• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most memorable moments in gaming (spoilers)

Smellycat

What are some of your most memorable moments in gaming? We play tons and tons of games, yet I am sure most of us have certain moments carved in our memory, whether it is due to an emotional moment, defeating a boss, or discovering a secret. There moments that stay with you.

For me, the most memorable moment has to be discovering the inverted castle in Castlevania Symphony of The Night. I was young when I first played SOTN and the game blew me away. Everything was amazing about it. So, when I finally defeated Richter and got the "ending", something didn't feel right. I didn't know much English at the time, but I could tell that there was more, especially since I never accessed the left side of the room where you fight him.
sotnmap1.png

Little did I know that I still had an ENTIRE castle to go through. I simply thought that I had an extra room to discover. So, imagine my reaction when I found the rings, got the glasses and broke the spell over Richter! I was stunned!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8143SZk5jI

Recently, off the top of my head. Just walking around the world in Nier Automata, with the often haunting or atmospheric music in the background. I still vividly remember
walking into the amusement park, with all the robots playing, seeing the awkward heart they had carved into the distant building.

The two the come to mind for me are:

- SW: KotOR: End of the third act. You've been hearing about raven the whole game.
Only to have the villain reveal you were Raven all along and the others have been lying about you from the start.
Should have seen it coming, but baby me had no idea this was coming and it blow me apart. I had to be put the controller down and process all of it.

- Halo: The fist time you encounter the Flood. I was 8 at the time and it genuinely scared me. Now I think fondly about that time.

- Dead Space: The fly into the space dock at the start of the game. I was taken aback at just how pretty and beautiful it all looked.

PsionBolt

It's hard to narrow it down to just a few, OP. Also hard to avoid spoiling things too much!

- Chapter 6 of Mother 3
- Metal Gear Solid 2's "I need scissors, 61!" and such; also Raiden in general
- Pokemon GSC's "check your map" moment, and of course its "..." moment
- The second quests in Zelda 1 and Super Mario Bros.; not to mention "your princess is in another castle"
- Having a bad time in Undertale
- Kicking the can (or the vending machine itself) in Mega Man Legends
-
Closing the DS part of the way to have one screen reflect on the other
in Another Code

And so, so many more. Gaming is packed with wonderful memories.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Two that really stick with me:

Grand Theft Auto IV: Stalking my unwitting friend in a helicopter in Free Mode, scaring the crap out of him by shooting up his car and chasing him around for a good 20 minutes.

His face when I told him it was me the next day was fucking priceless.

Oblivion: A glitch counts as one of my all time favourite gaming moments:

In the early game, on the way to or past Kvatch (don't remember which), I stumbled across the ancient ruins of Miscarand. It looked too interesting to not look in, so I sneaked past the goblins on watch outside and delved in.

The place was monolithic and not a little imposing for my first proper attempt at a dungeon. Thinking about the potentially awesome loot, I steeled myself for the journey ahead, creeping through level after level, carefully avoiding death traps, skeletons and headless zombies (enemies that were very tough at my low level).

A couple of hours later, I reached a large antechamber. At its centre, a glowing white crystal. I hadn't seen anything like it in the game so far and, Raiders of the Lost Ark vibes aside, I knew I wanted it.

I should've listened to Indy.

As soon as I had lifted the crystal from its plinth, a section of the wall behind me cracked open. I turned. From the darkness, a terrifying apparition slowly emerged; a magnificent floating corpse crackling with magical energy and humming with the malevolence of Hypno-Toad. It was, I would later to discover, a Lich-King. Not just any Lich-King either, it was a named character: The King of Miscarand. Not gonna lie, I shat myself. Before I could apologise for intruding, he seared me to within an inch of my life with one bolt of electricity. I ducked immediately behind a pillar and carefully weighed up my situation, concluding that all I had that could benefit me in this fight was my preternatural speed.

So I fucking ran.

I ain't too proud to admit it, either. I ran straight out of the antechamber, through each of Miscarand's levels, narrowly dodging all the monstrosities I had carefully picked my way around on the way in. It had taken me the better part of a couple of hours to work my way down there, it took a few minutes to escape. Once in the daylight and out of sight of the Goblins on watch, I carried on running. I never once looked back.

A few weeks in real time later, I was visiting the Duchess (I think) in Burma. By now, I was a full fledged member of the Theives Guild, acting as the Right Hand of the Grey Fox. I was hob-nobbing with some of Cyrodil's most influential people. I was confident in my abilities, as well as my understanding of the game and its mechanics. Few obstacles couldn't be solved by guile, a bow or a sneaky knife in the back. I was practically an elite ninja at this point.

I stepped out of the keep and into the courtyard. I heard the sound of nearby battle. This seemed odd considering I was in a city. As I went to investigate, the corpse of a guard fell from the sky. What the fuck was going on? When I turned the corner, I found out: The King of Miscarand had followed me across Cyrodil and into Burma. He was now murdering guards, civilians and merchants alike to get to me. He'd even brought a couple of headless zombies for company.

He really wanted his crystal back.

The image of the Lich-King hovering slowly across the Cyrodil landscape - cursing and muttering under his breath, Hypno-Toad buzz ebbing and flowing with his emotional state - is a potent one for me. It was my first 'Next Gen' moment. This videogame character had 'remembered' my little indiscretion from dozens of hours ago and, completely unscripted, chased me across the map to settle the score.

The whole thing blew my mind.

Nothing will top playing a demo of Mario 64 at a Blockbuster kiosk prior to its release.

It's not even in my top 3 Mario games at this point, but the sense of wonder was amazing.

Coming out of the vault in Fallout 3. I went into that game completely blind, and didn’t really realize it was this open ended, open world thing. So I got out of the vault, got hit with that blinding light, and realized I could go anywhere and as I started exploring realized the whole “if you can see it, you can go there” thing. That was my first game on the Xbox 360 and first game that gen, and it totally blew my mind.

Also crossing the bridge into Mexico in Red Dead Redemption.

<snip>

That's fantastic :).

For me, the moment I landed to pick up a pilot in Rescue of Fractalus on the old Atari 800XL and it turned out to be an alien who punched my screen in. Absolutely cacked myself, not helped by the fact I qas leaning forward to adjust the volume on my TV and had my head right next to the speaker...

It looks daft now, but back then, man it was good- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZVJTlG_PlA

Blam

Two that really stick with me:

Grand Theft Auto IV: Stalking my unwitting friend in a helicopter in Free Mode, scaring the crap out of him by shooting up his car and chasing him around for a good 20 minutes.

His face when I told him it was me the next day was fucking priceless.

In the early game, on the way to or past Kvatch (don't remember which), I stumbled across the ancient ruins of Miscarand. It looked too interesting to not look in, so I sneaked past the goblins on watch outside and delved in.

The place was monolithic and not a little imposing for my first proper attempt at a dungeon. Thinking about the potentially awesome loot, I steeled myself for the journey ahead, creeping through level after level, carefully avoiding death traps, skeletons and headless zombies (enemies that were very tough at my low level).

A couple of hours later, I reached a large antechamber. At its centre, a glowing white crystal. I hadn't seen anything like it in the game so far and, Raiders of the Lost Ark vibes aside, I knew I wanted it.

I should've listened to Indy.

As soon as I had lifted the crystal from its plinth, a section of the wall behind me cracked open. I turned. From the darkness, a terrifying apparition slowly emerged; a magnificent floating corpse crackling with magical energy and humming with the malevolence of Hypno-Toad. It was, I would later to discover, a Lich-King. Not just any Lich-King either, it was a named character: The King of Miscarand. Not gonna lie, I shat myself. Before I could apologise for intruding, he seared me to within an inch of my life with one bolt of electricity. I ducked immediately behind a pillar and carefully weighed up my situation, concluding that all I had that could benefit me in this fight was my preternatural speed.

So I fucking ran.

I ain't too proud to admit it, either. I ran straight out of the antechamber, through each of Miscarand's levels, narrowly dodging all the monstrosities I had carefully picked my way around on the way in. It had taken me the better part of a couple of hours to work my way down there, it took a few minutes to escape. Once in the daylight and out of sight of the Goblins on watch, I carried on running. I never once looked back.

A few weeks in real time later, I was visiting the Duchess (I think) in Burma. By now, I was a full fledged member of the Theives Guild, acting as the Right Hand of the Grey Fox. I was hob-nobbing with some of Cyrodil's most influential people. I was confident in my abilities, as well as my understanding of the game and its mechanics. Few obstacles couldn't be solved by guile, a bow or a sneaky knife in the back. I was practically an elite ninja at this point.

I stepped out of the keep and into the courtyard. I heard the sound of nearby battle. This seemed odd considering I was in a city. As I went to investigate, the corpse of a guard fell from the sky. What the fuck was going on? When I turned the corner, I found out: The King of Miscarand had followed me across Cyrodil and into Burma. He was now murdering guards, civilians and merchants alike to get to me. He'd even brought a couple of headless zombies for company.

He really wanted his crystal back.

The image of the Lich-King hovering slowly across the Cyrodil landscape - cursing and muttering under his breath, Hypno-Toad buzz ebbing and flowing with his emotional state - is a potent one for me. It was my first 'Next Gen' moment. This videogame character had 'remembered' my little indiscretion from dozens of hours ago and, completely unscripted, chased me across the map to settle the score.

The whole thing blew my mind.

this is beautiful what a great encounter.

bionic77

Here are some that I don't think anyone else will name.

Daytona, Street Fighter2 and Mortal Kombat at the arcade. There were a ton of other games but these were the most popular with me and my friends. SF2 in particular was a phenomenon. I don't want to know how much money I have spent on that game between quarters and the various expensive as shit carts on the SNES.

Super Mario Bros on the NES. Mind blowing game when it came out. To go from the Atari to that was a ridiculous leap. Hard to understand unless you were there.

Playing Warcraft 2 online (first time I played online) and somehow I got the same feeling going online with the Dreamcast (not sure why it was so cool playing games online on the DC as I had done it many years before on the PC at college). Seemed magical at the time, especially when I hooked my PC up in the mid 90s to the college network.

Playing Winning Eleven on the PS2. God we wasted so many hours on that game. It was glorious.

Seeing my friend get the Sega CD for the Genesis and the 3D glasses for the Master System. Neither one had a ton of supported but the MS glasses looked amazing and watching video on your console in the early 90s kind of blew our minds. Neither got a lot of us by him for long, but that initial moment was pretty epic.

A lot of others, but I will end with seeing Dragon's Lair for the first time. I fucking hated playing the game once I realized what it was (but eventually I somehow grew to appreciate it), but Jesus H Christ at those graphics in the 80s.

Dipship31

Defeating the Dragon Lord in the original Dragon Warrior (was really the first game I ever played through)
Seeing Star Fox the first time
Getting a Game Gear for my 10th birthday
Scavenging every department store imaginable trying to find Goldeneye and when I finally did that feeling...
Playing Mario 64 and getting that 1st star
First time playing 4-player original Smash Bros.
Walking into Kokiri Forest the first time (OoT)
Playing Counter-Strike after upgrading my PC and getting DSL
Seeing Dreamcast in motion the first time (Crazy Taxi most notably)
Playing online matches in NFL 2K1
First online matches of Halo 2
Picking up my 360 after waiting all night at Sears, finding out the truck was delayed, and getting it 2 weeks later
Surviving 1,000,000 points in Geometry Wars
Cod 4 multiplayer
Walking Dead S1 ending

I'm rarely blown away by actual scripted moments within videogames, I just have more fond memories really surrounding the games themselves than the actual game.

1. Inverted Castle in SotN is definitely top 5 for me.

2. Driving at night half way through a real 24hr le man's race on the game for Dreamcast. It was beautiful, so next gen and I got goose bumps at that moment. Such a great game.

3. The mother brain fight in Super Metroid. Incredible. To this day one of the best boss fights in history.

4. The Flood fight in Halo 1. So hectic. My brother and I white knuckled it the whole way through that level.

5. Last 2 levels and boss fights in Dead Space 2. So trippy. The eye ball minigame. The unkillable stalking monster. The trippy fight at the end. So good. Such a shame the series ended with the disappointing 3 otherwise this would be a great send off. That whole game was a trip honestly. I could go on about the return to the Ishimura and that'd be great all by itself.

Bamboo

Spelunky
The last boss. I was so tensed up and only managed to beat him once in a lot of playthroughs.

Stephen's Sausage Roll
The game is full of fantastic surprises. I think Dead End wow-ed me the most, just because I didn't suspect it to pull a trick like this out of its sleeve.

Lynchian

Bombing Mission / Opening, Leaving Midgar, Sephiroth going ham in Nibelheim, Cosmo Canyon Lifestream lecture, Aerith
dying.
, Cloud's
true identity is revealed
- FFVII

DJIzana

Earthbound - Ness' Nightmare, in particular but so many moments of that game. It defined how I viewed JRPG's as a kid (I never got into them until playing this game. Used to hate them). Going to Summers, Twoson, Tenda Swamp/Village, and, OH... during my first playthrough? Getting the Gutsy bat with Ness then looking back years later at realizing how rare of an item it was!

Chrono Cross - The setting and the music particularly. I couldn't tell you how excited I was at the time as a kid. EVERY day I was sooo anxious to play this and it's still one of my favorites. The art style... I still wish I had a game this stylized. The entire map, first time in a game where I've loved every area I've visted in an RPG.

Chrono Trigger
- Letting Lara's mom die during my first playthrough not realizing how to enter the password properly
(still was new to RPG's at this time). Along with experiencing the trial and meeting Frog and other party members for the first time.

Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 and 2 - Entire game but, more particularly, all of Episode 2. Was my favorite just exploring the beach in Ultimate mode along with the Mountain and Seabed areas. The Dark Falz battle in Episode 1 and the Forest too.

Final Fantasy Tactics - being blown away by the story and the combat (and how in depth you could go with classes at the time), the lore and the music.

Ragnarok Online - Just grouping with friends and listening to the awesome soundtrack, being able to import my own music to each zone, especially, PvPing with friends or fighting bosses. Going to Comodo, Outside Prontera or Christmas time at Lutie / finding holes with socks against Antonio.

Xenoblade Chronicles X - The world and yep, for me, the music. Being able to explore in Skells, just... the scope Monolith Soft achieved on the Wii U. Seeing Noctilum at Night finding this one hidden cave which how it looked... or Sylvalum during different weather effects... remarkable. Even Primorida I'm just as excited for Xenoblade 2 as I was with X and the original Xenoblade.

NieR Automata - I've never played the original but good God do I wish they remastered this along with older Drakengard games. The OST and story and character design blew me away and surprised the heck out of me! Finding the Lunar Tear and seeing that area along with the Flooded City or even the first area you start off with. Loved it!

Final Fantasy XV - Lestallum, Galdin Quay and Duscae (along with fighting the Catoblepus) and the last fight and music. I enjoyed those the most.

Jmille99

Metal Gear Solid 2 and the
section with the glitchy Colonel. Actually fooled me enough to turn the game off thinking something would magically "work" when I turn it back on

h0tp0ck3t

Danganronpa 2
Chiaki's death. Still can't bring myself to replay the game ;_;

and for something old school
OG Deus Ex
Coming out of the Majestic 12 prison and being in the bottom level of the UNATCO base was fucking legendary. Realizing you were working for the enemy up until that point and that the NSF were actually the good guys

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
Purely spontaneous gamplay moment, but I'll never forget it.

In the original Gears of War, I was locked to cover, and aiming to shoot at a Locust. He fired a rocket at me, and I went right back into cover and the rocket zoomed over my head missing me.

It was one of those, holy shit this game is awesome moments that you usually see in cutscenes.

A few favorites of mine. Mass effect 1, i had put about 20 or so hours into my first play through. We land on virmire. And an hour into the mission something goes horribly wrong. I had to choose between the life kaiden alenko, my
Go to talking buddy after missions, or ashely, my
Romance option in the game and she had become my
Go to tank party member. It was a
Tough choice but i chose ashely
Assuming kaiden would be saved at the last minute by some plot device. But he wasnt, he was wiped from my party and never before mass effect had i felt so attatched to my rpg party. It was a punch to the gut. I also vividly remember holding back some manly tears when i got
To spiral mountain in nuts in bolts, it was amazing to see it done in such detail, and almost tragic and nostalgic to see
The destroyed bridge and dried up lake under the
waterfall, rare put such love into crafting that game
And its a shame its under appreciated.

asagami_

Banned
This is recent for me, but the fight with Tower Knight in Demon Souls was so fucking awesome, and I think even if is the second Demon you can fight, I feel it like it's the first "true" boss battle in the game.

By the way, my gaming session with Etrian Odyssey IV was very good. I bought the game two years ago but just this year I play it. Now's my faith.

xviper

MGS 3, Snake torture scene, probably one of the best cutscenes in gaming

the first time you see the first colossus in Shadow of the colossus, i was blown away by his size

when i killed False king in Demon's souls for the first time and finished the game, that was probably the most proud moment in gaming for me because i finished the game in one day ( i killed the first boss then got fucked by tower knight and quit for few months then came back and finished it in one day), it was my first souls game and i did it without knowing about Lock-on, and did it solo

when i played online for the first time, it was Killzone 2, was an amazing new experience, after playing KZ2 for like a day, i bought Uncharted 2, and wow, what a masterpiece that was, the MP i mean

Playing a rented copy of OoT for the first time as a kid. I played an existing file left the Kokiri forest at night and stalkids spawned on the bridge. It scared me so bad I didn't finish the game until the Zelda collection came out on the GameCube.

• The FFVIII demo was the first time in my life I was truly blown away by the graphics of something
  • Persona 4
    riding away on the train
  • Ocarina of Time riding Epona for the first time

wamberz1

Mass Effect:
Convincing Saren to kill himself and skipping that entire boss phase.

This was on my second run and my paragon hadn't been high enough to do it last time, so it blew my fucking mind.

antitrop

The most recent one that will last with me for a long time was in The Division Beta. I was in the Dark Zone with my own group of friends, when we found 2 other guys that seemed like easy pickings. We chased them down streets and alleyways for probably a good 5 minutes before they accidentally ran into a dead end.

After we killed them, I got a message on Twitter from my friend Soulflarz asking me if I just murdered him in The Division. I had forgotten that his PSN name was different from the one he uses on GAF and elsewhere, so I didn't even realize it was him that we were chasing until he messaged me. It was a neat coincidence.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Mass Effect: Meeting Sovereign for the first time.

Still sends chills down my spine.

CaptNink

This is a recent example, but 'The Ladies of the Wood' questline in the Witcher 3 has really stuck with me.

I just found that whole part of the game completely enthralling and it was my personal turning point in the game (up to that point, I was a bit "meh" with the game).

Everything about that quest just resonated with me: the creepiness factor, the music, the storyline....the whole kit n' kaboodle. One of my most memorable gaming experiences by far.

Kaji AF16

Among many other moments that I will never forget, I can speedily mention:

-Playing Captain Tsubasa (NES) for the first time.
-Defeating Brazil in the last match of Captain Tsubasa 2 (NES), still my GOAT.
-Roaming in the Okaar forests in Outcast (PC).
-Several moments from Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360).
-Several moments from Red Dead Redemption (Xbox 360).
-The last moments from Halo: Reach (Xbox 360).
-Most of my The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Xbox One) very long playthrough.

Dadasch

Aeris' Death in FFVII looks so cheesy nowadays, but it was an extremely emotional scene for me back in the day.

My fight against Artorias was awesome. Greatest Boss in Dark Souls...by far.

The first Town in RE4. That was something else at that time. Truly revolutionary game in my eyes.

Oh and BB when it gets fucked up till the end. GOAT, easily.

BluePigGaming

Neo Member
One of them has to be from the original Pokémon games. You beat the Elite Four, and think that you won. But then you hear his music. That stupid Gary theme. You have one more fight left. It’s a great moment and I think it’s one of the best final bosses in gaming.

HylianTom

Banned
From just 2017:

-after months of fantasizing about what I’d do, where I’d go, etc.. jumping off of The Great Plateau in Breath of the Wild. I was immediately assaulted by a swarm of keese, chased a falling star to where I drew the attention of a Guardian, and then hid in some ruins until it decided to wonder off. At that point, I knew I was in for a special experience.

-fighting the third big boss in Mario + Rabbids. I reached him right after midnight on a Saturday night. I laughed. A lot.

-crossing over in The Bridge. It was a very Twilight Zone-ish moment. Really loved the music and the aesthetic.

-unexpectedly stumbling upon the Rito Village in Breath of the Wild. It was nighttime when I got there. I didn’t know where I was until I realized that I was listening to a somber version of the Dragon Roost Island theme. So. Many. Tears.

OrbOutrider

Neo Member
Blooborne. Almost beating Orphan of Kos on first try then proceeding to get my ass handed to me for like 50 times. After I've beaten him I lost all will to continue because for me, it was the end of the game. No other boss fight can top that.

On the other hand, Mass Effect 2's suicide mission. The music still hypes me up when I hear it.

Mobius01

Sonic 2: Turning into Super Sonic. Didn't know it was gonna happen. Totally lost my shit and I'm sure I let out a girly squeek of excitement.

Max Payne 3: Entering the airport terminal with Tears playing in the background. Goosebumps.

Silent Hill 2: When you realise you
killed Mary

MOH: Frontline: "Your Finest Hour" level.

Earthbound, the final boss fight.
When Paula prayed directly to me, by name.
Blew my then 11 year old mind.

Similarly, the ending of 999. It still gives me chills.

Safros

The one that sticks out most in my mind, mostly because it happened recently, is in FFXIV right before you start the Nidhogg fight. I just really like all the build up to that fight and the music that was playing with Nidhogg standing in the background. It was so well done that I had to walk away from the game for a few minutes just to think about all that had just happened.

Unfortunately when I came back and queued up the fight, I realized too late that I had also queued for the dungeon again, which I had to redo with a much less competent group than before.
The boss battle and its phases were great though, when I finally got there, especially the music throughout it all.

Another one is probably the FFVI opera scene. It just really stuck with me for some reason.

There's probably more but I can't really think of too many others right now.

Top Bottom