• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most convoluted or weird videogame stories?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Lots of discussion about tech stuff, pc ports and scalpers. Let's talk games!

What's the most convoluted or weird story you have faced in a videogame? Which game have you played multiple times and still don't know what the fuck was all that about? Maybe there were translation issues? Or were those issues more related to drug abuse during development?

For me I think it's Alien Soldier. This Genesis/Mega Drive game should have a simple premise since it's basically an arcade shooter in the vein of Contra or Gunstar Heroes, although far more about the boss fights than anything else. Well, it's not simple at all. Apparently you are the conciusness of a former terrorist group leader living inside a boy as a parasire, who somehow transforms into an eagle and now you have to fight the current terrorist leader because he's just too based and the other terrorists have become scared of his new boss's power, or some shit like that which I'm not 100% sure about since the game throws a giant wall of text right at the beggining which is never ever referenced again. Game is very cool tho.

Let's find out which is the most weird of them all, and also if they were at all in the first place or if maybe just maybe we were a bit too dense at that moment. :lollipop_content:

What do you think GAF? Have you encountered any story in a game that made you scratch you head and go "what were they thinking when writing this"?

Chukhopops

Recently I’d say Scarlet Nexus. It starts as a basic Shonen with soldier kids but at the end of the story
you find out that there humans on the moon who reverse colonized Earth two thousand years ago and your dad who is supposed to be also dead 2000 years ago is actually the boss of your unit who steals your powers every time you get born in order to travel to a new alternate timeline where he tries to save his girlfriend. But going to this timeline creates a black hole that’s going to swallow the entire planet unless you, the hero, die. Also there’s dust from space that turns humans into monsters and people’s brains are used to fuel a supercomputer like in Psycho Pass.

Last edited:

Excess

Kingdom Hearts is definitely one where I don't know where to start, but I have heard that Black Ops 3 is an absolute mess, as well.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
497778-killer-is-dead-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg

Last edited:

Fbh

Yeah definitely MGS.
I understood 1 fine, then with 2 and 3 it got more complicated but I still got like 80% of it, then by the end of 4 when everyone was going into 40 minute long monologues it lost me completely.

I also remember being disappointed by how convoluted the story in Chrono Cross gets, specially the second half. It wasn't until years later that I found some explanations online to help me get what was going on.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Vast majority of JRPGs are tied for first place
Nah some of them are pretty straight forward, like most FF or DQ titles. Even SMT titles are understandable if you put some time into them.

That said, I would bet that out of the 5 weirdest game stories, 4 are from JRPGs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

kingfey

Banned
alien colonial marines code error
"The mistake relates to the alien's "tether" in the code. A tether is the area in the game where the alien is programmed to move in - and how it can exit this "tether" and move to another. However, a crucial piece of code spelled it "teather", which meant an important part of gameplay simply didn't happen"

TintoConCasera

alien colonial marines code error
"The mistake relates to the alien's "tether" in the code. A tether is the area in the game where the alien is programmed to move in - and how it can exit this "tether" and move to another. However, a crucial piece of code spelled it "teather", which meant an important part of gameplay simply didn't happen"
I meant story as in the game's lore and storyline, not stories related to weird gaming stuff.

That said... Yeah, fuck Randy.

GymWolf

I know that one too! I remember struggling with it, as I played it as a child when I came to Germany, but I couldn't speak/read german back then 😂
Mine was in italian but i was very little and it was my first game on a pc ever, a point and click nevertheless, played that one and never touched the genre again except for the 4th monkey island game for some reason...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
NieR’s main story is not really convoluted but the lore and connection between Drakengard and NieR can be very convoluted.

• Thoughtful

arvfab

Banned
Mine was in italian but i was very little and it was my first game on a pc ever, a point and click nevertheless, played that one and never touched the genre again except for the 4th monkey island game for some reason...

I would have understood the italian version 😂

I grew up with P&C games, still one of my favorite genres, probably helped me to learn english and german.

GymWolf

I would have understood the italian version 😂

I grew up with P&C games, still one of my favorite genres, probably helped me to learn english and german.
Kinda same, l learned english via vg and serial tv, i stopped watching italian stuff like 15+ years ago, i don't even have the antenna cable connected...

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I unashamedly love all three, but the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy. Starts in media res, but has no "fish out of water," character like Tidus in FFX to act as an audience proxy and give a justified plot reason to have simple, common game-world things explained to him/her/the audience, so you get inundated with "Pulse Fal'Cie," "Pulse L'Cie," "Sanctum Fal'Cie," "Sanctum L'Cie," "C'ieth," "Focus," "PSICOM," "Guardian Corps," etc.

Game about fighting fate has an entire trilogy where you do exactly what each respective antagonist wants, up to the end of the third game, when, after 1,000 years, Lightning is like "You know, maybe I should just tell the God like entity to fuck off before I do exactly as he asks,"

FFXIII: Barthandelus: destroy Cocoon
Party: No, bruh
Party: destroys Cocoon

FFXIII-2: Caius: Kill the Goddess and stop time, ending the world!
Party: No, bruh
Party: Ends world

LRFFXIII: Bhunivelze: save souls for my new world!
Lightning: Okay.
Lightning: Wait, no, fuck this.

Everything ends relatively happily in FFXIII, until the sequel retcons that roughly five minutes after the disembodied voice of Leona Lewis finishes "My Hands," the earth opens up and swallows Lightning into the afterlife for the literal rest of eternity, and then they do the most logical thing in a convoluted story: make it about time travel.

But it's cutesy Rian Johnson "logic doesn't matter if you FEEL something," time travel, and you get gems like "If you change the future, you change the past," and the whole you're trying to figure out this Chinese proverb, you're playing that mind-numbing clock mini game. Then the game ends, and for $5.99 you go out irl and buy the real ending, and it still doesn't make sense.

Then LR happens, 500 years have passed, and these people with the weight of the apocalypse on their undying shoulders are literally wearing the same outfits and worried about the same shit that they were when they were 20 YEAR OLDS. I'm stubborn, too, I get it. But in a 1,000 year life, that's like 2% of it. Like, that would be like me spending my entire life hating my mother for letting me cry a bit too long in the crib.

Awesome games, pretty graphics, great music, awesome battle system, and the lore and elements of the story are wizard af, but some of this shit? HIGH amount of suspension of disbelief required.

Orta

Banned
Ever stop and think about something like Super Mario Bros in a literal sense?

A talking dinosaur kidnaps a Princess who rules a part of the world known as the mushroom kingdom where turtles attack you with boomerangs. To rescue her you touch a mushroom which doubles your body size, chase down a flying ship and battle a lizard perched on a ball who attacks you with his magic wand. If you are successful she invites you to her castle and rewards you with a cake which you share with midgets who wear huge mushroom hats and make bizarre squeaking noises.

Bizarre isn't it?

I won't even mention a blue hedgehog who wears trainers and snowboards down mountains.

Flabagast

Killer 7 is the obvious answer. Nearly all other answers in this thread have pretty simple story if you concentrate a little

Monolith Soft has a history of games going back to the original Xenogears that have always been tied to each other in some way. The stories are always much bigger than the game they make up, spanning countless years, even eons. There are key elements in each game that point to other games in their past, sometimes subtle, sometimes not. Each game in their library is full of massive twists and turns and often leave you more confused than anything. Every new Monolith Soft game is another piece of a giant puzzle but also expands the puzzle in new directions.

TintoConCasera

PlTa84Sl7mjgjG35b4XWfp3ctSavCvF90JhwvbP3xZs.jpg
e31a682de27bfc083b30362faafbc3a5.jpg

7c06sialuo281.png
gphhhxy642341.png

EakaRJ-X0AEheGq
sample-14b2cd5fb28e545f3d649d5b96f624c1.jpg
Never thought the anime loli universe could get so deep and dark.

Guess I should try those games some time. That said I never even beat Ikaruga so I don't know what chances would I ever have playing Touhou...

Guilty_AI

Never thought the anime loli universe could get so deep and dark.

Guess I should try those games some time. That said I never even beat Ikaruga so I don't know what chances would I ever have playing Touhou...
The normal people path is to just play Luna Nights and be done with it.

But you can always deeper.

Top Bottom