• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 - LETS GET HYPED

Melubas

Did they fix the animations? I will probably still get it but it always bugs me that the games could be so much cooler and better if they just did that.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

This is misdirection. Some fans are saying this is actually a CHAMELEON/KAMELEON tease, not a Reptile tease.

1. Chameleon is implied to be of the same race as Reptile.
2. Chameleon had that same turquoise-ish color scheme in Armageddon.

hecatomb

Banned
I just want
latest

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Did they fix the animations? I will probably still get it but it always bugs me that the games could be so much cooler and better if they just did that.
The stiff upright look is probably going to forever be an iconic stylistic choice for the franchise because it has connections to visual identification of game mechanics and flow, like KOF's distinct animations.

MDSLKTR

Why can’t they get Dan Forden to do the soundtrack. Old school MK soundtracks were unique and amazing.
Netherealm games music is really lacking. Every other fighter has them beat, imagine if it had the hype of tekken or killer instinct tunes... it would be over.

Nymphae

Banned
Netherealm games music is really lacking. Every other fighter has them beat, imagine if it had the hype of tekken or killer instinct tunes... it would be over.

Which is funny considering they are responsible for what is likely the most well know fighting game related music track ever:

kunonabi

If they changed their terrible Animation and reverted their art direction to MK9 sexy and goofy style, I'll get it.

But no thanks if it's just another uncanny valley copy/paste Injuste game with a Mortal Kombat Skin.

Yeah I just cant get into the whole middle aged cosplayer aesthetic that they've been going with for the last few games. This is probably a pass for me especially since I didn't like most of the new cast in X.

hecatomb

Banned
Well this new character is made around time travel, so that means some of the characters that were killed could come back
mortal-kombat-11-hourglass-woman.jpg.optimal.jpg

KINDERFELD

Banned
I'll get hyped when an actual gameplay video is shown that has considerable graphical improvements over the previous game.

Raynes

The biggest problem I have with the series are those absolute garbage new characters from MK10. Literally all of them suck ass and put me off the series. Also the shithole Warner Bros horror characters that are shoe-horned in, they don't fucking fit, just say no to WB fucks sake. Get rid of the new MK10 and WB characters and I'll be down. Give us back the classics like Reiko, Fujin, Kabal, Motaro, Rain, Shinnok + all MK9 characters. Netherealm clearly must have lost the talent that came up with the original cast from the retro era, and now they keep giving us uninspired garbage. No one wants Jax's and Cage's dead weight offspring or some random ass bee woman.

Last edited:
Not going to lie. I play mortal kombat for the story and it X was anything go off.. I do not have high hopes. Worst new characters in the franchise yet.

Inspector Q

What sucks is that Kotal Kahn was a pretty promising character from the comic storyline that was released prior to MKX. He seemed like a pretty honorable, yet badass, character which would have been a different take on Outworld leadership.

Then the game rolls around and he proceeds to get disgraced in his own Town Square by Kung Jin in front of his own people. By the end of story mode, he seems like a cowardly snake of a character. Not at all similar to his comic counterpart.

I still like his design, though. Also didn't mind D'Vorah's design either. As for the "Kombat Kids", I wasn't a huge fan, unfortunately. I don't hate them like others do, but I feel that 3 of the 4 are pretty lame designs.

Anyway, they definitely need to work on the writing aspect of story mode. The chapter system seems like a pretty rigid system to tell a story, though. Maybe it could work if they had more NPC goons to fight so you weren't constantly jobbing out the main roster characters. NPCs like "Black Dragon Thug" or "Tarkatan Warrior" that had limited move sets, for example. This will make the fights against actual roster members more special, at least. So maybe, instead of shitting on Kotal Kahn in his own town square, maybe we could have been shitting on some random "Royal Guardsman" or some crap.

As for these new character models, they are looking pretty nice. Not a huge fan of all the metal armor pieces on Scorpion, but if the gear system is truly in, that won't be a problem, as we should have tons of options.

The biggest problem I have with the series are those absolute garbage new characters from MK10. Literally all of them suck ass and put me off the series. Also the shithole Warner Bros horror characters that are shoe-horned in, they don't fucking fit, just say no to WB fucks sake. Get rid of the new MK10 and WB characters and I'll be down. Give us back the classics like Reiko, Fujin, Kabal, Motaro, Rain, Shinnok + all MK9 characters. Netherealm clearly must have lost the talent that came up with the original cast from the retro era, and now they keep giving us uninspired garbage. No one wants Jax's and Cage's dead weight offspring or some random ass bee woman.

I also hate the guest characters, but I did think Cassie, D'Vorah, and Ferra Torr fit in quite well. Takeda and Kotal work. The rest are terrible; especially Erron Black. I didn't even think Tanya or Tremor worked that well.

Raynes

I also hate the guest characters, but I did think Cassie, D'Vorah, and Ferra Torr fit in quite well. Takeda and Kotal work. The rest are terrible; especially Erron Black. I didn't even think Tanya or Tremor worked that well.

Tanya has actually been around since MK4, I thought she fits in really well.

Buki1

Give us back the classics like Reiko, Fujin, Kabal, Motaro, Rain, Shinnok .

Those are not classic characters, except Kabal and Motaro, who is a boss character not a regular fighter. Any day I would take D'vorah, Cassie and Ferra/Torr over lame ass design era characters like Kobra, Reiko, Hsu Hao, Dairou, Asrah, Taven, Darrius, Fujin, Rain or basicly most of the fighters added when MK series was at it's worst - that means MK4 to MK8: Armageddon.

Raynes

Those are not classic characters, except Kabal and Motaro, who is a boss character not a regular fighter. Any day I would take D'vorah, Cassie and Ferra/Torr over lame ass design era characters like Kobra, Reiko, Hsu Hao, Dairou, Asrah, Taven, Darrius, Fujin, Rain or basicly most of the fighters added when MK series was at it's worst - that means MK4 to MK8: Armageddon.

On what are you basing that on?

Reiko - MK4
Fujin - MK4
Rain - Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Shinnok - MK4

Anyone who has been around since the 90s is a classic character. And there is a certain aesthetic associated with those 90s characters that is lost from MK game onwards.
And so what if Motaro was a boss character?

Last edited:
Tanya has actually been around since MK4, I thought she fits in really well.

Yeah, I know Tanya was in MK4, I think I was just thinking about the DLC characters since we brought up guest characters. I just felt her playstyle was incredibly generic compared to everyone else.

dirthead

Banned

It's not like it's even the same company anymore. Companies are just made up of people and most of the people who made MK3 are either gone or are now in management roles and don't really get in the trenches on the game anyway.

Buki1

Anyone who has been around since the 90s is a classic character. And there is a certain aesthetic associated with those 90s characters that is lost from MK game onwards.

Classic characters - characters from the 2d era. There was a shift in design since MK4, subpar uninspired and boring designs like Kai, Reiko, Meat, Jarek cannot be seen as classic characters. Shinnok also should be ditched long time ago, that clown looked like he belongs to Power Rangers universe not Mortal Kombat.

Helios

I always love the time before a new MK release just to see what kind of shenanigans Ed Boon gets away with.

The Ronda Rousey as Sonya rumour is shaping up to be true.

They rumoured her as the voice but I wonder if they'll model the character after her as well.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Gold Member
excited! I want to see if they announce a collectors edition. Still have the mkx one, awesome scorpion statue.

Needs Darius, Hotaru, and Kobra and we'll be all set.

But they'll likely be included anyway since we already had MK4 and skipping Deadly Alliance so we are basically going straight to Deception.

Just make sure unlike X there is a longer story with more than like 8 battle arenas reused 5 times. Also since styles are back bring back Deceptions instant switch, just don't bring back multi-style combos.

Top Bottom