• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat reboot set to be produced and filmed in South Australia

The Miz from WWE.
NOT. BAD.

the_miz.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Why do writers who adapt games into movies feel like they need to add extra bullshit into the story even though the source material is perfectly fine schlock as is?

Keep it simple and keep it honest, if it's going to be terrible either way anyway.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
OG films were a huge part of my childhood. i remember seeing the trailer for the first film in a theater. i remember our high school pep rallies (and Jock Jams) using the theme song. i remember Sonya Blade played by the hot teacher in Billy Madison. Scorpion did his "Get over here!" and the fight in the haunted woods was appropriately spooky. they nailed the atmosphere. all the characters looked like the game designs for the most part. it got pretty cheesy but i was glad they did not shy away from looking a lot like the game at points. one of the best videogame films IMO. the sequel was way worse, with some godawful CGI, but it was still a lot of fun to watch, and featured plenty more characters.

not really interested in the new movies, as the series has doubled down on realistic gore over cartooniness (or sexiness) so i fear the focus will be all about the violence. people want a hard R and i don't really want to see blood & gore which i know is a lame af thing to say but that's me. i liked the cartoonier pixelated original games. it was more like Big Trouble in Little China than Saw. however if the films are more to my taste, i'm in.

Mohonky

Hope it's rated R.

Wondering the reason why they traveled that far to film.

A lot more movies are shot in Australia than you might think.

Tax wise its cheaper, there are a bunch of big studios and visual fx teams etc.

Hell they shot parts of Scooby Doo down the road from me at a small waterfront park in Brisbane and parts of Pirates of the Caribbean also.....and yeh there was nothing special about the location

bitbydeath

A lot more movies are shot in Australia than you might think.

Tax wise its cheaper, there are a bunch of big studios and visual fx teams etc.

Hell they shot parts of Scooby Doo down the road from me at a small waterfront park in Brisbane and parts of Pirates of the Caribbean also.....and yeh there was nothing special about the location

Ragnarok was also partly filmed in Brisbane.

bitbydeath

Some casting is set
Liu Kang is being played by Ludi Lin who recently starred in Black Mirror.
images

Jax, Raiden, Mileena
mortal-kombat-casts-jax-raiden-mileena-696x464.jpg

If it's not a hard R then what a fucking waste.

IMO it should blatantly rip off Enter The Dragon. ie. Crazy wealthy dude that's sketchy as fuck owns an island that's like a fucken underground Vegas. Hookers, cocaine, gambling, and a secret fighting tournament dubbed mortal Kombat. Fucken Paradise for illegal activities. Attraction for seedy rich people.

It'll be like enter the dragon meets Harry Potter meets Blood Sport meets the sketchiest parts of Thailand.
don't forget meets jeffrey epstein

Some casting is set
Liu Kang is being played by Ludi Lin who recently starred in Black Mirror.
images

Jax, Raiden, Mileena
mortal-kombat-casts-jax-raiden-mileena-696x464.jpg

Hmm.. I'm not too thrilled about this cast.

The only one out of here that I think would work is the guy playing Shang Tsung. Oh wait, he's playing Raiden. Uh. Hmm.. It could work.

Dude playing Liu Kang looks like he just graduated high school and plans to play fortnite and stalk his crush all summer long. The guy playing Jax looks like a Dave Chapelle doppelganger. And the Mileena girl isn't Asian. I want both Kitana and Mileena to both be of Chinese descent.

For Jax I'd go with Michael Jai White

c29414dec652011d4421b32e436ac95d.jpg

For Liu Kang I'd go with Mike Moh (Yup, the dude who plays Bruce Lee in Once Upon A Time In Hollywood)

once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-mike-moh-1-400x600.jpg

For Mileena, as much as I hate her as an actress, I'd go with Olivia Munn

x-men-apocalypse-olivia-munn-betsy-braddock-psylocke-1080P-wallpaper_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqs5wQiEK75Rs3kzKvpLI7RFhYMnFQsjCLleYdpk0_Cyc.jpg

Javthusiast

Banned
This will be a trash fire video game adaptation. Give me blood, fatalities and well choreographed action and it will be enjoyable enough.

withincells

Michael Jai White is 51, they’re going to go for someone a bit younger because they aren’t adapting MK 11 here. He also played Jax in Legacy. Winston Duke was my Jax fancasting.

I just want Mike Moh back as Ryu. They announced the World Warrior TV series a while ago and nothing has come of it.

Last edited:
Michael Jai White is 51, they’re going to go for someone a bit younger because they aren’t adapting MK 11 here. He also played Jax in Legacy. Winston Duke was my Jax fancasting.

I just want Mike Moh back as Ryu. They announced the World Warrior TV series a while ago and nothing has come of it.
I remember hearing somewhere that they're going for a more 'Avengers' feel with this movie but with blood and guts. I don't know how to feel about that.

bitbydeath

mortal-kombat-casts-kano-sonya-more-696x464.jpg

Australians Jessica McNamee (“The Meg”) and Josh Lawson (“House of Lies”) have been cast as Sonya Blade and Kano respectively.

In addition, Lewis Tan (“Deadpool 2”) is in final negotiations for an undisclosed role with some suggesting Scorpion.

Josh looks like a great choice for Kano.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
mortal-kombat-casts-kano-sonya-more-696x464.jpg

Josh looks like a great choice for Kano.
Great choice for Sonya. She doesn't look like she's wearing elderly diapers anymore.

you don't really need any actors to portray scorpion, reptile, subzero..

they're masked all the time so i say hire the best acrobats you can find and rig them with semi cgi ninja-wear

bitbydeath

mortal-kombat-casts-scorpion-shang-tsung-696x464.jpg

Chin Han (“The Dark Knight,” “Skyscraper”) is set to play Shang Tsung and Hiroyuki Sanada (“Avengers: Endgame,” “Sunshine”) will play Scorpion in the upcoming “Mortal Kombat” film reboot at New Line.

mortal-kombat-casts-scorpion-shang-tsung-696x464.jpg

two EXCELLENT choices

THREE

Joe Taslim has amazing Subzero eyebrows to boot

WB_MORTAL-KOMBAT_SUB-ZERO_ACTOR_JOE-TASLIM_.jpg

OPTIMISTIC

Last edited:
Top Bottom