• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most misleading game trailers of all time

sendit

Horizon's supposedly capture on Playstation 5 trailer looks nothing like the final game. Especially the final shot where she goes through this lush forest.
Horizon's second gameplay trailer released mere months before the final game didnt even have the mission in the final game.
GIF by South Park

Majormaxxx

Cyberpunk is by far the worst offender.
Cyberpunk was the worst. The fact it couldn't run well on the most powerful last Gen console, one x, was infuriating. You couldn't drive in this game without it hitching.. The fact that they hid console footage.. They promoted it as one thing but it was another...

Larxia

This immediately comes to mind:

It's super weird to look at these fake CG trailers again today, because they really don't look that great anymore and we have actual games looking much better, so it doesn't seem that fake anymore.
I think it was mostly just the actual ps3 games, the actual assets, but pre rendered for high image quality / motion blur / lighting, because we can still see poor textures from that era. It's a very strange looking result, kind of "uncanny valley" but for graphics generations, if that makes any sense.

GymWolf

All time is obvious. Motostorm, KZ2, Halo 2, Watch Dogs, Uncharted 4, Rainbow Six, Division etc.

The fact that we are getting these misleading trailers in the 2020s is even more aggravating. It's like these publishers think we are fools and wont notice the downgrades.

Horizon's supposedly capture on Playstation 5 trailer looks nothing like the final game. Especially the final shot where she goes through this lush forest.
Horizon's second gameplay trailer released mere months before the final game didnt even have the mission in the final game.
Halo Infinite's original trailer featured new wildlife herds, gorgeous visuals, and incredible lighting that was missing from the final game.
Forza Horizon 5's original reveal had far better foliage than in the final game even on PC.
Don't you think that kz2 and motorstorm are on a tier on their own compared to your other examples?

They would both looks acceptable in 2022, that was the level of bullshittery on stage...

Last edited:

sainraja

This immediately comes to mind:

I think they came pretty close to that. If you are just speaking graphically then I guess sure.....I am ignoring the parts in the trailer that were just for dramatic effect although some of that was kind of possible in gameplay too (but your perspective would be different).

The story behind this trailer, is that it was a concept trailer for the internal dev team, as a goal of what they wanted to achieve, but someone at sony marketing decided to use it for e3 anyways without consulting the dev team.
Can you imagine the dev team being caught by surprise when that trailer started to be shown.
I can't imagine the levels of pressure, seriously.

And at the end it kind of...worked out for them. Honestly to this day the game looks great. It's still seen as the best Killzone game, the multiplayer was a blast, etc...

GymWolf

Did someone remember the famous fmw dance scene of ff8 that ps2 was supposed to render in real time??

Good times...

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Did someone remember the famous fmw dance scene of ff8 that ps2 was supposed to render in real time??

Good times...

To be fair, this was a tech demo and the PS2 ended up doing a lot better than this by the end (MGS2, 3 and plenty more).

fart town usa

Gold Member

Not so much "most misleading" but I think the biggest disappointment was the lack of destructible environments. Granted, I haven't played the game since it first released but I think everyone was disappointed in the end result. The Bouncer still gets brought up on a regular basis here because of how disappointing it was, lol.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

The audio logs were great, but it just irritates me how it amounts to nothing for the game itself. Nor did the trailers of chief vs locke. The idea of chief going rogue wouldve been so much better if 1: they didnt reveal why he went rogue WHEN HE GOES ROGUE. And 2: if there was more levity with trying to find him and why he decided to go rogue. (Bringing cortana back was the root of this issue if you ask me)

Even the fight between chief and locke felt underwhelming, when i was expecting these two super hero-like supersoldiers brawl, i was thinking something out of red vs blue, not two armor hotdogs hugging eachother.

Yeah that's the thing. HTT and the advertising before Guardians were intriguing. HTT was really good...Then...The game had absolutely nothing to do with it and the whole Chief gone rogue thing was barely a thing.

343 has had no kind of consistency so far.

Can't believe people are telling me that Death Stranding's trailers aren't misleading. What about those trailers indicates that the game is mostly about hiking through the mountains delivering packages?

93xfan

Banned
Ah the olden days of Sony trying to pass off CG as representative of PS3 games graphics.
Man, the fanboys are out with their plain faces today. All you’re doing is stating facts.

What’s it like being stuck in 2006, Rivet and Tazzu? Going to tell me the Killzone 2 trailer was surpassed as well?

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Yeah sony was writing a lot of checks that they could not cash in 2005-2006 in regards to their graphical quality
I was gullible enough to believe at least some of it was in game. Man they sure set me up for disappointment. When I got my 360, I liked it but kept anticipating a noticeable jump when PS3 came out

BodhiHogie

Neo Member
The Alien game from Gearbox.

This is the most egregious example for me personally. Randy Pitchford speaking reverently about his respect for the property, the impressive demo presentation that looked absolutely nothing like the game… I will never buy anything Pitchford is associated with.
Glad for Alien Isolation. That was great.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I was gullible enough to believe at least some of it was in game. Man they sure set me up for disappointment. When I got my 360, I liked it but kept anticipating a noticeable jump when PS3 came out
Same here, i remember going to my friends house to play his launch ps3 since i didnt get one til 09, and was dissapointed to see that tony hawks project 8 looked just like tony hawks project 8 for the 360

DoABarrelRoll

Neo Member
I'll post all the commercials of the nintendo 64, not all are misleading, but there are some that are such as tonic trouble and others.

Top Bottom