• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most memorable moments in gaming (spoilers)

adversarial

Final Fantasy Tactics and the
murder of Teta.

I was a kid and this affected me profoundly. Greatest game of all time.

dl77

• Oblivion - When you first leave the dungeons
  • GTA 3 - Just walking round a living, breathing city
  • RDR - When you get to New Mexico and Far Away starts playing
  • Bioshock - When you first see Rapture
  • CoD 4 - When your character dies in a helicopter crash
  • Uncharted 2 - Opening scene
  • BF4 - When the aircraft carrier splits in two
  • Halo - The Silent Cartographer
  • Tomb Raider - Dinosaur
  • Journey - The whole thing when you play alongside someone else
  • Flower - The last level
  • TIE Fighter - Doing secret missions for Darth Vader!
  • NARC (arcade) - Using a rocket launcher on the bad guys

There's lots more but those are some off the top of my head.

A couple springs to mind

Bruce Lee on Commodore 64, the first game I ever beat on my own. I was practically a toddler then and had to rely on my bro and sis to fire up the c64, but I managed to beat the game. I was so damn proud.

Silent Hill 2, forever the favorite. When you find out the truth about James' wife was such a powerful scene, not to mention how it puts your journey through Silent Hill in a completely different light. I don't think heavy themes like that have been handled like that since.

The Last of Us, the whole game is gold from start to finish but nothing beats that intro part. Me being a fairly fresh dad with a daughter of my own made it all the more impactful. Still can't play that part without bawling my eyes out.

Shifty

The opening sequence of Metroid Prime. That shit was crazy coming off the N64 era.

Discovering that there was a whole other world to explore when you hit the midpoint of Tales of Eternia (Tales of Destiny 2 in the US)

And more of a personal moment, but realizing that I had gotten good enough to really hold my own against Vergil 3 on my second revisit of DMC3. I cheesed my way through the game as a teen, so going back and doing it properly felt awesome.

• Playing Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the Sega Master System in 1990, when I was a kid. My first ever video game really.
  • Seeing Street Fighter 2 at the local milk bar for the first time ever. I couldnt believe how good it looked.
  • Seeing Doom for the first time on my friends PC. Both the 3D graphics and the violence blew me away.

Top Bottom