• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat reboot set to be produced and filmed in South Australia

bitbydeath

James Wan is an interesting pick.
Makes it sound like they might have a decent budget on it.

A reboot of the epic action movie Mortal Kombat will be brought to life in South Australia later this year, with filmmakers describing it as the largest film to have ever been produced in the state.

The film will be led by producer James Wan, who has worked on Aquaman and The Conjuring, as well as award-winning filmmaker Simon McQuoid.

Todd Garner has also been named as a producer, while Larry Kasanoff, E. Bennett Walsh, Michael Clear and Sean Robins to be executive producers, with screenplay by Greg Russo.

Pre-production has already begun and filming will take place at locations around the state between September and December.

If it's not a hard R then what a fucking waste.

IMO it should blatantly rip off Enter The Dragon. ie. Crazy wealthy dude that's sketchy as fuck owns an island that's like a fucken underground Vegas. Hookers, cocaine, gambling, and a secret fighting tournament dubbed mortal Kombat. Fucken Paradise for illegal activities. Attraction for seedy rich people.

It'll be like enter the dragon meets Harry Potter meets Blood Sport meets the sketchiest parts of Thailand. Once youre on the island, you access the tournament through some secret under the rug as fuck portal.

No actors for scorpion, reptile or subzero. Leave them be played by stunt guys with cg rigs on. They should be more like shadowy ninja creatures.

Thinking about how I'd portray shao Khan gives me a big veiny boner.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I saw Greg Russo was writing this and instantly thought he was one of the Russo brothers...turns out he's not lol

I also just read an interview with Greg Russo where he said that the film needs to be funny like Marvel movies so I'm not sure we are gonna get the R rated MK movie that we are hoping for.

Wan's involvement is def a good thing at least but I've never heard of the director at all.

tumblr_inline_mpjf6tIjWr1qz4rgp.gif

My God if Bolo yeung were still in his prime he would be my shao Khan in a second.

sol_bad

James Wan being a producer doesn't generally mean anything. He profuced Annabelle 1 and La Llorona and well, they weren't too great. He also produced Lights Out, Insidious 4 and Annabelle: Creation which I liked.
The director, he is literally a no name, so nothing to go on there

So eeehhhhhh, still up in the air. Hopefully they have a good stunt coordinator and fight choreographer, that's the important part.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think the best bet for a decent MK movie is Gareth Evans (director of Raid 1&2 and Apostle).

The Raid movies show that he is best in class for action scenes and Apostle shows that he can also do weird fucked up fantasy stuff as well.

Plus he doesn't shy away from gore.

Last edited:

NickFire

Kinda tough to get excited for this. Guessing the end result will make Karate Kid 2 look like a Rob Zombie movie, with absolutely no gratuitous fun stuff.

Well if they can't do an R then they should at least pre-plan a gore cut for home release. If they're smart they'll embrace the stupidity of the IP as well.

lock2k

Banned
No Techno Syndrome, no ticket.

MK aint the same without the iconic theme. The series lost something when they started using Def Jam tunes for trailers 😐

Also, add some KMFDM and some Fear Factory and other techno, industrial and metal bands and voila... a worthy MK soundtrack just like the first one.

None of that stupid mumble (c)rap.

brap

Banned
Not my fault that the live action Dead or Alive, Tekken, and Chun Li movies havent managed to cross that low bar in 25 years.

MK remains Kahn.
There's hundreds of martial arts films out there. If this isn't like the game then what's the point?

Chris Pratt.
Totally saw that coming and it totally works, especially since he's into martial arts himself.

Just had a thought about Baraka. And I think like scorpion, reptile and subzero he should also be played by a stunt guy wearing a CG rig. These characters just need to be scary through gestures. Like fucking humanoid creatures that are experts in combat. Anyone wanna chip in on this idea?

Last edited:

Breakage

Calling it now: Idris Elba, The Rock, or some other person attached to The Fast and the Furious franchise will end up in this reboot.

Calling it now: Idris Elba, The Rock, or some other person attached to The Fast and the Furious franchise will end up in this reboot.
I guess Idris could do Jax. He'd probably love the role, too. He's been in Ghost Rider and Thor, he digs this kind of stuff.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
That would be fucking weird if The Rock came to my home town.

Personally, I don’t expect too many big stars in this movie. Our local Government were trying to hype this up as some Hollywood blockbuster, but I suspect they are filming it here because they are trying to make this movie as cheaply as possible.

Joel Edgerton for Kano is a damn fine choice. I'm feeling optimistic.

Who's the most sinister looking english speaking Chinese actor in his late 30s today?

He can be Chinese-American or an actual Chinese actor who can speak in english. (a heavily accented Shang Tsung would actually be fucking amazing)

I'd actually be in favor of seeing more of a street fighter type Shang Tsung over a robed wizard with a beard type. A more comtemporary demon warlock shape-shifter that uses fucking snapchat and shit lmao.

ShockedShamefulDegus-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

withincells

So, there's a review of an early script on Youtube and boy, does it sound bad. The writer describing Kano as little more than a guy who tells jokes in that MovieWeb article doesn't fill me with confidence that he changed much when submitting his final draft. Here's a link to the video of the review, if you don't have time to watch, I'll post a breakdown of what I remember in spoilers.

The movie centers around a character named, Cole Turner. Yeah, you know, Cole Turner. He's a down on his luck boxer from Philly. Never wins, is getting evicted, can't support his daughter. Jax ends up tracking him down. Like MK Legacy, Jax is a cop now. They both have medallions that glow, apparently this is passed down through generations or given to you by a previous owner to get you into the tournament. Jax forces him into a caravan of black cars. Suddenly, it starts to snow, the cars freeze up, Sub-Zero is killing people. It sounds cool. Jax's arms are frozen (you see where this is going) and Cole escapes. Jax tells him to find Sonya Blade.

He finds Sonya but is attacked by Kano first. Kano and Sonya are working together, two characters that have been enemies since the beginning of MK. And Sonya is a crazy, cat lady. She has dozens of cats. She is also not special forces. They are attacked by Reptile, who spits acid in Kano's eye.

They meet a teenager named Jin who leads them to Outworld through a washroom stall. They arrive in an Outworld market and there are a bunch of references to other characters. Kano gets into a fight with a tarkatan. They meet Liu Kang and Kung Lao, who is mute. They are trained by a character called The Overseer who is really old and they believe may be Raiden. But the teenager Jin reveals himself as the real Raiden. They train and unleash their super powers but Cole doesn't have one and he's sad. Sonya also doesn't have a special medallion and she's sad.

Shang Tsung is described as a generic villain reporting to Shao Khan who mostly stays in the shadows.

They're supposed to be preparing for the tournament but instead, Tsung just sends a bunch of characters to attack them. Sub-Zero, Drahmin, Kabal, Nitara, Reiko, and Mileena. No Kitana but Mileena is here. Oh, and like Annihilation, there are characters that are reported as dead that you never see. Like Nightwolf. There's a big fight, Kano dies and gives his medallion to Sonya. She cries. Kung Lao and Nitara have a fight at the Clock Tower. All the villains die as well as Kung Lao.

Enter Goro. They somehow end up back in Earthrealm on Cole's street. Goro is about to kill Cole's daughter and his power finally kicks in. He has had metal implants in his arms due to injuries from his boxing days and they burst out in the form of a spear. It impales Goro's chest, Cole yells "Get over here!" and pulls Goro's heart out of his chest. Scorpion isn't Hanzo Hasashi, he's Cole Turner from Philly.

They kill Sub-Zero too. Shang reveals that Cole's father was actually from Outworld. He escapes with Sub-Zero's body. Raiden gives Cole, Sonya, and Liu a list of fighters they need to find. Post credits scene is them meeting Jax with the metal arms.

Oh, and they weirdly want to know that these aren't ACTUAL names. Like Sonya explains that she's called Sonya Blade because she has a lot of knifes. And Liu Kang may have fought the real Liu Kang to get into the tournament and took his name.

brap

Banned
So, there's a review of an early script on Youtube and boy, does it sound bad. The writer describing Kano as little more than a guy who tells jokes in that MovieWeb article doesn't fill me with confidence that he changed much when submitting his final draft. Here's a link to the video of the review, if you don't have time to watch, I'll post a breakdown of what I remember in spoilers.

The movie centers around a character named, Cole Turner. Yeah, you know, Cole Turner. He's a down on his luck boxer from Philly. Never wins, is getting evicted, can't support his daughter. Jax ends up tracking him down. Like MK Legacy, Jax is a cop now. They both have medallions that glow, apparently this is passed down through generations or given to you by a previous owner to get you into the tournament. Jax forces him into a caravan of black cars. Suddenly, it starts to snow, the cars freeze up, Sub-Zero is killing people. It sounds cool. Jax's arms are frozen (you see where this is going) and Cole escapes. Jax tells him to find Sonya Blade.

He finds Sonya but is attacked by Kano first. Kano and Sonya are working together, two characters that have been enemies since the beginning of MK. And Sonya is a crazy, cat lady. She has dozens of cats. She is also not special forces. They are attacked by Reptile, who spits acid in Kano's eye.

They meet a teenager named Jin who leads them to Outworld through a washroom stall. They arrive in an Outworld market and there are a bunch of references to other characters. Kano gets into a fight with a tarkatan. They meet Liu Kang and Kung Lao, who is mute. They are trained by a character called The Overseer who is really old and they believe may be Raiden. But the teenager Jin reveals himself as the real Raiden. They train and unleash their super powers but Cole doesn't have one and he's sad. Sonya also doesn't have a special medallion and she's sad.

Shang Tsung is described as a generic villain reporting to Shao Khan who mostly stays in the shadows.

They're supposed to be preparing for the tournament but instead, Tsung just sends a bunch of characters to attack them. Sub-Zero, Drahmin, Kabal, Nitara, Reiko, and Mileena. No Kitana but Mileena is here. Oh, and like Annihilation, there are characters that are reported as dead that you never see. Like Nightwolf. There's a big fight, Kano dies and gives his medallion to Sonya. She cries. Kung Lao and Nitara have a fight at the Clock Tower. All the villains die as well as Kung Lao.

Enter Goro. They somehow end up back in Earthrealm on Cole's street. Goro is about to kill Cole's daughter and his power finally kicks in. He has had metal implants in his arms due to injuries from his boxing days and they burst out in the form of a spear. It impales Goro's chest, Cole yells "Get over here!" and pulls Goro's heart out of his chest. Scorpion isn't Hanzo Hasashi, he's Cole Turner from Philly.

They kill Sub-Zero too. Shang reveals that Cole's father was actually from Outworld. He escapes with Sub-Zero's body. Raiden gives Cole, Sonya, and Liu a list of fighters they need to find. Post credits scene is them meeting Jax with the metal arms.

Oh, and they weirdly want to know that these aren't ACTUAL names. Like Sonya explains that she's called Sonya Blade because she has a lot of knifes. And Liu Kang may have fought the real Liu Kang to get into the tournament and took his name.

tumblr_nvyyzf62Ni1qjj2qyo3_500.gif

Top Bottom