• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Top Staff Leaves Infinity Ward

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
zerokoolpsx said:
Before you know it, more staff at IW will leave over this fiasco. CoD is already dead.
Treyarch actually does a decent job with the series. WaW did pretty well at living up to the CoD name. Not perfect, but it didn't suck or anything.

rvy

Banned
BobsRevenge said:
Treyarch actually does a decent job with the series. WaW did pretty well at living up to the CoD name. Not perfect, but it didn't suck or anything.
"Not sucking" does not live up to the CoD name.

Yen

[Nintex] said:
The next COD will probably play out something like this:
3: Theatre of Fascist Communist Eurafrica

I can't be the only one who wants a 1984 game?
*Even though there is a big chance that all the wars in the book never actually happen and are just propaganda.

BobsRevenge

rvy said:
"Not sucking" does not live up to the CoD name.
Well, I think they pretty much all suck, so that's as high of a compliment I'm willing to give one of them. Even if it is judged relative to the suck of the others. :D

neorej

ERMYGERD!
They'll get back together, form IW2, pump out the shooter that defines shooters this gen, Kotick will sit in awe realizing what could've been and spins it to the press that this is exactly what happens when people work under the creative freedoms of Activision. I cannot see any other outcome.

Interfectum

neorej said:
They'll get back together, form IW2, pump out the shooter that defines shooters this gen, Kotick will sit in awe realizing what could've been and spins it to the press that this is exactly what happens when people work under the creative freedoms of Activision. He will then proceed to dismantle Blizzard and form a new dev team dedicated to making yearly Diablo Pro Skater and Call of Starcraft games. I cannot see any other outcome.

fixed.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Infinity Ward could kill a baby and some of you would blame Activision.

Also is Bowling really leading the ipad gaming unit :lol

FortunateSon said:
Guys, I got a question. So does Blizzard report to Activision or Kotick? So Blizzard will do what Activision (or Kotick) says so? If so, that must suck for Blizzard seeing as how they (Activision/Kotick) drove IW down, a developer that made them a lot of money with a very solid franchise. The same could happen to Blizzard no? Now, don't get me wrong, I'm just worried because I really don't want Blizzard to go to shit. I enjoy most of their franchises. So I was just wondering who has control?

Yes, Blizzard's studio head reports to Activision's COO who reports directly to Kotick.

Interfectum

Y2Kev said:
Infinity Ward could kill a baby and some of you would blame Activision.

Also is Bowling really leading the ipad gaming unit :lol

But they didn't kill a baby. They made Activision a billion dollars last year and created the biggest franchise Activision has.

Of course egos would massively inflate from events such as this but it's Activision's responsibility to see that all sides are happy. Instead they cut the head off the biggest, most talent studio (outside of Blizzard) they have and now it's crumbling around them.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Yeah but they got the Highest Selling Franchise in Gaming History under Their (Activision's) control so they can let Sledgehammer and Treyarch work on it.

they let IW do all the leg work build it up, come in take control of it, kill of the main studio and let the name live on, they can now do what they want/think is best to let the monies keep on rolling.

Interfectum

jufonuk said:
Yeah but they got the biggest Franchise in Gaming under Activisions controls so they can let Sledgehammer and Treyarch work on it.

That's shortsighted. You don't kill the dev team that innovates. Treyarch and Sledgehammer will be mucking around in IW's leftovers while someone else picks up the ball and pushes the genre forward leaving Activision with yet another dead franchise.

I'm almost happy to hear that one of the main multiplayer guys is gone. MW2 is a fantastic game but man, some of the MP implementations are just fucking terrible. I'd love to see what some IW staffers that were lower on the totem pole would come up with now that they have some more freedom.

And there's still Treyarch. World at War was a fantastic game, just as good as IW's. The biggest shock was the SP, it was very good. The tidbits of info that have been released regarding Treyarch's next CoD game have been very interesting (no Commando, pistols returning as the sole secondary weapon, etc).

jufonuk said:
Yeah but they got the biggest Franchise in Gaming under Activisions controls so they can let Sledgehammer and Treyarch work on it.

You seriously don't get it ?

Sure people don't know who the fuck IW are but they can sure tell if the game is worth their money every year and looking at COD will be on the decline in both quality and sales from this point on.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm just bummed these guys leaving aren't starting up another company together, just like they did with IW. I think these guys have tremendous talent and I would love to see what they could do without a corporate giant constantly putting pressure on them.

ShogunX

BobsRevenge said:

I was surprised by WaW to be honest. The online was a bit lackluster seeing as it wasn't as good as COD2 but Nazi Zombies was fucking excellent and the campaign was decent enough too.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
TheThunder said:
You seriously don't get it ?

Sure people don't know who the fuck IW are but they can sure tell if the game is worth their money every year and looking at COD will be on the decline in both quality and sales from this point on.

I do get it, but money talks and all that, the Name Call of Duty itself has become it's own entity, buyers flock to the name (it's like the McDonalds of gaming).. It doesn't matter to kotick who built it up to be that big, he just wants to sustain the juggernaut and get new people at the helm, didn't IW want to work on something else after MW2?... I doubt once the initial handover takes place that the sales will take much of a dip,but as for quality wise who knows (probably)....

Also more Savvy Gamers will vote with their Wallets, the Little Teens etc will rabbidly flock to the digital crack.

Kotick just cares about how best to milk it, I bet this shit was in Planning from the moment he took over.

bahaha did not expect this thread to be so full of win.

the FF/MW cover art on the first page is amazing

edit: reposted for new page

squaremw2.jpg

Interfectum

jufonuk said:
I do get it, but money talks and all that, the Name Call of Duty itself has become it's own entity, buyers flock to the name (it's like the McDonalds of gaming).. It doesn't matter to kotick who built it up to be that big, he just wants to sustain the juggernaut and get new people at the helm... I doubt once initial handover takes place that the sales will take much of a dip, quality wise who knows....

Whatever CoD comes out this fall will sell fine... probably not as good as MW2 but still very good. The problem will arise when another development team makes a game better than Call of Duty and Activision runs CoD into the ground with spin-offs of various quality.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Interfectum said:
Whatever CoD comes out this fall will sell fine... probably not as good as MW2 but still very good. The problem will arise when another development team makes a game better than Call of Duty and Activision runs CoD into the ground with spin-offs of various quality.

Then if Activision can they will buy those devs out or try to sue them for making a game too similar to CoD, also the game could be beter in everyway, but the hype, fanbase etc wil still keep CoD selling.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Interfectum said:
Seems their lawyers should be busy with that one already. :lol

only if a game directly matches sales or threatens the cash cow outright, I dunno I am only theorising here..

It just seems iF Kotick/Activision have done something this dirty to IW, what other stuff are they pull out of the dirty tricks bin?

Cleary Kotick doesn't give a F**k it's all about the bottom line for him.

jufonuk said:
I do get it, but money talks and all that, the Name Call of Duty itself has become it's own entity, buyers flock to the name (it's like the McDonalds of gaming).. It doesn't matter to kotick who built it up to be that big, he just wants to sustain the juggernaut and get new people at the helm, didn't IW want to work on something else after MW2?... I doubt once the initial handover takes place that the sales will take much of a dip,but as for quality wise who knows (probably)....

Also more Savvy Gamers will vote with their Wallets, the Little Teens etc will rabbidly flock to the digital crack.

Kotick just cares about how best to milk it, I bet this shit was in Planning from the moment he took over.
Mmm that's not how things work. If all a company has to do is to get a jackpot with talented people and create a mega franchise. they can't fire the original team and outsource all the sequels and spin offs to China/India to save costs and the people will just continue buying them.

It's already happened with a lot of franchises that went shit and the people stopped buying them like GH, Tony Hawk, Medal of Honor ... etc

Do you know why GTA IV is the fastest selling GTA game but it will never be the highest selling one ?

BobsRevenge

TheThunder said:
Mmm that's not how things work. If all a company has to do is to get a jackpot with talented people and create a mega franchise. they can't fire the original team and outsource all the sequels and spin offs to China/India to save costs and the people will just continue buying them.

It's already happened with a lot of franchises that went shit and the people stopped buying them like GH, Tony Hawk, Medal of Honor ... etc

Do you know why GTA IV is the fastest selling GTA game but it will never be the highest selling one ?
Fuck you, bro.

edit:
water_wendi said:
Rockstar angered the PC gamers by releasing a crappy port job?
What does that mean for IW after they released an overpriced game without dedicated server support?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
TheThunder said:

(this is not meant to be sarcastic)

I do not..please enlighten me.

BobsRevenge said:
I am of the mind that WaW's campaign was better than MW's (in no small part due to co-op). I know that's an unpopular opinion to hold but it's true.

TheThunder said:

hype (aka advertising) but no longevity so ppl borrow it from each other or buy it used

Way to go Acti-Blizz you guys just fucked a great thing up. I'm finally starting to see the original Atari staff shine in Activision :p

ismaboof

The best part is no one will notice until 3 CODs from now.

Treyarch - "It says COD? I'm in!"
Shell of IW - "It's made by the real COD people? I'm in!" "Wait this isn't so hot!"

Activision still stands to make a lot of money.

BobsRevenge said:
Fuck you, bro.

Hey I like MoH. Still remember the first one on the PSX but the series has long past it's good days.

jufonuk said:
(this is not meant to be sarcastic)

I do not..please enlighten me.

Probably because most people thought it was worse than GTA SA.

diztrukted said:
hype (aka advertising) but no longevity so ppl borrow it from each other or buy it used

GTA SA (The highest selling GTA) was already coming out after two 10+ million selling GTA games so it was hyped more than any game that year. It sold faster than any previous GTA and sold more in the long run.

andycapps

diztrukted said:

Could also have something to do with people being tired of the series. *raises hand* And also, installed base being much smaller at time of GTA IV.

TheThunder said:
GTA SA (The highest selling GTA) was already coming out after two 10+ million selling GTA games so it was hyped more than any game that year. It sold faster than any previous GTA and sold more in the long run.

It was also sold on an install base much bigger than the PS3 and Xbox 360 userbase combined.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
TheThunder said:

This but Applied to CoD without IW at the helm.

BobsRevenge

TheThunder said:
Hey I like MoH. Still remember the first one on the PSX but the series has long past it's good days.
Maybe on consoles. MoH:pA was excellent, outside of some fucked up difficulty spikes towards the end, and MoH:A is one of the most satisfyingly replayable FPS games ever made. MoH:A is really underrated imo. The gameplay is pretty unique in the genre.

For some reason I remember the ending to MoH:pA being one of the most satisfying for me ever. Something about the dramatic build-up and difficulty in those last moments.

ronito

GillianSeed79 said:
You really think people outside of Neogaf and game geeks know who makes Call of Duty? I'm ptetty sure Blunt Force Trauma doesn't give a shit. Activision doesn't care. They are content with milking the CoD of franchise until it's no longer profitable.
No. But I do think that if you let all your good people go and make crap games even non-gamers will notice.

See: Sonic.

Zissou

ronito said:
No. But I do think that if you let all your good people go and make crap games even non-gamers will notice.

See: Sonic.

Aren't there are still a million+ idiots who buy each new sonic to fulfill their furry fantasies though?

Akia

Visualante said:
If they're not forming they're own rebel studio (which wouldn't surprise me) Valve should take them.

You think they'd listen to Gabe or actually accept being called Valve South?

BobsRevenge said:
Maybe on consoles. MoH:pA was excellent, outside of some fucked up difficulty spikes towards the end, and MoH:A is one of the most satisfyingly replayable FPS games ever made. MoH:A is really underrated imo. The gameplay is pretty unique in the genre.

Airborne really got the short end of the stick. It's SP really is great and Der Flakturm is one of the best levels in gaming.

Activision doesn't need IW to make a decent Call of Duty game anymore, the formula has been laid out. World at War proves this. What they're really losing here is whatever IW's next non-COD project would have been, but it seems Activision would prefer to just milk COD anyway.

Top Bottom