• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat: Jeuxvideo.com Update [02/21/11] (Impressions, Modes, Test Your Might?)

fernoca

Mortal Kombat (9, IX, 2011)
Release: April 19, 2011

Jeuxvideo.com, had some hands-on impressions with a recent version of the game. While most of the stuff was locked, they managed to get a glimpse of what may be in-store this April.

Some key points
-At least 26 characters, with 2 fatalities each.

-Pro Attacks (from Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe) seem to make a return (named Enhanced Attacks?); only this time can only be performed when the bar at the bottom is at half. Basically, you perform a special move, and as the character performs the attack you perform another motion of the attack (or a similar one) the character repeats the attack either much stronger or in an opposite direction. Example given in the case of Scorpion, if done right; you can have Scorpion launching 3 spears instead of one. (in MKvsDCU, for example Sonya could shoot 2 sets of rings, or do her regular upward-bicycle kick, followed by a downward-bicycle kick)

-"Test your..." kind of mini-games seem to make a return, in a more varied way. Apparently based on 4 aspects: Luck (guessing Not guessing, see post #24) , Sight (eyesight), Might (power), and Strike (speed).

-Modes included, seems to be (not final or confirmed):
  • Versus (up to 4 players, including regular matches or tag-team (with 4 controllers),
  • Story (regular fighting with pre-determined characters and cutscenes explaining the events from MK to MK3)
  • The Tower of Challenges (Fighting under specific conditions)
  • Online (Versus, Tag team, King of the hill, Lobbies and other modes)
  • Kombat (Arcade mode with 10 fights in a row)
  • Drive (kinda like the Combo Challenge in MKvsDCU, perform the moves/motions/combos on screen with each character)
  • Krypt (unlock additional content)

Links
Jeuxvideo.com (French)
Goggle translation (English)​

Full post (from Google's translation warning!!)

After several mediocre episodes, Mortal Kombat returns in grand style through this episode reboot savior who returns to the roots of the saga. Program: a lot of nostalgia but mostly fatalities in shambles, special moves and unusual explosive action up to four players simultaneously!
Mortal Kombat

After a decade of Mortal Kombat has emerged since the launch of the series in 1992, that the developers decided today to return to what made the success of the first components: a simplified gameplay, a cast of shock and above all the action, without the fuss, fast and efficient. First, exit the gameplay in 3D depth and movement to dodge attacks in force in the previous sections. Up to now 2D gameplay, while still retaining the 3D representation of the characters, like Street Fighter IV. The latter is also quite successful. As combatants or as Mileena Kitana inherited forms of sexy outfits and even more sprightly than before. But more importantly, over the shots now, the costumes are torn and bruised faces and bodies appear in brilliant fashion. Finally, in addition to the animation rather successful hero, sets turn out and accumulate elsewhere detailed references. On this last point, note also in passing the presence of The Pit and The Dead Pool, two conventional designs in which it was (will be) possible to do a Stage Fatality causing the collapse of the adversary, respectively at the bottom a pit to be impaled and in a pool of acid to be dissolved (for novices on the subject, it must be remembered that Fate is a special move to make at the end of combat that is running the way Gore competitor Stage Fatality and that is the same thing but in relation to a particular setting).

Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Jax, Kitana, Mileena, Cyrax, Sektor, Reptile, Nightwolf, Johnny Cage, Kung Lao, Sonya Blade: such was the list of 12 characters available in the demo we had hands. According to our sources - and by cutting the pieces of information released by developers - the cast will grow the hero of the saga God of War, Kratos himself (note character exclusive to the PlayStation 3), Raiden, Stryker, Liu Kang, Shao Kahn, Baraka, Goro, Jade, Sindel, Shang Tsung and Ermac. It is rumored as the possible presence of Kano, Rain, Smoke, and even the all black ninja Noob Saiboot anagram of Tobias & Boon, the original creators of Mortal Kombat. Anyway, no less than 26 heroes should be on the poster for the game, besides the characters available in future DLC (two boxes on the selection screen of the fighters are also reserved for this purpose). First observation face this casting: on the street all the new heroes emerged in parts in 3D! Developers make a true return to safe values by focusing on the most charismatic fighters, those from the first three episodes of the saga. However, some retain their weapons appeared subsequently, such as swords Sub-Zero or Scorpion at play here especially during a mug in hand-to-hand (and a key is dedicated to the projections). You should see the power of the ninja ice plant his weapon with both hands in the bust of his enemy and then retreat into a spray of blood pushing it a kick.

In terms of gameplay, fans of the series easily find their brands: punches and kicks and low tops, brush, kick back or propelling uppercut the opponent into the air, plus a button dedicated to the care and another devoted to "catapult" (move sends the enemy into the air to inflict more then combos). Similarly, each character retains its basic powers (the harpoon Scorpion, Mileena Teleport Kick, the net energy Sektor ...) and even how to make the joystick has not changed one iota. That said, several new sizes are still emerging. Starting with a gauge at the bottom of the screen that fills up as you beat the opponent. When it is half full, it provides access to "Enhanced Attack", that is to say, improved special attacks, causing more damage. For the trigger, just do normal basic special moves by pressing but at the end an extra touch. For example, if you launch an attack on the Scorpion's spear in adding the key, then the ninja will project altogether three harpoons at the same time! But that's not all: when the gauge at the bottom of the screen is completely filled, you have access to an X-Ray Attack. " For the trigger, it is necessary to press two buttons at the same time. Simple but really effective. For not only follows the cinematic shows the bones of your opponent trying to crack and break literally in your shots, but especially the attack automatically removes half of its gauge vital. Damn enjoyable! Finally, from a perspective only slightly more technical, we should also note the presence of a sudden "Breaker" which, when you are successful, can interrupt the combos of the attacker.

Of course, Mortal Kombat is not Mortal Kombat without the presence of famous Fatalities. It is still early to make precise handling on the controller when you win the last round of fighting, during what is inscribed on the screen "Finish Him! "(Or" Finish Her! "If female). The advantage in the demo we were able to try was that you could put the game paused just before the administration of Doom in order to look in the menu to perform precise handling on the joystick. However, it does not stay out very clear because of the short time available. Good news is that it seems that every character has at least two different Fatalities! For example, Scorpion takes out his sword, cuts the arm and torso of his opponent and then decapitated his head and finally cut in two. Result: tons of blood and guts and no censorship! The second fatality of Scorpion, apparently to download (it is offered as DLC for pre-order on some websites) is none other than the original Doom, namely that he withdraws his mask to reveal a skull and skeleton of calcined his opponent, spitting flames. Note that a third fatality could be present, even a Friendship (a parody of Fate to achieve in the same conditions but after comic, the character with such flowers).

Last but not least: The Tag game which allows for two teams of two players (thus four human players simultaneously). Like Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (although the teams as such contain three individuals), it is to switch at will between the two fighters to make the best possible combos. There are also several kinds. First, there is the normal Tag: pressing a button, let you automatically place your teammate. Then there's the Tag Assist (you have to push twice the pad back and press a button) that involves your companion to get you out of tight spots as you break a combo that inflicts the opponent. Finally, there is the Combo Chain Tag (you have to push the directional pad twice forward and press a button) which will kick both your team members on the enemy for a chain of violence. If for the moment, it remains unclear whether any Fatalities in Tag will be available, however, one can easily argue - for a long time tried the demo - the result is downright spectacular. The fuse blows, the characters and twirling action proves hyper dynamic, especially since we did not detect any slowdown, despite the simultaneous presence on the screen of the four fighters.

In addition to a versus mode that lets up to four players will be trouble, the game also has other modes such as Story, The Tower of challenges (probably fighting to be done under conditions), Live (online battles), Kombat (the equivalent of an Arcade mode with 10 fights in a row) and then drive. Unfortunately, except for Versus and the latter, none was available on the demo. Drive on, as its title suggests, it is simply a result of attacks and combos to perform basic follow the instructions on the screen, obviously different depending on the chosen character. However, after searching some menus, it was possible to discover the presence of events that could be included in the program modes or History Kombat. Thus, it should coexist four styles of tests based on luck ("Test Your Luck"), observation ("Test your Sight"), speed ("Test your Strike") and endurance, gender bourrines a key to break a stack of bricks ("Test your Might"). Fingers crossed for the final that these challenges are at the game itself, that is fun, dynamic and super fun!

Mortal Kombat: Online Web-Series (Updates)
Release: April 19, 2011

MKOnline.com, has a really nice summary of all what's happening right now with the series, including cast-updates.

Synopsis
"Shao Kahn and Shang Tsung are obsessed with reigning over various realms (parallel universes) and the winners of Mortal Kombat competitions are granted supreme control over these worlds. The Earthrealm (Earth) is an unconscious participant in this competition and only a few select humans understand the consequences of losing Mortal Kombat and what it will mean to Earth."​

Cast/characters (so far)
Michael Jai White ... Maj. Jackson "Jax" Briggs
Jeri Ryan ... Lt. Sonya Blade
Ian Anthony Dale ... Scorpion
Darren Shahlavi ... Kano
Ryan Robbins ... Raiden
Matt Mullins ... Johnny Cage
Tahmoh Penikett ... Kurtis Stryker
Shane Warren Jones ... Cyrax
Tracy Spiridakos ... "Blue" (???)
Aleks Paunovic ... ???
Maurissa Tancharoen ... ???
Erica Cerra ... ???
??? ... Sub-Zero
??? ... Shang Tsung
??? ... Liu Kang
??? ... Kitana
??? ... Mileena

Casting/misc rumors related to the series
2/23/11:
-Larnell Stoval has some kind of involvement. Since he's a well known stunt coreopgrapher and martial artist (Goggle/Youtube his fight reel), he worked in the coreography in the original 'Rebirth' short and even had some involvement in the original MK Conquest TV series.

There's no confirmation related to his involvement, only a tweet by Shane Warren who is playing Cyrax saying the name and to Google for him "lol". his acting experience seems limited, but he's a good looking guy so who knows. :p

-A Twitter user under the name of JadedKrystal tweeted that Peter Shinkoda will be playing Sektor and Beatrice Ilg will be playing Sindel. Now, the involvement of that Twitter user hasn't been verified, so there's no confirmation or even possibility of it being real. Beatrice though, looks quite young to be playing Sindel; but with some makeup and the fact that she's a resurrected corpse in the games and she originally died/killed herself when Kitana was a child (meaning that she was relatively young at the moment of her dead); it wouldn't be something "shocking".

2/22/11:
Erica Cerra confirmed her involvement in the series. Like nearly everyone else through her Twitter, but like nearly everyone else that either wasn't in the original short or wasn't in the press release; she hasn't said who is she playing other than she expects people to not be disappointed. Post #65 has a pic of her, she kinda looks like..someone. :p

2/21/11:
With the latest addition being Aleks Paunovic.
While no info has been given about his character, considering his body frame and size (he's 6'6" and an ex-boxer); he could end being non other than Shao Kahn; but we'll see.

I know Boon confirmed two players can jump online from one console for tag team mode. I'm hoping the same is true for two players on two different consoles.

I like that collection of modes. I hope that the mission based one has the same self-referential humor that MK:DA and MK:D had.

Get hype!

mortalkombat04.jpg

TreIII

Edit: Oh no, the Enhanced Attacks are the Pro attacks. Read too fast.

Any way, the more I read/hear about this game, the more I'm liking it. Everything points to the notion that this is the game that would result if Boon and his crew would result if they actually had the time, money and support to make it happen.

TreIII said:
So, Pro Attacks that act as attack extenders, in addition to EX Attacks? Interesting...

Really? I read that bit of the article meaning that the Pro Attacks (which were implemented pretty horribly in MKvsDC) had now evolved into the Enhanced EX version for this game. And that there's not two seperate systems at play in MK9. That seems like a bit of an overkill.

Edit: Ah, okay! Reading a roughly translated article, that happens to me alot too!

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Man, there is no good reason for me to be so excited for this game, but there are like a million reasons for 16-year-old me, and he's already pitched a tent outside the game store.

DasRaven

My PS3 TE and MK movie blu-ray are already pre-ordered @ Amazon. This just makes the waiting harder.

Honestly, I can't see any reason to revisit MK1/2/3 (like the rumored HD Kollection) other than base nostalgia since this game seems to bring everything 1-UMK3 had and then some.

DasRaven said:
My PS3 TE and MK movie blu-ray are already pre-ordered @ Amazon. This just makes the waiting harder.

Honestly, I can't see any reason to revisit MK1/2/3 (like the rumored HD Kollection) other than base nostalgia since this game seems to bring everything 1-UMK3 had and then some.
True. This game is basically the MK Trilogy that we've always wanted. All they need to do is allow us to use the classic soundtrack (and lupinko said that would happen) and I'd be very happy.

derFeef

I recently bought MKvsDC and I just don´t like it. I hope this one feels a lot different (not only the 3D space thing)

TreIII

DasRaven said:

Main reason besides that? Catering to the veteran crowd. UMK3, especially, still gets a lot of competitive play. Even now, at the upcoming "Winter Brawl" this weekend, there's a tournament for the game to be had.

A HD update of UMK3 would only stand to be to the benefit of those game players, because among other things, it would mean that people wouldn't have to necessarily worry about lugging around arcade/MAME set-ups to run tournaments. Plus, if this game (MK2011) goes well, then it would only do more to possibly give people a reason to try both sets of games out.

In other words, I'm sure Boon and company didn't just turn a blind eye to how Capcom was able to market both HDR and SF4 pretty much months apart from each other, and yet, both sold quite well. Also let's not forget the Pelican stick that comes with TEs, as well as that new face plate for the Madcatz TE sticks, are all things that conducive to the classic UMK3 set-up. All of that points to the notion of extending an olive branch to the MK vets, in a way that goes beyond just marketing MK2011 as a "return to form".

fernoca

Yep.
Their intention is basically to give the franchise a new beginning. New main game, HD remake, soundtrack, web-series and so on. the HD Collection is just part of that move; though the (so far) PlayStation 3 exclusivity is what many see as weird, but we'll see.

Anyway, added a small section about the web-series casting updates and fixed some small things in the overall post.

Khezu

I wonder if they will do a DLC costume pack for the webisode characters, that could be a neat cross promotion thing.

This has a king of the hill mode? How would that work, longer you win fights the longer you stay on the hill?

fernoca

Khezu said:
This has a king of the hill mode? How would that work, longer you win fights the longer you stay on the hill?
Basically, yep.
I was described like that. People make their way from bottom to top fighting each other, then the one at the top has to defeat everyone trying to take the place at the top.

If it actually works or not, if it makes it to the final game or if there are other modes, like involving bets; guess they'll announce as the release approaches.

Khezu

I think pretty much all the characters look really awesome in this game, especially the robots, hell I even like reptile, but man, sonya got the short end of the stick. I hope her alt costume is awesome.

dankir

Lol at Sonya's TTTTTIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTAAAAAAEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSS they look like pectoral muscles.

I'm like Dave Chappell and I give those titties 4 thumbs down!

Khezu said:
I think pretty much all the characters look really awesome in this game, especially the robots, hell I even like reptile, but man, sonya got the short end of the stick. I hope her alt costume is awesome.

Yeah, it's very strange. She's really the only major character that doesn't have any resemblance to her MK1 or MK3 designs aside from being blonde. Every other character is very recognizable by their costume.

I'm planning a big MK party for me and my friends on April 23rd.

A viewing of both MK movies on blu-ray is planned, followed by a shitload of the game being played. The entire event was inspired by trolling a friend who HATES MK, and had long argument with me a few months ago, about how MK will never be good enough to be shown at a major tournament, and especially not EVO.

I made a poster for the event, lol.

2cq1ksg.jpg

Test your Luck is not guessing... that seems to be a mistranslation.

There should be a video coming out soon (I think this week) that will explain it better. It's really fun.

Flarkimator, I'd hate to ask, but do you think you can answer one little question I've been wondering?

Will there be unlockable alt costumes within the Krypt, aside from the DLC ones? For example, the Cage tux we saw in an earlier video?

Xater

flarkminator said:
Test your Luck is not guessing... that seems to be a mistranslation.

There should be a video coming out soon (I think this week) that will explain it better. It's really fun.

EXCITE!

fernoca

Henry Cooldown said:

A viewing of both MK movies on blu-ray is planned, followed by a shitload of the game being played. The entire event was inspired by trolling a friend who HATES MK, and had long argument with me a few months ago, about how MK will never be good enough to be shown at a major tournament, and especially not EVO.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2cq1ksg.jpg
haha.. XD

Going to change the OP with flark's update regarding Test your Luck.

Henry Cooldown said:

http://i51.tinypic.com/2cq1ksg.jpg
Wow, that is hilarious.

fernoca

RustyNails said:
Who's the big dude in the background? Final boss?
Nothing confirmed at the moment. At the moment, only characters that has been in previous games will be sub-bosses/bosses in this one.

TreIII

Kintaro said:
I'm going to laugh if this has better online modes and features that MvC3. =x

The way that they have been boasting such features thus far, I'd actually be disappointed if they didn't! :lol

Any word on alt costumes? While I don't mind this Reptile (certainly better than other forms he's had), I do prefer his original look.

Blueblur1

I pre-ordered from Amazon solely because the standard Reptile is so ugly.

Game continues to look awesome. I can't wait. :)

MrMephistoX

SolidSnakex said:
Pre-order from Amazon and you'll get Klassic Reptile

rnGcl.gif

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O6E1JS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Reptile is my favorite of the ninjas as well and I now swear by Amazon prime after MvC3. Scorpion and Sub-Zero look perfectly fine by default and I've never liked reptilian Reptile so pre-ordering at Amazon didn't require a second thought. Although, the design work for his default costume is probably the best I've seen among the increasingly bad lizard designs.

Classic Reptile is awesome. But Reptile post-Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 was like some quest at Midway to make as butt ugly and stupid looking as possible.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Mock if old, but seems like you can get Klassic Jade if you get any of the Mortal Kombat movies on BR.

Why are so many fighting games looking SO good this gen? I am going to destroy myself trying to get good at fighters after years of no practice.

Alucrid

Banned
Replicant said:
Bullshots? Surely the game can't possibly look that good. I hope I'm wrong though.'

And damn it, I want ALL of those alternate costumes (esp. Reptile's and Jade's) but I pre-ordered from Aus retailer and I'm not sure the code from those MK movies will work here.

Backgrounds look great, although 2D fans make me sad. The character models seem ok...will probably look better in motion.

Kuran

Banned
I wonder what happened with the previous 3D MK games.. why couldn't the art direction be like this? It's just a shame that it took this series so long to bring something on the level of MK2.

It deserves to do well. Personally I'll hold out for the PSP2 version... hope that doesn't count as port begging.

Top Bottom