• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most shameful game purchase?

172216-sonic-the-hedgehog-xbox-360-front-cover.jpg

I don't know about purchase, but one of the worst games I ever played was State of Emergency for PLAYSTATION 2.

I think I actually lost the game and couldn't return it to Blockbuster video where I rented it from.

Anyways, one of the worst piles of shit I have ever played.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
And I'll probably fall into the same trap with SF6 rather than buying the inevitable Hyper Champion Arcade Turbo (aka actually complete) edition 18 months later.
You're gonna be waiting a whole lot longer than 18 months lol; see you when SF7 gets revealed.

Valedix

Well, judging by some on GAF, my most shameful and heinous purchase will come when I triple dip on TLOU and get the remake.

PS3, Xbox 360, PS4 2 times for some reason (I think cause I traded in and bought again lol), Steam so I guess 5 is all I can think of but still yeah.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Maybe

yu-no-a-girl-who-chants-love-at-the-bound-of-the-world_462598.jpg

It's a legendary VN from the NEC PC-98 days but I have not played it yet.

I have reached the age where I have more money to spend on games than time to play them. I have like 2000+ games on Steam and have only played about 20 of them (but for several hundred hours). I find this practice of collecting (purchasing) games but not playing them a bit wasteful and ridiculous. I am more of a pc game collector than player at this point. I do most of my gaming on console.

I pre-ordered the $119 edition of Battlefield 2042 (but I have played a ton of it and still play it).

I own a ton of Star Citizen stuff. I enjoy it, but have spent too much.

I did have the good sense not to buy Anthem though.

SSfox

Forza 3. Back then i've seen many people in the internet comparing it to GT5 epicness wise, so i said ok let's try this. But it's was just another normal OK game with nothing special, fortunately the videogame store guy was a friend so i could send it back the day after and got my money back.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Maybe

yu-no-a-girl-who-chants-love-at-the-bound-of-the-world_462598.jpg

It's a legendary VN from the NEC PC-98 days but I have not played it yet.

Why is this embarrassing? Do you mean that you own but haven't played it yet?

For me probably...

get-it-while-its-hot.900x.jpg

Man I loved that shirt, eventually the image just washed off and it got holes under the arms, so I threw it out but it was fun while it lasted.

Last edited:
Nothing that I can remember from recent times but I do remember Soldier of Fortune Payback coming out for 360 and rushing out the next day to buy it (which included a 40 minute bus ride). The store had probably 2 or 3 copies and I had to ask them if they had it as it wasn’t on shelves (probably should have been a red flag lol).

It wasn’t very good but I enjoyed it at the game. Absolutely shockingly bad compared to the first two games though.

tommib

Witcher 3 on sale.

Series S which I sold after getting a PS5. I should’ve just waited for the PS5 instead of spending 300 euros on that machine. Thankfully I resold it at the same price. I sold it the moment the whole Activision buyout drama started and because I stopped using it the moment I got the PS5.

And honestly I’m embarrassed for buying a Switch OLED. Super expensive and I miss the small Lite format. I’m a victim of marketing.

Marketing Product GIF by GrowthX

SJRB

Gold Member
I bought Watchdogs Legion for PS5 a month or two ago knowing full well I didn't like the game because I played it at launch on PC.

Then I went ahead and bought Assassin's Creed Valhalla knowing full well I didn't like the game AT ALL because I played it before, but I saw the Northman and wanted some viking action.

I make terrible decisions sometimes.

Cornbread78

The $90 Digital Delux version of Anthem I "played" meaning I got booted to space for 3 hours before deleting that shit.

Zimmy68

s-l640.jpg

I remember IGN giving it a glowing preview. I paid the extra $$$ to get the bonus Goblin mission.
Then it was released.

Orta

Banned
Toss up between these two absolutely shambolic ports and I bought them knowing how bad they were.

P1580019.JPG

Ikari_warriors_NES.jpg

Last edited:

TrebleShot

Diablo 2 Resurrected.
Got it recently based off a recommndation on here.

Im not sure ill ever boot it up again, you probably need to have played the original release to fully enjoy this but by todays standards its woeful, just so simplistic and basic. The moves are so badly animated, horrible.

BlackTron

This might sound tame but the most shame I have is buying the new Lego Star Wars day one digital at full price on Xbox. Buying a full price game day one is unheard of for me, unless it's a really must-have physical copy of a game I've been highly anticipating, that I don't expect to need a ton of patches. So Mario for example.

I just really wanted to play the game and figured I'd give 2022 life a chance playing it on next-gen and not worrying about swapping (or keeping track of/storing) a disc. So I downloaded it, played it one day, then some unexpected stuff happened in real life and I haven't gone back to the game yet.

In the brief interim time since it's gone on sale like twice, we gamers are idiots.

Back to the OPs topic, are there really no decent racers to play? Even on Switch? Too bad you didn't get a regular Switch to begin with so you didn't have to use an android box to look for a game on TV lol. There has to be a thousand racing games on there that aren't P2W they can't all be bad.

I'm this close to buying the Nekopara games every time they're on sale.
Having family in my Steam friends list is the only thing that stopped me (I can't be arsed to create an alt account just for these lol).

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Diablo 2 Resurrected.
Got it recently based off a recommndation on here.

Im not sure ill ever boot it up again, you probably need to have played the original release to fully enjoy this but by todays standards its woeful, just so simplistic and basic. The moves are so badly animated, horrible.
I was so tempted to buy this on PS5 recently, I like Diablo3 and like the look of Diablo 4, but I think I would be in the same boat as you, I think you kind of had to be there at the time to enjoy the nostalgia.

It looks very stiff animation wise and I know they couldn't alter the source code etc. It looks really nice but I may pick up on sale at some point....... or just wait for Diablo 4.

Jadsey

Sea of Thieves is simultaneously the worst and best purchasing experience for me.

Worst: I bought it and it was basically a pretty sea simulator at launch ( I know it's a million times better now!)

Best: I took it back the very next day, and claimed it wasn't a proper game. The store manager, who had also played it himself, agreed with me and I got a full refund! Gotta exercise those consumer rights if you feel like you've been shafted!

Last edited:
Top Bottom