• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most technically impressive game of the 7th generation?

Most impressive given the hardware Mario Galaxy 2 very technically impressive makes me sad Nintendo doesn't compete with graphics anymore. They make beautiful games

Holy shit 0_0 I didn't play this game but it look much better than Ryse on 8th gen. Is this in game?

Yes. By the way, their PS4 tech demo 'The Dark Sorcerer' was made with Beyond's engine, only with higher-resolution assets.

iCBqCFzXGmced.gif

Vashetti

Banned
I know it's cliché to say, but TLOU.

It looks stunning, I never saw these "severe framedrops" like some people mention.

Rage
Halo 4
Gears 3
God of War 3
Beyond: Two Souls

(Gears 3 and Halo 4 both had 4 player split screen, which I consider pretty impressive, given the visuals they had, especially in Halo 4's case).

Edit: Yea, GTAV is pretty crazy as well.

Halo 4 in any form of splitscreen drops to sub 10fps. It's got an awful draw distance. You can scope in across a map and textures won't be loaded.

It's graphically impressive on first viewing but you take a second to scratch the surface and you can see numerous short comings, tricks and cheats to get that effect. The game having Splitscreen means very little if it's unplayable.

Fractal

Banned
I'll go with Skyrim on this one... surprised it managed to work at all on the PS360, despite them having so little RAM...

EvB

Beyond Two Souls has the best character models by far out of last gen.

They are amazing, but it's no Surprise they look like they do when the game is essentially one giant QTE . I love it that games can come in such a wide spectral of experiences.

IcyEyes

Wipeout HD
Motorstorm Apocalypse
God of War 3 and Ascension
Uncharted 2 and 3
Killzone 2 and 3
Rage
Crysis 2 and 3
GofW 3
TLOU
Beyond
GTAV

Fjordson

GTA V. It's not perfect, but what it accomplished on old hardware is impressive as hell

I also remember being impressed by Rage on 360.

CLEEK

The latter gen 1st party PS3 games pushed the console far harder than anything else.

TLoU, Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, Beyond: Two Souls were all technically incredible games. On the 360, Halo 4 was the pinnacle, but trumped by the best PS3 offerings.

Grand Theft Auto V just takes so much and its still mindblowing how they pulled that game off on such old hardware.

Beyond Two Souls character models look better than any current gen game besides Infamous.

The Last of Us was just mind blowing........and that
scene with the Giraffes
was one of the most jaw dropping moments I ever witnessed in a video game and cannot wait to see it on the PS4 version.

Sonys 1st party studios are wizards, they definitely delivered the best looking games on last gen consoles.
But the technically most impressive game to me is GTA V.
Its not the best looking game, but for what it is its mighty good looking.

Kuro

Definitely a tough one to choose between Uncharted 2/3, GOW3/A, and Beyond Two Souls.

I'll go with Skyrim on this one... surprised it managed to work at all on the PS360, despite them having so little RAM...

I don't even....

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Beyond two souls and it's not even close. The graphics are absolutely filmlike in later levels. The aspect ratio does so much for the presentation.

The game chokes on framerate in some spots but mostly it is an absolutely stunning technical achievement.

Raonak

Banned
GOW 3/Ascension

Has great IQ, with no jaggies in sight, high texture quality, good framerate, and is graphically stunning.

Havent played beyond though.
GTAV was also good, interms of scope, but IQ is horrible and framerate isn't too good. same problem with TLOU.

Marche90

From the stuff I have played:

Visually impressive, either the Uncharted series or Beyond: Two souls. The latter looked especially amazing

On a technical standpoint (being on the freaking wii and all) Either the Mario Galaxy games or Xenoblade, due to the sheer scope of the latter.

StuBurns

Banned
Beyond two souls and it's not even close. The graphics are absolutely filmlike in later levels. The aspect ratio does so much for the presentation.

The game chokes on framerate in some spots but mostly it is an absolutely stunning technical achievement.
The performance in that game is so strange, the part that runs the worst in the whole game is that grave in the Navajo bit, and it looks kind of assy and barren, but there's stuff nearer the end in the water locations that look like they feel out of next-gen and they run totally fine.

Justinsimonin

Neo Member
GTA V, draw distances, lighting, pretty solid framerate, physics, effects like cloud layers etc (not even mentioning the typically amazing Rockstar art and design) = technical marvel. Even if it's not on the same level technically I swear it "looks" better than a lot of my PS4 games

Fractal

Banned
I don't even....
OP didn't ask for the visually most impressive game of the 7th generation. If that was the case, I would've gone with something else.

Due to Skyrim's high level of interactivity with many items in the world (which is pretty large), I consider it the technically most impressive 7th gen title. Goes without saying, you are free to disagree...

Famassu

GTA V from a technical standpoint is blood magic.
No, it's a team larger than 1000 developers working for 5 years on a single project. I find what Naughty Dog could do in 2 years with Uncharted 2 & 3 with a team size that is probably less than 1/5th of that to be far more impressive.

Top Bottom