• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat movie gets a new dragon symbol šŸ‰

Nymphae

Banned
Not to specifically blame OP, but god damn I'm tired of twitter links on the internet. They are blocked at my work and even various workarounds are being fussy. I have to archive these and wait quite a while just to see a goddamn image because people stopped using image links on the internet in favour of sharing social media posts. There's another forum I go to where often entire pages are just blank because everyone is just posting twitter links. Very few people seem to have the extra 30 seconds it takes to link a screenshot or image file instead, which makes the image visible for everyone on the internet and will not be potentially removed like social media links.

ySqX0rv.png

xrnzaaas

Geez, it's just a logo. There are so many major things they can fuck up with this movie like the story, the fight scenes and their choreography, the acting or potential wokeness.

Nymphae

Banned
I really don't like the new logo, it's an unnecessary change and less versatile than the original. Too fat on the left side, creates a distinct S shape which at smaller scales or far enough away overpowers the dragon itself, original is way cleaner and works as one colour or with a colour background. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

VdFQWyN.png

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
If the opening is not better than the original, the movie is insta shit in my eyes.

Love that movie and intro (and music). Sad thing is, our NHL hockey team plays that music (no lyrics) when the home team gets a power play. Everyone dances around and calls it the 'power play dance'. makes me want to smack them all upside the head. Stupid people! Show some respect!!

Last edited:

Pejo

I hope to god they keep some campiness in this movie. I realized a while ago why I don't like a lot of modern remakes of old franchises. They used to be campy, have fun, not every joke was an out of place sideways glancing quip and an eyebrow wiggle pun. Not every action scene was CGI and constant explosions. They had real martial artists doing well-practiced choreography. I have a feeling they're going to ruin the tone of MK and do what they did to Transformers/Ninja Turtles/etc.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I hope to god they keep some campiness in this movie. I realized a while ago why I don't like a lot of modern remakes of old franchises. They used to be campy, have fun, not every joke was an out of place sideways glancing quip and an eyebrow wiggle pun. Not every action scene was CGI and constant explosions. They had real martial artists doing well-practiced choreography. I have a feeling they're going to ruin the tone of MK and do what they did to Transformers/Ninja Turtles/etc.
yes i agree. a huge part of the original's appeal was the camp. IMO the violence was key but it was almost more for the novelty of it rather than the gore itself.

that said i've ignored all the games since the 16 bit era. the more brutal and realistic they get, the less i like them. me seeing this movie will probably depend on how gritty they try to go.

Cha

I really don't like the new logo, it's an unnecessary change and less versatile than the original. Too fat on the left side, creates a distinct S shape which at smaller scales or far enough away overpowers the dragon itself, original is way cleaner and works as one colour or with a colour background. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

VdFQWyN.png
Ah, yes, Mortal Skombat.

That poor dragon looks forced into that position :cry:

This, exactly. The dragon is forced into that position in order to create a more distinctive yin-yang symbol. Ironic considering how off-balance it feels. Also, just amateur in concept.
The old logo has much more solid design. Hopefully the movie is entertaining enough.

And yeah, the original intro is hype as f*ck!

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't seem like a yin/yang attempt to me.
Looks like an 'S' trying to extend to a full circle, which it doesn't even complete.

What a bunch of fuckin dumb designers.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I was hoping they'd redesigned it from that. That's the one that's been floating around on the internet for months.

It's crap, they need to just use the real logo.

I never saw the movie but I lol'ed irl after watching the opening.

Is this a case of where a video game movie is so over-the-top corny but self aware?
kinda

i don't think it's self aware, i think they were trying to create something truly edgy but accidentally created a truly timeless, highly enjoyable meme

#Phonepunk#

Banned
kinda

i don't think it's self aware, i think they were trying to create something truly edgy but accidentally created a truly timeless, highly enjoyable meme
yeah the best camp is stuff done in utter seriousness. this is why the SW prequels create such meme-able moments, they aren't jokey or self aware at all. somehow that inflated sense of seriousness makes it even funnier.

first movie is really worth watching. as a video gaming movie goer in the 90s, it was a crapshoot as to whether your movie would look anything like the game (see Mario Bros.) Mortal Kombat was actually really well done and very much like the game. you have Scorpion doing "get over here!" and they didn't shy away from a lot of other iconic moment ripped straight from the games. they really went all in on the fantasy elements. the result is a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Top Bottom