• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 IOTI Rip out your beating heart!

CloudSolace

Finished the story in one single gaming session last night. Loved every second of it. It was way better than MKX's story.

alife

Eh, not a fan of the frame data change and new input delay. Corner juggles/combos are harder to execute now after the PC patch because of the annoying pause characters do when the opponent is falling (e.g, Kitana's fan lift into high kick and fan toss. Same with Cassie Cage, can no longer juggle with low punch as smoothly). Haven't tried online matches yet but hopefully there will be fewer desyncs than previously.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just spent 3 hour trying to do that Damn Scorpion tower and the game flat out cheats when you get him almost dead. Whole screen just goes up in flames and hurts you but not him.

Come the fuck on.

CloudSolace

Just spent 3 hour trying to do that Damn Scorpion tower and the game flat out cheats when you get him almost dead. Whole screen just goes up in flames and hurts you but not him.

Come the fuck on.

Sounds like crap. I am not looking forward to doing that myself.

Last edited:
If you guys want to advance in the Krypt, there is a new glitch currently not patched yet so take advantage unless you want to grind for months. Next to the big Goro lair gates there are head sculptures of all 25 players. Basically you need to do a Fatality on each character 50! times and its only applicable in the Towers section. You will run into the same character in 4 towers maybe twice if you are lucky so as you can see it can take ages.

The glitch is, stand straight in front of the head you want to get chest points from, its gonna say "locked". Quit to main menu and press X (ps4) to select Krypt again. Dont let go, keep holding that X the whole time. While holding X just walk up to the same statue you quit in front of and the character will automatically impale their head on the spear. Now do this 24 more times in front of different heads. It took me less than 30 minutes and you open 3 new sections of the Krypt. Otherwise you would of have to do 1250 Fatalities on your own and hope you get to fight the character you really need the unlock for.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
Eh, not a fan of the frame data change and new input delay. Corner juggles/combos are harder to execute now after the PC patch because of the annoying pause characters do when the opponent is falling (e.g, Kitana's fan lift into high kick and fan toss. Same with Cassie Cage, can no longer juggle with low punch as smoothly). Haven't tried online matches yet but hopefully there will be fewer desyncs than previously.
This is exactly why I've spent the last week just farming AI shit rather than actually playing. I didn't want to get used to stuff I knew was going to be changed.

If you guys want to advance in the Krypt, there is a new glitch currently not patched yet so take advantage unless you want to grind for months. Next to the big Goro lair gates there are head sculptures of all 25 players. Basically you need to do a Fatality on each character 50! times and its only applicable in the Towers section. You will run into the same character in 4 towers maybe twice if you are lucky so as you can see it can take ages.

The glitch is, stand straight in front of the head you want to get chest points from, its gonna say "locked". Quit to main menu and press X (ps4) to select Krypt again. Dont let go, keep holding that X the whole time. While holding X just walk up to the same statue you quit in front of and the character will automatically impale their head on the spear. Now do this 24 more times in front of different heads. It took me less than 30 minutes and you open 3 new sections of the Krypt. Otherwise you would of have to do 1250 Fatalities on your own and hope you get to fight the character you really need the unlock for.
It is easier than that.

Go to the courtyard with the heads. Quit the Krypt. Enter the krypt and when you are in, hold X until you are facing one of the heads. Boom, glitched!

Don't know, why nobody cleared up, that you don't have to do all the stuff mentioned above.

Just load in, then (!) hold X, walk up to a head, profit!

Last edited:

Acidizer

Banned
The quality of the cut scenes is excellent. Doesn't feel wooden like in just about every game I can imagine including Uncharted.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The quality of the cut scenes is excellent. Doesn't feel wooden like in just about every game I can imagine including Uncharted.

Rhonda Rousey's voice acting is wooden but yea I agree its masterfully done. This story mode is going to age damn well.

CD'S BAR

It is easier than that.

Go to the courtyard with the heads. Quit the Krypt. Enter the krypt and when you are in, hold X until you are facing one of the heads. Boom, glitched!

Don't know, why nobody cleared up, that you don't have to do all the stuff mentioned above.

Just load in, then (!) hold X, walk up to a head, profit!
badass glitch. thanks for posting.

Ok well soon enough I figured its not only the head glitch. The same way you can unlock any gate that requires an amulet or special key, including the ones that require a skeleton key. Depending where you are on the map you will respawn at different spots so if you want to start unlocking gates in Goros lair,make sure you first get down there and then quit.

Use the sam "press n hold X" when selecting Krypt and walk to any door you wish to open,even the ones with 3 different requirements. It just means ull have to do it 3 times. This however doesnt work on chests but hey...ull be saving a ton of cash and souls by not having to open these doors the proper way. One for example requires 10K souls....why waste it on an amulet when u can keep it and unlock 100 soul skelletons with it ;)

Ok well soon enough I figured its not only the head glitch. The same way you can unlock any gate that requires an amulet or special key, including the ones that require a skeleton key. Depending where you are on the map you will respawn at different spots so if you want to start unlocking gates in Goros lair,make sure you first get down there and then quit.

Use the sam "press n hold X" when selecting Krypt and walk to any door you wish to open,even the ones with 3 different requirements. It just means ull have to do it 3 times. This however doesnt work on chests but hey...ull be saving a ton of cash and souls by not having to open these doors the proper way. One for example requires 10K souls....why waste it on an amulet when u can keep it and unlock 100 soul skelletons with it ;)
Holy Moley, just tried it with chests not with doors. This is awesome! Fuck le grind!

Nymphae

Banned

I was thinking about buying the game this week. Kinda reaally want to now so I can do this kind of shit before it is patched out....

I was thinking about buying the game this week. Kinda reaally want to now so I can do this kind of shit before it is patched out....

The game itself is amazing. Too much talk about outfits and microtransactions but seriously, its such a fluid fighter and story mode is awesome. Miles better than MKX.

Nymphae

Banned
The game itself is amazing. Too much talk about outfits and microtransactions but seriously, its such a fluid fighter and story mode is awesome. Miles better than MKX.

I'm a SF guy, I've been watching streams this week and it still looks like it has that NRS feeling...but it looks fun as hell regardless. Might see if I can snag a copy off a local classified site for cheaper.

I'm a SF guy, I've been watching streams this week and it still looks like it has that NRS feeling...but it looks fun as hell regardless. Might see if I can snag a copy off a local classified site for cheaper.

It's definitely still an NRS game through and through but once you get used to the flow and the feel of universal input delay it's pretty fun. I didn't like MKX and dropped it pretty quick after doing all the SP content but I'm enjoying the gameplay in this one much more so far. Balance is kinda whack and cheap play is super effective but that's practically every NRS game. ;)

Right now im really enjoying the Towers where you are trying to beat a character with another 2 online players.

So far I had no one with a mic but its fun to watch the teamwork as you one by one try to damage this one guy as much as you can while the waiting players are trying to help you by sending augments and power ups.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

The towers are a little too easy now. Gonna set enemies to Hard.

Right now im really enjoying the Towers where you are trying to beat a character with another 2 online players.

So far I had no one with a mic but its fun to watch the teamwork as you one by one try to damage this one guy as much as you can while the waiting players are trying to help you by sending augments and power ups.

Haven't tried one of those. Sounds fuggin awesome.

What is the appeal of the fatalities? Isn't this a degradation of the human soul? I swear these modern video games will be the downfall of us all!

Nickolaidas

What is the appeal of the fatalities? Isn't this a degradation of the human soul? I swear these modern video games will be the downfall of us all!
Fatalities have been Mortal Kombat's 'thing' for the past … oh, I don't know ... THIRTY YEARS?

Last edited:
The plot around the characters and as well as the development was fine.

I was not a fan however of the JRPG-esque plot that was the time traveling-freezing bullshit.

For one we once again have the Elder gods die off screen without really seeing who they are. Kronika herself is apparently not an Elder God, but her son and daughter are/were. Issue is, people were expecting a showoff between dark Raiden and dark Liu Kang, the return of the Dragon King, who killed the Elder gods in the original timeline, and maybe actually getting to see the Elder Gods.

Instead the main bad guys in the game is a henchmen who is a fixed point in time with Dragon ball Z sayain revival powers, where every time he comes back he's stronger, a whining underdeveloped pansy that wants to please her mother, and the easiest final boss fight in a Mortal Kombat game.

Also while cool in concept, Fire Lord Liu Kang is complete narrative BS.

But as I said, once again, in two timelines, the Elder Gods die "off screen" first by the Dragon King, and now by time plot convenience. We had some characters just walk out of the story after the half-way point, and several plot threads were never resolved because the last part of the game technically has the bad guy winning anyway erasing the current timeline, just you forge the new era instead of her.

It is clearly the better playing and better looking game to X, but that story becomes worse and worse the more you think about it or start asking questions.

I would have liked to see them bring Konquest mode back. Considering Boon wants to work on other genres than fighting, even though he could have already done that since WB owns like most of Midways IP library, this would have prepared him to create an RPG, since Konquest would work like an RPG where the battles are the fighting system.

Speaking of which, since MK9 we have had three games in the same 3 realms, Outworld, Earthrealm, Neatherealm. We haven't seen the other 5 realms across the whole three game time trilogy.

I'd like to see Edenia, or even a modern take on the realm of Chaos.

Now they wrote themself in another corner and have to reboot AGAIN.

Nickolaidas

The plot around the characters and as well as the development was fine.

I was not a fan however of the JRPG-esque plot that was the time traveling-freezing bullshit.

For one we once again have the Elder gods die off screen without really seeing who they are. Kronika herself is apparently not an Elder God, but her son and daughter are/were. Issue is, people were expecting a showoff between dark Raiden and dark Liu Kang, the return of the Dragon King, who killed the Elder gods in the original timeline, and maybe actually getting to see the Elder Gods.

Instead the main bad guys in the game is a henchmen who is a fixed point in time with Dragon ball Z sayain revival powers, where every time he comes back he's stronger, a whining underdeveloped pansy that wants to please her mother, and the easiest final boss fight in a Mortal Kombat game.

Also while cool in concept, Fire Lord Liu Kang is complete narrative BS.

But as I said, once again, in two timelines, the Elder Gods die "off screen" first by the Dragon King, and now by time plot convenience. We had some characters just walk out of the story after the half-way point, and several plot threads were never resolved because the last part of the game technically has the bad guy winning anyway erasing the current timeline, just you forge the new era instead of her.

It is clearly the better playing and better looking game to X, but that story becomes worse and worse the more you think about it or start asking questions.

I would have liked to see them bring Konquest mode back. Considering Boon wants to work on other genres than fighting, even though he could have already done that since WB owns like most of Midways IP library, this would have prepared him to create an RPG, since Konquest would work like an RPG where the battles are the fighting system.

Speaking of which, since MK9 we have had three games in the same 3 realms, Outworld, Earthrealm, Neatherealm. We haven't seen the other 5 realms across the whole three game time trilogy.

I'd like to see Edenia, or even a modern take on the realm of Chaos.

Now they wrote themself in another corner and have to reboot AGAIN.
I think the worst mistake was the twenty-year time gap in order to bring the Kombat kids. It messed everything up. It would've been preferable (if NRS was dying to have them as characters) to have them teleport from the future ala Terminator/DC and find the heroes to help them against Shinnok. Instead what happens in MKX is a mess, with half of the cast aging, the other half not aging. MK11 couldn't undo that, so they reboot.

NRS needs to understand that it's not necessary to take the comic book 'event' route. Not every MK entry needs to shake the status quo and leave us hanging for answers. Focus on telling a complete, coherent story without half of the cast dying on every single entry. SIndel killing 90% of the roster was where the story started going downhill - everything was perfect up to that spot.

But I thoroughly enjoyed MK11 - I dare say, even more than MK9 - in both gameplay, graphics, presentation and story. The only thing I want now is to find out that the 19 DLC characters/3 Kombat Packs leak will end up becoming a reality.

I think the worst mistake was the twenty-year time gap in order to bring the Kombat kids. It messed everything up. It would've been preferable (if NRS was dying to have them as characters) to have them teleport from the future ala Terminator/DC and find the heroes to help them against Shinnok. Instead what happens in MKX is a mess, with half of the cast aging, the other half not aging. MK11 couldn't undo that, so they reboot.

NRS needs to understand that it's not necessary to take the comic book 'event' route. Not every MK entry needs to shake the status quo and leave us hanging for answers. Focus on telling a complete, coherent story without half of the cast dying on every single entry. SIndel killing 90% of the roster was where the story started going downhill - everything was perfect up to that spot.

But I thoroughly enjoyed MK11 - I dare say, even more than MK9 - in both gameplay, graphics, presentation and story. The only thing I want now is to find out that the 19 DLC characters/3 Kombat Packs leak will end up becoming a reality.

The issue with MK9 is that MKX basically was written to retcon it slightly by bringing back the dead characters as enemies. So this made the Kombat kids pointless because they were too scared to go through with it anyway. Not to mention too much story focus on cage.

They could have saved MKX's storyline if they had the Dark Raiden/Liu Kang showdown that brought the rest of the dark versions back to normal and then maybe had some time skip to that missing 20 years or so.

Or maybe actually getting the Elder Gods involved instead of having 11 kill them off screen for the second time.

My biggest problem with 11 was they also had the need to have everyones past selves work with the future selves, which was added for no reason that was beneficial to the story. It just made thing really strange,just like that quickly dropped plot point of young Sonya (who got a huge personality and visual change to look like Cassie) accusing Cassie of letting her older self die.

It is no wonder why they basically had Korika actually partially win by erasing all the evens of the last 3 games in the last fight. They basically have to retell MK1-3 again. The time travel trilogy had characters that shouldn't have been impacted never show up, we only had 3 realms ever explored, and we ended up with a big mess of new characters, half of which aren't even relevant in MK11.

I'm assuming they will keep the MK1-3 story similar to the original timeline with a few edits, then possibly start the next game off either at 4 going into V since we already did Shinock in MKX and the start of MK11. Onaga and Shujinku should still be things going on in the background of those games.

Nickolaidas

The issue with MK9 is that MKX basically was written to retcon it slightly by bringing back the dead characters as enemies. So this made the Kombat kids pointless because they were too scared to go through with it anyway. Not to mention too much story focus on cage.

They could have saved MKX's storyline if they had the Dark Raiden/Liu Kang showdown that brought the rest of the dark versions back to normal and then maybe had some time skip to that missing 20 years or so.

Or maybe actually getting the Elder Gods involved instead of having 11 kill them off screen for the second time.

My biggest problem with 11 was they also had the need to have everyones past selves work with the future selves, which was added for no reason that was beneficial to the story. It just made thing really strange,just like that quickly dropped plot point of young Sonya (who got a huge personality and visual change to look like Cassie) accusing Cassie of letting her older self die.

It is no wonder why they basically had Korika actually partially win by erasing all the evens of the last 3 games in the last fight. They basically have to retell MK1-3 again. The time travel trilogy had characters that shouldn't have been impacted never show up, we only had 3 realms ever explored, and we ended up with a big mess of new characters, half of which aren't even relevant in MK11.

I'm assuming they will keep the MK1-3 story similar to the original timeline with a few edits, then possibly start the next game off either at 4 going into V since we already did Shinock in MKX and the start of MK11. Onaga and Shujinku should still be things going on in the background of those games.
I'm not so sure that we'll have yet again a retelling of 1-3. People will (rightfully) accuse them of pulling an MK9 all over again. Perhaps Kronika's influence was what caused most past events and without her, history will evolve in a completely new and original manner. We'll see.

I'm not so sure that we'll have yet again a retelling of 1-3. People will (rightfully) accuse them of pulling an MK9 all over again. Perhaps Kronika's influence was what caused most past events and without her, history will evolve in a completely new and original manner. We'll see.

That's not a perhaps question, MK9 is when Raiden first was revealed to break the rules for time. The original timeline for the most part has nothing to do with Kronika, whom btw, is apparently not an Elder God.

Since everyone was erased by the end of the game they will have to retell MK1-3 again, they don't have to center the whole next game on MK1-3, but there has to be some cutscenes explaining events to the point where MK12 starts. Remember, the MK9-MK11 timeline was erased.

What I suspect will happen is as I say, they will likely start the game in the middle of 4 and go into V. That way we are still in the era we should be in without starting completely over, as the Shinnock was the most recent event, and Onaga (which should have been in MK11 since he should have killed the Elder Gods by this time, plot hole) should be the main badguy of the next game, and maybe we will actually get more than 3 realms.

Sub_Level

All I know is that Shinnok doesn't need to be brought back. MK4 was already enough. MKX trying to make him more threatening only solidified how much a joke villain he is. And in 11 he literally is a joke lol

For MK12 I vote for a more intimate small scale story. Like, I dunno, a mortal kombat tournament.

All I know is that Shinnok doesn't need to be brought back. MK4 was already enough. MKX trying to make him more threatening only solidified how much a joke villain he is. And in 11 he literally is a joke lol

For MK12 I vote for a more intimate small scale story. Like, I dunno, a mortal kombat tournament.

I don't know what you mean by small scale. Even the first game went a bit beyond just a tournament.

The reason why MK9-11 is such a story mess is because they wrote themselves into a corner with 9, and tried to fix it with 10 while also trying to pass off a new generation of badly written characters and making a whole story focusing on Shinnock ending the game on a cliff hanger that's ignore in MK11 for some time freeze plot that erases all 3 games at the end.

A lot of people forget Netherealm isn't a new studio, it's the off-shoot of the now defunct Midway. MK has had stories in its games compared to all other fighters from game 1, with cutscenes starting with MK4.

This is the first time in the series where the story has ever been this convoluted, confusing, and inconsistent. It feels like what happened with Ratchet and Clank, too much money came in and they tried to hard to make a super epic, and kept trying to write over mistakes.

In that regard I actually do think that starting over again was the best decision, but it was something they could have avoided in the first place to be honest.

makaveli60

Does anyone know how the AI battle skin rewards work? I want to get the OG Ninja Scorpion skin and it says it's an AI battle reward. So how do I unlock it exactly? I just start those online AI battles and wait for my luck? How many matches to win, etc.?

waylo

Banned
Does anyone know how the AI battle skin rewards work? I want to get the OG Ninja Scorpion skin and it says it's an AI battle reward. So how do I unlock it exactly? I just start those online AI battles and wait for my luck? How many matches to win, etc.?
Pretty sure all those unlocks are just RNG. Just do your daily five matches and daily five defenses in AI and it should pop up at some point.

Nymphae

Banned
More light on how NRS treated it’s workers. That CEO meeting sounded awful.

It's a good read and I do think this is an issue with the industry. But my god there are so many things in there that are unsubstantiated and I can see how they would be exaggerated for the story effect.

"We'd be there all day, we'd hardly see the sunlight sometimes, you'll be going home really late and that can be kind of dangerous depending on where you live in the city."

Like give me a fucking break already, shitty crunch is one thing, but I'm supposed to give a shit that it you have to leave a place late at night in a bad part of the city?

Another source said that the "lowest tier of contractor employees were put in the same windowless room," a box-like, renovated garage that was often filled to the brim with temp workers.

I feel like they're trying to paint this sweatshop like image here, and I just have trouble imagining a bunch of QA testers packed like sardines in a renovated garage. It's probably not luxurious sure, but then again it's an entry level QA position.

Last edited:
Still waiting for sales. All they have to do is announce sales of 2.5 million or more to beat Tekken for best selling fighting franchise.

Nymphae

Banned
I just heard on an older episode of the Eventhubs podcast that the Krypt and Tower of time stuff have controller requirements that are not possible on a joystick, namely use of analog sticks. Has this been addressed at all? Would kind of like to use my stick of I get this, but I don't really want to switch between two controllers while playing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom