• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most technically impressive game of the 7th generation?

Phediuk

I think Rage might have to take this with its 720p 60fps on both 360 and PS3. The only problem with it was some bad texture pop-in, here and there (also heard there was some screen tearing on PS3?), but that was a small price to pay for the level of performance it got out of by-then-ancient consoles.

Any other contenders?

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Just can't see past Uncharted 2 & 3, even my hardcore PC gamer friends were impressed by them.

VanWinkle

I think I was most impressed by Uncharted 2 at the time of its release, though Uncharted 3 is probably technically better. I'd say Killzone 2 or 3, Wipeout HD, Beyond Two Souls, and God of War 3 are probably up there in the same realm too.

EvB

Rage was a funny one though, whilst it did look amazing the downside was you were trapped in an almost entirely static world. A videogame still life .

Whilst there are games I liked more, GTA5 was absolutely staggering in terms or overall fidelity and volume of content available within the game world. That must have been no mean feet to have both.

DJIzana

Easily #1 the most impressive.

tumblr_m70m7sZqfm1qb6hdt.gif

I consider God of War 3 & Uncharted 2/3 as the most technically impressive games of the 7th generation, at their time of release.

I weight Uncharted 2 more favourably to the 3rd game due to how much of a bigger impact it had on gamers going from the original Uncharted.

Ishida

Banned
Grand Theft Auto V.
God of War Ascencion.
God of War III.
Beyond: Two Souls.
Uncharted 3
The Last of Us.
Killzone 2
Killzone 3
Metal Gear Solid 4.
Halo 4.

Loris146

I think that GOW 3 was the best compromise in ps360 generation.

Amazing IQ , great textures , stunning in game model , very good performance.

Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, The Last of Us, GTAV off the top of my head. When my non-gaming friends and coworkers ooh and aaah over a game I consider it impressive and those got the most oohs and aaahs.

pakkit

Banned
GTAV from a technical standpoint is incredible. The amount of streaming, data, and subtle in-game systems at play are simply staggering.

EvB

Don't agree with the MGS4 mentions. Even when that game was brand new, I thought Uncharted looked better.

I'd agree with that, I didn't think it looked massively different fro MW2 and Assasins Creed ,beyond the incredible characters/mo-cap.

That is from someone who loves the game and bought a PS3 solely to play it.

MrT-Tar

Super Mario Galaxy 2. I was honestly shocked what the Wii could pull off at 60fps, actually moreso than any of my PS3 games.

Hip Hop

Call of Duty 4.

Nothing impresses me more than keeping 60fps while having fairly good graphics on consoles.

Having good graphics and 30fps, okay.

If you do both, I'm more impressed.

But I'd say GTA V as a technical game. An Amazing world they built.

I'll throw in Just Cause 2 as well. It needs way more love than it deserves. It's too impressive as well. Technically speaking.

Zornica

Banned
Xenoblade
hardly any loading times, gigantic worlds, neat little details everywhere. the grass.
"how is this even possible on wii?"

GTA 5, unbelievable that they got those graphics and it still runs pretty well for most of the game. I never saw the slideshow ever that some have mentioned.. In 50 hours of pay

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Objectively, GTAV is second to none. GoW Ascension close second.

Subjectively, I really loved the visuals (and the gameplay, as well) in Rayman Origins/ Legends.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
GTA5 should not be possible on these consoles. I don't understand how the hell Rockstar pulled it off.

Rage
Halo 4
Gears 3
God of War 3
Beyond: Two Souls

(Gears 3 and Halo 4 both had 4 player split screen, which I consider pretty impressive, given the visuals they had, especially in Halo 4's case).

Edit: Yea, GTAV is pretty crazy as well.

Mugatu

I agree with just about everything mentioned so far but I would also say Gears of War 3 - had a TON of stuff and the expanded color palette made it a very beautiful game (no idea why reviewers acted like this was a thing only in Judgement, Gears 3 had it as well).

Top Bottom