• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most technically impressive game of the 7th generation?

Joe T.

Grand Theft Auto V gets my vote. It was the perfect way to send off that generation of consoles for me.

Lots of technically impressive games mentioned in this thread. Anyone saying any of them looked like shit deserves to be tied to a chair staring at Bubsy 3D on PS1.

Blues1990

As far as the Wii is concerned, I think Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid: Other M, DKCR, Xenoblade, & Muramasa: The Demon Blade, are pretty impressive.

Super-Mario-Galaxy-Screenshot-4.jpg

Metroid-Other-M-Screenshot-3.jpg

DKCR-Screenshot-5.jpg

Xenoblade-Chronicles-Screenshot-5.jpg

dolphin2013-03-2114-2nlrnn.png

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
GoW3.

Halo 4 runner up.

Edit: Rating these solely on visual achievement. For overall technical achievement, will have to mull that over a bit more.

tasch

Banned
Not to be overly contrarian, but the fact so much discussion is placed purely on visual feedback seems to disregard much of what is technically impressive in games to begin with.

You can look at a game like halo 4, and we can compare it to reach, I would say that neither are technically superior as many of the graphic upgrades come at the cost of other meaningful changes. How often have you backtracked through a level in halo 4? Not much because many of the doors lock on you. How often have you been able to save the location of a sniper-rifle or power weapon in halo 4, and been able to return to it? Not often, this is because the number of assets in the scene is much more limited (just blow up a covie tower and see how many gibs are made and how long they sit around for), and while the base geometry, lighting and other aspects have been improved, it's done so at the cost of scale and gameplay. The maps are more linear, offer less freedom and exploration, are much smaller and so forth. So is it really technically superior? Is there anything superior about diminishing gameplay in favor of graphics in a medium which is defined by gameplay and not visuals?

Perhaps its best to look at other technically impressive accomplishments in games. I think a game like gta5 does an amazing job at offering up a consistent online component in a world with extraordinary scale. A game like minecraft struggles to load chunks of the world for 1-2 players, and rockstar has managed to develop an online infrastructure that allows for several people to all share within one global massive game-space with nearly as many hiccups (and it looks very good to boot). Forza is another game that stands out for me in that it offers an immense amount of physics calculations on the spot, no it doesn't look as good as gran turismo in a realism litmus test but that's besides the point (imo). Another game would be halo 3, not because of of graphics again, but because of its novel lighting method, producing actual dynamic range lighting by rendering 2 separate frame buffers with different lighting configurations then combining it to produce some of the best results, period. Even more impressive is that in split screen co-op, each view gets its own render output running at their own framerate giving you the best results for any home competitive setting. Maybe even something like shadow run which attempted to combine pc and console gamers. Trying to develop drivers and support for pc and console protocols from different devices and configuration of devices on a sinngle pvp system would also be an incredibly tricky feat, not to mention trying to balance the entire game out etc.

if anything, visuals are some of the lesser impressive feats of games. You can make some really amazing looking games with simple tricks and art.

Terra

technically speaking, nothing impressed me more than seeing Xenoblade crammed into the weak Wii. No loading times, no glitches, not a fucking thing. Mindblowing achievement

Absolutely this. Extremely well made game. A real achievement!

Tagyhag

Pure technical standpoint?

GTA V, Xenoblade, and Just Cause 2.

Special mention goes to DMC4 for the PC. Even on Legendary Dark Knight mode, a potato could get 200+ fps on that game.

tasch

Banned
Not to take anything away from Beyond, it's a great game and story (like all of QD's games IMO), but it has no place on a technical achievements of the generations list. Their games are way too limited in interaction, control, and AI. The whole thing's basically like that Shenmue Passport demo with the character heads/faces that were 10-20x more advanced/detailed than what was used in the actual game. In other words a tech demo. If you limit the scope enough, almost anyone could dump insane quality assets in a static environment, the problem is no one else gets (or perhaps wants) 10's of millions of dollars to make that type of game except QD.

I think this statement is ridiculous as a method of demarcating which titles should qualify. For arguments sake we could keep making arbitrary goalposts. If the game isn't online/multiplayer, is that less technically impressive because they lack a technical component (a complicated one at that)? If anything you've just pointed out the problem of relying strictly on graphics for making a decision. We should be focused on well rounded examples, games that not only perform well, but have to do so under stressful environments or with complex infrastructure of gameplay systems. Even then, is it technically impressive to have a game with 1000 unique animations or is it more technically impressive to have a game with 50 animations combined so that thousands of animations can be generated?

Forza Horizon

in my humblest of opinions.
This. Some of the very best IQ on the Xbox, absolutely locked framerate, zero tearing, draw distances that go on for miles and miles, a great physics model with extremely low latency, open world with day/night cycle, rally surfaces and all the usual assorted Forza goodness. An end to end technical achievement that's quality on every level.

I loved a lot of other games on the Xbox and PS3 but none of them set the bar on every level like Horizon. Most have framerate or jaggy issues or are much smaller in scope. Beyond Two Souls for instance looks gobsmacking, but considering just how very little game there is I don't really hold it in all that high esteem.

Sande

GTAV and the Last of Us. Last of Us has amazing lighting on top of an already gorgeous game and GTAV's open world is unbelievable for 7th gen.

gngf123

Is that a wii game? If so lol
That would be Xenoblade, and it definitely counts.

Sometimes it can be a little obvious just how many shortcuts they needed to take to get it running, but it is still technically very impressive. There are more ways to be impressive than just pumping out Crysis 3 graphics.

Outside of the aforementioned games already, to spice things up, I feel Yazuka Ishin looks spectacular even on the PS3. Dem facial animations mang. I'm not really sure if I would count that as a 7th gen game though.

Beyond Two Souls. Textures, modelling, lighting, effects were all very impressive. In parts definitely looked like it could compete with some of the early next gen games. Other than that I would say Last of Us and God of War 3, maybe Ascension as well.

Probably Uncharted 2. I just got Beyond not that long ago and it is a beauty, Im just gonna give the edge to U2 because at the time, I think that was more impressive.

Bumhat

technically speaking, nothing impressed me more than seeing Xenoblade crammed into the weak Wii. No loading times, no glitches, not a fucking thing. Mindblowing achievement

I'm going to have to give this another nod, because I'm playing through Xenoblade for the first time at the moment and I just cannot believe what they've managed to squeeze out of the Wii's hardware. There are obviously prettier games out there but technically speaking it is absolutely astonishing.

The only games that wowed me were at the beginning of the generation.

Oblivion, exiting the sewers to see the landscape. Only game where i've just stood and smoothly rotated the camera like a tech demo.

Gears Of War. Graphics and great gameplay. Also the only game where multiplayer truly hooked me. I haven't touched multi-player games since this.

God Of War 3. The scale of the boss battles and the overall texture quality was amazing.

Feindflug

Forza Horizon actually.

I mean read digital foundry's thing on it (Eurogamer) They constantly talk about how impressive it is, especially in terms of IQ and overall performance.

Really excited to see what Playground does this next gen.

If Horizon is an indication I'm sure we'll see some really impressive stuff from Playground this gen.

plainr_

GTA V. It's really a technical masterpiece once you see past the shit IQ.

As for linear games, the Uncharted series. U2 to me is the best looking game of last gen.

Killzone 2 is runner up. Gritty and beautiful.

impact

Banned
GTAV and the Last of Us. Last of Us has amazing lighting on top of an already gorgeous game and GTAV's open world is unbelievable for 7th gen.

Both of these games have bad framerates though.

I say GoW3. Still looks great to this day, has better IQ than TLoU or GTA 5 and has a pretty steady framerate.

godofwariii-finalbosskq8ia.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Both of these games have bad framerates though.

I say GoW3. Still looks great to this day, has better IQ than TLoU or GTA 5 and has a pretty steady framerate.

godofwariii-finalbosskq8ia.gif

GTAV is impressive because of the scope, though. The thick haze hanging over Los Santos, the mist shrouding the mountains, the sheer enormity of the world and the level of detail that they managed to cram into it. The absolutely perfect warmth of the lighting and attention to shaders.

For all the low IQ and patchy framerate (and frankly I'm kind of staggered they even managed to get something resembling 720p30 out of PS360 in that game), more than any other game I played this generation GTAV felt like a piece of next-gen technology that had somehow been shoehorned into last-gen hardware. I'd buy a 1080p, solid 30fps next-gen edition in a heartbeat.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
From a "wow graphix" perspective I think it's difficult to beat God of War 3 or Beyond.

But from a "I can't believe they managed this considering the technical limitations of the platform" perspective, it has to be Xenoblade.

Qassim

I'd say God of War 3 (and I assume Ascension, but I didn't play that). As mentioned earlier, it had acceptable performance and good IQ. I'm not impressed by a games graphics if it's full of aliasing and bad performance (like GTAV, TLOU).

swnny

To be honest, I'm hardly (if at all) impressed by tech engines and graphics since I saw the demo of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory back in early 2005. Yes, I know it is a game from the PS2/Xbox era, but it was close enough to the X360 release and it did such an impact on me, so I cannot just not mention it here. The very first scene of the begging of the mission was literally jawdropping - a small beach in a cloudy night, the moon and only a single lamp post cast great looking lights and shadows, that still holds very well by today's standards.

So if any game of the passing gen have impressed me at least somehow close to SCCT, it was definitely Grand Theft Auto V. The lightning and shaders are really great looking and considering the scale of the world and all the attention to details, it's where my vote goes to.

Not having a PC release of GTAV only makes me angry, because it looks so damn good on PS360 and I can see it how much better it will be on a decent gaming PC...

Herne

GTA5 should not be possible on these consoles. I don't understand how the hell Rockstar pulled it off.

Keeping the game world limited to mostly outside, which was one thing I was disappointed about - I was hoping for more immersion in that sense as a step-up from GTA IV. Also, a tiny number of people walking around on the streets. I am waiting (endlessly) for the pc version, but I played a tiny bit of it on my flatmate's 360 and I couldn't help but notice just how empty the game world was. GTA V is a hugely impressive game, but let's be real here - sacrifices were made to have it so.

Top Bottom