
Just like the poem, players of EA’s 3rd person action adventure game will descend through all nine circles of hell: limbo, lust, gluttony, greed, anger, heresy, violence, fraud and treachery, playing as Dante as they battle through a gauntlet of unimaginable evils, fighting to recapture the soul of his beloved Beatrice.

EA's interpretation is just like the poem? According to the press release, yes, but not according to the versions of Inferno and Purgatorio that I read. If my memory serves me well, Beatrice led him through Heaven, she wasn't trapped in Hell. Dante was led into the realms by Virgil after Virgil happened upon him getting ready to commit a great sin.

I guess EA is banking on the fact that today's gamers likely won't read, or haven't read one of the greatest literary works of all time?

What a shame.

Panajev2001a said:
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, it is not just like the poem!
dialmydrive said:
EA's interpretation is just like the poem? According to the press release, yes, but not according to the versions of Inferno and Purgatorio that I read. If my memory serves me well, Beatrice led him through Heaven, she wasn't trapped in Hell. Dante was led into the realms by Virgil after Virgil happened upon him getting ready to commit a great sin.

I guess EA is banking on the fact that today's gamers likely won't read, or haven't read one of the greatest literary works of all time?

What a shame.
Dear God, these.

Spiegel said:
Announcements without images/videos. I hate them
I'm just expecting something similar to GoW:CoO. If its a competent imitation of said game, I might pick it up just for some portable action gaming. I have no interest in the console version, however; with NGΣ2, Bayonetta, and GoW3 on the way, I simply have no need for it.

Darkpen

Banned
The makers of the yet-released WET is working with EA on making a PSP port for Dantes Inferno?

Yeah, I've got nothing.

Laguna

Banned
Cool another downport. :) Honestly, first Sonys bitching about Microsofts "moneyhatting" and now with no real reason a surge in PSP games by western 3rd parties developers. Did they convince them with good hardware or software sales?

Spiegel

Laguna said:
Cool another downport. :) Honestly, first Sonys bitching about Microsofts "moneyhatting" and now with no real reason a surge in PSP games by western 3rd parties developers. Did they convince them with good hardware or software sales?

God of War: CoO is a million+ seller on psp so yes, it's easy to understand why EA is doing a psp version

Bizzyb

Banned
I had a dream that they came out with this newly designed PSP and t was so great it convienced me to FINALLY get one....too bad it was just a dream, but the new design was actually REALLY great. Maybe I should copy it down and copyright it or something...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Laguna said:

this is bad thing ?

also Wii , PS2 , DS got downports all the time ( we don't know if this a portable completely different version or just downport yet tho ) , and no there are reasons for this , PSP3000 is piracy proof , new PSP model coming soon , and Sony pushing downloadable only market .

Laguna

Banned
Totobeni said:
this is bad thing ?

also Wii , PS2 , DS got downports all the time ( we don't know if this a portable completely different version or just downport yet tho ) , and no there are reasons for this , PSP3000 is piracy proof , new PSP model coming soon , and Sony pushing downloadable only market .

You didn´t get the point. Sony publicly bitched about MS "moneyhatting" while they probably are just doing the same behind the scenes. And while piracy is often used as an excuse for low software sales, the hardware is also falling behind in the markets that matter to western publishers especially in USA.

Joe211

Laguna said:
what!?

Tellaerin

Laguna said:
You didn´t get the point. Sony publicly bitched about MS "moneyhatting" while they probably are just doing the same behind the scenes. And while piracy is often used as an excuse for low software sales, the hardware is also falling behind in the markets that matter to western publishers especially in USA.

Laguna, man, maybe you ought to catch up on some of the forum posts regarding the upcoming new PSP, and the speculation that it may be a digital distribution-only platform. That's why a lot of us think publishers are showing renewed interest in the PSP right now, not moneyhats.

Laguna

Banned
Tellaerin said:
Laguna, man, maybe you ought to catch up on some of the forum posts regarding the upcoming new PSP, and the speculation that it may be a digital distribution-only platform. That's why a lot of us think publishers are showing renewed interest in the PSP right now, not moneyhats.

While I still won´t discount the possiblity of the same means as MS (only not as strong), I agree that if the rumored features for the "new" PSP are true they could have convinced them otherwise, since publishers may see it as a relaunch.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Laguna said:
You didn´t get the point. Sony publicly bitched about MS "moneyhatting" while they probably are just doing the same behind the scenes.

"moneyhat" usually secure exclusives or stole them..not the same here

what Sony was talking about is moneyha like exclusive DLCs or region exclusive ( like outrun ) , here Sony just want EA and other to support PSP .

And while piracy is often used as an excuse for low software sales, the hardware is also falling behind in the markets that matter to western publishers especially in USA.

so Sony try to revive their only portable system , what the wrong here again ? and since more games might help the system sales in the future , What do you want ? seriously Should Sony just give up abandon all legal PSP owners and went 3rd party or something ?

Deft Beck

I'm not really interested in this.
I mean, turning the story of Dante's Inferno into a generic beat-em-up ala God of War?
That's not exactly faithful to the source material.

Tellaerin

Wheeliedude said:
I mean, turning the story of Dante's Inferno into a generic beat-em-up ala God of War?

Yeah! I mean, God of War was unfaithful to Greek mythology, and we all saw how that turned ou... oh, wait.

Wheeliedude said:

Well, to be fair, being faithful to the source material would basically just be a point and click adventure.

Tellaerin said:
Yeah! I mean, God of War was unfaithful to Greek mythology, and we all saw how that turned ou... oh, wait.

God of War was never ever marketed like this game, it's not making one of the greatest works of art ever into a generic "entertainment franchise" aimed at illiterate retards, all the while claiming to be keeping to the spirit of the poem. The annoying thing is not the source material, it's how they're using the name of the poem and its author to market their focus-group-driven crap, because some fuckwit committee of managers realised that a GoW-type game is still missing from their portfolio of games that can be milked to death with bi-yearly games, movies and other shit. Comics will be next I guess.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
Every time they do a big push for games on the PSP they forget one thing; Piracy of disk products. Why aren't third parties willing to release new games on the PSN store?

Dante

AnnSwag said:
Every time they do a big push for games on the PSP they forget one thing; Piracy of disk products. Why aren't third parties willing to release new games on the PSN store?

Makes me think they are going this route after E3, possibly even letting people play said PSN games on Ps3, I can't think of any other incentives as to why all these third party PSP games are getting announced.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
ram said:
EA INVITES PSP OWNERS TO GO TO HELL
Oh gosh, that's such a kind offer.

Wait.

Still, more games for the PSP can only be a good thing.
AceBandage said:
Well, to be fair, being faithful to the source material would basically just be a point and click adventure.
And that's a bad thing because?

Top Bottom