• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Morrowind Overhaul 3.0 Released

Veezy

que?
Hey NeoGAF,

Not sure if everybody's been following this mod at all, but Morrowind Overhaul, a complete sound a graphic overhaul of Morrowind, has very recently been released. I haven't got the chance to try it out too much, but from the trailer and the reviews on moddb.com it looks incredible. This bad boy clocks in at a whopping 1.7 gigs, so go grab a sandwich, some whiskey, get naked, and prepare yourself to step back into Vvardenfell.

See the trailer here.

A few download links, as well as a speedy torrent, here.

And, how about a few screenshots, eh?

1.jpg

11.jpg

16.jpg

As a side note, this contains zero gameplay adjustments. So, if you like to play Morrowind just they way it is, except want an incredibly fresh coat of paint (and whatever the equivalent of sound is), then have a blast. If you're looking for gameplay mods, there's plenty of those high quality products on the Morrowind Nexus. Be forward, I'm pretty sure other graphic/sound mods won't be compatible with this one, but that shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT: The mod includes Morrowind Graphics Extender as well as a ton of other options in the self installer. So, it can actually look better than the above. The set up time is pretty minimal, save for the downloading and installing.

EDIT 2: If you haven't installed Morrowind on a newer PC before, this is a pretty good guide on how to do it. You may want to quit a few steps in, as your goal is to get the game running and this throw this baby on there. So, quit at step six, put this mod on, make sure it runs, then see if you want to go any further. It should work with any other mod so long as they don't adjust graphics or sound.

vidcons

Banned
Love pretty much everything aesthetically related to Morrowind other than the hills.

Bethesda can't do hills.

I tried a previous version of the overhaul and while it is nice, the method of vsync used makes my framerate half from 60 to 30 and I cannot find a way to fix it.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Wow, looks even more gorgeous than the previous revision. Shame these tend to run like a dog because of how they're forced to run. Might clean out my current install and give this a whirl!

Veezy

que?
Do you boot up Morrowind or Skyrim to play this?

Morrowind.

The download is a self installer.

For any problems you might have with the mod, there's a link to a forum put up just for that.

Do you boot up Morrowind or Skyrim to play this?

It's probably compatible with the MGE since that's not a mod, but MGE can act finicky at time with the base game, so who knows?

Call me when mods like these are included.

You can add it yourself.

That impossibly short draw distance...

Those photos don't show it, but the Morrowind Overhaul includes Morrowind Graphics Extender, which allows you to enable nearly infinite view distance.

You can use the console to set your Acrobatics skill to 5000, jump straight up, and take orbital photos of Vvardenfell.

Furio53

Shamefully, I only played about 1 hr of Morrowind... Maybe it's time to delve in?

Anywhere to DD? And should I patch it?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
You can add it yourself.
lol i know that. The point of this mod is to decrease the mod set-up time right? You know how long it takes to get hundreds of outfits to work fine?

edit: im half-joking btw. This is still really cool. i just wish that one Morrowind Total Conversion was translated into English.

Veezy

que?
Those photos don't show it, but the Morrowind Overhaul includes Morrowind Graphics Extender, which allows you to enable nearly infinite view distance.

You can use the console to set your Acrobatics skill to 5000, jump straight up, and take orbital photos of Vvardenfell.

Thanks for that. I'll add it to the OP.

lol i know that. The point of this mod is to decrease the mod set-up time right? You know how long it takes to get hundreds of outfits to work fine?

True. But the point of modding is to spend more time modding than playing the game. So, what's the complaint. ;)

Shamefully, I only played about 1 hr of Morrowind... Maybe it's time to delve in?

Anywhere to DD? And should I patch it?
Yes, it is time. The game does so many things better than Skyrim in the story and freedom department that the game still holds up. And, since Skyrim combat is still pretty clunky compared to most action games, you won't be bothered too much by that.

Steam. You can probably find a cheap set of the GOTY edition online, check Amazon, newegg, etc.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Oh wow. I might just re-install Morrowind to check this out. Awesome work to the ones responsible.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well I bought Morrowind because of this! It's nice to see communities make older games more presentable, and I've always wanted to play this when I was younger but lacked a decent PC or desire to own an Xbox. o:

Is there anyway to turn off the FPS counter?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It's finally out O:

Anyway, any other recommended mods, like say updated character models, etc.?

Thanks for that. I'll add it to the OP.
Here's some pics from prior versions of the Overhaul.

Above the Grazelands
picture.php

From the Prison Ship at Seyda Neen (Vivec and Ministry of Justice visible)
picture.php

View from Ministry of Justice towards Ebonheart
picture.php

Looking towards Balmora (Ghostfence visible in distance)
picture.php

MrBig

I wish some team would get voice acting done for this game, even if it's just a few inexperienced people reading from the scripts. I can't enjoy visual games in which you're forced to be the speaker, completely breaks immersion and enjoyability for me

KuroNeeko

I was waiting for the poster previously known as DennisK4 to come in and save us with screenshots, but looks like he's banned. :(

Ledsen

You should post some better pics, those in the OP aren't even close to doing the mod justice since they don't use MGE...

As a PS3 owner, I've played Skyrim and Oblivion but always had the idea that Morrowind was the best of the three, although I never have played it because of the PS3.

Is Morrowind the best of the three or am I opening a can of worms now?

SparkTR

As a PS3 owner, I've played Skyrim and Oblivion but always had the idea that Morrowind was the best of the three, although I never have played it because of the PS3.

It is. Pretty much any PC can run it these days, get it on a Steam sale or something.

Veezy

que?
The game really looks great with this on my only problem with it is that everyone is pretty ugly. o:
There are a few other mods on the Nexus that can help with that! Although, yes, there's only so much you can do with what you're given.

Opinions are like assholes, but I truly feel that Morrowind is the best of the three. While the combat is better in Skyrim and Oblivion, the reality, and anybody who says otherwise is being disingenuous, the combat is the Elder Scrolls series is never good no matter which one you're playing.

When you compare how unique the world is versus the other two titles and the story, Morrowind really does stand above them.

So what do the NPCs look like? Is the combat still shit?
Both the combat and the NPCs are the same they were, as this is merely updating the graphics and sound (and by merely I mean drastically). There are a few mods out there to help with the NPCs. Here's a solid one for the bodies and as for combat, well, there's a few things to help but you'll have to dig.

You should post some better pics, those in the OP aren't even close to doing the mod justice since they don't use MGE...
Quite true. I'll get a few up when I can, haven't had much time to play today.

Souther

Banned
Looks like steam is having a Elderscrolls sale(33%) for the next 20+ hrs...So now you can get Morrowind for 9.99 and test the overhaul on it. Just went ahead and bought it myself and will test tomorrow. Got Dawnguard as well.

injurai

Banned
Anyway to turn off Depth of Field? It's driving me insane. Also I pretty much went with the default settings for this install, but Morrowind 2011 looked 4-5 times better to me.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm trying to get into this, but the game keeps crashing on me every 10 minutes or so. This Overhaul is the only modification I've made to the game. I've got a fairly modern rig, so I doubt I'm just lacking the power.

What happens is I usually start out with a pretty constant 60fps. Slight dips here and there. Then when I come into a new area, like a town/city, the framerate starts to dip a bit more, like down into the 40's and after that its just inevitable that its about to crash any minute.

Is this game really that demanding? I've got most of the graphics options turned on, Distant Lands and everything, but I don't have it set to some super high draw distance, either. I'm gonna try to change some settings, but I'd like to keep it as nice looking as possible, as its got some fairly ugly aspects to it.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
I remember trying a previous version of this mod and the crazy number of options it had gave me a headache..It is the only way to play Morrowing now though because the game didn't age really well

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Thankfully it was an automated wizard which is loose enough to let you pick stuff but will automate itself in complex settings.

pa22word

Last time I installed this I was getting a silky smooth, baby's ass average 30fps on my 5870 lol. Now that I got my new 780 in, hopefully I'll get some better results >.>

gblues

Banned
I wish there was a way to make the text bigger that didn't completely break the UI. Yes, you can use a tool to generate a new font, but the pane on the right doesn't scale so text gets cut off and illegible.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I'm trying to get into this, but the game keeps crashing on me every 10 minutes or so. This Overhaul is the only modification I've made to the game. I've got a fairly modern rig, so I doubt I'm just lacking the power.

What happens is I usually start out with a pretty constant 60fps. Slight dips here and there. Then when I come into a new area, like a town/city, the framerate starts to dip a bit more, like down into the 40's and after that its just inevitable that its about to crash any minute.

Is this game really that demanding? I've got most of the graphics options turned on, Distant Lands and everything, but I don't have it set to some super high draw distance, either. I'm gonna try to change some settings, but I'd like to keep it as nice looking as possible, as its got some fairly ugly aspects to it.

Hmm. Did you ever figure this out? I've yet to play this mod as I've been waiting for Skywind. From the sounds of it, it might just be that Morrowind is hitting it's limits and the engine is unable to handle all the load in of new assets. Have you tried quicksaving and the quickloading when you feel it starting to bend?

Oemenia

Banned
Looks awesome, meaning to play Morrowind again some time. Two things, does it affect the expansions and two, does it mess much with the original look of the game? I remember even the upgraded textures made me feel uncomfortable, went back to the ones that shipped with the game after a few dozen hours.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hmm. Did you ever figure this out? I've yet to play this mod as I've been waiting for Skywind. From the sounds of it, it might just be that Morrowind is hitting it's limits and the engine is unable to handle all the load in of new assets. Have you tried quicksaving and the quickloading when you feel it starting to bend?
I'll have to give that a go.

Whats really annoying is that when the game crashes, it creates a sound loop that wont go away unless I restart my PC.

I'll mess with a few settings and see if I cant make some progress by quickloading like you suggest. Thanks.

Top Bottom