• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 11 might be one of the most frustrating games of the generation

After watching the movie I decided to jump back into MK11 after having put it down not long after release to play other games. The actual fighting is great and the game is just slick as hell with its presentation. I suck at fighters so I'm sure that some expert will tell me how unbalanced the game is but I'm having a lot of fun playing it. The idea of leveling up gear seems like it would be a balancing issue but I have no intentions of playing online so it doesnt matter much to me.

What does matter to me is the fucking grind-a-thon that this game is to unlock anything of value. The krypt used to be kind of a fun way to unlock everything and there was only 1 or two currencies you had to worry about....now there are 3 just in the krypt and more outside of it (time krystals). Everything of any real value costs hearts, which are handed out in such a fucking stingy manner that its laughable. A fight might net you 3 hearts but to open 1 fucking chest costs a minimum of 100 and most are 250. Sure you can set mods to your characters to net a whopping 10 hearts per fight but this is a fucking joke. I see you can get more with the towers of time but even those seem to only get you 50 or so upon completion. If you google search for MK11 there are dozens of articles talking about how to "farm" for currencies...why does a full priced fighter require you to "farm" for anything? Why does every single game seem to take the absolute shittiest systems from MMOs and overlay them on their game?

I would be less upset if it was just color swaps or something hidden behind this grind but there are character fatalities and shit stuck in these chests that it doesn't seem you can unlock without opening them.

I cant remember the last time a game with gameplay this good was saddled with so much horseshit around it. Old man yelling at clouds but one of the worst things to come of recent gens is this overwhelming desire from publishers and devs creating their games to require 100s of hours to unlock everything in it. I get why they do it but its fucking awful. Not every game needs some lengthy progression system.

Just_one

I had the same itch after seeing the movie and im back into it , im not gonna platinum it (250 towers is just too much as an example)

everything can be unlockable if you know the input (speaking of fatalities and brutalities) the rest is just cosmetic stuff

NRS animations are top notch

X6DxdFm.jpg

MiguelItUp

It's really sad because I personally feel like MK has declined since 9. 9 was the best MK I've played in a long, long time. It was probably the most fluid and less stiff MK I've played. X became more stiff, did the weird "stance selection" thing, that I wasn't a fan of. 11, felt a bit better in some ways, but worse in others. I'm not sure where they'll go next, but I really hope they do something that feels more like 9. If not even more so.

SkylineRKR

KI is my fave 2D fighter of recent times. SamSho I bought on sale on Xbox, is also good.

MK9 was awesome, but couldn't get into MKX and its teen squad much. MKXI I quickly sold off because of mentioned grinds. XL I skipped but I would probably like it better than XI.

Valt7786

I'd honestly be super happy if they just did a massive reboot again and go back to MK 9 style. Change up the story in some parts sure, but just do the 3 "Tournaments" again. Then with the time-travel nonsense turn it into a never ending loop. I'd love seeing those events over time with improving graphical quality etc.

Injustice 2 was grindy as hell too. They just had to go and start adding Fee-To-Play unlocks in their games, probably to appease shareholders or some shit.

MK9 made me a fan of NRS, but they haven’t really topped that in terms of character selection and gameplay. MKX was fun but lacked a lot of fan favorites, 11 has the characters, but the custom move sets aren’t tournament legal so it feels like a squandered opportunity. Plus the new preset variations and move sets feel like a step down from MKX. Also I really don’t care for 90% of the guest characters from movies they have. I liked Predator and Spawn, but could do without the rest.

Also from my experience the competitive NRS community is one of the worst in the FGC. It has hands down the most constant bitching about nerfs/buffs and players being entitled.

I bought MK11 when it came out knowing I’d probably just go back to playing 3rd Strike or KI 2013, then wait for the “Komplete Edition” dlc to go on a deep sale sometime later.

Last edited:
If it's not grindy enough, the kids wont buy the microtransactions to speed it up.

This is the weird thing. As far as I can tell, you cannot buy souls or hearts, which are the biggest pain in the ass grind a thong currencies. My guess is that it was so people would be playing this game for a long ass time so they would dump money on the season passes.

Antwix

... but there are character fatalities and shit stuck in these chests that it doesn't seem you can unlock without opening them.
I believe you can use fatalities without "unlocking" them if you know the command. You'd have to look it up though. But yeah, something like brutalities are in fact locked and you need to get them in the krypt. The krypt used to be fun like you said, but their implementation of it nowadays is awful. Everything is completely random which is OK in theory but locking actual gameplay mechanics in there is terrible. All of this wouldn't be TOO bad if the currencies were given out in a decent manner or if the chests were cheaper. Plus they block off places in the krypt behind insane amounts of currency/souls. It's too bad cuz it is a pretty damn fun game at its core.

I just got to a part in the Krypt where you need a chingas to solve a puzzle and the thing is in a chest that cost 10 fucking thousand souls...a currency that you get maybe 15 of with each win. Without mods to boost your earnings thats 667 wins required to gather that much.

Some additional quick math:

Say each fight last 4 minutes each and that you win every single match. That would take almost 45.5 hours to earn enough souls for this one fucking item to solve one fucking puzzle. One of the other items required for this puzzle unlocks when you perform a fatality on one fighter 50 TIMES.

So going with the same math as before, each fight taking 4 minutes and without ever losing it would take over 3 hours for the other item needed.

I've never been so conflicted on whether a game was great or a complete pile of worthless shit.

tkscz

I just got to a part in the Krypt where you need a chingas to solve a puzzle and the thing is in a chest that cost 10 fucking thousand souls...a currency that you get maybe 15 of with each win. Without mods to boost your earnings thats 667 wins required to gather that much.

Some additional quick math:

Say each fight last 4 minutes each and that you win every single match. That would take almost 45.5 hours to earn enough souls for this one fucking item to solve one fucking puzzle. One of the other items required for this puzzle unlocks when you perform a fatality on one fighter 50 TIMES.

So going with the same math as before, each fight taking 4 minutes and without ever losing it would take over 3 hours for the other item needed.

I've never been so conflicted on whether a game was great or a complete pile of worthless shit.
Because they expect you to just buy them. To give up and pony up cash.

MrMephistoX

It’s not terrible if you play the towers of time my only frustration is that your progress isn’t cross platform: like I have this awesome MK2 Mileena outfit only on Xbox but I’ve put more time into the PS4 since I prefer the controller.

Overall my biggest beef is that they made the revenants default including the character selection art.

Last edited:

Miles708

The grind and compulsory online connectivity killed the interest in a game I would have purchased 120% otherwise. I saved some money though, which is nice I guess.

Camreezie

Put a few hours in on Ultimate on ps5 and have to say the guest characters this time around were a let down. To go from Xenomorph and predator to Robocop and Rambo lol.

mxbison

Yeah fuck that gear and grinding bullshit.

MK9 was such a great revival for the series, and then it went downhill real fast.

I love the game, it is the only Playstation game I have ever Platinumed, but a lot of the game is built around character customization, and it's frustrating because of the grind to unlock things, and I wish they would just open up all the unlocks for everyone at this point. I don't think people are spending vast quantities of money to unlock things, and I'm not even sure that's possible to do so.

I command the swarm, and have toyed a bit with Raiden and Nightwolf [I've always had a soft spot for Nightwolf, and those are the character towers I've completed. I was thinking about who I want to play next, and I realized it was Shang Tsung because how often do you get your MK dreams to come true and have Cary be a part of it [also where is Shang Tsung voice pack]. So I am now on the endless single player grind to unlock customizations for Shang Tsung. This takes away from a more robust experience online, and it even takes away from traditional arcade towers. Since fighting games are primarily a casual player affair, it would be great if you had to play regular towers to unlock customizations, or that you could also unlock them from online matches. Just something to speed it up so it's achievable and doesn't require as many gimmicks.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
the stiffness in XL alone makes it barely even playable.
It's still a thousand times faster and more responsive than 11, and also isn't nearly as grindy.

MK11 is actually the first out of 350+ games on steam, that I actually refunded because of how slow and clunky it felt.

Banned
It's still a thousand times faster and more responsive than 11, and also isn't nearly as grindy.

MK11 is actually the first out of 350+ games on steam, that I actually refunded because of how slow and clunky it felt.

nah, XL is way worse... but this is like arguing which turd smells better here.

the thing is, if you wanna play a good fighting game then avoid western developers... except maybe Killer Instinct but I know KI's combo mechanics aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
nah, XL is way worse
It objectively isn't, XL is much faster and responsive than 11, I went back and forth between them to make sure I wasn't crazy; 11 is like playing a fighting game in slow motion. It's much closer to injustice 2's speed than MKXL.

If you mean something else with "worse", well that's subjective.

Banned
It objectively isn't, XL is much faster and responsive than 11, I went back and forth between them to make sure I wasn't crazy; 11 is like playing a fighting game in slow motion. It's much closer to injustice 2's speed than MKXL.

If you mean something else with "worse", well that's subjective.

more speed =/= less clunky

MK3 is faster than Street Fighter 3, yet SF3 plays way better.
Samurai Shodown is slow as hell and less clunky than any MK

MK11 has better animations (which is extremely important in a fighting game for visual feedback) and that alone makes it feel less shit than XL

but again, one turd is better than the other, both are shit in the grand scheme of things

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I platinumed MK11, definitely not as terrible as some of you are saying here. I did agree that the grind was kind of ridiculous at times, but it's shown plenty of long life since coming out.

I still don't know why Boon hasn't put out that all but confirmed MK Online Arcade Klassics or whatever it's called that has MK1, MK2, and UMK3 for current systems. I would kill for arcade perfect versions of these on modern consoles.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
more speed =/= less clunky
more speed means less time waiting for an animation to complete, which in mk11's case translates to feeling clunky and unresponsive.
So yes, the higher speed of MKXL makes it a much more responsive and less clunky game than mk11, which feels like walking around with cement shoes; it's fucking gross 🤮.

Also MK3 is not faster than SF3 at all lmao, most the the roster has 2/3 frame startup moves, which is crazy fast for a fighting game, dashes are also around ~20 frames making movement very twitch and responsive.
Unless you think mk3's "run button" makes it a "fast" game. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
KvMbSpn.jpg

This framedata puts it closer to SF4 instead of SF3.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
After watching the movie I decided to jump back into MK11 after having put it down not long after release to play other games. The actual fighting is great and the game is just slick as hell with its presentation. I suck at fighters so I'm sure that some expert will tell me how unbalanced the game is but I'm having a lot of fun playing it. The idea of leveling up gear seems like it would be a balancing issue but I have no intentions of playing online so it doesnt matter much to me.

What does matter to me is the fucking grind-a-thon that this game is to unlock anything of value. The krypt used to be kind of a fun way to unlock everything and there was only 1 or two currencies you had to worry about....now there are 3 just in the krypt and more outside of it (time krystals). Everything of any real value costs hearts, which are handed out in such a fucking stingy manner that its laughable. A fight might net you 3 hearts but to open 1 fucking chest costs a minimum of 100 and most are 250. Sure you can set mods to your characters to net a whopping 10 hearts per fight but this is a fucking joke. I see you can get more with the towers of time but even those seem to only get you 50 or so upon completion. If you google search for MK11 there are dozens of articles talking about how to "farm" for currencies...why does a full priced fighter require you to "farm" for anything? Why does every single game seem to take the absolute shittiest systems from MMOs and overlay them on their game?

I would be less upset if it was just color swaps or something hidden behind this grind but there are character fatalities and shit stuck in these chests that it doesn't seem you can unlock without opening them.

I cant remember the last time a game with gameplay this good was saddled with so much horseshit around it. Old man yelling at clouds but one of the worst things to come of recent gens is this overwhelming desire from publishers and devs creating their games to require 100s of hours to unlock everything in it. I get why they do it but its fucking awful. Not every game needs some lengthy progression system.
Ever played Warframe...now that's a currency-athon.

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Ever played Warframe? That's a currency-athon. Not fighting but I don't even think I count all the stuff you need to buy or unlock things in that game.

I'mma try.

You got Credits, Ducats, Kuva, Platinum, that shit you use to upgrade mods, can't remember the name and 3 different Open World specific currencies.

The rest I'mma just throw into the "crafting material" category but the fact that you can obtain millions of those items make them feel more like currency than crafting material, just saying.

All that said, I fucking love Warframe.

Last edited:

SSfox

The grind thing wasn't a real problem imo, it may look overwhelming at first you can unlock most (if not all) stuffs by just playing the game.
myTzCAUVScNGOD9C0KvmzDTJHJ2ctc-3ts2Sq6mZ_PK76lvaK_uWrJ3EGXq7Pe8gT0VShbbB2RS-1coyRf_r

Hard to say, I think they're different enough. I'd rather play UMK3/MKXL/11 than SFIV.
I love MK but it comes to gameplay Street Fighter has always been more innovative, deep and polished.

Last edited:

Buki1

The real annoying part is when you already unlocked whole crypt and have a lot of money/hearts/souls, but still dont have half of the cool shit because its locked in already finished Kombat League seasons, random towers of time or shop refreshing once a day that sell things for crystals.

MK11 is awesome. And if you think its a grindathon still, if you were day one there you have no idea how low XP was given which they fixed in about 2 weeks. I unlocked a lot of stuff but I mean its mostly cosmetics. Once I got to the classic Scorpion skin, I didnt care anymore for the rest. So it kind of depends what you are looking for. As a game, its a top notch product.

Top Bottom