• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat [E3 2010]

fernoca

JdFoX187 said:
Wasn't Sonya being captured just a little easter egg or something? She was "captured" in the original game too.
Maybe is like in Armageddon; were the captured character changes randomly..

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dai101 said:
- And worst of all ..... DLC. Sure, im fine for extra stuff like outfits, arenas, maps and shit, that's is entirely optional and doesn't ruin the game, but NO NO NO to add new characters.
Well, Boon promised DLC for MK Vs DC and never delivered so that's some possible good news for you there.

MK announcements are somewhat similar to the Sonic cycle so I remain cautiously optimistic. What's shown so far looks good.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
And theres 8 more characters to announce eh?

Im guessing;

Liu Kang
Kitana
Jax
Kabal
Cyrax
Raiden
Sonya
Kano (unless Sonya and Kano are chained up ala MKII) If so give me Ermac and Stryker

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
perhaps the cybog ninja they were talking about is Smoke. Smoke was a human in MK2. He was turned into a bot in MK3 I think

Shred0r

Banned
damn, this game is going to be soooo brutally massacred over here in Germany in order to pass the regulations to be advertised that the process of doing so will infact turn out to be more brutal than the brutality of the game itself.... LOL
i'll import it, anyway ;)

fernoca

goat said:
I'm seeing a disturbing lack of a "Krypt" selection in that menu screenshot.
Check the top, those are the '2 Players' options.. ;)

EDIT:
Who knows..checking again, there's 'Extras' option too..so maybe a krypt of some sorts is there..

I dont know about this one, the last few MK games sucked but somehow I always get roped into buying them and Ed Boon is the biggest bullshiter ever he always tell a heap of lies about his games, whatever happend to the so called DLC in Mk Vs Dc ? I also remember him saying that you could rip the clothes off the characters and see their sweat drip in one of the previous MK games. As good as it looks im going to remain skeptical due to Ed Boon's track record of being a bullshitter :p.

Teknoman

Apparently the fighting system allows you to string together whatever moves you want. Sounds pretty close to a capcom crossover fighter, which is awesome.

fernoca

McKeeverFever said:
I dont know about this one, the last few MK games sucked but somehow I always get roped into buying them and Ed Boon is the biggest bullshiter ever he always tell a heap of lies about his games, whatever happend to the so called DLC in Mk Vs Dc ? I also remember him saying that you could rip the clothes off the characters and see their sweat drip in one of the previous MK games. As good as it looks im going to remain skeptical due to Ed Boon's track record of being a bullshitter :p.
Yeah..Midway going to bankruptcy was what stopped the release of the DLC for DC Universe. For them to release it, it was going to need to re-license everything again and the new stuff too..since the contract was to release that game only.

Updating that game was going to be a breach of contract, similar to what happened to Marvel vs Capcom 2; when they released it on disc..apparently adding online was going to make it "a new game"...similar reason apparently as to why there was no retail release for the latest port..

The sweat comment was more like a wishlist of stuff he wanted to make, not that he was planning to put into the game. The damage to characters faces made it to Deadly Alliance and the clothes ripping, along character damage made it to DC Universe....also to this game.

fernoca

JustHadToJoin said:
Wasn't there a character named Noob? Think he'll be back? I just remember using him all the time
He was in Deception and Noob Smoke; then in Armageddon as Noob (though refereed as Noob Saibot in his bio)...seems they don't use Saibot a lot because since that part of the name was because of (John)Tobias..who knows..

Story-wise it will depend; since he was
what the original Sub-Zero became after dying; because of his corrupted soul..so in this game it will depend if the original Sub-Zero is alive or not..

Manus

Jeff from Giantbomb just said 24 characters, 1 random select and something for DLC. Soooo more than 16.

Anyanka

Sounds good so far. The meter is questionable, xray has a good chance of being too good like rage but we'll see. In theory I like breakers costing two stocks. They were too common in MKDC, but you needed them to get out of infinites. Hopefully they fix them so they never setup free damage and combos. Lantern and Kahn's breaker combos were ridiculous. Probably the most broke part of that game.

MKDC f,f run wasn't like MK3 run where you can pressure them but I think a f,f dash will be good.

Boon says roughly 26 characters. Excluding bosses Kahn, Motaro, Goro, Kintaro and counting Smoke as one guy there's exactly 26 characters in MK1-UMK3.

Tr4nce

I want to believe, but come on. It's just the same thing over and over again. Even the fatalities are the same.

GrayFoxPL

There's Kira from Deception chained in the background I saw earlier in old trailer i iI guess.

Going back in time story is a brilliant move. Hat's off to Boon.

Johnny Cage won't die. Maybe we'll see non cyborg Cyrax.

I think Boon will put Kenshi in, he liked that character.

Xater

GrayFoxPL said:
There's Kira from Deception chained in the background I saw earlier in old trailer iI guess.

Going back in time story is a brilliant move. Hat's off to Boon.

Johnny Cage won't die. Maybe we'll see non cyborg Cyrax.

I think Boon will put Kenshi in, he liked that character.

I hope so. I also liked Kenshi.

GrayFoxPL

Prime crotch said:
nightwolf?! and the crowd goes mild

Striker next!

People have wrong understanding of Nightwolf. He's like a Dan of Mortal Kombat, but he doesn't know it. It's all about embarassing people with him. He was awesome in MK3.

Manus

GrayFoxPL said:
People have wrong understanding of Nightwolf. He's like a Dan of Mortal Kombat, but he doesn't know it. It's all about embarassing people with him. He was awesome in MK3.

He was a great fighter in 3. His axe move and his shoulder rush were fantastic moves.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Has anyone commented on the announcer for this game? Im hoping that they have the voice from MK2 back again. Kind of sick of the voice used in the last several games....

Another Q...any comments on the fatality music that plays when youre doing them?

I don't remember about other MK games but is it unusual that it doesn't have a lame subtitle? Having it titled 'Mortal Kombat' seems to indicate that this is really Back to Basics.

Anyanka

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Has anyone commented on the announcer for this game? Im hoping that they have the voice from MK2 back again. Kind of sick of the voice used in the last several games....

Since Shao Kahn is presumably the main villain again they'll probably use him. Hopefully Steve Ritchie is still available.

Jeff Gerstmann was hyping this up on the E3 day 1 podcast. Apparently X-ray moves are basically ultras, with their own ways of activating and not just fancy throws like Klose Kombat. He was saying Cage's is a counter super and Scorpion's begins with a super teleport punch.

Can someone explain to me how all these brilliant people in here are complaining about 16 charactes when it straight up says 25 (1 DLC character) in the OP? FFS, people.

Definitely excited for this one and look forward to learning what other returning characters will be in the game. Sad panda that Rain won't have a chance and Ermac most likely won't either.

Manus

SquallASF said:
Can someone explain to me how all these brilliant people in here are complaining about 16 charactes when it straight up says 25 (1 DLC character) in the OP? FFS, people.

Definitely excited for this one and look forward to learning what other returning characters will be in the game. Sad panda that Rain won't have a chance and Ermac most likely won't either.

...It was just confirmed last night that it was going to have 24 characters. Everyone was speculating that it was only 16 since the picture just showed 16 slots.

SquirrelNuckle said:
...It was just confirmed last night that it was going to have 24 characters. Everyone was speculating that it was only 16 since the picture just showed 16 slots.

Oh, good. I thought it was just because of the picture but if that info was added later that makes more sense. I still would have known there was more than that because the picture looks like it's cutting off a row. Wonder how close to release they'll reveal the other familar characters.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
G-Fex said:
Exactly, MK came first heathens!

Anyways, fuck yes this is really awesome news, look like this is the year of done right sequels and revivals.

And we shouldn't want a character roster so large, remember armageddon?
As a series, maybe, but Sektor's first appearance in MKIII came AFTER Killer Instinct. :D

Anyanka

SquallASF said:
Sad panda that Rain won't have a chance and Ermac most likely won't either.

Why do you say that? I think Ermac is very likely considering he was one of the most popular characters in UMK3 and has always been a part of MK fan lore.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Looking forward to the series reconnecting with its youthful self. I hope we start to see more from the show floor.

Anyanka said:
Why do you say that? I think Ermac is very likely considering he was one of the most popular characters in UMK3 and has always been a part of MK fan lore.

They didn't say if they were including Ultimate or not though it's a fair assumption that they might. Most of the characters from UMK3 were charcters from the first two games that didn't initially make it into 3 though. Hopefully they will throw in Ermac since he is a popular character.

Top Bottom