• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat refused classification in Australia [Update: Customs Seizing Imports]

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just heard from a friend who works in retail that the Mortal Kombat reboot wont be released in Australia. It's been RC'd.

EDIT: It's official. Thanks to SolidSnakex for the link to Warner Bros. response.

"The highly anticipated video game Mortal Kombat, published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE) in Australia, has been refused classification by the Australian Classification Board and will not release in Australia. We are extremely disappointed that Mortal Kombat, one of the world's oldest and most successful video games franchises, will not be available to mature Australian gamers.

WBIE would not market mature content where it is not appropriate for the audience. We understand that not all content is for every audience, but there is an audience for mature gaming content and it would make more sense to have the R18+ classification in Australia. As a member of the iGEA, WBIE is reviewing all options available at this time."

klee123

Ahhh, Australia's backwards rating system goes into effect once again, typical. Still though, PS3 owners shouldn't be too worried, since importing is probably cheaper than buying it locally anyways.

Let's just hope the 360 version is region free as well.

KAL2006

Banned
dont worry midway will cover those tits and everyone will be bleeding black ink, maybe the toasty guy will move his head in front of the fatalities to cover them

RyanDG

TheVampire said:
To import? or to pirate? that is the question now.

Really? It's not the game developers fault that they were refused rating. Why would you elect to pirate over importing as though it is some big 'to be or not to be decision?' Curious of your justification here.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dead Man Typing said:
Huh? Another example of Australia's terrible policy on rating violent games, isn't something to care about?

I certainly don't care!

Why For? said:
So every other Mortal Kombat was ok, but not this one?

Get fucked.

The original MKs were banned in some areas in Australia and in all the other areas the violence was censored without an option to turn it on. Oh and in some places you had to play the game behind a curtain.

So it's not unprecedented.

Emitan

Well I'm sure your government doesn't really want that money now does it? Why are the people in charge so stupid...

plufim

SapientWolf said:
lern2vote
...for whom? Neither of the major parties seem to give a fuck.

I actually did vote for a party that had R rating for games on their agenda, but the vast majority of Australia are going to vote Labor or Liberal.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stackboy said:
Do we have anything official, or are we going to be believe your retail friend?

A PR should be sent out and it will pop up on the Australian Classification Board website. He's the head of the game division for his store, so he's reliable. He was mentioning how they're going to have a ton of pre-orders to cancel.

fernoca

newelly87 said:
They never ban any good games so it never bothers me.
And yet you clicked the thread and replied to it...twice.
So continue not caring please!! ;)

On topic, well it sucks for the fellow Australian gamers; maybe some censorship will be in place. At least the PS3 version will be region free, guess we'll know if the 360 version is later.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
newelly87 said:
They never ban any good games so it never bothers me.
i'm not sure what you consider to be a "good game", but many people were pretty miffed when L4D2 got RC'd and then later censored with a blunt axe.

RiZ III said:
Was God of War 3 banned there? That had sex, nudity, and a lot of gore.

I'm pretty sure that it was released uncensored. The devs were actually concerned that it would be banned due to how gory it was. So it's pretty amazing that MK apparently tops GoW3 in terms of gore.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Hold up. Duke Nukem Forever, from what I heard, is getting released in Australia with no cuts (can anyone from Gearbox confirm this?), and MK9 gets RC'd?

Australia can be so inconsistent sometimes...

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
HolyCheck said:
They never were illegal.
So you're saying I can't make fun of them for that anymore?
h03dY.gif

Top Bottom