• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 Breaks 12 Millions Units Sold Worldwide

ethomaz

Banned
Burbank, Calif. – July 26, 2021 – Warner Bros. Games today announced that Mortal Kombat 11, the latest entry in the legendary franchise from award-winning NetherRealm Studios, has sold more than 12 million units worldwide. Since the original Mortal Kombat game launch in 1992, The Mortal Kombat franchise has sold more than 73 million videogame units to date, as well as spawned three theatrical films, animated movies and multiple television series. Additionally, Mortal Kombat Mobile has amassed 138 million installs, with millions of people actively playing Mortal Kombat every day across console and mobile platforms.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Fatality always sells.
fail fat girl GIF

Violence and being appealing to casuals.
As a non fighting games fan Netherrealm fighters are always more appealing to me because they have fun story modes and a decent amount of fun stuff to do besides just playing 1vs1 with friends or online.
I agree, MK has massive appeal to the casuals (story mode and "cool" fatalities/X-Rays moves). Not my cup of tea when it comes to fighting games tho

Last edited:
Seems the T&A was unnecessary for the last 20 years after all
It makes me sad that the developers of MORTAL KOMBAT of all things would turn into prudish church ladies when it comes to sexuality. And none of that applies to the male characters in the game, because of course it doesn't. Not that it couldn't be argued that the characters were a little too sexualized before, but this was a massive over-correction that ended up looking ridiculous in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

YCoCg

I don't get the argument that they've ditched T&A when their old models looked rough and fake af, they always had mannish faces and huge basketball tits. For 11 they've just gone with something more realistically proportioned for most women characters.

Plantoid

Congrats, one of the best fighting games for me (I'm not into fighting games)

The only game I can remember that has a fucking block button, I hate street fighter because of this

BeardGawd

Banned
They are now putting all their efforts towards making a new game which is fine because they have left MK11 in a very good state.
True but it is a bit of a bummer that Cyrax and Sektor (you can play against them in story mode) were never added as DLC. Still so may characters left out. Will be interesting to see what they do with Injustice 3 as they typically preview new features with Injustice and then polish them up for the next mortal kombat.

SSfox

Great game, even tho not perfect but still super great overall and enjoyed it a lot, but i hope they'll remove the moveset customize, i prefer the characters where they were polished to have their own traits and moves like in MK9 and MKX.

carlosrox

Banned
I still want to get this game. Did the next gen version/patch come out??

When I saw the first reveal of the game graphics I was blown away and was like wow this feels like the next gen already. It's absurd how good it looks.

eventualdecline

Neo Member
I don't get the argument that they've ditched T&A when their old models looked rough and fake af, they always had mannish faces and huge basketball tits. For 11 they've just gone with something more realistically proportioned for most women characters.

Bullshit. MK9 which came out 10 years ago, had attractive female characters, with tits and ass everywhere you looked, in all directions. Now there isn’t. The women are all covered up now, aren’t as attractive, etc. SJW femi-nazis strike again. Yeah, let’s just pretend it isn’t happening, and that everything is normal. Great strategy bud.

PS. Maybe you’re referring to MK 10, where they made everyone old. That one doesn’t count. They were already starting to go SJW back then anyway.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Bullshit. MK9 which came out 10 years ago, had attractive female characters, with tits and ass everywhere you looked, in all directions. Now there isn’t. The women are all covered up now, aren’t as attractive, etc. SJW femi-nazis strike again. Yeah, let’s just pretend it isn’t happening, and that everything is normal. Great strategy bud.

PS. Maybe you’re referring to MK 10, where they made everyone old. That one doesn’t count. They were already starting to go SJW back then anyway.
sonya-mk9port.jpg

Last edited:

Marvel

could never
I still want to get this game. Did the next gen version/patch come out??

When I saw the first reveal of the game graphics I was blown away and was like wow this feels like the next gen already. It's absurd how good it looks.
Yeah. But it wasn't great, just a res/loading boost.

Kokoloko85

I use to love MK but as mechanics it doesnt compare well to Tekken, Smash and even Street Fighter.
I do like it for the story mode’s and characters though.

Soodanim

Gold Member
11 is the second I haven't bought, since X decided to keep the best characters dead and bring in some new ones I had no interest in. 11 seemed to largely continue that. Throw on the high total cost given the metric ton of DLC and I've lost interest entirely.

Davey Cakes

I bought it during the Steam sale due to curiosity. I don't really play fighting games but after the movie and all the Kombat love that's been going around I wanted to get in on the action.

Stuart360

Its crazy how huge the fighter genre was in the 16bit and 32bit gens, but today its only really MK that can still pull in huige numbers, while all the other fighters flop, or underperform. Even the old king Street Fighter is a shadow of its old sense (in terms of status, popularity of the SF2 days. Mentioning that before someone puuls out sales figures for SF5 when there are like 3 or 4 times as many gamers today as in SF2's heyday).

Evilms

Banned
1-Mortal Kombat : 73 million
2-Smash Bros : 65 million
3-Tekken : 51 million
4-Street Fighter : 46 million
5-Soulcalibur : 15 million

ReBurn

Gold Member
It sucks that they left test your luck and test your might out of MK 11. The tower matches with the modifiers just aren't the same as test your luck in couch vs mode.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

They really were on to something with the Horror characters and 80's action characters. There is such an amazing opportunity there for it's own franchise. Just in terms of Horror characters, if you could get the characters for those games, the cast would be amazing.

Jason, Freddy, Pinhead, Mike Myers, Ghost Face, Hook guy (last summer), Shocker, Chuck, Pennywise, Leatherface . So many great old movies, the list would be wild, the locations would be great. The supernatural element built in, what they could pull off in sheer violence, blood, and wacky story.

But Mk11, well deserved.

catvonpee

I wonder why they abruptly quit working on content for Mk and what is up for NRS next. I love NRS and Ed Boon so much. Most of my life I've either been playing MK or looking forward to the next one.

e&e

Banned
Just learned it’s now the highest selling fighting game franchise surpassing Smash now! 😮

Well deserved!

Consequently learned how Capcom mismanaged Street Fighter that even Tekken franchise outsold it…

Last edited:
They are now putting all their efforts towards making a new game which is fine because they have left MK11 in a very good state.
Not even close... Community was asking for content about 7 months ago, and need a balance patch now too.

It was already slightly ahead of Smash when the X 11 million news came out, MK11 sold more than that in less than 2 years, with more deals, sales overtime it will hit 15 million easily, it's 20 million that's debatable.

But MK has always been about content and story since MK4 and was only rivaled by Tekken the last 20 years. Or Smash if you count that. It was inevitable when games got bigger and better looking Make advantages would translate to higher sales.

Tekken, Dragonball and SF benefitted from a long gen extended by refreshes. If this gen ended in 2016 or 17 it would have been a bloodbath, we probably wouldn't see a SF6 for 10 years. Honestly this gen was bad for fighters and in the last half there's barely been anything new to grab players, that's why almost all the earlier releases gained. We are now almost a year into the next generation and there's basically nothing relevant in the genre to speak of.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Worst MKsince it's rebirth in 2011. Gear is terrible, animations are stiff as fuck, the game is not well optimized on PC and it has no crosspñay between. PC and consoles.

Since they started with the loot box trash, skins have been terrible. MK10 was great regarding online content and MK9 the best game by far.

kiryani

Worst MKsince it's rebirth in 2011. Gear is terrible, animations are stiff as fuck, the game is not well optimized on PC and it has no crosspñay between. PC and consoles.

Since they started with the loot box trash, skins have been terrible. MK10 was great regarding online content and MK9 the best game by far.

Alexa, show me an absolutely horrendous and probably made up for for attention, take.

Top Bottom