• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most ambitious, impossible console ports of all time?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Quake 2 on the PS1 was pretty crazy.

I hate to be akshully guy but GTA5 was not a port, it was designed for 360/PS3.

I also feel like the BF3/4 on 360/PS3 compromised too much over their PC versions but they are neat games in their own right.

So many memories from that project. A real rollercoaster of highs and lows.

Funniest part is the build we pitched initially was using the less capable engine we'd used for our previous game (basically a Doom-style engine using extended height geometry to give the impression it was more 3d than it was) so when we got the project we had to start over from scratch - there was literally zero toolchain.

The problem was everyone seemed to think we were much further along than we were and so internally the pressure to crunch was pretty much from beginning to end. Had some good times though, and I think it turned out pretty good if bare-bones. Activision was pushing us really hard to get it out the door after 12 months (seemed like a long time back then!) so basically we didn't have much time to really do much more than a straight port of the SP campaign. Which was a real shame given how much effort was put into the 4 players split screen mode.

Diablo 1 for Ps1. It was a little rough looking compared to its pc counterpart , but 2 player co-op made up for it. Plus it was quite challenging and took a lot of patience to grind a character up through hell difficulty and become op. Great little port.

Romulus

Not really a port but Splinter Cell on PS2 was quite amazing . Not exactly impossible but with PS2 lacking so many shading features , its quite amazing with some tricks and simulations implemented by the developers to make it looked somewhat respectable.

When you look at video of the original xbox version vs ps2 though it looked like a full generation apart. But yes, the majority of this was because the ps2 was at a disadvantage.

Last edited:

Jimmy_liv

Well I wouldn't say it was never going to work, Team 17 did a decent enough job with Body Blows, (even if as one review said at the time, the characters felt "weightless") also there is this:

Hahahaha!!! That's awesome. Who punches like that!!!!

SpiceRacz

Seeing Broken Sword on GBA was pretty wild. Not impossible, but impressive none the less.

GBA--Broken%20Sword%20%20The%20Shadow%20of%20the%20Templars_Sep11%2023_51_07.png

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
There’s no such thing as “impossible” when it cones to videogames. If a programmer or small team has enough time and resources, they can do just about anything. Just take a look at the demo scene for proof of that.

Great examples of boundary-pushing videogames:

Video Chess - Atari 2600
Space Harrier - Atari 8-bit
STUN Runner - Atari Lynx
Axelay - NES
Doom - Super NES
Street Fighter Alpha 2 - Super NES
Shenmue (unfinished) - Saturn

LQX

For me it was Super Street Fighter II on the SNES. I just could not believe I was able to play a damn near an arcade perfect port at home. I remember paying out the ass for it as a kid and never regretted it as I put so many hours in it.

UnNamed

Banned

What makes this game so incredible is developers didn't choose to make a simple adapted port, instead they made the same game, the same contents, curve by curve, jump by jump, the exact copy of the GameCube game. It's just crazy.

See with your own eyes

Last edited:
Morrowind on Xbox.

The Xbox was an amazing glimpse of the future. Put a PC processor, HDD and GPU in a box and call it a console. The Xbox brought PC games to consoles- before then those where two different worlds. The Xbox never got the cult following or became the internet darling like N64 or Dreamcast did but it was important and more than a footnote.

Aarbron

Doom would have struggled on the Amiga, hell probably the CD32, everyone else seemed to get a port, ie Atari, 3DO, Nintendo, Sega, but Commodore was the odd one out...instead it had to make do with the clones..

It is a damn shame that Commodore did not give the CD32 some fast ram - a 68030 and fast ram would have made it possible perhaps. Ah well... :(

Nakasan

What makes this game so incredible is developers didn't choose to make a simple adapted port, instead they made the same game, the same contents, curve by curve, jump by jump, the exact copy of the GameCube game. It's just crazy.

See with your own eyes

I love these topics and I usually see the same examples but this is the first I've seen of this game. Actually quite awe inspiring to see they recreated the game in the way they have done!

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Doom would have struggled on the Amiga, hell probably the CD32, everyone else seemed to get a port, ie Atari, 3DO, Nintendo, Sega, but Commodore was the odd one out...instead it had to make do with the clones..
It is a damn shame that Commodore did not give the CD32 some fast ram - a 68030 and fast ram would have made it possible perhaps. Ah well... :(
But with a RAM expansion both Doom and Doom 2 are playable on CD32 (with proper controls). It even takes advantage of the CD32's Akiko chip (Courtesy of its port, DoomAttack). They were made CD32 compatible some years ago.
Not really a port but Splinter Cell on PS2 was quite amazing . Not exactly impossible but with PS2 lacking so many shading features , its quite amazing with some tricks and simulations implemented by the developers to make it looked somewhat respectable.
Thank VU0 and VU1 for that! Its the Vector Units of the Emotion Engine that made shader-like effects possible.

In fact, the unreleased Deadlight showed that Doom 3 on PlayStation 2 was very much a possibility:

Morrowind on Xbox.

The Xbox was an amazing glimpse of the future. Put a PC processor, HDD and GPU in a box and call it a console. The Xbox brought PC games to consoles- before then those where two different worlds. The Xbox never got the cult following or became the internet darling like N64 or Dreamcast did but it was important and more than a footnote.
The Fujitsu FM Towns Marty from 1993 predates the Xbox by nearly a decade and is, in essence, also a PC in a closed off box.

The Dreamcast's development pipeline (Windows CE) also has had familarities with Xbox.
yeah that might be minimum to run the game at a decent frame rate. Pretty sure it could work on a 386, not sure about the RAM
Doom would work in a postage stamp window with a 386. Doom also requires a minimum of 4 MB RAM.

Last edited:

Turnstyle

I had a C64 at the time this came out, and even I knew it was shit back then. The worst part of it is thinking about all those kids who got it for christmas, and spent weeks convincing themselves it was decent, while their friends played the SNES and Genesis ports, which compared to this looked pretty much arcade perfect. I bet this game got some kids bullied.

Commodore Format at the time gave it 80/100

Commodore format review

Still though, true to the thread, it was an impressive port for the machine. I would say that there was no reason that it needed to happen, but SF2 got ported to almost everything, and I bet US Gold made a nice lump of cash off of it.

It even got a port to the Spectrum, which was notably slower, but at least had decent sized sprites, and the limited color palete made the graphics much less of a muddy mess than the C64.

The Gameboy version, which came out a few years later (1995), actually has a real charm to its graphics I reckon.

Interestingly, despite being the vanilla version, you can play as the bosses (well, three of them) in this. Due to the limitations of the hardware, some characters have been scrapped completely. No Vega, E Honda or Dhalism!

s75oZC0.jpg

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Twilight Princess on GameCube was Nintendo being opportunistic and it’s kinda the forgotten Zelda game on the Cube. Great game.

Orta

Banned

This game more than anything demonstrates "what could have been" this is running on the Super Nintendo, and looks so much better than the grainy visuals of the Sega CD version, back in the day this could have been released, and offers a glimpse of what games could have been like if Nintendo released the Super CD, or Super Nintendo CD add-on player in 1992...this is what it SHOULD have looked like on Sega's add on....instead it ended up looking worse than the arcade version.

That's incredible. Cobra Command would have been even more eye catching.

BlackTron

While its not a port but still its impressive.

pokemon red and blue.

Entire pokemon world on a gameboy.

I find Link's Awakening more impressive. It has roughly the same graphics as Pokemon, a top-down RPG style look, but LA also had to work as a smooth action game whereas Pokemon was a wooden-controlling RPG with random encounters. LA also began life as a port of LttP to Game Boy, so it represents their success in porting a Super Nintendo Zelda experience to Game Boy, even if it ultimately became a different title.

BlackTron

Twilight Princess on GameCube was Nintendo being opportunistic and it’s kinda the forgotten Zelda game on the Cube. Great game.

Not really an impossible port though? This was the original platform for the game. I think Nintendo were opportunistic with this game, but not by releasing in on GC. They adopted the title as a Wii launch game, and released the GC version ONLY as not to break their promise to fans. The exact same thing they did with BotW, they would have loved to cancel the WiiU game altogether but didn't want to be liars.

_Ex_

I'll start

DOOM

Minimum specs for PC were 66mhz CPU and 8mb of RAM

Not true whatsoever. I first played DOOM on a 386 25MHz with a scaled window, and it ran OK. I later played it on a 486 33MHz full screen and it ran like greased lightning. Neither PC had anything close to 8 megs of RAM either.

Here's what the DOOM box actually says:

Capture.png

The 386 max clockrate is 40 MHz, I don't know where you got the 66 MHz requirement from. Don't get me wrong, it's still impressive that DOOM ran on a SNES in any capacity. But do your homework before posting hard figures about old PC games.

As to an answer for your question, this port impressed me:

43963_front.jpg

Quasicat

Rayman 2 for the PS1 is pretty impressive. The N64 was lead platform, then the PC version led to the very capable Dreamcast version. The PS1 version came later and included voice work and more animation, but had some content cut.

Here’s a comparison of the N64 and the PS1:

Romulus

Not true whatsoever. I first played DOOM on a 386 25MHz with a scaled window, and it ran OK. I later played it on a 486 33MHz full screen and it ran like greased lightning. Neither PC had anything close to 8 megs of RAM either.

Here's what the DOOM box actually says:

Capture.png

The 386 max clockrate is 40 MHz, I don't know where you got the 66 MHz requirement from. Don't get me wrong, it's still impressive that DOOM ran on a SNES in any capacity. But do your homework before posting hard figures about old PC games.

As to an answer for your question, this port impressed me:

43963_front.jpg

I know a 386 works. This is where I got the info

And if you google doom 1993 minimum requirements or specs a 486 also comes up.

_Ex_

I know a 386 works. This is where I got the info

And if you google doom 1993 minimum requirements or specs a 486 also comes up.

I don't give a shit about any of that erroneous info. I gave you the actual legit box specs from the original release.

Romulus

I don't give a shit about any of that erroneous info. I gave you the actual legit box specs from the original release.

You asked me were I got the info then you get angry when I show you. It's not like I just came up with it out of thin air. Lol

Also, I just looked up vids of a 386 at 40mhz running it, makes sense why they recommend the 486.
Try easing up on the aggression, not everyone has a original doom box lying around from 25+ years ago. I actually looked it up from 3 sources.

Chill

Last edited:

_Ex_

Try easing up on the aggression, not everyone has a original doom box lying around from 25+ years ago.

I'm just an asshole grognard. No offense man.

For the record though, a 386 can't run past 40 MHz. So there's no way a 386 could have been the minimum processor requirement, if 66 MHz were the actual minimum clock speed.

I don't know where that site got their system requirement info, but it's all wrong.

Romulus

I'm just an asshole grognard. No offense man.

For the record though, a 386 can't run past 40 MHz. So there's no way a 386 could have been the minimum processor requirement, if 66 MHz were the actual minimum clock speed.

I don't know where that site got their system requirement info, but it's all wrong.

Np, I was actually around at that time and gaming, but I couldn't remember.

Top Bottom