• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Rayman Legends media released: 5 screens and boxart... No port begging

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It can't be the best looking game ever. It's on a fucking Nintendo console ffs. It just can't be.
--------

Lol, game looks phenomenal.

tkscz

You're grasping at straws here. And actually she's looking down at the dragon abdomen.

Ok so I see one issue that I personally have with the boxart and I'm grasping at straws? I find it a little odd that I see the image in a different way and get attacked by gaf for it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I kind of prefer the look of Origins, but this is still absolutely stunning and will stand as one of the best looking 2D games ever made. If this is a launch game then the WiiU might actually have a really strong start. A new 2D Rayman game at launch? How amazing is that?!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Looks good, though folks need to realize that art styles are relative.

That, and the extremely stylized, painterly style these Rayman games are using isn't ideal for all games. These games have very loose, forgiving platforming. Essentially everything is humongous super sized to account for the irregular, impressionistic visuals.

People should just be happy that games with a variety of styles are being made, instead of all of one thing. I get the impression that some who don't think it through would want every single platformer, for instance, to just use Rayman's graphic set.

Best looking game ever? Good god no. What the? Best looking Rayman game ever? Yep.

People have an extremely difficult time separating art and end effect from technology.

"Best looking ever" is usually taken to literally mean the most advanced display of technology, etc. Rayman Origins and Legends are technologically simple compared to many games. Likewise, plenty of games using advanced and expensive tech get fawned over as 'best ever' when they have dull or uninteresting art, design, etc.

There is no best looking game ever. There are too many ways in which a game may looking appealing. A more logical observation might be that these Rayman games may have the best execution of this style of visuals so far in a video game. They are the best in their class.

Looks better than Origins for sure. Characters and enemies don't stick out like a sore thumb anymore with their flatness and actually look like to be part of the game world.
Backgrounds also seem to be more complex due to more layers if you see it in motion.

Het_Nkik

But that's still multiplayer. I'm talking about singleplayer here.

Even though it's being played multiplayer, nothing in the stage REQUIRES multiplayer, unlike the previous stages they've shown.

I'm saying you can see how the stage can be played and completed fine by yourself.

I finished Origins on PC recently and I have to say the the fire animations in that game are the best I've ever seen.

I don't really see what's so different about this game's artstyle to make people say that Origins looked better though :/

Het_Nkik

I finished Origins on PC recently and I have to say the the fire animations in that game are the best I've ever seen.

I don't really see what's so different about this game's artstyle to make people say that Origins looked better though :/

This one has a painted look while Origins had an animation look due to the simpler shading.

If Nintendo has any class they will support this game with a fair amount of marketing. They should really honor the fact that they are getting such a sweet exclusive title, which is basically tailor-made for the audience Nintendo is aiming at.
Would be a shame if NSMBU completely overshadows it.

Omikaru

Credit where it's due, Ubisoft could've just ported Rayman Origins to Wii U and called it a day. I think it's frankly amazing that they're stepping up and releasing an exclusive game so early in the system's life.

From what I've seen of the game, this is the launch title to beat right now.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Damn this looks amazing. There are too many games that I want at launch. I'm trying to narrow it down to two or three to start with, but it's easier said than done.

Origins was jawdroppingly beautiful, but this definitely looks even better. I'm just happy that Origins got a sequel. What an awesome game that was.

Lijik

The difference in shading can make it easier for people to read the characters, since they "pop" more on the painterly backgrounds with a flatter look.

Akey

Banned
Looks Great. Sure hope the single player looks great also. Heck is there even a single video showing single player in this game. Lack of online + heavy/all focused on multiplayer.... think I will wait for reviews first rather then day 1. Maybe I could double box and wang waggle or something?

Vdragoon

The only "lame" thing are people hoping for the game on other consoles. If you and your wife fell in love it you'd get it regardless of where it goes.

.la1n

Origins was impressive and at first I wasn't sure about the new graphics shading with Legends but one video later and I was sold. These new screens just solidify the goodness. Funny that I think I might be more excited for this than NSMBU.

Bumhead

Banned
NSMBU looks miserable next to this game.

I think NSMBU looks fine, but Rayman Legends (and Origins, while we're at it) provides a ton of context to people who think Mario should be doing more in terms of visual style and art direction.

I would do anything for a new Mario or Yoshi's Island that looked like that.

I just wish Ubisoft would release this on the 360 as well :( other than that, it looks amazing

I seem to remember someone from Ubisoft saying that the PS3 and 360 aren't powerful enough to handle the amount of enemies on the screen at once unfortunately. Plus you'd need a GamePad controller for co-op play too.

Prinny

I prefer Muramasa and Dust:AET graphics, but anyway with this game + Mario + Sonic Racing the Wii U launch will be great.

Top Bottom