• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat 8 REVEALED IN ALL ITS GLOR...wait, what is this?

CO_Andy

http://news.mortal-kombat.org/ said:
Midway Gamer's Day has presented Mortal Kombat VS. DC Universe, a game which will see the clash between MK kombatants and DC superheroes. The guys @ MK Online have received the first image of the game, a render showing Sub-Zero and Batman.

Worldscollide.com will be the game's website. We are still paciently waiting for the embargo to lift to see the first batch of images and videos of the game.

It seems MK vs. DC is THE MK8, so we can rule out the possibility that MK8 and this crossover are different games.
80aa52511f4e56860ed63108abfb40ff4g.jpg

Khalid-S said:
Some screen caps
picture1012746.png

picture1206650.png

picture15bbcbd.png
Trailer --> http://www.gamesradar.com/video/ext/v-20080417145329734070

FightyF

Banned
What made MK so gruesome was not the blood or fatalities, but for it's time a game that seemed to realistically convey human on human violence. We saw blood in other games, but this took things to a whole other level simply due to the fact that it looked real compared to all other titles at the time.

I think the best way to "reinvent" MK is to return to this ideology. There are lots of technologies that allow for the digital scanning of actors. What has to be stressed in this process, is a focus of detail and realism on the face and facial animations.

http://files.bardsley.org.uk/wp-content/3dface.avi

If the faces can depict pain and suffering in a convincing manner, I think the series may once again shock gamers in the same way the original did.

Obviously, the lighting of this game should match or exceed that of games like Crysis. I think a fighter, with a restrained scope of a limited sized background, and only 2-4 characters on screen, can achieve this...easily.

Supa

davepoobond said:
mortal kombat without mortal kombat characters is not mortal kombat

Well, maybe the creators themselves wanted something new after using the same characters for 16 years.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Supa said:
Well, maybe the creators themselves wanted something new after using the same characters for 16 years.

that's like making a mario game without mario.

it would constitute as a new franchise at that point. it makes no logical sense to replace the whole cast. that game will BOMB

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Why does this franchise still get sequels?

What other industry has a company actively making sequels to something that was popular over 10 years ago and died a horrible death?

If he wants to make something new, fucking make something new.

Oh man, I would totally LOVE if they forgot about everything they´ve done in the last MK´s and made a game using, say, UE3, with characters similar to those in MK1, and 2D gameplay. That would be awesome.

Sean

Banned
sp0rsk said:

What other industry has a company actively making sequels to something that was popular over 10 years ago and died a horrible death?

Cause the games are still million-sellers?

Even though I think the series is pretty shit, it still sells and without it Midway would probably have been long dead. So it's no surprise they're milking it.

FightyF

Banned
evil ways said:
Knowing Boon, I bet it's just a bunch of lame, new, poorly designed characters, shiny grapichs, same crappy, broken gameplay, more blood, oh and Scorpion.

Pretty much.

But I don't agree with the shiny graphics part...they always looked pretty crappy after the 2D titles. But I suppose you meant more like updated graphics and shiny by Boon's standards...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Insane Metal said:
Oh man, I would totally LOVE if they forgot about everything they´ve done in the last MK´s and made a game using, say, UE3, with characters similar to those in MK1, and 2D gameplay. That would be awesome.

UE3 is the only thing that could make MK characters uglier than they already are.

Trakdown

sp0rsk said:

Um, the music industry? I mean, NKOTB is coming back. *pukes*

But yeah, I'm sick of this "brand new, totally revamped 8th-in-a-series" talk.

FightyF said:
What made MK so gruesome was not the blood or fatalities, but for it's time a game that seemed to realistically convey human on human violence. We saw blood in other games, but this took things to a whole other level simply due to the fact that it looked real compared to all other titles at the time.

They need to combine realistic looking characters with Manhunt style violence if they really want to get the series back on track.

Tr4nce

Sheesh, I'm glad my name is not Boon, or Tobias for that matter. How can they ever, ever make a good MK again, after all that shit which has been released? Tough job, if you ask me.

FightyF

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
They need to combine realistic looking characters with Manhunt style violence if they really want to get the series back on track.

What I was thinking was making very deadly backgrounds. Think of a cage match where there are spikes on the sides that can impale fighters. Or hanging hooks that you can, if positioned properly, uppercut people onto and have them hanging writhing in pain.

I think if the gameplay was drastically changed to be a bit more slower paced, thoughtful, and if it used Endorphin for most of the hit recovery animations, it would be headed towards the right direction. The character being punished by a combo would look like their getting mercilessly beat up in a realistic fashion.

I think realism in animations should be the focus...

NotWii

Banned
I think they should fix MK Trilogy first (make ONE version that has all bosses, all stages, all musics, all characters, all fatalities, all animalities, all friendships, all costumes, all features from all the 2D games)

THEN make a totally new HD Mortal Kombat with high fps animated digitized sprites, updated gameplay mechanics (seriously, holding a button to block really feels archaic in MK)

FORGET UGLY 3D CHARACTERS AND CLUNKY 3D FIGHTING

Oh and make it feel like MKI and MKII

shuri

Banned
What really sucks about MK now is that the fandom has reached Sonic-level of freakness. You have all those absolutely psychotic, and i mean PSYCHOTIC, fans who are more obsessed with the storylines and the actual gameplay. The MK5.ORG forums are the perfect way to see those fans in action. Midway, and the creators, are stuck having to follow the fantasies of those weirdos, much like Sega had to have Sonic kissing a human girl in one of the last games they did. They are stuck in this awful fandom vicious circle where they have to please the fans and so on.

It's pretty damn awful.

Pachael

shuri said:
What really sucks about MK now is that the fandom has reached Sonic-level of freakness. You have all those absolutely psychotic, and i mean PSYCHOTIC, fans who are more obsessed with the storylines and the actual gameplay. The MK5.ORG forums are the perfect way to see those fans in action. Midway, and the creators, are stuck having to follow the fantasies of those weirdos, much like Sega had to have Sonic kissing a human girl in one of the last games they did. They are stuck in this awful fandom vicious circle where they have to please the fans and so on.

It's pretty damn awful.

Funny, since the first thing that came to mind when sporks was asking: "What other industry has a company actively making sequels to something that was popular over 10 years ago and died a horrible death?"

... was Sonic.

FightyF said:
What I was thinking was making very deadly backgrounds. Think of a cage match where there are spikes on the sides that can impale fighters. Or hanging hooks that you can, if positioned properly, uppercut people onto and have them hanging writhing in pain.

So would that bring in the possibility of ending a fight before your opponent has his energy fully drained? I think that'd actually be an interesting concept. It'd take a lot of balancing because some people would find a way to abuse it, but if they can pull it off that would change the gameplay quite a bit.

shuri

Banned
Those mid-matches stage fatalities were in mortal kombat5 but they took them out in the later games since people complaining.

JimiNutz

Banned
{Mike} said:
I'm calling cel-shaded Mortal Kombat

I call UE3 powered MK with all new characters (except Scorpion and Sub Zero.)
Gritty semi realistic tone with tons of blood and guts (like Gears of War)
Completely new fighting engine. A lot simpler with more emphasis placed on fun instead of complex button pushing sequences (kind of like AKI Def Jam games)

sp0rsk said:

Because it still sells a ton?
Every damn version they bring out still sells a boatload of copies!

radcliff

Is this the game EGM was referring to in the last issue where they said next month's issue will feature the return of a classic arcade franchise? They had a shadowed image of a character who appeared to have arrows and swinging a knife. Is there any character like that in MK? Maybe a new character?

sp0rsk said:

From what I have heard, they have made something new. Will be interesting to see.

Salazar

Rezbit said:
:lol

This MK will struggle for relevance more than any previous one, I feel. At least the last one was just a MK character-fest. This...I dunno, it's going to have to pull something out it's ass to be any good.

That something could be (might indeed have to be) irony.

They're using Unreal 3 for this one last I heard. Also, I'm hoping for a 'remake' of the first one: New Fighting engine and less characters (around 8) but more balanced.

Top Bottom