• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More ZoE sequel "news" from the Kojima Productions blog

mmxzero

Success wise, with some solid marketing to get some recognition for the series, you would think that Konami would be able to tap into the DMC/NG/GoW etc. action fanbase a fair amount for ZoE3. Maybe even MGS:R could provide a good footing depending on how it actually plays. An awesome demo on xblm & psn would probably do a lot as long as they make people aware of it. Though it could be my ZoE2 fandom that makes me think anyone who gets their hands on it will love it :lol . Not sure about what to do to expand beyond regular action fans.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
mmxzero said:
Success wise, with some solid marketing to get some recognition for the series, you would think that Konami would be able to tap into the DMC/NG/GoW etc. action fanbase a fair amount for ZoE3. Maybe even MGS:R could provide a good footing depending on how it actually plays. An awesome demo on xblm & psn would probably do a lot as long as they make people aware of it. Though it could be my ZoE2 fandom that makes me think anyone who gets their hands on it will love it :lol . Not sure about what to do to expand beyond regular action fans.

what ?

ZOE has nothing to do with God of War , Devil May cry or Ninja Gaiden , it's from a completely different genre , Konami should hunt that fanbase for Castlevania Lords of Shadow.

Solune

duckroll said:
For those who need visual aid, here's what the Zone of the Enders franchise consists of:

No Fist of Mars?
Or does no one like that game lol.
Or perhaps it doesn't portray what a ZoE game SHOULD be about?
I liked it though =).

MechaX

Solune said:
No Fist of Mars?
Or does no one like that game lol.
Or perhaps it doesn't portray what a ZoE game SHOULD be about?
I liked it though =).

Fist of Mars was cool, but it was essentially a SRW "knockoff" (I say "knockoff" because the entire alleged Konami-Banpresto conflict is often alluded to on the internet, but not substantiated in the slightest). And since most people are saying a Testament/FoM 2 should go on the DS, I feel as if the DS already has enough of SRPGs.

However, I would take a new installment of ZoE in any form if the game itself is good (and preferably based off of ZOE2's gameplay and story). Although, if a new ZOE game was to be made in this generation, I'm betting we would have a Valkyria Chronicles 2 situation on our hands (ie, 1. handhelds are the way to go, followed by 2. If it sells well, future iterations will... 3a. be put on more handhelds, or 3b. "Have its future on the consoles "looked into.").

Totobeni said:
what ?

ZOE has nothing to do with God of War , Devil May cry or Ninja Gaiden , it's from a completely different genre , Konami should hunt that fanbase for Castlevania Lords of Shadow.
It is a third-person action game with stylish combat, is it not? In that sense it's not really that different from Ninja Gaiden (unless NG2 increased the adventure/exploration elements, I haven't played it yet, except for the demo). DMC and God Of War had some puzzles and a bit of backtracking/exploration, so those aren't quite the same, but I think the NG1 comparisons are not completely out of whack.

Anyway, if they try and market the game as a pure action title, without showing too much of the anime-inspired design, I think they might have a chance with the american public.
MechaX said:
However, I would take a new installment of ZoE in any form if the game itself is good (and preferably based off of ZOE2's gameplay and story). Although, if a new ZOE game was to be made in this generation, I'm betting we would have a Valkyria Chronicles 2 situation on our hands (ie, 1. handhelds are the way to go, followed by 2. If it sells well, future iterations will... 3a. be put on more handhelds, or 3b. "Have its future on the consoles "looked into.").
Hmm... how about a PSP killzone: liberation-like version? A top-down 3D action title, with the same graphical style as the previous games? How well did Liberation do? I know I loved the game, but I'm not sure if that game style is well-received in the handhelds (commercially speaking, of course).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Atrophis said:
Whats the ZOE anime like? Cant really get enough mecha action tbh.
I bought the Delores/Idolo pack a while back.

Idolo is absolutely a must buy for every ZoE fan.

Delores I enjoyed just as much, but it's not going to go over well with fans who are only looking for mecha action. IIRC, there's a lot of comedy sprinkled in, and that will turn off the wrong people.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So basically, same as yesterday. Always have time to remind those fans in a blog that after about 6 or 7 MGS titles, and 6 years. He's still "interested" in it...He just has another 2 MGS titles in the works, and no proof to expect that the next title would be ZOE. No different than Directors or Authors who bring up that sequel/project the fans want. Talk about how they are still so interested in it. Than you get another 3 or 4 years without anything from it. But you get another 2 or 3 projects the fans didn't ask for. And then it's just rinse and repeat all over again with them stating how interested they are in it.

Of course that's jaded me, More salt for the wounds =[

Now the optimistic portion of me says, If we get anything. It'd be likely it would be a PSP title. ZOE2 was not a commercial success, So I doubt a big HD budget is going be given. I could see it squeak out as a smaller budget one on PSP.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Totobeni said:
if Sony can hire some studio to port 3rd party PS2 games to PS3 with their own money I don't think Konami and other publishers will say no to them and will allow many of their PS2 games to get this GOW1/2 remastered treatment , but for now porting games to PS3 costs money , and I don't think publishers see it as profitable yet.

I think porting ZOE2 to the PS3 would help exposing the game awesomeness to the masses of idiots that didn't buy the original one for the PS2, hence fixing the "it didn't sell much" issue. How much would such a port cost anyway?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I pretty much know nothing of anime, but I loved ZoE2. So fast and so beautiful. Goddamns!

shintoki said:
Talk about how they are still so interested in it.

He's not saying that they're interested in it, he's saying that they are going to make it. Which is the first time he's ever committed to something like that. But it's really not possible to do right now. It's believed that Murata is the director of Rising. And if that's the case then that's going to have to be made before anything can happen with ZoE. Unless people want a new ZoE that isn't headed up by him.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Safe Bet said:
..what duckroll said.

Edit:

As for me, I like "anime" until it gets to the point of being silly.

Carrying swords 4x the size of yourself?

No..

Robots with 50 foot long yellow eyebrows?

No...

Edit #2:

Don't get me wrong, I see the artistic appeal but it doesn't lend itself to suspending disbelief imo.

Why do you need to suspend your disbelief to enjoy something?

Personally, I don't like the idea of doing away with the anime elements in ZoE. That is what it's built on: real robot conventions. If we do away with that, why even call it a ZoE sequel? Just make it a new franchise. ZoE, to me, is like an off brand Gundam.

Man what I would do for one. ZoE2 really is one of my favorite games ever.

btw are the anime series any good? I actually bought some of the cheap HK subbed discs back in High school. Pretty much unwatchable because of the horrible subs though. If I could get them sent here I would probably just watch them again without subs. hah

Writing his first of what will probably be a dozen posts today at the Kojima Productions official blog, Kojima said, "The reaction [to the post] was greater than I'd expected. The comments topped the 100 mark, and the access count reached levels of the Tokyo Game Show time. It was picked up in a variety of places, including the net and press, and spread throughout the world."

The biggest surprise for him, though, was the internal reaction at Kojima Productions. When encountering former Anubis staff members on the elevator or around the Tokyo Midtown facility that Konami calls home, he's told, "I read your BLOG. Is it true?" and "When are we going to make Anubis?" and "Please let me take part in it!".

A Mr. Omori, who did 2D work on Metal Gear solid 4 put up an Anubis display at his desk:

16h9fm0.jpg

Kojima's reaction to all this is "Please wait a little more."

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/10/28/kojima_zoe_followup/

eggandI

Banned
ZoE2 is my favorite game ever. Even if ZoE3 does not happen It'd be happy with an upgraded version with added online.

But I really, really want ZoE3. Sucks to hear the game didn't sell that well. All they need to do is keep the ZoE2 style/music, add more weapons maybe some new gameplay elements, keep the difficulty, the fast paced nature of it, add online and try to keep a stable framerate and it'll be perfect :)

hteng

Banned
Idolo is a prequel, the first operational orbital frame and the discovery of metatron. It's a bit short but it's nothing more than a startup for Dolores and origins of orbital frames.

Dolores is also a sequel to Idolo, as the name implied, Dolores is one of the scientists that created Idolo.

Dolores actually runs parrallel to ZOE1, while ZOE1 took place on mars, Dolores took place on earth (most of the time).

Totobeni said:
what ?

ZOE is the same genre. castlevania is not.

batbeg

I'd appreciate a ZoE/2 form of being playable on my PS3 :( I really need to buy a new PS2 one of these days.

That's great to hear even the KP guys got psyched from the blog though :lol They will force him to make it so!

I am not going to get my hopes up until I see what platform it will be released on. Watch it be a fucking PSP game, like the majority of awesome Japanese sequels this gen. It would be a shame for this series to move to portables.

I would rather have Z.O.E 3 be a PS2 or Wii game than a damn PSP game, because we all know we will never see a Z.O.E 3 high budget cel shaded PS3 game.

Johann

B.K. said:
I wonder how they would do Zone of the Enders 3. As far as I can remember, 2 wrapped up everything.

Well, you had the Elena pinky swear with Dingo that Earthlings would never bully the Martians ever again. It wasn't a formal treaty or anything between Earth and Mars. If Fist of Mars is anything to go by, there are still a lot of factions that could become the villain in the next game.

I'm a hug ZoE2 fan but knowing that whatever Kojima works on is going to require a good 3 years makes me glad that it's not his next project right now. I want to see him attempt to make a property as big as MGS and while ZoE is awesome it will never be along those lines.

JapanGAF If you write to the Kojima blog please tell Kojima to have Norihiki Hibino do the soundtrack for ZOE3

I was so disappointed in MGS4 music because it didn't have the Hibino/Gregson Williams combo like it should have.

I want to be busting mech ass with some tight ass tunes playing in the background. Hibino delivered IMO with ZOE2 music. Give him a bigger budget and let him do what he does best, so ZOE3 can be the best it can possibly be.

aerts1js said:
I'd be perfectly fine with a PSP sequel.

Oh hell no! ZOE2 made your eyes bleed rainbows. I want to go into an epileptic seizure for ZOE3

HD ZOE3 PS3 PLZ

Hellion said:
Well maybe if Konomi still sold the game in stores, I would help in buying it.

I thought there was new info you jerk! D:<

But yeah I agree, I only found a used copy of ZOE2 at a store by luck. And no, I don't know who was stupid enough to send the game back.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What a coincidence! I was just playing ZoE2 now! The crate part is still dumb, but I did it in only a few minutes this time. The Vic Viper fight is still really great.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I'd fucking quit gaming if the only sequel we get to ZoE is on PSP.

Just saying.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Totobeni said:
what ?

It actually has a lot to do with that genre. Only difference really is that you're in the air and there's a bigger emphasis on projectiles.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
SnakeXs said:
I'd fucking quit gaming if the only sequel we get to ZoE is on PSP.

Just saying.
I don't get comments like this, would you rather a ZOE on PSP or no ZOE at all? :lol

jett

D-Member
Lafiel said:
I don't get comments like this, would you rather a ZOE on PSP or no ZOE at all? :lol

I'd rather have no ZOE at all. Do it right or just don't fucking do it.

ZoE 2 was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

I still think, and feel bad, about selling my copy. I'd love a PSN version even. Wouldn't like a PSP version. Like others have said, do it right, or don't do it at all.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I think PS4 is a good idea. I mean you'll get some improvement on the PS3, and it will certainly look good (this is Kojima Productions) but you know everyone will want him to completely blow their minds. PS4 will have the chutzpah to do everything they could ever want to do visually with the anime style and more.

SolidSnakex said:
Haha, it's so funny to hear about fanboy-ish excitement among those who make it. "Are we really going to do this?!" Like bored solders who overhear their general talking about blowing some shit up.

P90

I think ZOE would benefit greatly from motion controls. I think the basis of the series, anime and mechs, does not lend itself to the stereotypical 360 crowd. That leaves Sony and/or Nintendo platforms, all four of which would be good avenues. Personally, this is where Nintendo should step to the plate and break out the moneyhats for ZOE: Wii. (And OT, Parasite Eve: Wii).

Fallout-NL said:
ZoE 2 was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

I still think, and feel bad, about selling my copy. I'd love a PSN version even. Wouldn't like a PSP version. Like others have said, do it right, or don't do it at all.

[Guilt mongering] You should feel bad about selling your only copy. [/Guilt mongering]I bought 2 copies for cheap. I made like a 1000% profit on the one and still have my own copy. My recommendation, be slow to sell games you like. Take bets on classics.

Top Bottom