• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most technically impressive game of the 7th generation?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
GTA V

gtav1_by_xbulletz-d6coaz1.gif

Yep

Fjordson

No, it's a team larger than 1000 developers working for 5 years on a single project. I find what Naughty Dog could do in 2 years with Uncharted 2 & 3 with a team size that is probably less than 1/5th of that to be far more impressive.
Those games are tiny in scope next to GTA V, though. Not really comparable.

And there isn't that many people dedicated to a GTA game for five years. In that time Rockstar as a whole released Midnight Club games, GTA IV DLC, LA Noire, Max Payne 3, Red Dead Redemption, etc. The "main" team behind GTA is really R* North.

Uncharted is one of the most technically impressive series around, though, I agree.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Those games are tiny in scope next to GTA V, though. Not really comparable.

And there isn't that many people dedicated to a GTA game for five years. In that time Rockstar as a whole released Midnight Club games, GTA IV DLC, LA Noire, Max Payne 3, Red Dead Redemption, etc. The "main" team behind GTA is really R* North.

Uncharted is one of the most technically impressive series around, though, I agree.
It pretty much is an unprecedented number of people working on the game for longer than everyone else. That's why the budget is like 4x what most games get.

Rembrandt

Banned
No, it's a team larger than 1000 developers working for 5 years on a single project. I find what Naughty Dog could do in 2 years with Uncharted 2 & 3 with a team size that is probably less than 1/5th of that to be far more impressive.

why? GTAV's scope is completely unparalleled and not only did they make one of the best virtual renditions of a city ever, it's not a terrible looking game and it has some of the best water physics in the gen. Graphically, Uncharted 2/3 are lookers, but that's it. I don't see how it's more technically impressive.

RayMaker

Banned
  1. RDR (360 version) - clean crisp visuals, with a smooth frame rate and very little flaws. I was totally immersed in that world, a game I used to dream about as a kid became a reality.
  2. God of war 3 - clean and fluid and some of the most ''OMFG thats super next gen'' moments
  3. GTA5 - a technical feat, though the jaggies and frame rate problems did pull me out the experience - a minor gripe, which is why it got 3rd in my book.
  4. Uncharted 2 - a game that looked and felt like and interactive movie, a blooming stunner.
  5. Bioshock Infinite - thank god for PSN+, after playing through this last month I can very confidently say this is a 7th gen marvel on every level. It breaks my heart that the same team wont be doing a next gen bioshock

DrPreston

I agree with OP about Rage. The game looked as good as BF3 on consoles while performing as well as Call of Duty. I'm convinced John Carmack is some sort of wizard.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Very impressed by the Galaxy-games and Xenoblade considering the hardware its on. For the PS360, I would probably have to say GTAV or Skyrim. I know Skyrim runs terrible on the PS3, but there are just so much stuff to interact with in that game, so even for the terrible performance, its very impressive. And of course, the problems were nowhere near as bad on the 360. GTAV looked stunning as well, and considering its actually not fixed camera (like the God of Wars that get mentioned), or a corridor-shooter like Uncharted, I would say its look is more impressive. All this games looks amazing though.

Havent seen Halo 4 mentioned, but I though that game looked good to, but never got around to play it sadly.

God of War III. This is uncontestable.
Second place would definitely go to the original Crysis. Other games that stunned me technically (relative, obviously, to the hardware they were running on) were GTA: Liberty City Stories, God of War: Chains of Olympus, Sins of a Solar Empire, Super Mario 64 DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, Uncharted 2, Gears of War, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, and God of War II (I still cannot believe this is a PS2 game).

Chettlar

Banned
Forza Horizon actually.

I mean read digital foundry's thing on it (Eurogamer) They constantly talk about how impressive it is, especially in terms of IQ and overall performance.

Really excited to see what Playground does this next gen.

Yeah even though GTA is not really my thing, I feel like it has to be GTA V.

In terms of setpiece action games, I guess Uncharted 3 even though 2 was a better game in every meaningful way.

Fjordson

It pretty much is an unprecedented number of people working on the game for longer than everyone else. That's why the budget is like 4x what most games get.
Sure, but over 1000 people dedicated to it for all five years? That seems impossible to me with all the other games they've put out (some of them getting contributions from all of their studios).

Unless I'm misjudging just how big R* as a whole is :lol

prag16

Banned
Not enough mentions of Beyond Two Souls in this thread. I guess not many people have played it, relative to things like GTA, Uncharted, etc.

And yes, as a few people have mentioned, Xenoblade Chronicles definitely deserves recognition looking at what they accomplished considering the hardware constraints.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sure, but over 1000 people dedicated to it for all five years? That seems impossible to me with all the other games they've put out (some of them getting contributions from all of their studios).

Unless I'm misjudging just how big R* as a whole is :lol

I don't think 1000 people for 5 years is likely either but it is definitely an expensive formula.

Ubisoft does like 800 people on a game for 2 years. Take Two, because they're Take Two, does like lots of people for longer periods of time. But that's the difference between GTA and everything else.

Not that it isn't warranted. Obviously the game can sell as it sells.

lefantome

Uncharted games require a lot less content, are single platform and linear. They can't compete with gta v

Also the 1000 people for 5 years is ridicolous

velociraptor

PC:
Metro Last Light
Crysis 3

Consoles:
God Of War 3 (It still looks insane)
God Of War Ascension
Uncharted 2 and 3 (Like GOW3, looks insane)
Killzone 3
Beyond Two Souls
GTA V
Gears Of War 3 (Impressive lighting)
Halo 4 (best looking 360 title?)

NIGHT-

While beyond looks amazing, there's very little gameplay going on, and something like GTA
V, which has so much going on, is just a lot more impressive to me.

Rembrandt

Banned
I don't think 1000 people for 5 years is likely either but it is definitely an expensive formula.

Ubisoft does like 800 people on a game for 2 years. Take Two, because they're Take Two, does like lots of people for longer periods of time. But that's the difference between GTA and everything else.

Interesting article(s): http://www.develop-online.net/studio-profile/inside-rockstar-north-part-2-the-studio/0184061

Fjordson

Yeah, Ubisoft is monstrous as well. I haven't finished AC IV, but I can only imagine how long the credits are.

GTA V's seemed to last longer than a Mad Men episode. Pretty sure they did.

KOCMOHABT

I think this title has to go to GTA V, because even if it is not the best looking game it sure is technically impressive, with the crazy amount of detail that has been coded into it.

Stuff like the character only gets wet up to the point where he stepped into the water, that's technically really good. There is so much stuff simulated in the world... crazy.

I agree with OP about Rage. The game looked as good as BF3 on consoles while performing as well as Call of Duty. I'm convinced John Carmack is some sort of wizard.

John Carmack hasn't gotten the respect he deserves in recent years since Rage faced numerous delays and ran shoddy on PC's at launch, but the man has spent his entire career shitting on expectations and being Oz the Great and Powerful of Engine Design.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Without a doubt GTA V. What Rockstar has squeezed out of Xbox 360/PS3, I don't think any other dev could have achieved that.

Wozman23

Rayman Origins - The best for artistry. The UbiArt engine blurs the lines between a game and its concept art. I'd say Legends, but some of the 3D elements seemed odd. Plus, for the the people who care about specs: 1080p, 60fps. 2D has its advantages.

The Last of Us - Perfection in visuals, lighting, effects, proper use of the M rating, and narrative.

God of War Ascension (or 3) - Ruler of the fixed camera. Impressive visuals, fast action, and an insane sense of scale.

Grand Theft Auto V - Despite my on again, off again relationship with the franchise and its aging gameplay mechanics, it's hard to discredit the size, detail and interconnectivity of the world.

Rage wouldn't be on my short list, and is disqualified regardless for horrid texture pop-in.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.

Doesn't make it any less impressive.

If we are talking consoles then beyond 2 souls is just ridiculous. Even though it's scripted as all hell it's still impressive.

People tend to forget but some of the levels in Lair were insanely epic with so much stuff going. It was a very impressive game technically, no idea how they pulled off all those units on the battlefield at once.

Top Bottom